Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

You should, they apparently fixed the terrible AI by finding a simple typo in the config file.

It's still a loving terrible game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I didn’t know there was Hogwarts game coming out :confused:

Haven’t seen anything on Steam or gaming sites about it. Don’t think I would draw the line at buying a game but it’s not something I’m interested in either. At least not to spite a bitter old woman who is terminally online.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm just not interested in it at all tbh

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

kazil posted:

Harry Potter fans have never read another book.
At this point I'm pretty sure most Harry Potter fans have never even read the Harry Potter books.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My Hog does not in fact have warts.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Frustrated with my xbox one controllers that keep drifting after a few months and looking to replace them with hall effect ones. Yes, I can replace the pots every so often but that gets annoying. Is there a great hall effect controller that works well for PC games? What are your thoughts on these?

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Joysticks-Vibration-Shooting-USB-C/dp/B0878QMPKH?th=1

https://smile.amazon.com/Ultimate-B...c0-4513d670b6bc

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

The 7th Guest posted:

but why though, like it's not even by a developer with any kind of reputation. it's by the OTHER avalanche, the one that DIDN'T do Just Cause or Mad Max. they haven't really done anything notable

that's what confuses me the most. maybe i just don't get "AAA hype"

Honestly the game industry has changed and team sizes are so big that the whole "it's *THAT* DEVELOPER???" talking point is kind of moot. It's really more about talent than the name these days. It's just becoming infinitely less valuable to pretend that the developer's track record means gently caress-all anymore, hell the Callisto Protocol team was made by ""the Dead Space guys" and more or less poo poo the bed.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Honestly the game industry has changed and team sizes are so big that the whole "it's *THAT* DEVELOPER???" talking point is kind of moot. It's really more about talent than the name these days. It's just becoming infinitely less valuable to pretend that the developer's track record means gently caress-all anymore, hell the Callisto Protocol team was made by ""the Dead Space guys" and more or less poo poo the bed.

And didn't the guy in this Hogwarts case quit? Internet says he did.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's easy to be wary of any project that's like "made from the ex-devs of Beloved Game" because 1) they've probably been out of practice in the industry for the past 10 years, and 2) their actual role was like associate line producer or whatever.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Ledenko posted:

And didn't the guy in this Hogwarts case quit? Internet says he did.

Apparently to take care of his ailing parents but the only source on that was himself so idk. I don't think he would lie but I also didn't see a huge vocal amount of support from his publisher or team like he claimed they had for him. If it's true and he needs to take care of his parents full time then that's rough, nothing else to say.

exquisite tea posted:

It's easy to be wary of any project that's like "made from the ex-devs of Beloved Game" because 1) they've probably been out of practice in the industry for the past 10 years, and 2) their actual role was like associate line producer or whatever.

Or in many cases, it turns out having a restrictive publisher was a good thing and handing them carte blanche to make a game just because they were "the guy" behind the thing at EA wasn't the smartest idea

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Watching a gameplay video for that Harry Potter game, it is going to be extremely mediocre.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Volte posted:

At this point I'm pretty sure most Harry Potter fans have never even read the Harry Potter books.

I mean the fandom was the best part of Harry Potter, so that's just practical.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Now that you mention it, has there ever been a good game that was marketed as "from the makers of X"?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bloodstained ended up being pretty good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Bloodstained ended up being pretty good.

Eeeh, I'm looking through their trailers and I don't see them ever actually mention Castlevania in any way. If they did it was probably only on Kickstarter and not on any other broader marketing that I can see at least.
I don't know if I'd count that one.

Bloodstained is great though.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Jack Trades posted:

Now that you mention it, has there ever been a good game that was marketed as "from the makers of X"?

Bloodstained was very good eventually.
Pikmin 2 was bafflingly marketed as "From the Mind of Shigeru Miyamoto" and it's a good game, but also what the hell

I liked the Outer Worlds but I also paid attention to a lot of pre-release material and it was made pretty clear that "Fallout: New Vegas 2" and "Finally, a bethesda game that lives up to its potential" were not what the team or leads were shooting for, but I suppose "3D action RPG that kind of feels like fallout but thats gunning for a futurama/50's raygun space western pulp tone and aesthetic" wouldn't have sold as many copies or generated as much hype.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jack Trades posted:

Return to Monkey Island

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

That Potter game has got "This came out this year?" by October written allover it.

Online discourse for that game will top out at a week.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The developer's previous games from the past 15 years are pretty much all just disney film junkware too so not a lot of confidence there.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

even if you disregard every single thing about jk rowling herself the setting of harry potter seems so wholly empty and uninteresting, you'd get as much creative stimulus out of a fred basset videogame

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

lunar detritus posted:

I mean the fandom was the best part of Harry Potter, so that's just practical.

I dunno, I guess the “Snape killed Dumbledore” spoiler video makes me cackle like a witch (wizard) and the only HP I’ve had experience with is half of the first movie.

“NooOooOOoo…you Bitch!”

Edit:
I can see the folks that went to brick & mortar bookstores dressed in wizard robes and scarves might buy the game regardless of a) how actually fun/immersive the game ends up, or b) whatever their real-or-claimed stance on JKR is…I can totally see some HP fan promote a hashtag on Twitter but “secretly” buy and enjoy the game anyway. It was a significant part of their childhood/YA memories, after all. “Surely I can buy it myself just one person while all the other people I’m sure won’t do it at all” seems very common to me.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 10, 2023

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

DerekSmartymans posted:

I dunno, I guess the “Snape killed Dumbledore” spoiler video makes me cackle like a witch (wizard) and the only HP I’ve had experience with is half of the first movie.

“NooOooOOoo…you Bitch!”

Edit:
I can see the folks that went to brick & mortar bookstores dressed in wizard robes and scarves might buy the game regardless of a) how actually fun/immersive the game ends up, or b) whatever their real-or-claimed stance on JKR is…I can totally see some HP fan promote a hashtag on Twitter but “secretly” buy and enjoy the game anyway. It was a significant part of their childhood/YA memories, after all. “Surely I can buy it myself just one person while all the other people I’m sure won’t do it at all” seems very common to me.

It's all just a little bit of history repeating

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Every single game from Supergiant Games

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Having grown up with all things Harry Potter, haters vacate.

I've been dying for a game like this for years and I just finally had a look at some gameplay videos, I was expecting it to look like a dogshit mobile game or something based on what everyone here's saying.

Skipped around this video and it looks glorious, the fact that you can ride a hippogriff kind of sells me immediately and that these are treated as actual animals that you can take care of.
Don't have to kill monsters, a lot of them are sentient so you can actually talk to them to get their resources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS4qPq20aVo

It looks cozy as heck, I hope it isn't as bad as the developer's pedigree makes it seem like it could be.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Deakul posted:

you are not among friends

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm used to it.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Deakul posted:

better start with the author then

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Imagine giving a single cent to Rowling lmao.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Deakul posted:

I've been dying for a game like this for years and I just finally had a look at some gameplay videos, I was expecting it to look like a dogshit mobile game or something based on what everyone here's saying.

Skipped around this video and it looks glorious, the fact that you can ride a hippogriff kind of sells me immediately and that these are treated as actual animals that you can take care of.
Don't have to kill monsters, a lot of them are sentient so you can actually talk to them to get their resources.

It looks cozy as heck, I hope it isn't as bad as the developer's pedigree makes it seem like it could be.

lol the gameplay looks like dogshit

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Someone's jelly that they won't have a house elf slave. :smug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

My first experience with Harry Potter was a teacher reading it to us out loud every day in school. While I was a senior in high school in 2000. I think she was on that wave of "actually it's for adults too."

But yeah that game looks like horse hockey.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wow, gross.

I uh, came in here to post about Project Zomboid and how much I enjoyed my session with it this morning. They added a new tutorial and refreshed the UI/control scheme and it's a lot easier to cruise around suburbia, hiding from zombies. (I still died.) It really captures the feel of sneaking around in an occupied, hostile zone... which weirdly reminded me of Homefront: Revolution.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Deakul posted:

Yeah it looks like a lot of care has gone into the game and I hope it ends up being good

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Electric_Mud posted:

Only 19 out of 833 playing it is more integrity than I would have assumed honestly.

Estel
May 4, 2010
You are fooling yourselves. Hogwarts Legacy is going to become the "Witcher3" or "Skyrim" for a lot of people.

Basic and easy to grasp gameplay, open world and "freedom", lots of things to find and collect and lots of details in everything.

It' ll sell a lot and it will appear in all the game journalists' game of the year lists.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
As someone who doesn't care about Harry Potter, I have a feeling people underestimate just how much more famous Harry Potter is globally than literally anything its author has ever said or done, and no doubt even more so in non-English speaking countries where stuff like that simply doesn't make the news to the same degree.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 10, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Electric_Mud posted:

For the record, that screenshot was taken during a game's free weekend.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Those people are fail because MW2 was epic.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Cowcaster posted:

even if you disregard every single thing about jk rowling herself the setting of harry potter seems so wholly empty and uninteresting, you'd get as much creative stimulus out of a fred basset videogame

There's an amazing amount of novelty to be wrung from a setting where even the approved setpieces and activities include so many threats to life and limb for the schoolkids, but you can only fall back on introducing new elements for so long. The books captured the idea of basically living in an on-again off-again thriller for several years, the movies captured the spectacle of a place where everything is doused in magic, but absolutely nothing of what's interesting about HP has ever struck me as something that would translate well to video games except maybe VR if you got a real A-team on it. Some things just weren't designed to hold up in other mediums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rox
Sep 7, 2016

i liked the ps1 and pc harry potter games as a kid

weird puzzle platformers from the era where games with the same exact name on different platforms were completely different and developed by different studios