Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

dr_rat posted:

I mean the thing about this is small frequent light weight vehicles going through underground railed tunnels, if you figured out bunch of issues could theoretically work, but this just seems to be going about it in the absolutely dumbest way.

Also once you do everything you need to get it working, like most of these type ideas you just end up with fancy looking one carriage trains, and unless you're putting it into a city where for the entire time it's running it's never not busy, might as well you know make it multi carriage and schedule it as... like why not.

Only advantage I can see of the second carriage one is if it's just in a small loop, or going back in forth between two places so you don't need to schedule, when it get full it goes, but like the number of places that would be actually useful in seem um, limited.

It's purposefully designed so that only a handful of rich people can use it. The inefficiency is a feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Biplane posted:

This is like a train, except worse and if you're poor you're not allowed on it.

The poors not allowed is the selling point yes

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
musk is terrified that if he has to share transportation with proles he'll end up getting murdered, which is true

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1612548099930464272?s=20

quote:

At the top of the Displace TV is a built-in webcam that’s used to detect Kinect-like hand gesture controls. This will be the primary way — apparently the only way — of navigating and interacting with the TV, complete with gestures for “throwing” content from one Displace TV to another.
Oh, and here’s one important tidbit I haven’t mentioned yet: if you manage to drain all four batteries while the Displace is still on the wall, it could potentially fall to the ground since the “active-loop vacuum technology” also relies on battery power.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i love consumer electronics bullshit

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
sounds like this TV really sucks :dadjoke:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
screws never run out of batteries

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
More consumer devices should brick themselves when hitting 0% imo. Maybe call it hardcore mode, people will love it!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

More consumer devices should brick themselves when hitting 0% imo. Maybe call it hardcore mode, people will love it!

Planned Obsolescence? No, Planned Self-Destruction!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have a tv that is immune from falling over thanks to the complex technology of putting it on a tv stand

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

i have a tv that is immune from falling over thanks to the complex technology of putting it on a tv stand

you'll be sorry when gravity crashes

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Renaissance Robot posted:

debatable given you're posting on the something awful forums in 2023

:thejoke:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

lobster shirt posted:

Look who won't have their tv survive an earthquake.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

you'll be sorry when gravity crashes

gravity as a service

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Rutibex posted:

screws never run out of batteries

something needs to be done about that

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Smart screws :thunk:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

whaley posted:

something needs to be done about that
:hmmyes:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

lobster shirt posted:

Ugh, I bet it even has wires. Go bang some rocks together caveman.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I put my tv on top of my dresser

It's pre-digital tv so it's basically just another PC monitor for watching YouTube on

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Are these anything like Self-Sealing Stem Bolts?

rko
Jul 12, 2017
It’s just more industrial internet of things cruft. It’s hard for me to imagine an application where a screw is the best place for a component like this unless it’s part of some fault management system. If it was, say, an airplane, you could imagine an array of smart screws reporting airframe stress that could be used for predictive maintenance.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think that a screw should focus on its primary purpose, which is holding things together

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The MENSA orgy is not a fun place to be

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cops protecting a digger from activists at the town of Lützerath that's currently being excavated to mine coal

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
by god i use nails like a god-fearing christian

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ekuNNN posted:

Cops protecting a digger from activists at the town of Lützerath that's currently being excavated to mine coal

i hope the fascist machine dies badly

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

christmas boots posted:

Burn heathen! Duct Tape is the only godly way to fasten one thing to another.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

i donno if Jesus approves of this. i think he has mixed feelings on nails

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

christmas boots posted:

seems morbid

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

If I squint really hard I think I can see a good cop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Rutibex posted:

i donno if Jesus approves of this. i think he has mixed feelings on nails

On one hand,

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

rko posted:

It’s just more industrial internet of things cruft. It’s hard for me to imagine an application where a screw is the best place for a component like this unless it’s part of some fault management system. If it was, say, an airplane, you could imagine an array of smart screws reporting airframe stress that could be used for predictive maintenance.

strain gaged screws are absolutely a thing even outside of aerospace.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

ekuNNN posted:

immediately heard and saw this

https://i.imgur.com/k97dQCw.mp4

rko
Jul 12, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

strain gaged screws are absolutely a thing even outside of aerospace.

sure, but they’re not usually communicating that data with a central server in some IoT scheme, right?

Not that I think there are all that many factories really leveraging all that info or even using the tech; it felt like marketing nonsense back when I was doing the marketing nonsense, anyway. Seemed like nobody was doing anything more complicated than the average library in terms of putting their “things” online.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think that a screw should focus on its primary purpose, which is holding things together

I could see a purpose for a passively-powered RFID tag in a fastener. I can wave a scanner over something and it will tell me that (6) fasteners are in place, much quicker than manually checking that they're all still there.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

The Lone Badger posted:

I could see a purpose for a passively-powered RFID tag in a fastener. I can wave a scanner over something and it will tell me that (6) fasteners are in place, much quicker than manually checking that they're all still there.

Potential for matience logging data too I guess, 'fastener was installed on this date by this person etc etc'.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

"mutalk" is a soundproof Bluetooth microphone that makes it difficult for others to hear your voice and at the same time, makes it difficult for ambient noise to enter the microphone.

Conducting a conference call in a quiet office or open space such as a cafe can cause annoyance to those around you and may lead to information leakage. Also, when you are doing voice chat in the Metaverse or online games, you often end up shouting when things get heated up, but even in such situations, you do not want to disturb your family or neighbors.
Soundproof boxes are one way to do this, but there are price and space challenges. The soundproof Bluetooth microphone "mutalk" is an inexpensive and space-saving solution to this problem.

It is easy to use. Simply place "mutalk" on your desk with your mouth facing up to automatically mute the microphone, and lift it up to instantly unmute it.
"mutalk" also has an earphone jack, so it can be used with smartphones as well. The included band can be used to secure the device to the face. This allows for hands-free conversation even when both hands are full.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream Slurs

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
reminds me of the super amputees in the tower at the end of halflife 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness