Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Prop13.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Ain't no part of Prop 13 says we can't provide public services prorated to the ratio of their tax assessment to the actual value of their property.

"Your sewer lateral is backed up? Let me check your basis. Says here you're being taxed on the 1987 price of your house. We'll be out in a couple of weeks."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the Supreme Court would not like that at all

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Let's all buy homes at these prices so that we can help boomers pay for their age of tenderness at The Villages Florida.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

A Bad King posted:

Let's all buy homes at these prices so that we can help boomers pay for their age of tenderness at The Villages Florida.

You call it tenderness I call it a decubitus ulcer

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Flipper buys it, paints everything gray, remodels ONLY the kitchen and bathroom, and puts back on the market in 6 months for twice the price. Soon to be bought WFH tech workers or retirees from another state.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Greg12 posted:

Ain't no part of Prop 13 says we can't provide public services prorated to the ratio of their tax assessment to the actual value of their property.

"Your sewer lateral is backed up? Let me check your basis. Says here you're being taxed on the 1987 price of your house. We'll be out in a couple of weeks."
yes, surely a libertarian approach to public services will fix what ails us! It's not like my neighbor's sewer line exploding is a problem for me!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that's a good size house imo

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

bawfuls posted:

yes, surely a libertarian approach to public services will fix what ails us! It's not like my neighbor's sewer line exploding is a problem for me!

...how do you think sewers work

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Greg12 posted:

you answer first

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
look, I just want to learn about sewers.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
sewers are full of poo poo

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

series of tubes

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Greg12 posted:

surely nothing bad can happen to my house if my neighbor’s sewer line backs up and explodes poo poo all over their property. The smell is good actually!

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
sewers aren't under pressure. they don't explode!

poo poo flows downhill.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

elon will help us create vacuum sealed sewers and have poo poo flowing uphill at 750mph

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Greg12 posted:

sewers aren't under pressure. they don't explode!

poo poo flows downhill.

wrong, it’s called a force main :smug:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

maybe a tree root breaks their neglected sewer line underground and they start seeping poo poo into the ground saturating it

maybe this dumb libertarian analogy instead occurs to their water or power or trash pick up or the sidewalk or road in front of their house and it has immediate consequences for neighbors

selectively neglecting maintenance of basic municipal services in a city doesn't isolate consequences to the individual under-taxed properties why is this still something being debated in cspam?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Flipper buys it, paints everything gray, remodels ONLY the kitchen and bathroom, and puts back on the market in 6 months for twice the price. Soon to be bought WFH tech workers or retirees from another state.

no photos of the inside, 700sq ft is 1/4 of a tennis court

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

:yeah:

One of these days I'll be the mega corp

me too

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

denver_metro.txt

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

i am harry posted:

no photos of the inside, 700sq ft is 1/4 of a tennis court

700 sq ft is the perfect amount of space for me. Less to clean. Less space to fill with useless poo poo. Less to heat and insulate. I have 850 sq ft in my current apartment, feels too big after 5 years of 500~ sq ft.

No one builds small houses anymore. Fortunately we can go down to 600 sq ft here, but I'm going to have to build.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

700 sq ft is the perfect amount of space for me. Less to clean. Less space to fill with useless poo poo. Less to heat and insulate. I have 850 sq ft in my current apartment, feels too big after 5 years of 500~ sq ft.

No one builds small houses anymore. Fortunately we can go down to 600 sq ft here, but I'm going to have to build.

yeah same i have 952, though the liveable space is probably in the 700s. so it depends on how they are measuring it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, ideally I'd be happy with 650-750sq ft. When I was married, we had a 2000sq ft house and it was just endless cleaning and buying poo poo to fill the space. And that poo poo had to change seasonally, which meant filling the attic with plastic containers of plastic decorations. High ceilings meant high heating and cooling costs. Just an endless cycle of burning money. I hated it.

Now I just want a nice little shack in the desert. And a tractor to draw dicks in the sand for google earth.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The twitch streamer and youtube personality Kripparian turned his former house into an airbnb. The pictures are insane:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/789359526988756495?source_impression_id=p3_1673328696_9Frcanxawzmn29X6&modal=PHOTO_TOUR_SCROLLABLE

This is what 12 hours of hearthstone 7 days a week can buy you. It's a church that was turned into a mansion and features stained glass windows throughout.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

grey barn

edit oh lord it's riverfront. that's a really pretty property

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
World first hardcore Airbnb, wow!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/real-estate-corporations-buying-single-family-homes-pittsburgh/

KDKA Investigates: Real estate corporations buying single-family homes to turn into rentals

quote:

In the first nine months of last year, private investors bought 3,196 single-family homes in our greater metropolitan region -- one out of every seven houses sold. In Allegheny County, real estate corporations with names like VP Homes (358 houses), Segavepo (173 houses) and Diversified Residential (97 houses) have brought up hundreds of houses in the past two years -- all managed from afar.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Salt Fish posted:

The twitch streamer and youtube personality Kripparian turned his former house into an airbnb. The pictures are insane:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/789359526988756495?source_impression_id=p3_1673328696_9Frcanxawzmn29X6&modal=PHOTO_TOUR_SCROLLABLE

This is what 12 hours of hearthstone 7 days a week can buy you. It's a church that was turned into a mansion and features stained glass windows throughout.

why did he turn it into an Airbnb? is he moving?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/real-estate-corporations-buying-single-family-homes-pittsburgh/

KDKA Investigates: Real estate corporations buying single-family homes to turn into rentals

local municipalities can end this with zoning

alas

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
does your state allow cities to ban renters?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

every state allows that it’s called zoning

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

no government entity is going to ban buying homes to rent them, even if it's wildly in their interests to do so

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Whoops, sorry, the commercial investors own your local council and dictate terms to them.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

old article but SHOCKING if true

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/06/blackrock-ruining-us-housing-market/619224/

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

euphronius posted:

every state allows that it’s called zoning

That is not what zoning is or does in my state. It is illegal to regulate occupancy here. The closest a city can get is calling a boarding house a different use and regulating that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My city just banned (slash, voted not to allow) accessory dwelling units because they were worried it would increase investor buyups of our housing stock. A real cut the nose to spite the face moment.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My city just banned (slash, voted not to allow) accessory dwelling units because they were worried it would increase investor buyups of our housing stock. A real cut the nose to spite the face moment.

i dont see how that makes the slightest bit of sense. they probably banned them to maintain high house prices and therefore property taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my neighbors built an ADU in their back yard and it looks really cool.

it took them over two years to do it though, and not for lack of trying.