Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'd like to point out there is in one gem in the 3 remake that is loving impossible to pick up.

If I tell its in the Desert Ruins then any player will immediately picture that damned gem on that touchy ledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Splicer posted:

I'd like a system where all objects break down into a few basic potential components. Like your standard gun breaks down into Stuff and Mechanical Bits, and when it starts to degrade it'll tell you if it needs a Mechanical Bit or a Stuff to repair, and a nearly dead gun will need a few Mechanical Bits and a few Stuff. Meanwhile a fancy laser gun will contain Mechanical Bits, Stuff, and also Electronic Bits.

Doesn't Fallout 3 do this? I think Evil Within 2 does something similar also

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Splicer posted:

I'd like a system where all objects break down into a few basic potential components. Like your standard gun breaks down into Stuff and Mechanical Bits, and when it starts to degrade it'll tell you if it needs a Mechanical Bit or a Stuff to repair, and a nearly dead gun will need a few Mechanical Bits and a few Stuff. Meanwhile a fancy laser gun will contain Mechanical Bits, Stuff, and also Electronic Bits.

caves of qud

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

For all the effort that went into expanding Sports Story beyond golf, it mostly seems like a waste. Almost all of the other sports are either slight variations on the golf swing gauge or you're just standing there deflecting things that are thrown at you.

Tennis is the biggest exception, and when you actually get to play, it's decently fun if simple and overly easy to win. The problem is, you get like a half dozen actual matches total in the final chapter of the game, and these are surrounded by hours of sidequesting and annoying minigames that use some of the tennis mechanics. The minigames are so frustrating in how they use the mechanics that I was honestly shocked to find the actual tennis matches decently fun.

Overall, though, I think the game would've been much better by being a less ambitious Golf Story 2 and just focusing on that sport.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BiggerBoat posted:

Doesn't Fallout 3 do this? I think Evil Within 2 does something similar also

Fallout 4, but the components only feed into crafting because there is no durability on regular gear.

Which is another interesting wrinkle, Power Armor takes damage and consumes a resource to fuel it in exchange for (hypothetically) more power. So you can opt into that paradigm and be rewarded for it or say nah I'm good and ignore it.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Jan 10, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'd like to point out there is in one gem in the 3 remake that is loving impossible to pick up.

If I tell its in the Desert Ruins then any player will immediately picture that damned gem on that touchy ledge.

i have no idea what gem this is, but i got everything in all 3 spryo games

moosecow333 posted:

Spyro 3 has so much unnecessary bloat in it between all of the mini games and unlock-able characters. God I despite all the Agent 9 missions.

It takes me longer to fully complete Spyro 3 than it does 1 and 2 combined.

The third game is also by and far the buggiest, which makes sense since it’s the biggest of the games and was probably completed last so there was less time for QA. Though the most annoying bug is when Sparx refuses to pick up a gem you walked right past forcing you to back track half a level through no fault of your own.

they were too busy working on the crack protection

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/keeping-the-pirates-at-bay

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

John Murdoch posted:

Fallout 4, but the components only feed into crafting because there is no durability on regular gear.

Which is another interesting wrinkle, Power Armor takes damage and consumes a resource to fuel it in exchange for (hypothetically) more power. So you can opt into that paradigm and be rewarded for it or say nah I'm good and ignore it.

The way they made Power Armor more than just "heavy armor" in Fallout 4 was one of the few good decisions made for that game, imo. Personally, I almost never used it, but had a few sets sitting around my settlements and would take one out for a spin every once in a while. The extra hud widgets that do nothing were kind of annoying, and I didn't particularly like getting a set just handed to me at the beginning of the game for no reason (and I guess Pre-War lawyers just learned how to operate power armor in law school or something), but Power Armor itself was a rare thing for the Other Thread in a game absolutely loaded with This Thread.

I've complained about all of these things in FO4 before, probably even in this thread, but just off the top of my head: Robot Race Track could have been more than a combat encounter. The Combat Zone should have been the Bethesda Arena Sidequest but it was just a combat encounter. The "gotta find Shaun" plot was bad. Almost everybody sucks except for Nick Valentine and maybe the Atom Cats (I'm still torn on whether I like them or think they're dumb). More Super Mutants from yet another previously-unknown source? Really? Survival mode as implemented is an awful idea, primarily because it disables saving the game except at a bed, which also has a chance of giving you one of a number of diseases, including one that does damage over time - hope you weren't low on health when you went to sleep, because your wounds got infected and now you have bugs eating you from the inside! It also disables fast travel and the console. That last one is the real kicker, because the game isn't any less prone to letting you get stuck in terrain or just not firing the next stage of a quest (Danse's intro in particular tends to just pause the quest indefinitely for me if I don't basically beeline for the police station as soon as I hear laser guns going off, which means I can't get anywhere near that area until I know I can deal with like thirty ghouls). Luckily, Bethesda games are saved by mods, and one of the first ones for Survival re-enabled the console and the ability to save your game, because saving shouldn't be diegetic when the game isn't designed for it from the ground up (games with actual save points don't usually inflict debuffs or damage on the character for using them).

Fallout 4 is a terrible game that I have hundreds of hours in.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Len posted:

i have no idea what gem this is, but i got everything in all 3 spryo games

they were too busy working on the crack protection

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/keeping-the-pirates-at-bay

Yep, that's definitely where the dev time went, forget making the stupid dog follow the ball in a way that doesn't get him stuck in a wall.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

verbal enema posted:

caves of qud
Hmm. How many different kinds of bits we talking.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

beats for junkies posted:

(games with actual save points don't usually inflict debuffs or damage on the character for using them)

Somewhere, Miyazaki wakes up in a cold sweat and furiously scribbles "poison bonfires" on a notepad

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Triarii posted:

Somewhere, Miyazaki wakes up in a cold sweat and furiously scribbles "poison bonfires" on a notepad

Right next to "Bloodborne, no ports or sequels."

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Give us a HD bloodborne and keep it capped at 30 fps cowards.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Fallout 4 turning the power armor into a mecha suit in a game that wasn't hard enough to require it meant I just never used it outside of when I went into the radiation area for a quest. The game needed to have "suit-only" (not literally, if you can make it through normally then cool, but balanced for power armor) areas to get you actually using and valuing it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I like how a power cell can keep a factory running for three hundred years but gets me about eight minutes in the powered armor.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Red Minjo posted:

Stealth in Persona 5

:cheers: Once I figured out zipping from place to place more smoothly (and getting used to "hiding place = hidden, even if you're fully visible"), it did become incredibly easy.

My "little thing" now is that the game won't let me buy a drat lottery ticket yet. :colbert: Also the weapons shop menu seems overly cumbersome, just let me click on a character and then see all possible purchasable weapons and equipment for that character.

Then again, with menus this stylish, it's not the worst thing. :allears:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

For all the effort that went into expanding Sports Story beyond golf, it mostly seems like a waste. Almost all of the other sports are either slight variations on the golf swing gauge or you're just standing there deflecting things that are thrown at you.

Tennis is the biggest exception, and when you actually get to play, it's decently fun if simple and overly easy to win. The problem is, you get like a half dozen actual matches total in the final chapter of the game, and these are surrounded by hours of sidequesting and annoying minigames that use some of the tennis mechanics. The minigames are so frustrating in how they use the mechanics that I was honestly shocked to find the actual tennis matches decently fun.

Overall, though, I think the game would've been much better by being a less ambitious Golf Story 2 and just focusing on that sport.

I really feel like they should of just made Golf Story 2: Tennis Story: Instead of Golf it's Tennis!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, leaning all the way into It's Tennis Story Now, Deal With It would've also been better than the weird mishmash we got.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Splicer posted:

Hmm. How many different kinds of bits we talking.

Eight.
Ranging from "I have an unending flow of scrap l
" That everything needs, to "wow, that's too loving rare to not buy!" Which you buy just in case you can make the awesome stuff it's for.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm so disappointed with the robot race track. There's not even a mod to make it fun, just another "Hey here's another settlement you can build".

Also I think the fusion cells get filled passively by the ambient network to be backup batteries or whatever, rather than powering the whole facility.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Phigs posted:

Fallout 4 turning the power armor into a mecha suit in a game that wasn't hard enough to require it meant I just never used it outside of when I went into the radiation area for a quest. The game needed to have "suit-only" (not literally, if you can make it through normally then cool, but balanced for power armor) areas to get you actually using and valuing it.

I thought power armour was cool right up until the first time I had to get out of it to use a computer, then get back into it. I stopped using power armour very fast.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The worst part of wearing power armour is that you can't look at your cute outfit.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Nuebot posted:

I thought power armour was cool right up until the first time I had to get out of it to use a computer, then get back into it. I stopped using power armour very fast.

I somehow missed how to get out of power armor and had to look it up online. Same with vats -_-

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

(and I guess Pre-War lawyers just learned how to operate power armor in law school or something)

apparently nora was supposed to be a veteran as well, going by cut audio files in the game. presumably they were cut because the target audience for fallout 4 cannot handle additional character aspects past "job, mother"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I guess Pre-War lawyers just learned how to operate power armor in law school or something

Nora was used to wearing a power suit.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

apparently nora was supposed to be a veteran as well, going by cut audio files in the game. presumably they were cut because the target audience for fallout 4 cannot handle additional character aspects past "job, mother"

Wow, that sucks hard; I was wondering why they didn't just switch the spouse's jobs so that whoever you played was the Veteran (which is a cooler character title than Sole Survivor imho).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To play devil's advocate a little, imo being a lawyer is part of why Mom Fallout rules and is a better fit than Dad Fallout as a protagonist. Fish out of water stories in my opinion don't really work when the person you follow already fits their new occupation. Your character is supposed to be a living relic from the past, exploring the very town they used to live in, and what better fit in a world trying to restore law and order than someone who used to know what seeking that out was like? Each major faction of 4 gives you some grandiose speech about how they plan to basically raze Boston until it matches the image they prefer and it's cool to already be an appropriate character to understand their mutually destructive stupidity. Granted that's just my reading of the game, really, but I think Dad Fallout doesn't fit the theme of injecting a little of the old world into the currently kicking and flailing new world nearly as well.

edit: Also, based on the way both parents clomp around like super mutants while wearing power armor, I'm going to guess neither of them have training on how to use it.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:11 on Jan 10, 2023

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

CJacobs posted:

super mutants ... wearing power armor

Lol you made me imagine an even nuttier Brotherhood splinter group who have hit on the perfect way to bring overwhelming force on the raiders of the outlands (it goes about as well as you imagine)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

isn't that just frank horrigan from fallout 2

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Lol you made me imagine an even nuttier Brotherhood splinter group who have hit on the perfect way to bring overwhelming force on the raiders of the outlands (it goes about as well as you imagine)
*rocks begin to levitate above Frank Horrigan's grave*
e:

isn't that just frank horrigan from fallout 2
Kids these days amirite? No appreciation of history.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CJacobs posted:

To play devil's advocate a little, imo being a lawyer is part of why Mom Fallout rules and is a better fit than Dad Fallout as a protagonist. Fish out of water stories in my opinion don't really work when the person you follow already fits their new occupation. Your character is supposed to be a living relic from the past, exploring the very town they used to live in, and what better fit in a world trying to restore law and order than someone who used to know what seeking that out was like? Each major faction of 4 gives you some grandiose speech about how they plan to basically raze Boston until it matches the image they prefer and it's cool to already be an appropriate character to understand their mutually destructive stupidity. Granted that's just my reading of the game, really, but I think Dad Fallout doesn't fit the theme of injecting a little of the old world into the currently kicking and flailing new world nearly as well.

edit: Also, based on the way both parents clomp around like super mutants while wearing power armor, I'm going to guess neither of them have training on how to use it.

It's been talked to death in the years since fallout 4 came out and even before, but making the fallout 4 main characters people with set military experience was kind of boring for this very reason. Like even ignoring the whole "I want to make my own character" thing that's like the keystone argument about that game; it's really dumb when your background is "was a pre-nuke soldier" but apparently the only thing that extends to in any real way is using power armour, which raiders, news reporters, and even children can also just do. So not only do they foist this backstory onto you: but they don't even take advantage of it in the game in any really meaningful or interesting way. It's just there, and it's stupid.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Not only that, but a pre-nuke soldier in a heterosexual (or at least straight-passing) marriage. You wanna make your own person? Install an alternate start mod or go gently caress yourself.

An alternate way to do a predefined character that still gives you choices that I really like is Cyberpunk 2077. You choose your background (nomad, streetkid, or , where you get a bespoke little experience but end up in the same place nonetheless (you're a new merc in Night City with some starter capital and you've met Jackie, who'll take you in and show you the ropes). Your background only really matters for roleplaying purposes, in that you can sometimes choose dialogue options based on what your background is.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

That's a weird choice because the impression the game as-is gives is that they expect you to play as the man and they include the option to play as the woman because it's series tradition to let you choose your character's gender

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Playing Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and almost everything about the game is really good and has aged well. The only exception is how bad the combat is. Initially it was dull but easy, now it’s tedious and annoying. Vaulting over enemies is pretty essential for getting out of awkward spots and hitting blockers in the back. Early on a few enemies would knock you down if you tried vaulting them. In the mid-game every enemy consistently blocks and prevents you vaulting them. All enemies being like this just makes each encounter annoying. I mostly use the instant kill move to clear out 90% of encounters provided I have full MP to use it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I remember once I tried playing Fallout 4 as if I actually cared about Shaun. I just beelined the main quest and ignored everything that wasn't related to him, just to see what would happen. Generally the experience was actually pretty cool, narratively, the issue is the game really isn't balanced for it, and after a while you're so underleveled you simply can't go any further.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

BiggerBoat posted:

Does anyone like weapon durability in any game?
God, now I'm remembering Dark Cloud where weapons require a shitload of grinding to upgrade (multiple times!) and can permanently break (even the ones that you can only get once) and there's enemies that specifically hurt your weapons more when you hit them.

:shepicide:

The Combat Zone should have been the Bethesda Arena Sidequest but it was just a combat encounter.
iirc, it was originally supposed to be.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm taking a break from Control and I'm now playing Prey for a bit, since I've got a computer that can actually handle those games. I'm getting splendid vibes of both FO3NV (in how you can approach every situation according to your playstyle) and Bio/System-shock. I'm loving it and I'm intrigued by the story and everything is awesome so far.

But I just Alt-F4'd because I got killed in the most bullshit loving ways twice in a row. First was when I took the elevator and I had on 25 health left and apparently there's a possibility of having a short combat scene in between floors that one shotted me, and then the next (after I reloaded, made sure to go into the elevator full health but didn't get that event), I moved on a bit on my mission, opened a door I think and promptly was killed big a Nightmare before I even had the opportunity to process what was happening.

I appreciate the jump scares. In fact, I love them in this game. The design in that regard is top notch, keeping you on your toes. Hacking a door or beating some foam and finding an enemy right on the other side attacking me is fine. I especially love how it's balanced with the no-gravity tension bits and all that making for a more slow experience of dread. It makes for a varied experience. What I don't appreciate is playing on normal mode because I'm looking for an easy experience and still getting one shotted just because I went the wrong way at the wrong time. A good way to do it was how they did it when you fix the main elevator: There's a big bad (technowhatever) with two adds and the first time I met them I noped the gently caress out because I realised I couldn't handle them yet. After running away and going back in more sneakily, using some of the recycling grenades on the adds and scanning the big bad gave me the info on how to approach that fight and I got through it on one try.

Those "gently caress you, you made the wrong choice and/or don't know how to fight these guys yet" so you just die can gently caress right off though.

I'm not even playing on hard.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I had taken a break from Prey and when I came back to it I felt really overwhelmed. Taking on one of those big ink dudes is interesting because it's hard and takes a bit of skill. But I had forgotten whatever pattern of guns and magicks or whatever I was using to effectively destroy them. It was like returning to a Rubiks Cube after forgetting the formula to solve it and was frustrating as hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

credburn posted:

I had taken a break from Prey and when I came back to it I felt really overwhelmed. Taking on one of those big ink dudes is interesting because it's hard and takes a bit of skill. But I had forgotten whatever pattern of guns and magicks or whatever I was using to effectively destroy them. It was like returning to a Rubiks Cube after forgetting the formula to solve it and was frustrating as hell.

The answer to all problems in that game was shotgun. Arguably the most boring though but I was a shotgun god

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

The answer to all problems in that game was shotgun. Arguably the most boring though but I was a shotgun god

Also the best solution to Rubik's cubes, oddly enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Nightmare's the worst part of Prey. It's just implemented so poorly. It might cheap shot you a few times, but it's really easy to avoid and later even kill to the degree that it feels like a pointless, randomly spawning distraction. It can spawn in places too small for it, completely immobilizing it. Or not immobilizing it at all and its just clips awkwardly through things, sometimes to land a hit and more than once for me to just fall out of the level. And visually, it doesn't look different enough from the basic Phantoms to be scary. It kinda just looks like a regular baddie scaled up.

Resident Evil 3 is my favorite RE game, one of my top ten favs overall. I'm exactly the kind of guy who should be delighted by the Nightmare, but it doesn't really work. It's so weird and out of sync with all the other mechanics. It feels like something jammed into the game by a mod, but it was like always a part of the game from launch. It's weird.