Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

enhance

hmm

Although considering the date, it could be referring to Ukrainians in Iraq.

And yeah it says China and Russia on those arms. So most likely a protest against the war in Iraq?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Lord of Pie posted:

If you don't report the casualties, they didn't happen

bing bong, so simple

Russian losses: heavy
Ukraine losses: unknown

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

skipping tragedy and going straight to farce

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay Condoleeza Rice how the gently caress was 1914 an unprovoked attack

It was the provocation of all provocations

The Central Powers sent Serbia a goddamn engraved provocation in loving gold leaf

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The united front against the NYT grows

https://twitter.com/BMarchetich/status/1612458779815149573

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Neo Nazi's like that guy should be given a Tesla to drive

sum
Nov 15, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

The New York Times? This one?

March 2022
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/03/05/world/russia-ukraine

May 2022
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/26/briefing/russia-ukraine-war-end-negotiations.html

August 2022
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/24/world/europe/russia-ukraine-war-toll.html

September 2022. I went out of my way to find some of the NYT's more positive coverage for Ukraine. In is they dare to ask if it's even conceivable that Ukraine might win, and their answer is "maybe"
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/13/briefing/ukraine-counteroffensive-kharkiv-war.html

Some ending excerpts of the "Ukraine on the March" article above:

mlmp08 how exactly does 3 rehash articles prove your point that the NYT hasn't been heavily slanted towards the AFU? This is one of the stupidest loving takes you had

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Zelensky should learn to spell his own name. Like which one is it buddy?
@ZelenskyyUa
https://www.facebook.com/zelenskiy.official/

Frosted Flake posted:

That's what's blowing my loving mind here. It's a complete misunderstanding of Verdun (The French even then emphasized "spending steel and sparing flesh") and more to the point... the loving Ukrainians are outshot 20:1 by their own reporting. This is not how you fight a battle of attrition, and I'm sincerely struggling here because clearly either ideology or politics is overriding decision making. Which is to say, you would only embark on the dumbest possible course of action if you thought you were racially superior and heroism overcomes asiatic cowardice, or if your western allies told you to and you had no alternative.

Verdun, but without the firepower, good God.

Verdumb.

More seriously, isn't fairly common for one side to attrit the other whilst taking much heavier losses and for that to be the goal and a win? Like North Vietnam for instance. Ukraine mostly has troops and I guess their best chance of success is making the war politically unviable for Russian leadership. I'm not sure their ideologically strong enough to take the one million or so deaths that North Vietnam took though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Egg Moron posted:

neoidealism

sounds like thoughts and prayers to me bitch

"you go get immiserated and maimed and die for democracy and I will be over here feeling feelings about it"

gently caress off with that weak soft boy bullshit

You live in a world where that weakling is setting policy. Feelings are more important than reality.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

Russian losses: heavy
Ukraine losses: unknown

No Ukranian losses reported, therefore a great victory!

Why all those vehicles in the distance must be our forces returning to base. Wow look how many Russian vehicles they captured.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

sum posted:

mlmp08 how exactly does 3 rehash articles prove your point that the NYT hasn't been heavily slanted towards the AFU? This is one of the stupidest loving takes you had

You are making an attempt to reframe my point as one I never was making.

Ardennes made the claim that

Ardennes posted:

(Even the NYT has pivoted from the pervious narrative "of endless defeat and slaughter for Russian forces" to "well...its like Verdun.")

I think this characterization is clearly inaccurate.

I think that reading what the NYT has published shows that while their writers clearly prefer Ukraine win or get a favorable negotiated end to conflict over Russia's goals, they have never been one of the reporters describing a "narrative 'of endless defeat and slaughter for Russian forces'"

I think either Ardennes hasn't been reading the NYT and just assumed from ignorance that they have been reporting the above narrative, or maybe just reads articles poorly. I think NYT writers favor the AFU's cause. But I think it's poor reading comprehension if someone actually reads their stuff and thinks they've been reporting a narrative of endless defeats and slaughter of Russian forces.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Like imagine them writing an article this harshly negative about Ukrainian mobilization, or even writing one at all: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/16/world/europe/russia-draft-ukraine.html

mlmp08 posted:

You are making an attempt to reframe my point as one I never was making.
You weren't making a point that the articles you referenced supported your argument? Why did you cite them then stupid?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

what about the ghost of kyiv

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

sum posted:

Like imagine them writing an article this harshly negative about Ukrainian mobilization, or even writing one at all: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/16/world/europe/russia-draft-ukraine.html

You are addressing a point that neither I nor Ardennes were addressing. If you want to say that you think the NYT prefers Ukraine's goals over Russia's, you're right. You're also arguing against an argument no one made.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

sum posted:

You weren't making a point that the articles you referenced supported your argument? Why did you cite them then stupid?

You are getting emotional and failing to understand the basic reading of the point I made. Ardennes either made an assumption that the NYT reports that Russia is facing "endless defeat and slaughter", or Ardennes has been reading their articles but pretty severely misunderstands them.

If anything, the NYT is maybe a little bit more gloomy about Ukraine's chances than some of the more cheerleadery publications.

This is not the same as an argument that NYT writers wouldn't prefer to see Ukraine come out of this conflict favorably.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

You tankies say Ukraine is full of nazis, but the nazis are all russians. Explain that :smug:

I know neo nazis need no ideological coherency, but how do Russian nazis justify fighting for Ukraine in this war? Have they twisted themselves into believing Putin is a Jewish homosexual? I hope they are having a bad time being surrounded by Ukrainian nazis who base their nazism on being anti-Russian, but they have probably developed some race science way around it

sum
Nov 15, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

You are addressing a point that neither I nor Ardennes were addressing. If you want to say that you think the NYT prefers Ukraine's goals over Russia's, you're right. You're also arguing against an argument no one made.

OK sure how about you make explicit the point you're trying to prove and how those articles you cited do that.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

You tankies say Ukraine is full of nazis, but the nazis are all russians. Explain that :smug:

I know neo nazis need no ideological coherency, but how do Russian nazis justify fighting for Ukraine in this war? Have they twisted themselves into believing Putin is a Jewish homosexual? I hope they are having a bad time being surrounded by Ukrainian nazis who base their nazism on being anti-Russian, but they have probably developed some race science way around it

How do nazis justify to themselves fighting for the Ukrainian state? Hmmmmm.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

sum posted:

OK sure how about you make explicit the point you're trying to prove and how those articles you cited do that.

Ardennes made a claim with zero evidence that the NYT has been reporting a "narrative 'of endless defeat and slaughter for Russian forces.'" I think that either he has severely miscomprehended the reading, or maybe he hasn't read the NYT narrative and just is making an assumption that it's one of "of endless defeat and slaughter for Russian forces."

His claim is unsupported by any evidence. I provided counter-examples of how the NYT has been writing about the war over the span of several months, so as to make it clear that I wasn't cherry-picking one article. If you read them, you will see that they do not provide a narrative of endless defeat and slaughter of Russian forces. They provide a picture of a pretty uncertain and desperate fight, one in which Russia has many advantages over Ukraine and questions the idea that Ukraine could achieve a position of dominance, much less was on path to achieve such a position. You can read them yourself. They're not long-forms, so it's quick and easy. I linked them above.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Shut up

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

All the major papers said Putin suffered hundreds of thousand of war dead FULL STOP

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ukraine should lose territory just like the Finns did. The GOP in the House is too weak to cut off aid to Zelensky's miracle weapons

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

You don't need to convince me that Brett Stephens is a dumb opinion column writer. Well known.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Ukraine should lose territory just like the Finns did. The GOP in the House is too weak to cut off aid to Zelensky's miracle weapons

Well they also like selling weapons to Ukraine and getting kickbacks too.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Ardennes made a claim with zero evidence that the NYT has been reporting a "narrative 'of endless defeat and slaughter for Russian forces.'" I think that either he has severely miscomprehended the reading, or maybe he hasn't read the NYT narrative and just is making an assumption that it's one of "of endless defeat and slaughter for Russian forces."

His claim is unsupported by any evidence. I provided counter-examples of how the NYT has been writing about the war over the span of several months, so as to make it clear that I wasn't cherry-picking one article. If you read them, you will see that they do not provide a narrative of endless defeat and slaughter of Russian forces. They provide a picture of a pretty uncertain and desperate fight, one in which Russia has many advantages over Ukraine and questions the idea that Ukraine could achieve a position of dominance, much less was on path to achieve such a position. You can read them yourself. They're not long-forms, so it's quick and easy. I linked them above.

OK sure here's a quote from one of the articles you linked

quote:

Russia and Ukraine have kept their military casualties a closely guarded secret, though Western analysts believe both have sustained heavy losses.

Gen. Valeriy Zaluzhnyi, the top commander of Ukraine’s armed forces, said Monday that about 9,000 Ukrainians had been killed at the front. Speaking at a conference for veterans, he did not say whether that included all the branches of Ukraine’s military; the number could not be independently verified. In comparison, in the eight-year conflict between Ukraine and Russia-backed forces, around 13,000 Ukrainian soldiers and civilians were killed.

Russia last gave an official military toll in March, when it said that 1,351 of its troops had been killed. At the time, American officials estimated the figure to be around 5,000.

Four months later, the British military estimated that 25,000 Russians had been killed and tens of thousands more wounded. And this month, Pentagon officials estimated that 70,000 to
80,000 Russians had been killed or wounded; they put the number of deaths at 20,000. U.S. officials said their estimates were based on satellite imagery, communication intercepts, social media and on-the-ground media reports.
For Ukraine's military casualties, they cite Zaluzhny uncritically. They don't bother asking an independent expert on what Ukraine's casualties actually are, presumably because they don't want to know. For Russia's casualties, they give a perfunctory reference to the Russian MoD and accuse them of lying in the very next sentence, and spend the entire next paragraph essentially saying that the Russian's have taken many times more casualties than Ukraine has. This directly contradicts your extremely stupid thesis that "they do not provide a narrative of endless defeat and slaughter of Russian forces."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

You don't need to convince me that Brett Stephens is a dumb opinion column writer. Well known.

that’s the nyt my man

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Majorian posted:

Well they also like selling weapons to Ukraine and getting kickbacks too.

That's to Saudi Arabia our stalwart ally! Not gangster Ukrainians that only democrats seem to like.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"impressive without being imposing" is now my favorite euphemism for "short"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

more nyt

….

more

euphronius has issued a correction as of 01:59 on Jan 10, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nonsense posted:

That's to Saudi Arabia our stalwart ally! Not gangster Ukrainians that only democrats seem to like.

There's a Guy Ritchie movie that was supposed to come out last year but was held back because the bad guys were gangster Ukrainians

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

sum posted:

OK sure here's a quote from one of the articles you linked

For Ukraine's military casualties, they cite Zaluzhny uncritically. They don't bother asking an independent expert on what Ukraine's casualties actually are, presumably because they don't want to know. For Russia's casualties, they give a perfunctory reference to the Russian MoD and accuse them of lying in the very next sentence, and spend the entire next paragraph essentially saying that the Russian's have taken many times more casualties than Ukraine has. This directly contradicts your extremely stupid thesis that "they do not provide a narrative of endless defeat and slaughter of Russian forces."

Why do you think that estimating 70k-80k casualties is the same as a narrative "of endless defeat and slaughter for Russian forces"? It's a number of casulaties, and Putin has signified that it is one he finds sustainable and will continue to fight his smaller opponent.

The DOD's take in November 2022, by comparison, was that Russia had suffered a very rough estimate of over 100,000 casualties and that Ukraine had likely suffered similar numbers of casualties in their own forces. The NYT reported on that. Ukraine is a much smaller nation than Russia, so taking casulaties at a 1:1 ratio is better than utter defeat, but I cannot imagine how you see that as a narrative of endless defeat for the Russians.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/10/world/europe/ukraine-russia-war-casualties-deaths.html

euphronius posted:

more nyt

….

more

Yes, these are all examples of you not understanding that the NYT has not reported "endless defeat" for Russia.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

https://dzen-ru.translate.goog/a/Y5rOghZEL3s1C5lV?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Remember Russia's single remaining aircraft carrier that's been sitting on cinderblocks in drydock for a decade because their single remaining ex-soviet floating dock that's big enough, sank because the doors got stuck open and also one of the cranes fell over onto the flight deck?

Well the new bigger floating dock arrived from China today, so they're getting it back into action soon!

*EDIT: hopefully the production line for the navalized Sukhois is still around and hasn't been sold for parts since they stopped making them 15 years ago!

remember when they sent it to syria and lost a Su-33 during landing when the cable broke, and then also a Mig-29 right after takeoff? lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m not making any claim. just posting nyt

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
In that case, making fun of their dumbshit editorials is always welcome, my bad

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's been a while so I picked up some Riga gold today, and anyone who speaks poorly of Latvians should feel bad. Those sparts are so good, love them.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
mlmp is right that NYT has provided a sober - specifically for western media - appraisal of Ukraine's losses and ability to continue the intensity of warfare for the long term, while still ideologically cheerleading Ukraine and not questioning their press releases. I don't think that's terribly controversial

nobody thinks the NYT is being fair and biased. saying "they don't only report on Ukraines successes or reframe their losses as wins" is true though

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lostconfused posted:

It's been a while so I picked up some Riga gold today, and anyone who speaks poorly of Latvians should feel bad. Those sparts are so good, love them.

legitimately jealous of you right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 15, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Why do you think that estimating 70k-80k casualties is the same as a narrative "of endless defeat and slaughter for Russian forces"? It's a number of casulaties, and Putin has signified that it is one he finds sustainable and will continue to fight his smaller opponent.

Yeah good point how could something cited in an article and their relationship to the other things cited in the article somehow suggest a narrative. That was silly of me to even suggest. I take it all back