Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Still mad she didn't win the leadership contest even if we would have been drowning beneath the cunts calling her "rebecca wrong-daily" over and over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Rebecca Rent-Freely

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Diet Crack posted:

Bucket Hats and wooden necklaces for All

Bucket hats have been huge again with the Zoomers for a little while now I think. I blame BTS and Phoebe Bridgers, but IIRC Schoolboy Q was doing it back in 2015/6.

Wooden necklaces idk but wouldn't be surprised

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
https://twitter.com/RLong_Bailey/status/1612763013655691264

Where's the lie though.

Hey voters, if your MP is earning being paid millions outside his MP-ing, he's ripping you off.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tesseraction posted:

Still mad she didn't win the leadership contest even if we would have been drowning beneath the cunts calling her "rebecca wrong-daily" over and over again

We wouldn't have even had to learn a new tune to chant

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

We wouldn't have even had to learn a new tune to chant

It's one more syllable than Jimbly Crumbins tho?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's one more syllable than Jimbly Crumbins tho?

Making it fit Seven Nation Army even better.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Ah yes, just what I want to do when having health problems: have to make complicated, literal life or death choices about my health care. Yes, I'll be in the perfect state of mind to make choices then.

I hate the tyranny of choice so much. I don't really give a gently caress who my pet insurer is, or my travel insurer, or my energy provider or internet provider or credit card provider. I don't want to him and haw about minute differences to get a smidge better deal. My time is my most valuable resource, wasting it making stupid choices is not the way to spend it!

EDIT: actually, what I WOULD love is a service that just decides all this poo poo for me. Is there anyone out there offering that? To once a year, look at your current plans & see if there's anything better? Automatically, rather than having to manually go through gocompare or something.

Mourning Due fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 10, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

The only good British music movement of the last 40 years is Rave.

Grime was good. It's exceedingly not for me but Jungle and DnB also seems like they should count.

Britpop was...fine? Yeah, it was a bit regressive in outlook but so was punk when it burst on the scene & was basically rock & roll but with spitting & singers who couldn't really sing. There was a lot of chaff associated with Britpop, poo poo best forgotten, but the first 2 Oasis records are still fun, Blur were fun, Suede, Space, Pulp, Elastica, I still love that first Supergrass album.

Maybe it's nostalgia, Britpop was the first contemporary music I really got into at 10 or 11, but it wasn't all bad. Even if the cultural baggage around it was fairly uninteresting even at the time

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Making it fit Seven Nation Army even better.

I guess if you start her name on the "and" of beat 2, sure. Big crowd chants often miss that note

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The best UK music movement of the 21st century was new rave and you're all just too much cowards to admit it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Radiohead started putting out music in the 90s. Aphex Twin started putting music out in the 90s!! Squarepusher! Global Communication! The Black Dog!! Prodigy! Like forkboy said, dnb and jungle!!! Early garage!

There was loving tons of good British music in the 90s. I would even hazard to say that it was the last good decade of British music (except grime and that, which isn't really for me, but I certainly respect it)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I like local bands myself and it feels like the 2010s was a great upswing for local bands and 2020s seem like they're gonna get better.

local as hell, don't expect to understand jack poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FgCNV2yYOk

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I'm pretty sure music stopped happening in about 1986, no idea what you're all talking about.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The high point of all music was late 90s and early 2000s in Southern California with third wave ska :colbert:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

Radiohead started putting out music in the 90s. Aphex Twin started putting music out in the 90s!! Squarepusher! Global Communication! The Black Dog!! Prodigy! Like forkboy said, dnb and jungle!!! Early garage!

There was loving tons of good British music in the 90s. I would even hazard to say that it was the last good decade of British music (except grime and that, which isn't really for me, but I certainly respect it)

Aphex Twin started putting out music in the 80s, hence Selected Ambient Works 85-92.

Miftan posted:

The high point of all music was late 90s and early 2000s in Southern California with third wave ska :colbert:

This is the "no chocolate orange" of music opinions I think

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I guess if you start her name on the "and" of beat 2, sure. Big crowd chants often miss that note

Or just skip the "oh" and make it it the "Re-"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Or just skip the "oh" and make it it the "Re-"

:frogsiren: REEEE

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Grime was good. It's exceedingly not for me but Jungle and DnB also seems like they should count.

Britpop was...fine? Yeah, it was a bit regressive in outlook but so was punk when it burst on the scene & was basically rock & roll but with spitting & singers who couldn't really sing. There was a lot of chaff associated with Britpop, poo poo best forgotten, but the first 2 Oasis records are still fun, Blur were fun, Suede, Space, Pulp, Elastica, I still love that first Supergrass album.

Maybe it's nostalgia, Britpop was the first contemporary music I really got into at 10 or 11, but it wasn't all bad. Even if the cultural baggage around it was fairly uninteresting even at the time

...PARK LIFE

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

OH... (re)BECCA LONG-BAILEY works fine, people can opt in or out of that syllable as they see fit.

The best Britpop band is/was Placebo :colbert:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

Aphex Twin started putting out music in the 80s, hence Selected Ambient Works 85-92.

but it was released in 1992, hence Selected Ambient Works 85-92 :pseudo:

He'd been making music since he was a kid (if he is to be believed, he's a notorious liar) by dissembling TVs and other electronics and making his own crude synthesisers (if he is to be believed, he's a notorious liar), sure

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Working at a company longer doesn't necessarily make you better at your job so much as makes you get better at doing the bare minimum to not get fired.

This is me being better at my job, I am optimizing my time to achieve my KPIs. I'm just not telling anybody else how little time it takes.

E: rebecca bong-gaily.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 10, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sebzilla posted:

OH... (re)BECCA LONG-BAILEY works fine, people can opt in or out of that syllable as they see fit.

The best Britpop band is/was Placebo :colbert:

Sleeper, fight me

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is the "no chocolate orange" of music opinions I think

Glad you agree.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The real answer is big beat. Propellerheads and Fluke were putting out albums in the 90s that were at least a decade ahead of their time.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

... History really is repeating

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Barry Foster posted:

but it was released in 1992, hence Selected Ambient Works 85-92 :pseudo:

He'd been making music since he was a kid (if he is to be believed, he's a notorious liar) by dissembling TVs and other electronics and making his own crude synthesisers (if he is to be believed, he's a notorious liar), sure

Richard James was definitely recording his own music by 1989, because that's how he got discovered. It's the same situation as Leftfield - they were including their own music in DJ sets from the late 80s, it was just a few years before they put anything on tape.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Whenever I need musical comfort food I put on the Ninja Tunes latest releases and its 99% likely to sound exactly like Coldcut in the 90s and I'm happy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Miftan posted:

loving Christ Miftan. I love you bruv but wowsers

The only good ska punk song

Rarity posted:

The best UK music movement of the 21st century was new rave and you're all just too much cowards to admit it

If it's any consolation I have no loving idea what new wave is. Although a quick Google means it was around when I was firmly in my almost nothing but metal phase.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

loving Christ Miftan. I love you bruv but wowsers

The only good ska punk song

If it's any consolation I have no loving idea what new wave is. Although a quick Google means it was around when I was firmly in my almost nothing but metal phase.

It had a decent mixture of standard rock and electronic, e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYHKT3rvggU

which has one of the best bridges in a song IMO.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
All good music UK falls under the single banner of rave.

Aphex Twin, rave
Garage rave
Jungle, rave
Grime, rave
Drill, rave

It's all rave, guitars are stinky.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Music peaked (non UK) 2 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gha9xrM10w

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

oh we talking music in here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP5oHL3zBDg

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

forkboy84 posted:

when I was firmly in my almost nothing but metal phase.

Had one of these, missed out on so much good stuff while listening exclusively to music that was retrospectively on the whole, dogshit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I never left my metal phase :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHItegKu41c

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Had one of these, missed out on so much good stuff while listening exclusively to music that was retrospectively on the whole, dogshit.

I just moved on to a "still mostly metal but also everything else" phase.

You can't beat something like Zeal & Ardor or Panopticon.

Actually one of the few types of music I don't engage with at all is video game soundtracks. I've always been a "mute the game, play my own tunes" guy unless a game is voice acting heavy. Or a rhythm game I guess. Phantasy Star 1 doesn't sound right to my brain unless accompanied by a Status Quo tape I once had

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 10, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm in a "whatever the gently caress is going on with FFXIV's soundtrack" phase.

Also Sonic Frontiers had some bangers as usual.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

All good music UK falls under the single banner of rave.

Aphex Twin, rave
Garage rave
Jungle, rave
Grime, rave
Drill, rave

It's all rave, guitars are stinky.
Lynn, this is drugs music!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The splitting and refactioning of Rhapsody is still very funny to me.

We here of Luca-Fabioist Tendency (Elven Fire Branch)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Mourning Due posted:

Ah yes, just what I want to do when having health problems: have to make complicated, literal life or death choices about my health care. Yes, I'll be in the perfect state of mind to make choices then.

I hate the tyranny of choice so much. I don't really give a gently caress who my pet insurer is, or my travel insurer, or my energy provider or internet provider or credit card provider. I don't want to him and haw about minute differences to get a smidge better deal. My time is my most valuable resource, wasting it making stupid choices is not the way to spend it!

EDIT: actually, what I WOULD love is a service that just decides all this poo poo for me. Is there anyone out there offering that? To once a year, look at your current plans & see if there's anything better? Automatically, rather than having to manually go through gocompare or something.

This infuriates me so much, I went to the GPs with tonsillitis, throat covered in ulcers for over a week before I went, barely able to eat or drink anything without significant pain. Get to the GP, he has a look, says it's probably tonsillitis, and then asks "what do you want me to do about it?".

I'm like, I don't loving know, I'm not a doctor, I just want to feel better and be able to eat something, at this point I don't care what you do to make me feel better just do it. Ended up with antibiotics and was already on the mend by the next morning.

Patient choice is great, but it has to be informed otherwise it is useless. There's no point asking a patient what they want you to do if the patient doesn't understand what can or needs to be done. There's a reason doctors have spent many years at medical school.