Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Giving one person too much creative freedom is how we get the stuff the franchise doesn't need, like The Timeless Children, or the 'Time Lords are in eternal fighting with ancient hyper intelligent mammoths that existed before the universe' or 'half human on my mother's side' kind of ideas.

Isn't it also how we got The Deadly Assassin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m really interested in RTD2 to see if/how he’s changed as a writer. It’s A Sin was so good and heartfelt and gut-wrenching, and I’d love to see bring even half of that kind of emotional depth to the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

I’m really interested in RTD2 to see if/how he’s changed as a writer. It’s A Sin was so good and heartfelt and gut-wrenching, and I’d love to see bring even half of that kind of emotional depth to the show.

Seriously, after It's a Sin I have extremely high hopes to see what RTD does on a second run of the show, that was absolutely incredible television.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What’s this about mammoths

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

I will give Disney carte blanche to do whatever they want as long as I can get this shirt I've had for
(edit oh god im old) 15+ years canonized

Edit: Weird, art is flipped on my shirt vs the image. Whatever, it still rules and it's the best thing to come out of a 6 month relationship. She was great but that shirt was greater.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021

Narsham posted:

The BBC has always been in a position to ruin the show without any help from Disney, anyway.

This, the idea that somehow Disney notes are going to be worse than the notes from a channel that is now run partially as a propaganda arm of an extreme right wing political party that operates concentration camps is kinda wild.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Maxwell Lord posted:

What’s this about mammoths

In Lawrence Miles and Lance Parkin's interpretation of Doctor Who lore, before the Time Lords established the web of time, they were in conflict with the Original Mammoths, who were a race of interdimensional mammoths who had great cities carved into their tusks. They survived through human's race memory of Earth Mammoths, and one was reborn and captured in the court of George III, managed to anchor itself in the version of reality where the Eighth Doctor cut out his second heart and then the Mammoth became an aspect of The Enemy, the abstract concept that the Time Lords fought in the War in Heaven timeline.

It's....a lot.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

In Lawrence Miles and Lance Parkin's interpretation of Doctor Who lore, before the Time Lords established the web of time, they were in conflict with the Original Mammoths, who were a race of interdimensional mammoths who had great cities carved into their tusks. They survived through human's race memory of Earth Mammoths, and one was reborn and captured in the court of George III, managed to anchor itself in the version of reality where the Eighth Doctor cut out his second heart and then the Mammoth became an aspect of The Enemy, the abstract concept that the Time Lords fought in the War in Heaven timeline.

It's....a lot.

Uhhh I don't think this is quite true tbh.

My understanding is that Miles just wrote a deliberately bizarre couple of lines about Mammoths in a book back in the 90s, and occasionally had mammoths turn up as a symbol of the universe's dimming irrationality in other works since. There really wasn't any lore to it.

Then some dude wrote a bunch of lore about them about four years ago and had them published in some fan anthologies which Miles doesn't really get involved with -- to say less of Parkin.

Current generation Faction Paradox stuff is made by second generation fans, and some of them can get really high on how loopy and weird the series supposedly is, and write accordingly. The original material was not that weird, where as this current stuff is kinda hacky ngl.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

OldMemes posted:

It's....a lot.

After taking a break from Doctor Who stuff to read REAL LITERATURE* I've curated a small selection of 8th Doctor Adventures to read, and hoo boy Alien Bodies has some wild-rear end poo poo in it. Time Lords may come out of looms, but TARDISes? TARDISes gently caress. TARDISes gently caress and make baby TARDISes because they're trying to create genetically diverse TARDISes so that they can't all be wiped out with a single virus. Also, one of the TARDISes is a woman and a Time Lord travels around inside of her, and yes, I've checked the author page three times and Steven Moffat didn't write it.

*Hunchback of Notre-Dame, solid 8/10; Lolita, utter work of genius, shame everybody missed the point, including me when I was 17, 10/10

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uhhh I don't think this is quite true tbh.

My understanding is that Miles just wrote a deliberately bizarre couple of lines about Mammoths in a book back in the 90s, and occasionally had mammoths turn up as a symbol of the universe's dimming irrationality in other works since. There really wasn't any lore to it.

Then some dude wrote a bunch of lore about them about four years ago and had them published in some fan anthologies which Miles doesn't really get involved with -- to say less of Parkin.

Current generation Faction Paradox stuff is made by second generation fans, and some of them can get really high on how loopy and weird the series supposedly is, and write accordingly. The original material was not that weird, where as this current stuff is kinda hacky ngl.

Oh OK, I stand corrected. The Eighth Doctor books got insane enough as they were anyway.
I find it amusing that there's basically an entire bootleg Doctor Who setting based on concepts from books that haven't been in print for over twenty years.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the modern series took a lot from Miles, and from Alien Bodies in particular. The Time War started there, for instance.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The only eighth doctor novel I've read was (I think) the last one, with the fly aliens who show up and puke on people to mark them for eating and pheromones make everyone else think those people are dead and refuse to acknowledge they're still walking around trying to get their attention

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
RTD's first run would have been far better if a boring Disney suit-type was there to offer the odd 'uh maybe don't have this character gently caress a pavement slab in the mouth' type note.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pastamania posted:

RTD's first run would have been far better if a boring Disney suit-type was there to offer the odd 'uh maybe don't have this character gently caress a pavement slab in the mouth' type note.

But think of all the Princess Slab merch they'll be putting out in the coming years

Even comes with a set of chalk to pretty her up

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsid0ssuMYI

4K AI upscale and restoration of the 1982 mini doc featuring Peter Howell dissecting the Doctor Who theme

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Pastamania posted:

There's a line in Frozen which implies Kristoff is a little too close to Sven.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean we can hypothetically imagine an executive kiboshing all the things we didn’t like but that’s hindsight. They’re just as likely to object to good ideas.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rochallor posted:

After taking a break from Doctor Who stuff to read REAL LITERATURE* I've curated a small selection of 8th Doctor Adventures to read, and hoo boy Alien Bodies has some wild-rear end poo poo in it. Time Lords may come out of looms, but TARDISes? TARDISes gently caress. TARDISes gently caress and make baby TARDISes because they're trying to create genetically diverse TARDISes so that they can't all be wiped out with a single virus. Also, one of the TARDISes is a woman and a Time Lord travels around inside of her, and yes, I've checked the author page three times and Steven Moffat didn't write it.

*Hunchback of Notre-Dame, solid 8/10; Lolita, utter work of genius, shame everybody missed the point, including me when I was 17, 10/10

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Doctor Who: TARDISes? TARDISes gently caress.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Engaging in and/or reading others' competitive prognostication is something with which I believe I'm reaching my lifetime limit after arguing on the internet this last quarter-century.

None of us knows what is happening now, nor what is going to happen here. We seem to agree that Disney interfering with the show would be troubling, but not whether or not it will happen or if it is already happening (via network notes, which every network has always given) and frankly, I don't see the utility in arguing about it when "if it happens, it's worrying, but we'll see what that means when these shows air" is right there.

But that isn't a position that facilitates the opportunity for a years-later I-told-you-so that gives you that sweet, sweet "nobody believed me, but I proved them wrong" dopamine hit.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I mean, this is naturally what's going to happen when we're a year out from the next episode, and 2 (?) years out from an actual new Doctor. Baseless speculation is all that's available to us.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously, after It's a Sin I have extremely high hopes to see what RTD does on a second run of the show, that was absolutely incredible television.

On the other side, Years and Years was a hackneyed brick of nonsense. He's always had this in him - The Second Coming is marvellous*.

*Fantastic!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Time enough to go through the Faction Paradox books and audios!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sat down to a belated rewatch of Husbands of River Song, and for a special that involves multiple beheadings and the annihilation of an entire starship of genocidal maniacs, it's surprisingly funny

From "Carolers will be criticized", to Twelve being jealous, to bringing the head of Hydroflax to a room filled with people who adore him... :allears:

Also some absolutely amazing facial acting all around, whether it's watching a dozen different emotions play across the Doctor's face when he realizes his wife takes the TARDIS for a joyride when he isn't looking, and the slow-dawning comprehension that builds to a loving "Hello sweetie"

"Every night is the last night for something. Every Christmas is the last Christmas."

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’m carrying on with my mission to watch all surviving classic Doctor Who and have finished up the Fifth Doctor era.

We’ve gone from a strong run finishing up with The Caves of Androzani and are now on The Twin Dilemma.

Jesus Christ.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Yeah, it's an amazing record scratch moment watching Androzani and then Twin Dilemma right after. And to think they thought it would be a good idea to end the series on that one.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Yeah its just...yeah. I have no idea how ready any scripts from the following season were but considering the next story is Attack of the Cybermen it would have been far better to end on that one.

So...Kamileon.

He's a bit poo poo isn't he? I could never figure out when I was younger who this Kamelion was and why I'd never seen him, and it turns out its because he is only in two episodes. He's a bit of a non-character who only seems to exist to suffer and fall under the influence of the Master and prove to be an enormous risk to the protagonists. To top it off its a very advanced and complicated prop which somehow manages to look as cheap as the rest of the show. I have to say I was rather relieved when the Doctor blew him away.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
It makes a bit more sense when you realize they were threatened with more strikes at the end of that season, so rather than end with Androzani and run the risk of losing it (like they did with the Dalek story scheduled for the end of Season 20), they brought it forward to ensure they didn’t lose it to the strike.

Of course, why they chose Twin Dilemma and its questionable characterization of the Doctor is a whole other question…

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kamelion was a bit of a cursed object. His software designer, Mike Power, was killed in a boating accident not long after the robot was accepted to appear in the series. Unfortunately, Power had never written fully detailed operating instructions, so operation of the prop was nigh on impossible.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

All that and it somehow looks less convincing as a robot than a guy in a tin foil costume would have been

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The worst thing about Kamelion is that he looks like a doughy guy wearing a nearly sheer deep-v

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I never understood why it didn't occur to them that they didn't need to use the prop if it didn't work right. The character is literally a shapeshifter who can look like anyone!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Angry Salami posted:

I never understood why it didn't occur to them that they didn't need to use the prop if it didn't work right. The character is literally a shapeshifter who can look like anyone!

Shapeshifters were always underutilized due to technology in the 80s and 90s, look at Odo.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Doctor Who and the Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Need someone to photoshop that on a Target novelisation.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Coward posted:

Doctor Who and the Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Need someone to photoshop that on a Target novelisation.

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 9, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Spoiler alert: RTD is going very avant garde and is going to expand on The Macra Terror for the next decade, if this youtube sidebar ad is anything to go by

Astroman posted:

Shapeshifters were always underutilized due to technology in the 80s and 90s, look at Odo.

Odo's a bit different because he couldn't do people so you couldn't just have a guest star, always some CG.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

From the gross food thread:

click through to see the context

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I've tried worse in college, like a literal smores pizza that was so bad they gave me a regular pizza for free just because I was the only one that at least tried it

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CommonShore posted:

From the gross food thread:

click through to see the context

Meant to post this ITT but didn't hit back enough time:

Please tell me someone has tweeted that to Sean Pertwee for confirmation...

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Lovely!

Welp, I've bought the book, I have to finish reading it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Does that cover feature all the Doctors… and Adric?

Is Adric a secret incarnation of the Doctor?

Probably for the best I posted this after Chibnall stepped down.