Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

daslog posted:

I do not understand how married couples can manage finances while maintaining separate bank accounts and splitting the bills. I just can't see that working well, especially once you have kids.

Am I in the wrong here?

I was married and we had one account.

I am now in a 8 year relationship (not married) with 2 houses, a car, a dog, etc. and we keep everything separate.

You totally can do it both ways. For a lot of people having access to their own account is empowering or limits the control the one who manages money can have. if you don't share finances both people just need to be engaged.

Combined finances is probably easier but it doesn't work for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So what would you do if your partner was unemployed for 6 months? Lend them the money and expect it to be paid back?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
For some people that is exactly how it works. For others you would re-allocate your finances such that the current breadwinner is simply responsible for the bills and allocates spending money into the other account. Or that would be the impetus to merge the finances.

Others still would get divorced because they were too rigid in their finances.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I make more and every so often write her a check. This way when one of us goes crazy and spends everything on a bunker full of beans, we won't have zero dollars.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
We went a loooooong time without merging all the accounts. (poo poo, I think I still need to get her name on one or two).

She was paying the mortgage and utilities, and I got everything else. It just kinda flows that way sometimes, as you get older and bring more assets to a relationship. She had the house, I had equities, kinda worked out.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

daslog posted:

So what would you do if your partner was unemployed for 6 months? Lend them the money and expect it to be paid back?

My partner went through a few month period like this and I just took care of the bills. We went over her finances and decided to keep her emergency funds in place and have me cover everything. We could have used her emergency funds but I could cover the bills and know she would have done the same so it was the more prudent choice. Talking about it all was the important part.

I am not saying you shouldn't combine finances, especially if that is what works best for you guys.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

daslog posted:

I do not understand how married couples can manage finances while maintaining separate bank accounts and splitting the bills. I just can't see that working well, especially once you have kids.

Am I in the wrong here?
The only way I’ve see it work long term is when it’s only technically true — in effect the couple pooled nearly all their income, but each had a $XXX dollars/mo no-questions-asked allowance.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Separate accounts here, she pays some bills and I pay others. We transfer money between us in the event of a large expense, like booking flights/hotels for a trip together.

We've had the "what if one of us loses our job / changes careers / has a health emergency" talk and are comfortable keeping the other afloat, though we'd have to tighten our belts.

Banking together and separately each make sense to me, all up to the people involved. My grandpa thinks we're nuts, but unbeknownst to him, grandma hated having a shared account with him running/overseeing everything. Wife and I are transparent with our balances and I trust her, so :shrug:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Look it's only technically her account ok? We're married, we share everything, just let me withdraw it all already

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Epitope posted:

I make more and every so often write her a check. This way when one of us goes crazy and spends everything on a bunker full of beans, we won't have zero dollars.

Speaking of spending down to zero I just bought this years ibond's for my account. Probably going to wait until I find out how much I owe for taxes to do hers. My paychecks are net-$0 until my 401k and espp fill up for the year so it's not exactly going to backfill quickly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
My wife and I have joint everything except like IRAs and a few credit cards that I use for work. She generally manages the money in the household from an operational perspective. I occasionally provide input if she asks. We talk about big picture every quarter or so.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My wife and I have joint everything except like IRAs and a few credit cards that I use for work. She generally manages the money in the household from an operational perspective. I occasionally provide input if she asks. We talk about big picture every quarter or so.

Same, except we kept our separate credit cards we had before getting together. All payments come out of the joint bank account so we can see each other’s spending trends but not specific purchases.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We've had separate bank accounts since we got together (10+ years) and it works fine for us. Every month she deposits her portion of the mortgage and bills. I pay the mortgage and some bills, she pays the others. We have a joint emergency fund, joint savings, and then she does what she wants with her money and I do what I want with mine.

I now make significantly more than her, so I've taken on more of the monthly stuff

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My peers are primarily people in their 2nd+ marriages, getting hitched in their mid to late 30s, so pre-nups are ubiquitous and everyone's finances are separate.

I'm curious what the younger crowd is doing though. Is marriage even particularly popular for that demographic? I swear everyone under 27 is a Doomer now and thinks the world is going to end before they're 40

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

My wife and I have completely separate accounts. I track and pay all the monthly expenses and she writes me a check at the end of the month for her half. :shrug:

(Yes, we are 30-something’s that still have checks to use. Once we run out we’ll join the 21st century and use Venmo or whatever.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I have like 600 checks. It's awesome. I love writing checks.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

I have like 600 checks. It's awesome. I love writing checks.

You could write one to me, or a few, why not. I like checks too, it would be nice if you to share them

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Three novelty checks coming right up!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

THF13 posted:

I do a couple of bank account bonuses a year. I don't do ones that require me to keep more than $1500 in the account to get it or to avoid a fee, and I avoid ones that require debit card transactions.
Unlike credit card bonuses bank account bonuses are considered interest and you will need to pay tax on them, they will get reported to the IRS and a form sent to you.

Load Amazon credit $1 a time for the number of required transactions. All set.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

TraderStav posted:

Load Amazon credit $1 a time for the number of required transactions. All set.

Can't speak to Amazon but I've tried this with all kinds of small purchases from Venmo to currency for videogame cosmetics, and what I've run into is that lot of banks will put a fraud freeze on your account if you try to batch too many similar payments at one time. So it becomes a thing where you have to remember each day to come back and do a few more, and gently caress all that. When you account for the fact that these bonuses are taxable while the larger credit card ones aren't, it's almost never the most profitable use of your time. THF13's ruleset is a good one imo

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

What’s the current recommendation for asset allocations in retirement accounts for early 40s (41 & 42)? I’m in the middle of maxing+back dooring IRA contributions (2022 done today, 2023 next month when bonus hits + RSUs vest).

We were at 90/10 until our late 30s. I’ve been trying to rebalance with contributions, but right now we’re sitting at ~15% bonds across Roths and 401k. I’m planning on manually rebalancing after 2023 contributions next month.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

EPICAC posted:

What’s the current recommendation for asset allocations in retirement accounts for early 40s (41 & 42)? I’m in the middle of maxing+back dooring IRA contributions (2022 done today, 2023 next month when bonus hits + RSUs vest).

We were at 90/10 until our late 30s. I’ve been trying to rebalance with contributions, but right now we’re sitting at ~15% bonds across Roths and 401k. I’m planning on manually rebalancing after 2023 contributions next month.

I'm curious to hear. You might want to ask the long term thread. Over the past decade or so, I think consensus was probably that 15% was right where you wanted to be at this point. Or even less, given that you could hardly get any return from bonds.

But the yield on bonds has gotten pretty good lately! Not a bad time to pick some up.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

anyone have a good site that has news about why one currency has gained/lost vs another one?

i guess basically articles like this: https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/emerging-markets-thai-baht-leads-gains-in-asian-fx-fed-minutes-in-focus and this: https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2474359/baht-tipped-to-have-a-strong-year

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Exchange rates are basically indistinguishable from magic.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Exchange rates are basically indistinguishable from magic.

i know that apparently its just random banking entities that set it, at least for ones that aren't traded often.. but for the others i would be curious as to why certain currency rates change and want something that just has that all on one site

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Re: splitting bills with your SO, we use the app Splitwise. We try to enter all shared expenses in there upon payment or at least by the end of the day. It’s painless.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

i know that apparently its just random banking entities that set it, at least for ones that aren't traded often.. but for the others i would be curious as to why certain currency rates change and want something that just has that all on one site

I was trying to avoid some kind of effortpost so I will keep this kind of simple. Note that this is undergrad level understanding from 15 years ago.

Currencies respond to supply and demand pressures the same as other good. If you were to consider a two-entity economy, where one entity uses USD and one uses the Euro. People in the US want to buy goods or services from Europe. In order to do so, they have to exchange their dollars for euro. This increases demand for euro, and thus means that you will have to spend more USD to buy one euro.

Now, extrapolate that to a complex global economy with a lot of currencies so that all currencies are priced in all currencies, and layer in fiscal and monetary policies, and that's why its basically indistinguishable from magic. Nobody is going to tell you why exchange rates change because they can't, really. It's a good on a free* international market, so there are may factors driving its value.

*not all currency exchange is free floating - you have things like pegged currency (ultimate interventionist levels, where a central bank intervenes to keep their currency priced at a fixed rate to another currency (typically USD) by buying or selling that other currency) and various semi-floating currencies where interventions occur but are not so aggressive. There are many reasons to try to manage exchange rates; a common one is attempting to ensure the competitiveness of exported goods. But it's expensive to do so. The Chinese central bank previously had a very strict exchange rate policy designed to keep RMB at about 8.25 to the dollar. They have gotten a lot more relaxed but they still describe the exchange rate as a "managed floating exchange rate" which basically means a wider band tether. All else equal the RMB would appreciate against the dollar due to balance of trade and other factors, so the bank must purchase dollar-denominated things on the open market to prop up the RMB's value. This is in part why China holds a lot of dollar-denominated treasury debt and also why at various times the Chinese government has encouraged substantial offshore investment in dollar-denominated projects.

This is of course insanely simplified.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

hey i get it, if anyone knew the exact reasoning they'd all be rich by now. and i get that you can't just distill things that happen in the economy to an exact one thing that caused it. i'm just looking for general information about what the two countries were doing that may have caused the exchange rate to change. if there are indeterminable outside factors that's also fine

i posted two articles that are in the ballpark of what i'm looking for in terms of information. i had to do some google searches to find that so i'd prefer just to read a website and get the gist of what is going on..

also to be clear, i'm not looking to use this information to trade forex or anything, i'm just curious and there didn't seem to be any other subforum really to talk about this.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 12, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

in recent months a lot of exchange rate fluctuations have been driven by central bank rate changes (or expectations thereof).

hence why the dollar gained against the euro and yen most of last year, with the fed leading rate hikes, but has lost ground since late oct / november (roughly) when the fed slowed down to 50 bps hikes instead of 75. at the same time ECB was getting increasingly hawkish and BOJ started signaling possible policy changes (which more recently led to them allowing their bonds to float in a wider range).

but yeah it's a mess of factors to untangle beyond just opaque central bank plans

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I may be moving to a new job in the greater NYC area. They posted it with a salary range of 45-60 and I said I was looking for at least 65 since that's what I was making at my previous job. Old job was 35h work week, state benefits, all tools provided, one site/no travel. This job is 90% travel with my own car to NYC and as far as Boston and Long Island, and even Florida and the Virgin Islands. Travel ranges from one day to a few weeks. They haven't made an offer but did ask "hypothetically" how soon I could start. Would I be way out of line asking for 85k based on all of that? They sound like they're urgently trying to find people.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Sounds like a mountain of overtime. How does that work? Are you currently still at the state job? Because the state job sounds cushy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you can always ask for whatever you want and i would be looking for pretty good money. as someone with a heavy travel job, you need to get compensated accordingly because you will most likely log insane hours of work+travel.

Make sure about their mileage reimbursement policy.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
you would not be out of line asking for 120k. a few weeks at a time? sheesh

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Sounds like a mountain of overtime. How does that work? Are you currently still at the state job? Because the state job sounds cushy.
I'm not, it was cushy but I didn't realize how miserable it made me until I left. I'll check about overtime since the guy said work away from home is still in business hours with hotel, meals, and expenses covered

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can always ask for whatever you want and i would be looking for pretty good money. as someone with a heavy travel job, you need to get compensated accordingly because you will most likely log insane hours of work+travel.

Make sure about their mileage reimbursement policy.
I'll definitely ask about reimbursement and compensation.

Spokes posted:

you would not be out of line asking for 120k. a few weeks at a time? sheesh
No way is anyone paying an A/V installer that much, but I'm going to push it. Supposedly more than 2 or 3 days is only a once or twice a year thing.

To be honest, I don't want this job and they're going to have to pay me more if they want me to take it. On the other hand, I've been out of work since summer 2021 and don't want to pass on something since I haven't had much success job hunting.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you should accept this job after some slight negotiations

edit: you should also look for another job too but you should accept this job if you have been out of work for 1.5 years

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

And you should post in the negotiation thread for help with that slight negotiation.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

No way is anyone paying an A/V installer that much, but I'm going to push it. Supposedly more than 2 or 3 days is only a once or twice a year thing.

Is this a company on the NJ side that starts with a C? I was an A/V installer for a bit in PA. It’s not a glamorous job, but it paid the bills.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you should accept this job after some slight negotiations

edit: you should also look for another job too but you should accept this job if you have been out of work for 1.5 years
I'm going to take it even if I can't get the salary up, but continue looking for another job with a <10 minute commute since there are plenty of companies in need of people around here.

SlapActionJackson posted:

And you should post in the negotiation thread for help with that slight negotiation.
Done.
quote="Cacafuego" post="529089082"]
Is this a company on the NJ side that starts with a C? I was an A/V installer for a bit in PA. It’s not a glamorous job, but it paid the bills.
[/quote]
The one the AMX guys in NYC refer to as "the company from New Jersey"? No, this is in northern Westchester

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

GWBBQ posted:

I may be moving to a new job in the greater NYC area. They posted it with a salary range of 45-60 and I said I was looking for at least 65 since that's what I was making at my previous job. Old job was 35h work week, state benefits, all tools provided, one site/no travel. This job is 90% travel with my own car to NYC and as far as Boston and Long Island, and even Florida and the Virgin Islands. Travel ranges from one day to a few weeks. They haven't made an offer but did ask "hypothetically" how soon I could start. Would I be way out of line asking for 85k based on all of that? They sound like they're urgently trying to find people.

How many nights away from home a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

slurm posted:

How many nights away from home a year?
50-65% of the time, but I don't have to use my own car so no mileage reimbursement. The offer is $65k, health insurance, no vision or dental, 10 days/2 weeks flex PTO, and first 3 months at gross pay as a 1099 worker. I'm hoping to get an offer for way more from a competitor that said they would let me know by Friday, but I'll just have to see if they actually get back to me; that one was another "when can you start?" phone interview and the guy flat-out said "what we need is another genius type who has seen everything and can fix whatever the crew on-site runs into, and you sound like that kind of guy." I'm hoping it's just time zone delays since I'm on the east coast of the US, the guy who interviewed me was in Ireland, and his business partner is on the west coast. Not wanting to constantly travel is one thing, but salary plus optional overtime and all-expenses-paid travel on the clock makes it a lot more palatable since the farthest I've been from home outside of an airport was Miami.

I'm not going to give up and stop looking for something better, especially with the 1099 bait and switch that wasn't mentioned during the interview although the guy who runs the office is really nice and has a particularly adorable dog. I'm touching up my resume and writing cover letters to a bunch of single-location M-F jobs in my area. Aside from A/V and IT tech jobs, there are a handful that pay over $100k base, plus commission, that I'm more than qualified for if I suck it up and break my personal "I don't want to work in management" rule.

I'm also spending a lot of my free time cramming on Coursera Plus as a refresher on some programming skills that I've forgotten*. There's a potential, very lucrative opportunity with a medical startup and I'm currently reading a book on Keras for healthcare applications while practicing optimization problems in both TensorFlow 2 and
D-Wave Leap.

* - holy poo poo, do I feel old having learned C++ in my freshman year CSE101 class