Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Tesseraction posted:

Gaelgoons is this as accurate in terms of how funny it should sound

I genuinely have no idea what they were going for if not "oval office on the punt."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Nilbop posted:

I genuinely have no idea what they were going for if not "oval office on the punt."

The correct answer turned out to be sovereign on a sovereign, which 1) does not rhyme 2) that is the reason a sovereign is called a sovereign so it's not even a pun it's just... yeah, there's a sovereign on there

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
loving spanners.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

Anyone ever come across a good promotion/advancement scheme at work that isn't just a load of poo poo meant to cover up that it's all jobs for mates?

I'm being asked to weigh in on improvements to ours and all I keep coming back to is that the CEO on his 2.8m salary has certainly never been asked to fill in a self assessment form!

I've been reading about the NHS one, while it's very nice and systemic it still comes down to setting and then meeting a load of nebulous objectives with your line manager and good loving luck if they don't like you or are poo poo.

Also seems like an awfully large amount of bullshit hoops to jump through for pittance increases.

I did enjoy doing a 360 review for my boss once. He couldn't work out who had given him the 'strange' comment (I figured it was my comment though he didn't specify - I guess he didn't want to say what it was in case he had the wrong person). He had a propensity to bully (heavily male dominated & unionized environment - he wouldn't have bullied office staff esp women in the same way).

I six-sigma'd a group of people doing a very manual and intense task - not widget production - and demonstrated that far from the bunch of incompetents the PtB had labelled them, they were operating at a very high standard (over 3 sigmas anyway - which is very good for a human operated system with very little automation - but not as good as you would need to be as a brain surgeon or air traffic controller for example) when the complexity of the operation was taken into consideration.
Anyway, I visited their locations and told them that they were actually good and they were delighted. The Board were pissed off though because they were using them as scapegoats for a decaying system.

Gut feel ain't always right.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Can you please stop spaffing your royals all over my newsfeeds its starting to get a bit tedious

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Yer a public sensation Harry

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/10/labour-mps-defend-taking-donations-from-little-known-company

quote:

MPM Connect was revealed by Sky News and Tortoise on Monday to be one of two almost completely unknown companies to have donated large sums of money to MPs in recent years.

LOL at "revealed". Just went through the register of members interests. Some snooping did happen though: an attempted gotcha at MPM's registered address.

https://news.sky.com/video/you-look-confused-12782730

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Can you please stop spaffing your royals all over my newsfeeds its starting to get a bit tedious

Everyone is hoping that this is another Spanish austerity hunt/tanktop Thai harem moment

I'm not, but only because neither of those monarchies got violently murdered

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Argh help me! I have got a new phone, and the forums are now in tiny text. I managed to change it to a larger size on my old phone, but when I review the options on the awful app I can't see it anywhere. Under 'font' I can change the...font... but not the size.

Please can someone tell me how to change it? I glazed over at the accessibility derail last week but now I'm very sorry!!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Welcome to tiny text world, Winston. Enjoy not being able to post on account of their being too small, you idiot!

(use the app)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They apparently are using the app.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

Argh help me! I have got a new phone, and the forums are now in tiny text. I managed to change it to a larger size on my old phone, but when I review the options on the awful app I can't see it anywhere. Under 'font' I can change the...font... but not the size.

Please can someone tell me how to change it? I glazed over at the accessibility derail last week but now I'm very sorry!!

are you holding the phone at arms length, best check first

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I didn't see that part on account of his text being too tiny :(

On the Android Awful app, under Settings/Posts is default post font size. Hope that works?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Settings - > Posts - > Default post font size

Unless you're on iOS, in which case you're on your own.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Do you not have scale text in your setting menu?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wes Streeting is going to Shampoo his Lightning Seeds all over the Ocean Colour Scene of the hard left :jerkbag:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Great can we smoke in pubs again.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'll bring my weber

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

Wes Streeting is going to Shampoo his Lightning Seeds all over the Ocean Colour Scene of the hard left :jerkbag:

I personally can’t wait for yet another rehash of all those 1960s guitar riffs

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

domhal posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/10/labour-mps-defend-taking-donations-from-little-known-company

LOL at "revealed". Just went through the register of members interests. Some snooping did happen though: an attempted gotcha at MPM's registered address.

lol too that the mcshitter is one of those taking money from Bribery Ltd. because of course

Guavanaut posted:

this guy seems to both dislike 'identity politics' but also thinks a return to Marxism is a breath of fresh air compared to it

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

HopperUK posted:

Oh man it's going off at work. Somebody snapped and registered a throwaway email account to blast every branch, the CEO and every regulatory body even semi-relevant with a four-page email howling about all the dodgy behaviour of the middle management tiers at my company. It's gonna get spicy over the next few weeks.

Good, it's about time people started doing this. Collapse the loving system and lets lop some loving heads off. It's why I quit my job except I knew trying to do anything about it was pointless because the cunts were so entrenched in nepotism. One person was literally there because the College couldn't be hosed putting together severance for 30+ years of service, so they bumped her to a health and safety role where she actively does nothing but gently caress anything and everything up.

Also because the Graun can't be bothered doing it's basic function, it'll come to no surprise to you that MPM Connect was renamed from an offshore money channelling farce that was included in the Paradise papers, known as Oak Topco Ltd with the exact same Director.

Someone with this many properties in London surely is a good egg no?

Those London addresses are all multi-million pound apartment addresses, pretty sure it's the same loving guy :rolleyes:

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 10, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

Good, it's about time people started doing this. Collapse the loving system and lets lop some loving heads off.

Also because the Graun can't be bothered doing it's basic function, it'll come to no surprise to you that MPM Connect was renamed from an offshore money channelling farce that was included in the Paradise papers, known as Oak Topco Ltd with the exact same Director.

Someone with this many properties in London surely is a good egg no?

Those London addresses are all multi-million pound apartment addresses, pretty sure it's the same loving guy :rolleyes:

Seems like a busy bee https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/E7eLmNw_88oJC-uYMU4PryzLDqY/appointments

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mebh posted:

Anyone ever come across a good promotion/advancement scheme at work that isn't just a load of poo poo meant to cover up that it's all jobs for mates?

I'm being asked to weigh in on improvements to ours and all I keep coming back to is that the CEO on his 2.8m salary has certainly never been asked to fill in a self assessment form!

I've been reading about the NHS one, while it's very nice and systemic it still comes down to setting and then meeting a load of nebulous objectives with your line manager and good loving luck if they don't like you or are poo poo.

Also seems like an awfully large amount of bullshit hoops to jump through for pittance increases.

Does your employer recognise that working there for lomger makes you significantly better at your job?

I'm in a civil service organisation where all the jobs are banded (so all band 1,2,3 etc jobs pay the same) but for a significant number of roles, you can be advanced up bands without changing jobs or work, because entry-level-experienced-senior of the same job have different bands. These roles have significant salary differences, so the fact it takes 2-3 years to move between bands does reflect growth in skills, and it's worth the investment to go for them.

The actual process is treated the same as external recruitment - show through an application you meet the level of the next job up by having evidence against criteria, cover letter and interview time.

It works, but mostly because the organisation invests money into making it work by having money set aside to promote people each year. And it does lead to some extent a top-heavy scale where long term staff are all at the top band.

And if the company is small enough, I don't think you can avoid the jobs for mates aspect. Humans making decisions about other humans are alway going to be biased by their opinions and relationships, and in a small company you can't have the distance between applicants and reviewers to make it impersonal.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I believe it was also revealed that MPM Connect was being used to offer NHS doctors and whatnot recruitment/advice toward private practice, of which Streeting was a direct benefactor of their donations.

You know, just another clear peg in this board of loving the NHS and everyone over for a privatised US model so this fat chimp schoolboy looking toff oval office can make a quick £100,000.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 10, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Working at a company longer doesn't necessarily make you better at your job so much as makes you get better at doing the bare minimum to not get fired.

Although I'm sure all of you are good at your jobs except *turns to the person reading this post* you

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

'A historic space mission that took off from Cornwall has ended in bitter disappointment after a rocket carrying the first satellites launched from British soil failed to reach orbit and was lost.'

We can only have stratospheric knobs on land.

A truly British Outcome
:britain:

e:

I mean really it's a catch all phrase for Britain when you think about it, national slogan imo:

'A _______ that ____________ ended in bitter disappointment after a ____________________ from British soil failed ______________ .'

Britain - Bitter Disappointment

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 10, 2023

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tesseraction posted:

Working at a company longer doesn't necessarily make you better at your job so much as makes you get better at doing the bare minimum to not get fired.

Although I'm sure all of you are good at your jobs except *turns to the person reading this post* you

Listen the fact that I'm reading the thread instead of working is because I'm so good at my job that I've already finished all my work for the week

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

One promotion path I've seen at some big American companies is measuring the "success velocity" of people - if everyone loves you you can get promoted to management, but otherwise you are stuck, with the idea that only a few people get to be management and this is a meritocratic way of doing it.

I'm not sure it's really any good for a host of reasons, but it's one way of doing it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

That's probably why my old company has never called me back in again, a lot of the ones who left at same time as myself are back there.

The way my life is now they would need to offer much, much more than i was previously earning, my quality of life now has a higher price attached to it than before. :frogc00l:

The quality of my work would remain the same. :lol:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

Ah yes britpop 2, now with even fewer working class people because none of them have the spare time, money or connections to get anywhere in music

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Angepain posted:

Ah yes britpop 2, now with even fewer working class people because none of them have the spare time, money or connections to get anywhere in music

Every band will basically be Kula Shaker.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

domhal posted:

MPM Connect doesn't have a website. However, the first result when you do a Google search for "mpm connect healthcare" takes you to Medical Practice Management, which is - surprise! - a company that helps NHS staff set up a private practice.

But MPM and MPM Connect have different names, so clearly they're entirely unrelated and the Shadow Health Secretary taking money from the latter is of no interest or concern to anyone. [Doffs hat with 'PRESS' on a card stuffed into its band]

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Just Another Lurker posted:

The way my life is now they would need to offer much, much more than i was previously earning, my quality of life now has a higher price attached to it than before. :frogc00l:

Thanks for the inflation, greedy worker :mad:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The Graun is on a roll

You mean to say that devolving the NHS into a bunch of trusts, run by people with very little medical background, to funnel money through hands that don't need it while strangulating the service it's meant to surprise with more bureaucracy - hasn't worked? Thanks Blair. Self diagnosing idiots coming in and cluttering the broken system more will surely fix things!

Also no, Wes Streeting is a dumb fuckwit who's sole purpose is to begin transitioning this from public to private.

Olds are dumb :words:

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 10, 2023

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Honestly grunge was way better than britpop if we have to pick sides.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The only good British music movement of the last 40 years is Rave.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

The working class youth are too busy rapping dril tweets and gender neutrons. Britpop 2 will be a bunch of sensible pub dads pretending that it's Euro '96 again.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Bucket Hats and wooden necklaces for All

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Chubby Henparty posted:

I didn't see that part on account of his text being too tiny :(

On the Android Awful app, under Settings/Posts is default post font size. Hope that works?

This did the trick, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
RLB is having fun making GBS threads all over the lab right about this:

https://twitter.com/RLong_Bailey/status/1612762337437712390