Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Of all people I would not have expected Motronic to be puzzled at this.

It's not an AAV, it's supposedly to prevent wastewater from backflowing INTO the dishwasher from the drain. The waste pipe from the dishwasher is run up to the counter (usually next to the faucet) to the air gap (a fitting that protrudes above the counter an few inches and has a vent), and then down into the sink drain.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/blogs/blog/what-is-a-dishwasher-air-gap

edit: now that I think about it (having grown up in the Northeast), I'm not sure I saw air gaps commonly there, so it seems like it's a majority West Coast thing? The article I linked notes that several Western states including California mandate them. I guess maybe the Northeast uses the high loop method? Very interesting.

On our Bosch 500 (and previous dishwashers) to deal with that you simply attach a section of the drain tube to the underside of the counter, above the level where the tube then enters the drain pipe. That's enough to keep it from backflowing.

e: not my pic but basically this:

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Of all people I would not have expected Motronic to be puzzled at this.

It's not an AAV, it's to prevent wastewater from backflowing INTO the dishwasher from the sink drain. The waste pipe from the dishwasher is run up to the counter (usually next to the faucet) to the air gap (a fitting that protrudes above the counter an few inches and has a vent), and then down into the sink drain. The wastewater from the dishwasher flows up into the center of the air gap and spills over - kind of like a percolator.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/blogs/blog/what-is-a-dishwasher-air-gap

edit: now that I think about it (having grown up in the Northeast), I'm not sure I saw air gaps commonly there, so it seems like it's a majority West Coast thing? The article I linked notes that several Western states including California mandate them. I guess maybe the Northeast uses the high loop method? Very interesting.

Everywhere that's not a thing uses a high loop. A lot of dishwashers, including Bosches, even come with a bracket for doing exactly that. I've never seen a situation in which a properly installed and high looped dishwasher required something else taking up space around a sink.

Sounds exactly like the kind of thing that would get adopted into California building code.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Motronic posted:

Everywhere that's not a thing uses a high loop. A lot of dishwashers, including Bosches, even come with a bracket for doing exactly that. I've never seen a situation in which a properly installed and high looped dishwasher required something else taking up space around a sink.

Sounds exactly like the kind of thing that would get adopted into California building code.

Well I'll be the first one in line to poo poo on California buildings and building code in general (and have done so most of the time in my posts here) so I'm not arguing one way or the other. The proponents of air gap seem to suggest that it goes further than high loop because there's absolutely no way an air gap can backflow (edit: they claim) whereas high loop could in some situations (how much of a chance of happening this has...who knows). I do wonder how the states on this side of the country came to settle on it rather than high loop though - maybe the inventor was Californian. I probably could look further into it but I've gone past my limit on the caring continuum about this, so whatever.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Yeah air gaps for dishwashers in California are like light switch shutoffs for dishwashers in Texas. Or the entire situation with residential electrical in Chicago. Just a quirk of local code that isn't widely adopted.

As for why California specifically adopted an excessive solution to a non-problem, I mean... that sounds pretty California.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

corgski posted:

Yeah air gaps for dishwashers in California are like light switch shutoffs for dishwashers in Texas. Or the entire situation with residential electrical in Chicago. Just a quirk of local code that isn't widely adopted.

The what now?
edit: from/in TX. Never heard of it.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Ohio code calls for an AAV or high loop for residential dishwashers, so i guess we're as good as CA. I've seen both, think it just depends if someone wants wants to pay for it and drill a hole in the countertop.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Darchangel posted:

The what now?
edit: from/in TX. Never heard of it.

It was a thing I encountered in a bunch of Austin houses and apartments built around the mid-80s.

MarxCarl posted:

Ohio code calls for an AAV or high loop for residential dishwashers, so i guess we're as good as CA. I've seen both, think it just depends if someone wants wants to pay for it and drill a hole in the countertop.

AAVs aren't air gaps. An air gap has liquid flowing through it and is designed to overflow into the sink should the outflow get blocked.

corgski fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 9, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

corgski posted:

It was a thing I encountered in a bunch of Austin houses and apartments built around the mid-80s.

It's my understanding that that was a thing when dishwashers were all hard wired. Maybe still is if you have or choose to hard wire a dishwasher for some reason.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Could be, I've just literally only seen it in Austin, not anywhere else I've lived.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Motronic posted:

I'm in Wisconsin and it's common in the few homes I've been in around here, but not sure if it's code or not. But yeah, the Bosch I had put in last week did note that a high loop or an air gap was fine in the owner's manual.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

corgski posted:

Could be, I've just literally only seen it in Austin, not anywhere else I've lived.

Yeah, sorry, I meant in TX specifically, potentially just Austin. I don't know the specifics, but I've never heard of it elsewhere.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

corgski posted:

Same, we actually wound up replacing an old dishwasher early in our first house in Austin because there was a light switch that I couldn't figure out what it went to so, of course, I turned it off. Took several hours and a new dishwasher that still didn't work combined with a cornucopia of inventive cursing before asking neighbors and finding out about the light switch. The old dishwasher would've needed to be replaced anyway within a year or so but it was still not how I wanted to spend that Saturday.

I grew up in the Houston area, went to college in east Texas, and had family all over south Texas and never saw that outside of central Texas.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My worst code annoyance was living in a place that did not allow garbage disposals on sinks at all. Was not fun to forget that every day and then have to scoop out food scraps and cooking debris by hand because the city's medieval sewer system couldn't risk it.

Actually, strike that, the worst is being unable to flush toilet paper.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Beef Of Ages posted:

I'm in Wisconsin and it's common in the few homes I've been in around here, but not sure if it's code or not. But yeah, the Bosch I had put in last week did note that a high loop or an air gap was fine in the owner's manual.

Move to WI a year ago and the dishwasher in my rental has an air gap and a light switch. First I saw both and was confused!

EDIT:

canyoneer posted:

Actually, strike that, the worst is being unable to flush toilet paper.

WHAT?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

corgski posted:

Or the entire situation with residential electrical in Chicago. Just a quirk of local code that isn't widely adopted.

Not just residential!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Super common with some old septic systems, especially abroad. Gotta bin it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Uthor posted:

EDIT:

WHAT?

I used to deliver chips to all kinds of bumfuck Egypt places in Kentucky and a lot of them had signs telling you not to flush.

If the stop wasn't in a town, you generally couldn't flush the tp.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

canyoneer posted:

My worst code annoyance was living in a place that did not allow garbage disposals on sinks at all. Was not fun to forget that every day and then have to scoop out food scraps and cooking debris by hand because the city's medieval sewer system couldn't risk it.

I get that those stupid flat strainers are annoying and useless, but you can retrofit a proper basket strainer into your kitchen sink waste pretty easily.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

VelociBacon posted:

If your dishwasher isn't connected to the cloud you don't need to air gap it but probably doesn't hurt in case there's a Miele zero-day.

:golfclap:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

PurpleXVI posted:

I think it's more the "two small sinks" rather than one big sink design.

it's just a two-basin sink. the only unusual thing is that the basins are separated, vs the typical two-basin sink where it's all one big unit

i don't hate it

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

drat and I thought the tiling job done in my place was annoyingly inconsistent.

(How do you manage to cut the tiles for the side of a bath such that they don't line up with the joints on the tiles on the floor even though they're the same size and make of tile)
Ok ok I'll post it. "It's impossible to predict how tiles will line up".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Beef Of Ages posted:

Same, we actually wound up replacing an old dishwasher early in our first house in Austin because there was a light switch that I couldn't figure out what it went to so, of course, I turned it off. Took several hours and a new dishwasher that still didn't work combined with a cornucopia of inventive cursing before asking neighbors and finding out about the light switch. The old dishwasher would've needed to be replaced anyway within a year or so but it was still not how I wanted to spend that Saturday.

I grew up in the Houston area, went to college in east Texas, and had family all over south Texas and never saw that outside of central Texas.

My current rental house in the north Dallas suburbs has a light switch cutoff for the dishwasher. It's not the only place I've lived in north Texas that has had one, but not all of them have. Which is why I have had a couple experiences much like you describe above - I keep forgetting it's a thing.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I just noticed that where I mounted a TV bracket into the wooden (MDF, probably 30mm at least) fake chimney breast/shelving, they'd actually put a baton behind there to screw into which I neatly missed on account of it being far too small for its intended purpose. I don't think the previous owner had hit it either. Good job I used a bunch of hefty screws I guess.

I saw this while squinting through the massive hole they'd hacked out of one of the sides (hidden inside a cupboard fortunately) after (I'm guessing) they realised they forgot to leave a way to actually run any cables through apart from a tiny hole that it was too small to fish them through.

To add insult to injury, they put a tacky fake fireplace in this thing and built the front over it so to get it out I'd have to cut it out, and even if I did I can't easily turn it into a media shelf because it's not deep enough for standard hifi equipment.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Dishwasher drains, you say?

Lol apartment maintenance.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Meaty Ore posted:

At first I thought this was a deliberate, if bizarre, design choice. Nope. Looks like they wanted to get fancy by putting in that central offset section and hosed up the math.

Something something impossible to calculate where tiles will end up

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/bEt808j.mp4

Worst part (besides the obvious) is running a hammer drill indoors with kids in the same room with no earpro. Feel bad for them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Should have called 811 first.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
drillers hotline

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

"Tell grandma to fetch some canning jars, I feel an inheritance coming on!"

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

I can think of several less complicated ways to engineer my death and that of all visitors to my basement.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

When you're drunk those probably cancel it out and you walk perfectly straight down them.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

I'm pretty sure this is their solution for mitigating the ridiculous pitch of the stairs. Standard size steps would need like three more feet of length total.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it's just a two-basin sink. the only unusual thing is that the basins are separated, vs the typical two-basin sink where it's all one big unit

i don't hate it

I think the biggest issue is that if you center the faucet towards the room, it looks like it would just flow onto the floor at worst, or onto the little bit of counter, and then onto the floor at best. 5 year old me would think that's hilarious, then my day would have to replace whatever was water damaged.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

It might be. I just installed a Bosch 600 last Thursday and the instructions called for a minimum 33" high loop. There was a section that mentioned also installing an air gap at counter level, in addition to the loop, "depending on local code" (EDIT: No mention of hard-wiring being a factor. I bought the Bosch hardwire kit, which is a nifty box, like a US junction box, wired to the proprietary adorable Jones plug for the dishwasher itself. $40.)

The Bosch did come with a snap-on bracket to create that loop at the back of the unit, but I didn't have the depth, so I brought it around the side & up & conveniently over the large gap at the top of the partition between it & the sink cabinet.

See all that foil? That's the dishwasher. Gotta love 1950s stick-built cabinets.

The '84 Kitchenaid it replaced I discovered had no loop at all; I had slammed the 1" heater hose that I used to drain it straight through the floor & installed it on a 3/4" barb on a tee on the sink drain lateral downstream of the link. The hose was slacked to create a trap.

Behold:

The last time I posted this photo in a previous iteration of the plumbing thread, everyone lost their minds. But Dorian approves; he knows what's up.

I don't know why, but it worked perfectly for 14-years with no issues or odors.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 10, 2023

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i don't hate it

Imasalmon posted:

I think the biggest issue is that if you center the faucet towards the room, it looks like it would just flow onto the floor at worst, or onto the little bit of counter, and then onto the floor at best. 5 year old me would think that's hilarious, then my day would have to replace whatever was water damaged.

Tell me you never do dishes without being explicit.

Ok maybe just two basin washing, which is usually pans and stuff. You gotta take washed things from the soapy sink to the rinse basin and you can't even do it over the counter, you gotta drip all over the floor because the stem is in the way.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 10, 2023

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Nitrox posted:

I'm pretty sure this is their solution for mitigating the ridiculous pitch of the stairs. Standard size steps would need like three more feet of length total.

It is, I actually saw this live a few weeks back. It's functional, but looks wild.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Dishwasher drains, you say?

Lol apartment maintenance.

Lol what? That's a perfectly reasonable way to do it. Same way a washer drain is constructed. This would also constitute an air gap for somewhere that requires one without using up space on your sink that could be better used for a soap dispenser and air switch for the disposal.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Motronic posted:

Lol what? That's a perfectly reasonable way to do it. Same way a washer drain is constructed. This would also constitute an air gap for somewhere that requires one without using up space on your sink that could be better used for a soap dispenser and air switch for the disposal.

It's somewhat jury-rigged, also the question of why there's a Y-pipe being used at the end rather than just a straight pipe. Plus the way it's fixed there's a chance that the end could slip out.

The more "correct" way to do it would be something that fixes the end of the pipe rather than something several inches back from the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Nitrox posted:

It is but it's built wrong unless that's a really wide stairway. Each step should alternate in depth so that the foot put forward has a shelf to step onto naturally. The way that one is designed is that you have to choose to have a foot swing to the middle of the stairs every other step.