Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Shame Boy posted:

If you're a responsible adult without depression and/or ADHD life is easier, news at 11

I've had crippling depression for 30 years, do the loving dishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shame Boy posted:

No I won't, because a big mac has been scientifically engineered over several decades to fire my reward centers in ways bread and cheese and roast beef alone are simply incapable of.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Wait, y'all got food trucks that actually drive around and poo poo?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
embrace tradition

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
If ya think going out to eat is bad, try working in a restaurant through the whole pandemic ( been working there like 8 years total), only to be making a couple bucks more an hour than new hires. :rubby:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

No I won't, because a big mac has been scientifically engineered over several decades to fire my reward centers in ways bread and cheese and roast beef alone are simply incapable of.

Simply not true unless (a) you are hopelessly addicted to HFCS and/or (b) you are buying lovely cheese and bread.

I realise this is in fact the case for the majority of America tho.

Within 5 minutes of my house I can buy a sourdough loaf straight from the bakery oven, a big hunk of Delice de Bourgogne cheese, and a pat of quince jam to add a little tart sweetness :yum: . That's probably 3 days of fancy-lad lunches that poo poo all over fast food for considerably less than a Big Mac meal. So, Albini is dead-on, for certain values of location and life circumstance which corporate America is seeking to foreclose wherever possible

BrotherJayne posted:

Wait, y'all got food trucks that actually drive around and poo poo?

Some stay parked outside bars, some drive around (as trucks are known to do), some are ice cream vans

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_RTPstP6hU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All the more knowing he's a nonce. (Or was, didn't he died?)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I haaaate washing dishes, so I adapted my cooking to minimize needless extras. Half-liter bowls end up being a surprisingly useful 'one size fits all' thing that's easy to wash and store, constantly used during cooking, and also something you can serve soups and stews in. Even works for stuff like cereals.

Also, subjectively speaking, less 'gross' than most regular dishes if they pile up, although ideally you never get to that point.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://mgmt.wharton.upenn.edu/programs/mba/dei-major/

By investigating how social, psychological, and economic factors affect the performance of individuals, groups, and firms, the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion major prepares students to face the challenges involved in creating and maintaining organizations that are diverse, inclusive, and rooted in equity. As organizations attempt to harness the contributions of many stakeholders, students who pursue the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion concentration will not only be well prepared for DEI-focused careers, they will also be prepared to be leaders of change in any organizational role.
. . .

At least 1.5 credit units must come from these foundational courses:
. . .
  • BEPP 7650 Business Economics and Discrimination (spring)
  • LGST 6420 Big Data, Big Responsibilities (0.5 cu, fall)
  • MGMT 6240 Leading Diversity in Organizations (0.5 cu, fall Q2)
  • MGMT 7720 Power and Politics in Organizations (0.5 cu, fall Q1)
  • MGMT 7940 Understanding Careers (0.5 cu, spring Q4)

The remaining credit units may also be selected from these courses:
  • LGST 8080 Law at Work (not offered in 2022-23)
  • MGMT 6910 Negotiations (cross-listed with LGST 8060 and OIDD 6910, fall and spring)
  • MGMT 7730 Managing Organizational Change (0.5 cu, fall Q4)
  • MGMT 7860 Reforming Mass Incarceration and the Role of Business (0.5 cu, fall Q2)
  • MGMT 7930 People Analytics (0.5 cu, cross-listed with OIDD 7930, fall Q3)
  • MGMT 7990 Prison Education (0.5 cu, fall Q4)
  • OIDD 6900 Managerial Decision Making (fall and spring)
  • OIDD 6930 Influence (0.5 cu, spring)

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

The whole thing was a bougie construct to be able to act like lords and ladies for an evening anyways

Fine dining, sure, but there are plenty of cases where working people of all incomes should be able to get a hot meal without having to prepare it themselves. It's a demand that isn't going anywhere, just like how barbers took a haircut (:smuggo:) during the quarantine, the industry as a whole isn't going anywhere.

That said, you're right about cooking at home. And it's never been a better time to learn with all the cooking knowledge available on YouTube, etc, for anyone not already preparing most of their meals at home.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Eat everything with your hands, preferably off a bread bowl or wrap, and there's hardly any dishes to wash!

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

mawarannahr posted:

LGST 6420 Big Data, Big Responsibilities (0.5 cu, fall)

What classes are you taking this semester, honey?

I dunno, big nipples, big life or something

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mawarannahr posted:

• BEPP 7650 Business Economics and Discrimination (spring)
  • LGST 6420 Big Data, Big Responsibilities (0.5 cu, fall)
I got my wires crossed and read the combination of these two as "Big Data, Big Discrimination", which would be both a more honest course name and also lol it's number 6 420

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Simply not true unless (a) you are hopelessly addicted to HFCS and/or (b) you are buying lovely cheese and bread.

I realise this is in fact the case for the majority of America tho.

Within 5 minutes of my house I can buy a sourdough loaf straight from the bakery oven, a big hunk of Delice de Bourgogne cheese, and a pat of quince jam to add a little tart sweetness :yum: . That's probably 3 days of fancy-lad lunches that poo poo all over fast food for considerably less than a Big Mac meal. So, Albini is dead-on, for certain values of location and life circumstance which corporate America is seeking to foreclose wherever possible

Some stay parked outside bars, some drive around (as trucks are known to do), some are ice cream vans

My point is "a mouthful of salt and starch and sugar and fat" will light up your reward centers way more than that and it has nothing to do with how refined your pallet is or how good the bread you can buy is and everything to do with your lizard brain being programmed by millions of years of evolution saying "holy poo poo you have found the best energy source of all, wow!!!" Like put your head in a big fancy science machine that measures objectively how much dopamine your stupid rear end is secreting for each one and I guarantee the big mac will cause it to secrete more.

Though I guess you could make the argument that "enjoyment" should encompass more than that, like appreciating a better and more interesting taste, or not feeling vaguely disgusting and a little sick right after you're done eating, which sure I agree with, but then I can't make a pithy post about it, so shut up.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

MGMT 7860 Reforming Mass Incarceration and the Role of Business (0.5 cu, fall Q2)

Oh man that one sounds dire

At least it's only 0.5 cubic falls

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Big Macs ftw.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Shame Boy posted:

If you're a responsible adult without depression and/or ADHD life is easier, news at 11

It took me years to get into this habit motivated solely by my spouse getting irritated with me, but it's an amazing habit to get into. I try to clean up before I get to eat, gives me a goal at the end. Then you only have the dish you ate off of to clean at the end.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the time poo poo is cooking in the oven or the instapot is a good time to clean

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's a burger.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

My diet consisting solely of fast food is actually just, scientifically, the most pleasurable option

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

the cost of a big mac meal is what $10?

I dunno if I'm getting good cheese and bread for that these days around here. Admittedly it would last longer than a big mac

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
one of the things i started doing during covid and kept up with is meal delivery kits.

with Home Fresh for roughly about $50 a box you get 2 nicely portioned dinners which is more then enough for me and my 2 kids. usually you even get leftovers.

its alot cheaper then say if i wanted to go to like Applebee's and it scratches the itch of having different meals

plus you can skip weeks which i do all the time so i end up getting them 2 or 3 times a months. all the ingredients are right there, portioned for you and you can always customize it with whatever you have around the house.

the only thing that annoys me is that it feels wasteful paying for so much individual packaging.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Cerepol posted:

the cost of a big mac meal is what $10?

I dunno if I'm getting good cheese and bread for that these days around here. Admittedly it would last longer than a big mac

Yeah you gotta price out over multiple meals, I kept track of price per meal when I was cooking for a bit and it's interesting. It also made me buy beef a LOT less, that poo poo makes any meal cost a ton more.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

The Nastier Nate posted:

one of the things i started doing during covid and kept up with is meal delivery kits.

with Home Fresh for roughly about $50 a box you get 2 nicely portioned dinners which is more then enough for me and my 2 kids. usually you even get leftovers.

its alot cheaper then say if i wanted to go to like Applebee's and it scratches the itch of having different meals

plus you can skip weeks which i do all the time so i end up getting them 2 or 3 times a months. all the ingredients are right there, portioned for you and you can always customize it with whatever you have around the house.

the only thing that annoys me is that it feels wasteful paying for so much individual packaging.

bonus: keep all the recipe cards and now you can make the dinners again for even cheaper!

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
My first goal when I got a house was a big rear end pantry, and a deep freezer. Without those and buying in bulk it would cost a lot more to eat, also I love learning about new foods. It's really hard to be prescriptivist about cooking and eating for reasons like that and time and the value to the individual.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I just want to eat a burger once a month.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I try to home cook my dinner five nights a week and limit eating out to lunch/weekends. But some of that is the fact that I have time and knowledge. I’m really blessed in that I live in a place where there are a lot of phenomenal restaurants all around me and they make stuff I probably couldn’t at home. If I lived way out in suburban hell where my only options were Applebees and ruby tuesdays and Olive Garden and maybe an anemic Thai place or Mexican place I probably wouldn’t ever eat out

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's one banana, Michael. What could it cost? 10 Dollars?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PerniciousKnid posted:

If I make tacos at home my 4yo cries and runs away.
Protip: Let the kid eat only the parts of the taco they want. Do not make any part of it spicy; make a separate sauce for the grownups. If the kid wants to just eat cheese on theirs, go for it. When you turn tacos into "you get to choose what you eat" they become a treat. Ditto British-style curry with all the little side dishes.

Also, try offering flour/corn tortillas as well as fried taco shells.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Paladinus posted:

I just want to eat a burger once a month.

Just make the burger at home then? If you want fast food quality you can buy the buns, but you can also make a large batch of dough and freeze it in bun sized portions (or invite friends over if you're into those).

The thing that originally made fast food meaningful was economy of scale (and absolute willingness to compromise on quality). But it sounds like the American system is just hosed over so it's not even worth it any more.
Boutique places with good fast food is a newer and better invention, usually with actual passion for the food involved. These places are generally good, but they're absolutely not saving you money and probably not time unless you live literally on top of them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Fast food is not a modern invention.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BonHair posted:

Just make the burger at home then? If you want fast food quality you can buy the buns, but you can also make a large batch of dough and freeze it in bun sized portions (or invite friends over if you're into those).

The thing that originally made fast food meaningful was economy of scale (and absolute willingness to compromise on quality). But it sounds like the American system is just hosed over so it's not even worth it any more.
Boutique places with good fast food is a newer and better invention, usually with actual passion for the food involved. These places are generally good, but they're absolutely not saving you money and probably not time unless you live literally on top of them.

No, I'm going to buy a burger.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Demilich posted:

If you clean the dishes immediately instead of letting them sit there all gross and poo poo getting crustier by the minute it ends up not being a big deal.

I tend to make somewhat elaborate meals for Saturday and Sunday, which get me through the week for lunch. I'll end up running 3 loads over the course of this because, I do all the prep work early, when I'm full of energy, and then throw it all together when it's time to actually cook it (and I've had a couple of cocktails in my system)

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Eating trash is a treat and we all deserve a little treat every once in a while.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Iron Crowned posted:

I tend to make somewhat elaborate meals for Saturday and Sunday, which get me through the week for lunch. I'll end up running 3 loads over the course of this because, I do all the prep work early, when I'm full of energy, and then throw it all together when it's time to actually cook it (and I've had a couple of cocktails in my system)

Getting into prep work rules so much, it's hard to meal plan the week tho.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AxGrap posted:

Getting into prep work rules so much, it's hard to meal plan the week tho.

That's why I don't do it. I can generally get a good grip on what I feel like eating for the weekend, but the farther out I go into the work week, the more likely I am to just look at it and throw a frozen pizza into the oven instead.

The other half of the problem is doing anything elaborate during the week leaves me with too much food and some of it gets tossed.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

Paladinus posted:

No, I'm going to buy a burger.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like I get the sentiment and it does sound like it would be fun to do once or twice but lmao at "why would you ever want to just buy a burger when you can make one at home including making your own loving dough for the buns from scratch, look it's so easy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I hate meal prep, and planning that far ahead gives me anxiety because I know I'm going to change my mind/not be motivated later in the week to cook what we planned for.
Not doing meal prep though gives my wife anxiety because she needs to know what's happening and having a list for the week gives her control in an otherwise uncaring universe.

All this on top of two people with very different tastes.