Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I just met a guy on factory who had a altyn helmet + face mask, trooper armor, an mp7 with a silencer, and a blackrock vest w/ grizzly. The interesting part is that he was shooting Action SX ammo. Is there some gimmick here I don't understand or was this guy using terrible ammo with a really expensive kit? I killed him with a ump and level 4 armor presumably because his bullets were too poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Rahu posted:

I just met a guy on factory who had a altyn helmet + face mask, trooper armor, an mp7 with a silencer, and a blackrock vest w/ grizzly. The interesting part is that he was shooting Action SX ammo. Is there some gimmick here I don't understand or was this guy using terrible ammo with a really expensive kit? I killed him with a ump and level 4 armor presumably because his bullets were too poo poo.

Not terrible ammo at all, just leg meta. The idea is their armor keeps them relatively safe from conventional strategies, and they leg you dead in less than a second.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Trooper armor is also a bad idea in Factory given the likelihood of stomach shots. Someone probably found an Altyn and thought they were hard.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Ah I must have gotten lucky then, I did have 2 limbs blacked out after the fight. :sweatdrop:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I hope everyone saved their USEC starter M80 :negative:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm glad of the changes. Do the same for more ammo and scopes and then other stuff and then kill the flea market once and for all.

Find it/craft it/barter it if you want to use it. Any of it. All of it.

But make keys more common and go back to unlimited use for most of them.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Turn the flea market into the key market. All keys all the time.

And maybe meds.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Turn off all options to buy anything, hardcore for all

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I'm totally fine with moving super powerful ammo towards traders 3+4. People forget that good ammo is EVERYWHERE for looting. Redditors are very mad they can't effortlessly build the most powerful gun platforms in the game after 2 weeks of wipe

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm still adjusting to all the different ammo types, it's a lot to learn when you live in a country with no firearms. :laffo:

I learnt the hard way earlier as I attempted the iron sights bolt action quest yet again and my peashooter sks didn't do poo poo to the unarmoured scav.

He tanked 5 shots then murdered me, I was using AP rounds and apparently if something has no armour at all, ap is far worse?..

I would think 5 bullets going through me would be very bad but apparently it's just a little bit of a nuisance

But I did loot 2 MP5s and 1 SCAR earlier on a scan run so it's all good.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

most likely you hit a bunch of different limbs and he was bleeding into death's arms but you just didn't manage to knock the torso or head to 0 before he got you

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I'm still adjusting to all the different ammo types, it's a lot to learn when you live in a country with no firearms. :laffo:

I learnt the hard way earlier as I attempted the iron sights bolt action quest yet again and my peashooter sks didn't do poo poo to the unarmoured scav.

He tanked 5 shots then murdered me, I was using AP rounds and apparently if something has no armour at all, ap is far worse?..

I would think 5 bullets going through me would be very bad but apparently it's just a little bit of a nuisance

But I did loot 2 MP5s and 1 SCAR earlier on a scan run so it's all good.

I could be wrong about this but I'm not sure an SKS counts as bolt action

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Danknificent posted:

It does not.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
The lovely lil squirrel blaster vpo-215 does count as a bolty tho, if you can get a hold of some AP-M .366 from an ammo box or a random mag lying about, it fucks very hard for its price.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Shannow posted:

The lovely lil squirrel blaster vpo-215 does count as a bolty tho, if you can get a hold of some AP-M .366 from an ammo box or a random mag lying about, it fucks very hard for its price.

100% this. I love the VPO-215 and it's super common, moreso than the Mosin.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
What kind of automatic guns/builds do you guys recommend with level 1/2 traders? I'm level 16 and I have no idea the difference between all the random AKs and SMGs.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

poe meater posted:

What kind of automatic guns/builds do you guys recommend with level 1/2 traders? I'm level 16 and I have no idea the difference between all the random AKs and SMGs.
UMP if you can make the barter from Peacekeeper.
PPSh if you can afford the drum mag and discipline yourself to shoot the legs.
AK-74U if you can find a few mags worth of PS or PP ammo.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
The suppressed kedr is another good leg shooter, fairly cheap and easy to get ammo for

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah 9x18 is poo poo but clearly beggars can no longer be choosers.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The VPO is good and APM rocks but it's MOA at 100 durability is bad and you *will* miss shots with it that you would have hit with a mosin

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
.366 TKM also drops like a rock.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Danknificent posted:

Well that's silly, it's clearly bolt action. At least I think it is.

I'll mess about with the VPO later if I get a chance then.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

you don't know what bolt action means

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Hooplah posted:

it's when the bolt does action, duh

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hooplah posted:

lol. the gun has a bolt doesn't it? part of the operating action? it's obvipuasly a bolt action

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Personally I use the UMP for Tarkov shooter part 3. not sure why people find it so difficult.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
On the subject of all these rifle quests, I had an interesting thing happen--I think was with 'Calibration' where I was doing my thing and suddenly got a notification that I'd completed a subtask or something. I'd engaged and killed some guys earlier in the raid but moved on rather than trying to finish the fight. I guess someone I shot bled out while he was more than 100 meters away or something. Kind of neat.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Well that's silly, it's clearly bolt action. At least I think it is.

Think of guns you have to manually cycle the bolt between each shot, like a mosin. If the action of firing both shoots and readies the next shot so you can just pull the trigger again (like an sks) then it is not bolt action.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 10, 2023

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Yeah, bolt action like the toz

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol. the gun has a bolt doesn't it? part of the operating action? it's obvipuasly a bolt action

The SKS is a semi-auto rifle. That little handle on the action is to pull it open to load rounds.

Mosin and vpo-215 and bolt action, you'll see you PMC manually pull the bolt after back every shot to load a new round.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Has anyone else had this game play like poo poo since Friday? I haven't made any changes to my settings or computer, but now when I start a raid it freezes for several minutes once I load into the map.

Blatantly double post.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Hooplah posted:

I was actually thinking of a different gun altogether it seems.. I was actually thinking about the T5000-M which I got from a twitch drop.

I'm not very up to speed with all this stuff and I apologise! We don't get much exposure to guns in Europe I'm afraid. I humbly apologise to all my gun toting, school schooling American comrades for not knowing the intricacies!

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I'm not very up to speed with all this stuff and I apologise! We don't get much exposure to guns in Europe I'm afraid. I humbly apologise to all my gun toting, school schooling American comrades for not knowing the intricacies!

You're being really weird.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

guns... in europe? never heard of them

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

where is tarkov set again?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Mischievous Mink posted:

You're being really weird.

I just felt the comment was a little passive aggressive so I thought I'd poke fun at American gun culture. Sorry if that was lost in translation.

Edit: I'm also literally autistic and prob worth mentioning I could have totally misunderstood between language and being spergy.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

where is tarkov set again?
Nice work sneaking “Russia is part of Europe” in there :v:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Whoever it was that mentioned that little cheap .366 rifle btw, thank you. That and the AP ammo is working a treat for me.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Na I think you are fine, I’ve met people who know even less about guns at the range (helps when a range is right next by an international airport and will give you a gun to shoot so easily)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

sinburger posted:

Has anyone else had this game play like poo poo since Friday? I haven't made any changes to my settings or computer, but now when I start a raid it freezes for several minutes once I load into the map.

Blatantly double post.

Since some Friday in 2016, yes.