Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also dear GOD the airbrushing in that poster. I-5 doesn't have that many cracks filled in on its whole north-south run. The whole season is ostensibly about "Jesus gently caress everyone is so old now, let's send them out with some dignity (...maybe?)" why not let them be old on the poster for gently caress's sake? This is the reason you ditched all the youngins on the cast, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Brent Spiner hasn’t looked like that since 2004.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The final shot of Picard should be Reg Barclay saying “Computer. End program.” and the whole show is revealed as his attempt at Enterprise crew fanfic.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Imagine your black hole drive fails. The safe fail option is that it blinks out and your ship is dead in space until it gets towed back to space dock. The bad option is that it turns into a real black hole and eats your ship and any nearby planets and stars.

Having it fail unsafe just once and eat a colony could do a lot to turn the public and other empires against the technology.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

And even then, I'd argue that Ransom and Freeman are actually fairly good at their jobs, more Ransom than the captain, it's just that they're shitheads most of the time and it takes various crises to bring out their best, as seen in each season finale thus far. Jack Ransom is probably THE perfect XO for a ship and crew like the Cerritos.

Migleemo is a fuckhead though. Nothing brings out the best in him.

Freeman in particular is good at being a negotiator, but she's a diplomat to a fault. Her two big hangups are her daughter, which causes her to make bad decisions sometimes, and her desire to settle things peacefully even when getting shot at by creatures screaming for her blood. She's gotten better since season 1 and 2, but she still wants to talk even after it's obviously too late to negotiate.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Twincityhacker posted:

With matter/anti-matter drives it was "concluded" that going above a certain speed ( I think warp five ) damages space-time, and that you could only do so for emergencies and then it was "discovered" that by subtlely changing the route you take, the rut that forms from use of the warp drive doesn't occur.

I think this was all in TNG, and that damaging space-time by warping was written out by the time DS9 happened - Voyager was making a one way trip, so the minute damage of the matter/anti-matter drive on a single pass wouldn't have come into Janeway's calculations.
Even better, they didn't bother to explain that it was fixed on the shows, only in the behind the scenes stuff

I'm all for collector plates as posters

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

You always put the villain on the poster. Well, the villain is not gonna be the TNG crew, and it's not gonna be Seven, so by process of elimination it's...Raffi?

I guess there's the ol Brent Spiner Wildcard

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

You always put the villain on the poster. Well, the villain is not gonna be the TNG crew, and it's not gonna be Seven, so by process of elimination it's...Raffi?

Bill Soong will be an amazing antagonist. His plan to crash the Moon into Earth with solar sails will make for a riveting final season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Amanda Plumber is playing the villain this season. The burning mystery of this season's plot is why does this seemingly random woman no one's ever heard of or seen before want to hunt down and murder a bunch of old fucks who've been retired for like 25 years now?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

Imagine your black hole drive fails. The safe fail option is that it blinks out and your ship is dead in space until it gets towed back to space dock. The bad option is that it turns into a real black hole and eats your ship and any nearby planets and stars.

Having it fail unsafe just once and eat a colony could do a lot to turn the public and other empires against the technology.

What if your black hole drive fails badly enough that it sets your sun up to supernova your home star system?

I mean, something like that would definitely wean my rear end off of using the technology that did that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Insufficient data

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t care if it is basically TNG season 8, at this point I’d genuinely pay to not see Spiner in a Trek ever again.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t care if it is basically TNG season 8, at this point I’d genuinely pay to not see Spiner in a Trek ever again.

Script for the season just leaked. Turns out it's a pretty direct Being John Malkovich adaptation, but just with Brent Spiner in the titular Malkovich role.

Sorry. :(

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Matter/antimatter warp drives never caused any weird problems, right? Like breaches, or strange wormholes, or salamander mutation, or

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Spiner Spiner? Spiner spiner spiner. SPINER!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Isn't "Being John Malkovich, but Brent Spiner" basically just Fresh Hell? :v:

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, I'd just plot them all into a Seven Samurai situation and have them go out individually, guns/bat'leth/hyposprays/empathy blazing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe at some point off screen an enemy found a way to reliably destabilize the micro black hole containment fields. At which point it blinks out of existence or stops being micro.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Ehhhhhh that's not really how it works. A black hole emits more energy the smaller it is, and to use as a useful power system you actually need something extremely tiny, on the order of a few hundred thousand tons, and thus with the gravitational pull of a few hundred thousand tons, which is effectively nothing. It's a few hundred attometres in size. Failure to 'contain' it would I guess mean losing it during acceleration, and then it it'd slip straight out the back of your ship between the atoms and evaporate out of existence of the course of the next year or so. In order to keep its size up by feeding it you'd have to aim a deliberate particle stream right at it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 10, 2023

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

nine-gear crow posted:

Amanda Plumber is playing the villain this season. The burning mystery of this season's plot is why does this seemingly random woman no one's ever heard of or seen before want to hunt down and murder a bunch of old fucks who've been retired for like 25 years now?

My theory for a bad season is they just steal the plot from Prodigy and she's from some planet in TNG that Picard ruined.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tars Tarkas posted:

My theory for a bad season is they just steal the plot from Prodigy and she's from some planet in TNG that Picard ruined.

Picard would totally be the show to take all the lessons of Prodigy and go "how can I made it dumber though? :hmmyes:"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tars Tarkas posted:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/io9/status/1612594463603589124

Also P-Stew has joined Frakes in going "Maaaaaaaaybe this isn't the final season? Aren't I a cheeky bugger now?"

Again, it's really sounding like Matalas finally broke him this season and he's come around on the idea that just doing TNG-2 really is fun as poo poo and wants to just keep going with all the rest of the old fucks.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Every time the Singularity Drive stuff reemerges I'm reminded of a quote by a prominent comic book writer from few years ago that was along the lines of "Children have better media literacy than adults because they understand they are experiencing a story and easily grasp the obvious, while adults start obsessing over rules and asking increasingly stupid questions"

There are numerous reasons why that technology may no longer used, but at the end of the day I know it was not the One Weird Trick that defeats The Burn because it did not do so and nobody including the people who created it use it anymore.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also P-Stew has joined Frakes in going "Maaaaaaaaybe this isn't the final season? Aren't I a cheeky bugger now?"

Again, it's really sounding like Matalas finally broke him this season and he's come around on the idea that just doing TNG-2 really is fun as poo poo and wants to just keep going with all the rest of the old fucks.

In fairness, this isn't totally new, he's been saying things along those lines since before they even wrapped filming early last year

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

no, please stop :(

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

It better be better than the first two seasons then.
But let's be real. There'll probably be an episode or two that seem decent and then it'll probably go downhill from there. There will probably be a mishmash of ideas that individually sound good on paper, but then you see it and ehh. Not to mention the stuff that gets included for no discernable reason at all, or the downright creepy and bad stuff.
So far Strange New Worlds is the only live action series that has pulled off being a Star Trek.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

My biggest wonder about the Burn is whether the Ni'Var Science Acadamy is going to open back up their warp gate project. Since it's been ruled definitive that the warp gate project did not cause the Burn, there's no reason why they wouldn't.

The writers did put small notices towards the resolved problem in season four - the Discovery is running dilithium supply missions, the machinery of DASH drive has been miniturized from a room to a small console with Stamets and Allerilo working on the navigatior issue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Twincityhacker posted:

My biggest wonder about the Burn is whether the Ni'Var Science Acadamy is going to open back up their warp gate project. Since it's been ruled definitive that the warp gate project did not cause the Burn, there's no reason why they wouldn't.

The writers did put small notices towards the resolved problem in season four - the Discovery is running dilithium supply missions, the machinery of DASH drive has been miniturized from a room to a small console with Stamets and Allerilo working on the navigatior issue.

Voyager-J is also testing a new dilithium-free or low-dilithium drive, the Pathway drive.

With the warp gate stuff, Ni'var had major concerns about it causing a crisis before the Burn, so I doubt they'd be willing to restart.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Picard Season 3 spoiler

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

"Picard...season 3...is...questionable."
-- Patrick Stewart

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Picard season 4 is just him doing donuts and stunt jumps around Chateau Picard with a huge futuristic dune buggy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

Picard season 4 is just him doing donuts and stunt jumps around Chateau Picard with a huge futuristic dune buggy.

Already better than Season 2.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Star Trek: Fetish club leathers night

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's amazing how every poo poo post idea is still better than the Picard S2 we got.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Season 3: every time Picard begins to deliver a line, a tooth flies out of his mouth

This somehow happens forty times

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Payndz posted:

https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/1612605929261768706?s=46&t=1KVECN53dWNEsmtbrB9giQ
"So the good-guy ship that looks remarkably like the original Enterprise is being chased by the bad-guy ship made out of knives." I think we've reached peak Star Trek.

Quickly browsing this thread in mobile I thought that the person in the middle was aged Wesley, not Riker.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SpeakSlow posted:

I mean, I'd just plot them all into a Seven Samurai situation and have them go out individually, guns/bat'leth/hyposprays/empathy blazing.
Blake's 7 ending. Everyone is shot dead except Picard, who stands over Data's corpse, raises his gun and smiles. Cut to credits with no music, just the sound of gunshots.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheCenturion posted:

Also, vis-a-vis the whole 'Disco and SNW have 'modern' computer interfaces, because nobody would accept a new show full of buttons and toggle switches,' I can't help but love how much Andor didn't just lean into the 70s aesthetic, they leaped in with wild abandon.

The last ten years or so of touchscreen and capacitive interfaces in cars have convinced me that the TOS Enterprise was onto something with its myriad brightly colored discrete physical switches, and it could totally be retconned as a "have you ever tried to use a touchscreen while the bridge is on fire and the inertial dampeners are offline" phase of UX development

LCARS being the inevitable swingback the other way, because now we've really got the inertial dampeners handled and it's so much more flexible isn't it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I once had a rental car with the climate control/AC being part of the touchscreen menu and that was hell to try and operate while driving.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

retcon the brightly colored switches to actually just be RGB keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/io9/status/1612594463603589124

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc