Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1612848872061128704?s=46&t=4DKvvm51OjCUA3n24cu-qQ

Love when my car just decides to stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

He's very much Right Wing in that he never questions these people. He is close personal friends with Alex Jones.

Not close enough to unban him :twisted:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What a shitshow.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
So if you go with Tesla's Autopilot that is continuing to take lives like its the grim reaper of cars, are you on the hook for damages?

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

Noxville posted:

Love when my car just decides to stop

They were using it wrong. You can't just let it drive itself fully. What are you, an idiot?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

E the Shaggy posted:

So if you go with Tesla's Autopilot that is continuing to take lives like its the grim reaper of cars, are you on the hook for damages?

Well that's why Tesla made it so Autopilot will auto-disengage in case of a possible accident so you can do your part for the good of daddy Elon, citizen and be a good responsible beta tester.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FoolyCharged posted:

OG Xbox without internet? :ohdear:

1v1 me ctf blood gulch NO SCREEN LOOKING

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

CommieGIR posted:

Well that's why Tesla made it so Autopilot will auto-disengage in case of a possible accident so you can do your part for the good of daddy Elon, citizen and be a good responsible beta tester.

elon: it seems the user suddenly jerked their wheel over to the left hand side of the road. braked immediately and caused this pile up. they then hacked into caltrans camera footage of the bay bridge to cover up their mistake. not tesla's fault!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

This is good for Tesla

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I guess I'm confused. It looks like it has a signal on to switch the left lane and brakes. Wouldn't the cause of the accident really be the cars behind that slammed into it?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kazil posted:

I guess I'm confused. It looks like it has a signal on to switch the left lane and brakes. Wouldn't the cause of the accident really be the cars behind that slammed into it?

I always heard when I was a young driver that the person who hits someone else from behind is always legally at fault, but I don't know if that's true or just something they tell teens to get them to pay more attention to the road.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Musk.

LOL

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Can't wait until 4,000 character tweets are recommended in the timeline.

There’s no way even incompetents like whoever’s left at Twitter push a feature like that without it having some kind of “below the fold” click-here-to-see-the-rest feature.

Which means it’s gonna be used almost exclusively to do rickrolls and inform people they’ve lost The Game.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

PostNouveau posted:

I always heard when I was a young driver that the person who hits someone else from behind is always legally at fault, but I don't know if that's true or just something they tell teens to get them to pay more attention to the road.

oh no, they do that to you. My 84 toyota pickup got totaled when a firetruck jumped into a lane while an old, rich woman in a camry was cutting me off, and it was very clear what happened. I took 100% fault for it because I failed to stop and was too close because her camry couldn't open the hatch and was totaled.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

It generally was, but changing lanes and slamming on the brakes is a common insurance scam called "swoop and squat", so they are more suspicious of it. Same thing with people who intentionally brake check people or otherwise slam on the brakes in the middle of the road for no reason: it's different if you can prove that the person in front was driving recklessly or intentionally tried to cause an accident.

Dash cams are good and can save your rear end in cases like this.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 10, 2023

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

kazil posted:

california law the presumption is that the last car in an accident is the one at fault.

however if you suddenly stop like that tesla did... you are the cause of the fault and will be blamed for it. especially considering the video evidence.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The_Franz posted:

It generally was, but changing lanes and slamming on the brakes is a common insurance scam called "swoop and squat", so they are more suspicious of it. Same thing with people who intentionally brake check people or otherwise slam on the brakes in the middle of the road for no reason: it's different if you can prove that the person in front was driving recklessly or intentionally tried to cause an accident.

You'd think dead stop for no loving reason on the interstate is some kind of reckless endangerment that would make the Tesla at-fault, but they hit them from behind so:shrug:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

To be fair, cars do break down all the time even in dangerous situations. Technically speaking people shouldn't be following so close that they can't stop in time.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Tarkus posted:

To be fair, cars do break down all the time even in dangerous situations. Technically speaking people shouldn't be following so close that they can't stop in time.

I drive about 2 car lengths behind and in front of people when I can help it, and I generally do help it.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Need Stephen King to bully Elon again

Or don't and just lol at the type of person a Twitter Blue price hike will affect

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
jfc goons and their goddamn technicalities. hey maybe the loving car shouldn't slam on it's own breaks in a tunnel?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Konar posted:

jfc goons and their goddamn technicalities. hey maybe the loving car shouldn't slam on it's own breaks in a tunnel?

How should the other cars know if it's a poo poo software malfunction or a real emergency?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Entropic posted:

There’s no way even incompetents like whoever’s left at Twitter push a feature like that without it having some kind of “below the fold” click-here-to-see-the-rest feature.

Which means it’s gonna be used almost exclusively to do rickrolls and inform people they’ve lost The Game.

love to see how social media has all returned to the livejournal cut for content

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

lol at goons trying to blame the people driving behind the tesla for it. jfc

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

It’s gonna be fun seeing all these dumb forum arguments get brought to court for litigation because the Autopilot poo poo is gonna turn all out laws on their god drat heads

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

kazil posted:

Looks to me like that was a pretty hard stop, not really sure how the cars behind it are supposed to respond to that other than how they did, they were obviously also braking by the time they realized what was happening but I genuinely don't see how this could be the fault of the cars behind it. I am confused by what you think is confusing about this?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Konar posted:

tunnels should be the easiest read for vision because you have white lines going across all surfaces, it's that easy

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You are absolutely not allowed to stop on a high speed road like that because if you do it will cause exactly what that video shows.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Steadiman posted:

Looks to me like that was a pretty hard stop, not really sure how the cars behind it are supposed to respond to that other than how they did, they were obviously also braking by the time they realized what was happening but I genuinely don't see how this could be the fault of the cars behind it. I am confused by what you think is confusing about this?

In theory they could be driving the entire stopping distance behind each other, but nobody does that otherwise roads could only carry half as many cars and nobody expects the car in front to just slam on the brakes for no reason.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
always keep a 3 second distance with the car in front of you in case its programming decides to do insane poo poo a human would never do

well assuming there's no bee in the car, a human will do just about anything in a car with a bee in it I reckon

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Entropic posted:

...inform people they’ve lost The Game.

gently caress!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
You would need to be at least 15 car lengths behind that Tesla traveling at 60mph to not hit it under extreme sudden braking, 30 car lengths at 80mph

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

It’s generally true but brake checking people is the exception, especially if you do it right after a lane change when people don't have the opportunity to set up a safe following distance

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 10, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Seven Force posted:

gently caress!

:smith::hf::smith:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

AARD VARKMAN posted:

well assuming there's no bee in the car, a human will do just about anything in a car with a bee in it I reckon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luFgV4nuSxc&t=24s

she saw a bee

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Tarkus posted:

Yeah but there’s a difference between “the engine stopped running and the car rolled to a stop” vs “HIT THE BRAKES 🤣🤣🤣”

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AARD VARKMAN posted:

always keep a 3 second distance with the car in front of you in case its programming decides to do insane poo poo a human would never do

1 car length per 10 mph, or 50 car lengths if it's a Tesla on autopilot.

sad question
May 30, 2020

That bee seems terrible at driving

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Also, Teslas are more on the performance end of the car spectrum, and most people option them with performance tires. Even with a "safe" following distance, a Tesla slamming the brakes would make 80% of other cars on the road smash into the back of it, even if you hard brake immediately after seeing the Tesla do it. If you have a truck or SUV, forget it, you'd need a 6-8+ car following distance to have a chance to not smash into a smaller performance car that is doing emergency braking.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

1 car length per 10 mph, or 50 car lengths if it's a Tesla on autopilot.

More like swap lanes if it's a tesla