Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

For the record, that screenshot was taken during a game's free weekend.

Which one though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Which one though

I meant to write "the game's".

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Harry Potter is much like Star Trek where there's a huge imagined/deduced aspect that lives in the minds of fans that isn't in the core text but is integral to the whole vibe. This isn't good or bad but its interesting.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Estel posted:

You are fooling yourselves. Hogwarts Legacy is going to become the "Witcher3" or "Skyrim" for a lot of people.

Basic and easy to grasp gameplay, open world and "freedom", lots of things to find and collect and lots of details in everything.

It' ll sell a lot and it will appear in all the game journalists' game of the year lists.
Witcher 3 is an unbelievably good game. The setting is incredible, the music is god tier the characters are so far beyond the standard of open world bideo games there is so much right about it. I dont care about HL or if people like it but Witcher 3 has so much going for it beyond open world routine.

Open world games arent fungible and people are honestly quite picky about them these days even a game as high effort and above average as horizon gets shrugs.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

kazil posted:

Harry Potter fans have never read another book.

I went on to read other books so I have to presume I am not alone on that front.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

haha what posted:

i liked the ps1 and pc harry potter games as a kid

weird puzzle platformers from the era where games with the same exact name on different platforms were completely different and developed by different studios

The Game Boy Color game for the first book was surprisingly good. Of course by the end EA had turned the series into a Gears of War clone... which was something.

I imagine the sales for Hogwarts will be huge. Despite what a lovely person JK Rowling has been, I imagine most of the fans will either not be aware or can just divorce the fact that she was the originally creator. And WB (and Sony) are spending a ton on marketing. I saw commercials non-stop during December.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MonkeyforaHead posted:

There's an amazing amount of novelty to be wrung from a setting where even the approved setpieces and activities include so many threats to life and limb for the schoolkids, but you can only fall back on introducing new elements for so long. The books captured the idea of basically living in an on-again off-again thriller for several years, the movies captured the spectacle of a place where everything is doused in magic, but absolutely nothing of what's interesting about HP has ever struck me as something that would translate well to video games except maybe VR if you got a real A-team on it. Some things just weren't designed to hold up in other mediums.

idk having an open world game with a magical shifting castle as the world sounds great. the real issue is they didnt make it an imsim. I'm not buying it but my partner is interested.

Kanfy posted:

As someone who doesn't care about Harry Potter, I have a feeling people underestimate just how much more famous Harry Potter is globally than literally anything its author has ever said or done, and no doubt even more so in non-English speaking countries where stuff like that simply doesn't make the news to the same degree.

It helps Rowling's case that she isn't like, screeching from a pulpit about rounding up trans people and having them shot. Thats for the people that she enables by hanging out with them and retweeting them and helping them build an audience Explaining the context of her beliefs takes more time than people will listen to.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

I went on to read other books so I have to presume I am not alone on that front.

Yeah but it's easier to yell at people if we imagine everybody who's read Harry Potter as some slavering tumblr person

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Harry Potter book whiners: whine about another book

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

gently caress Moby Dick, leave the whale alone rear end in a top hat

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jeez have you harry potter haters considered how easy it is to just ignore the author's problematic stuff and consume product? bing bong so simple

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

kazil posted:

gently caress Moby Dick, leave the whale alone rear end in a top hat

I can't imagine I'm going to get any satisfaction from that.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

No Wave posted:

Witcher 3 is an unbelievably good game. The setting is incredible, the music is god tier the characters are so far beyond the standard of open world bideo games there is so much right about it. I dont care about HL or if people like it but Witcher 3 has so much going for it beyond open world routine.

Open world games arent fungible and people are honestly quite picky about them these days even a game as high effort and above average as horizon gets shrugs.

What

the combat is horrible, you can't even predict which randomly cycled animation you're going to get when you press attack. hitboxes are all over the place. 99% of the content is just random ubisoft-tier markers that are usually just a monster standing next to a chest. the mechanics for sailing are literally broken and the game will fall apart from all the bugs and glitches still associated with boats and 80% of the skellige content is just sailing to a spot, jumping out, oneshotting all of the sirens or harpies with your lovely hand crossbow and then grabbing a bunch of junk, I saw junk because the itemization is embarrassing. you will never pick up something that's better than what you can craft easily unless its like ten levels above you. the world makes zero sense, you'll still be running into club wielding bandits with wooden clubs at level 30+ and if they're a higher level than you they'll kill you instantly, even if you can slaughter elite soldiers in armor that are the same level. The potion mixing is dumbed down massively from Witcher 1 and 2. It literally has nothing going for it besides visuals and narrative.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
From Hogwart's heart I terf at thee.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
witcher 3 unfortunately aged kind of bad because now every action game seemingly has that kind of diablo-esque inventory screen where it's about number going up and now everyone's sick of it

though the combat was never good

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah but it's easier to yell at people if we imagine everybody who's read Harry Potter as some slavering tumblr person

The internet, inventing people to hate since time immemorial.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

jeez have you harry potter haters considered how easy it is to just ignore the author's problematic stuff and consume product? bing bong so simple

I'd like to opt out of reading the same poo poo every other day about a lovely children's book series because I've never read them because they were a lovely children's book series. Why should I have to suffer

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

zoux posted:

I'd like to opt out of reading the same poo poo every other day about a lovely children's book series because I've never read them because they were a lovely children's book series. Why should I have to suffer

wow the rare post demanding a "turn off your monitor" response

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wizard people, dear posters

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What

the combat is horrible, you can't even predict which randomly cycled animation you're going to get when you press attack.

None of the combat animations are random. If you're getting unexpected ones it's because you're getting the timing wrong and breaking the combo. It works similarly to Arkham Asylum combat but without all the UI indications.

It's not a great execution, because obviously it confuses people about what they're doing wrong, but it's still not the case that the animations are random.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 10, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tiny Timbs posted:

None of the combat animations are random. If you're getting unexpected ones it's because you're getting the timing wrong and breaking the combo. It works similarly to Arkham Asylum combat but without all the UI indications.

It's not a great execution, because obviously it confuses people about what they're doing wrong, but it's still not the case that the animations are random.

Batman Arkham Asylum combat is loving horrible too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not sure I agree with your police work there Lou

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
can we get stux back in here please

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Deakul posted:

Having grown up with all things Harry Potter, haters vacate.
no thanks, i'm going to continue to hate racism and transphobia

anyone want to shill for the kyle rittenhouse game next

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Harry pooper

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Batman Arkham Asylum combat is loving horrible too

maybe you're doing that one wrong too

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I think that guy just doesn't like videogames tbh

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Everyone should stop right now. Harry Potter has so much baggage now thanks to the author being awful and espousing a lot of bad ideology on her social media.

People who want to play the game will just have to get used to that and and that a lot of us here have good friends who are targets and we are not a fan of increasing her fortune.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I liked when Geralt got drunk with his witcher buds

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
It's a pointless debate anyway. Harry Potter is the 8th highest grossing media property ever. It's gonna sell a gently caress load and nothing anyone says is gonna change that

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Resdfru posted:

It's a pointless debate anyway. Harry Potter is the 8th highest grossing media property ever. It's gonna sell a gently caress load and nothing anyone says is gonna change that

I will change it

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Resdfru posted:

100% did not see #1 coming at all

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

kazil posted:

Tigger: Origins

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how many more crossovers does fortnite need before it counts as a franchise in and of itself

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tiny Timbs posted:

maybe you're doing that one wrong too

Batman Arkham Asylum combat is Not Good and I don't understand anyone who thinks it can be good. The actual "terrorize the poo poo out of them and pick them off one by one" gameplay was good but the actual tedious brawling combat has never landed for me, and I can build up massively long combos in those games.

Psycho Landlord posted:

I think that guy just doesn't like videogames tbh

Of the games I finished from August to now, I liked:
Elden Ring
King's Field 1-4
Control
Homeworld Remastered Collection
Disco Elysium

Which I think shows that I like a great variety and type of video games. I think two of those games are AAA(maybe homeworld counts) but I don't really care for or about AAA games. They all play the same, shoehorn in the same rpg-lite mechanics and prioritize graphics over gameplay

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VideoGames posted:

Everyone should stop right now. Harry Potter has so much baggage now thanks to the author being awful and espousing a lot of bad ideology on her social media.

People who want to play the game will just have to get used to that and and that a lot of us here have good friends who are targets and we are not a fan of increasing her fortune.

Is this a forums ban on talking about the game or what

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Estel posted:

You are fooling yourselves. Hogwarts Legacy is going to become the "Witcher3" or "Skyrim" for a lot of people.

Basic and easy to grasp gameplay, open world and "freedom", lots of things to find and collect and lots of details in everything.

It' ll sell a lot and it will appear in all the game journalists' game of the year lists.

Witcher 3 was so loving good people were playing previous games in the series and reading books for the first time because of it.

NOBODY is going to start reading Harry Potter books because of that game. I'll eat my loving hat if anyone does.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

kazil posted:

Don't gently caress with Disney.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

People desperate to rush in and die on the hill of "Witcher 3 has bad combat" is baffling to this day.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Batman Arkham Asylum combat is Not Good and I don't understand anyone who thinks it can be good.

Same but in reverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Batman Arkham Asylum combat is Not Good and I don't understand anyone who thinks it can be good. The actual "terrorize the poo poo out of them and pick them off one by one" gameplay was good but the actual tedious brawling combat has never landed for me, and I can build up massively long combos in those games.

Of the games I finished from August to now, I liked:
Elden Ring
King's Field 1-4
Control
Homeworld Remastered Collection
Disco Elysium

Which I think shows that I like a great variety and type of video games. I think two of those games are AAA(maybe homeworld counts) but I don't really care for or about AAA games. They all play the same, shoehorn in the same rpg-lite mechanics and prioritize graphics over gameplay

I think what people like about the Arkham combat is that it's sort of a rhythm builder. I just liked the "flow" of it I guess? But I'm not amazing at video games so there was a good amount of challenge at keeping the punches and dodges flowing. Witcher 3 is similar to me but the implementation is a little looser and adds in direction playing a role in how and when your strikes connect; this may be what you ran into when it felt random to you.

Can totally see how someone could find the combat style tedious though, especially if you didn't find it particularly challenging or compelling to keep tempo.

New Spiderman has the same comabt system but there's something different about it I can't place my finger on cause I gently caress it up a lot more than I did Arkham or Witcher.