Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Arquinsiel posted:

The original figure of him was a cyclops, so I guess it was prescient of whoever gave him the nickname? :shrug:

Yeah I know, I was actually kinda sad he wasn't a literal cyclops when the HH stuff rolled around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Magnus is the kind of book-smart techbro idiot that loses all his money in a crypto scam.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

two short audiodramas in for Eisenhorn, kind of neat.

Two audiodramas where he lists someone wetting themself, however, is kind of weird.

edit: Butcher's Nails has Star Trek the original series beeps and computer boops audio in the background, lol

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 8, 2023

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

Yeah I know, I was actually kinda sad he wasn't a literal cyclops when the HH stuff rolled around

Didn't his model have like 3 different faces? Two eyes, two eyes with one blind and literal Cyclops.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Z the IVth posted:

Didn't his model have like 3 different faces? Two eyes, two eyes with one blind and literal Cyclops.

Yeah it's pretty cool (they've all got one eye, but one is an actual Cyclops)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

D-Pad posted:

At least two more volumes will be released

To be correct it's four books confirmed (including this one), and with more on the way possibly based on some vague wording.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Z the IVth posted:

That's the new model that's like 30 years after the first one.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the patsy of the god of mutation and change mutates and changes, look at that

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I mean, cyclops just means round eyed or something right? maybe he's just an anime

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Zahn McClarnen for the Emperor and I refuse to budge on that point

I mean, he should be in everything so I agree with this decision.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/08/sunday-preview-the-slaves-to-darkness-pour-forth-across-the-mortal-realms/

A couple of new books go up for pre-order next weekend.

First up is Garro: Knight of Grey by James Swallow.
It'll be available both in a fancy schmancy limited edition version:

As well as the usual hardback/ebook/audiobook versions:

After that we have Godeater’s Son by new author Noah Van Nguyen.

Then at last Soulslayer by Darius Hinks is available on paperback.

On the audiobook front we have Armor of Contempt, book 10 of the Ghosts series.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Oh if Battle for the Abyss was solely space battles. After the strong first part, I kinda zoned out for the rest of the book. Caught mostly everything, but when you can write such fun space battles, why waste time on nerdlord Ultramarines crawling around in ducts and having repetitive fights? In any case, Mechanicum seems more interesting.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I thought mechanicum was fantastic when I read it on release.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I like McNeill in general. Even his misses are fun in some ways.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

You mighty like his Forge of Mars trilogy which is pretty good and also very Mechanicus orientated.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

You mighty like his Forge of Mars trilogy which is pretty good and also very Mechanicus orientated.

Oh I probably will, thanks!

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/08/sunday-preview-the-slaves-to-darkness-pour-forth-across-the-mortal-realms/

A couple of new books go up for pre-order next weekend.

First up is Garro: Knight of Grey by James Swallow.
It'll be available both in a fancy schmancy limited edition version:

As well as the usual hardback/ebook/audiobook versions:

Garro is pretty high up in single most boring 30k character so I'll be glad to see the conclusion of his story. Hopefully.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Deptfordx posted:

In a lot of ways it's peak Original Flavor 40k.
It's not as good as Eisenhorn or the Night Lords Trilogy, but in terms of showing the absolute weirdness and misery and wildness of the setting, few things are as ambitious.

OPAONI fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 8, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
first book was 2012. warhams is decades old peeps, 1ed was out 1987. theyd whacked down the lore by 93. so not quite oldhammer

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

bob dobbs is dead posted:

first book was 2012. warhams is decades old peeps, 1ed was out 1987. theyd whacked down the lore by 93. so not quite oldhammer

I meant before they decided to 'advance the plot.' Before Guilliman's return, etc.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
middleagedhammer? interregnumhammer?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mechanicum is from 2008 :psyduck:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Deptfordx posted:

Mechanicum is from 2008.

talkin forges of mars trilogy

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 9, 2023

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yes I know, I was struck by how old some of the earlier HH books are getting now.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Yes I know, I was struck by how old some of the earlier HH books are getting now.

Gosh, this book about Horus rising to power is interesting. I can't wait to see how they finish the trilogy...

<emerges from warp 16 years later>

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 9, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Omnissiah bless Toby Longworth and his lingua-technis voice. Couldn't stop grinning when I heard it.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Dog_Meat posted:

Gosh, this book about Horus rising to power is interesting. I can't wait to see how they finish the trilogy...

<emerges from warp 16 years later>

The Horus Heresy only took seven years, we’re past twice that to write about it!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Zahn McClarnen for the Emperor and I refuse to budge on that point

Emperor, to his collected sons: You shitasses.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

dang book has me taking more notes than a final

It's sometimes easier with paper for sure.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Since we’re still pitching casting ideas, I think Fulgrim should be played by Matt Berry.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mechanicum is a steady B+ book that rapidly nosedives in the last act. Also one of the Knight pilots delivers a middle school fanfiction level quip at the climax, which made me put the book down for a month.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Also one of the Knight pilots delivers a middle school fanfiction level quip at the climax, which made me put the book down for a month.

That's so many McNeil characters, I couldn't get past the first Forges of Mars book because every chapter ended with a really embarrassing one-liner

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

what eventually made me stop reading graham mcneill was the realization that every character in every book speaks with the exact same voice. they all alternate between “pompous fourteen year old on Reddit” and “Joss Whedon if his house had a gas leak.” the one book not guilty of this sin is Fulgrim, which is coincidentally also his best.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's so many McNeil characters, I couldn't get past the first Forges of Mars book because every chapter ended with a really embarrassing one-liner

Is it starcraft 2 levels of "Lets kick this revolution into overdrive"?

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Not a casting idea per se but Ive always wondered why they havent approached Markiplier to narrate an audiobook. Dudes a massive fan of the books, has experience doing audio dramas and sales to his fans alone would probably recoup the fee. Seems like an open goal.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Random Integer posted:

Not a casting idea per se but Ive always wondered why they havent approached Markiplier to narrate an audiobook. Dudes a massive fan of the books, has experience doing audio dramas and sales to his fans alone would probably recoup the fee. Seems like an open goal.

Counterpoint: Markiplier sucks and is bad

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Also one of the Knight pilots delivers a middle school fanfiction level quip at the climax, which made me put the book down for a month.

Sorry bud, but that ruled.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

And that's Mechanicum done. Great book, excellent carnage, good stuff from tip to toe.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Cast Dave Bautista as Malcador the Sigilite, then cast the primarchs from Strangers with Candy, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Danger 5, and It's Always Sunny to illustrate how weird and unnatural the primarchs are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Charlie Day as Angron
Edit: Danny as Mortarion, Glenn Howerton as Fulgrim, Rob McElhenney as Rowboat, Jimmi Simpson and Nate Mooney as Alpharius Omegon.
Edit 2: Kaitlin Olson as Magnus.
Edit 3: Ah poo poo a new page.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 11, 2023