Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i haven't watched this show in 7 years but i just wondered when they stopped doing The Talking Dead because of low ratings and found out they never stopped. have a good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gambrinus posted:

Did Rick come back and was it explained what happened to him after the bridge blew up? I don't care about spoilers anymore.

For a hot second as the final scene of the show which was nothing more than a preview for him & Michonne’s upcoming movie (which was like a 3 movie deal but now it’s just one). Or maybe it’s a mini-series? I dunno nor do I care. The scene doesn’t actually explain what happened to him.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Deadite posted:

The finale writers really overestimated how much the viewers care about Luke and Rosita

Actually I think the writers overestimated how much the viewers cared about most of this overstuffed cast

I liked how the new cast members were blubbering away and S1 OG's Daryl and Carol were just like staring at them and glancing at each other and pretty much ignoring it to focus on Judith. They were the audience stand ins for that scene.

Bringing in new twists like the smart walkers was dumb to do so late in the game. "Hey, let's change the whole premise and rules with two episodes left!" :haw:

Negan's arc was interesting, and well played by JDM, but he's such a good actor it's almost like two different characters. It's hard to watch Redeemed Nice Negan and then go back and watch Old Negan strutting around. Kinda jarring and hard to believe they were the same guy. It was cool that he basically had his big moment of Finally Getting It when he saw the guy in charge of the work gangs was basically a Negan.

I liked that they didn't go for the obvious end with Pamela letting herself get eaten, and instead getting Negan'd to a cell. I was a little surprised that Ezekiel and not Mercer became the New Governor, because Mercer is so well liked and known in the Commonwealth, but it makes sense since Ezekiel has a lot of experience leading communities (and a King outranks a General). Kinda wish Jerry had been able to set up his own Dukedom in the Renn Faire village tho.

The worst part of it all though had to be Rick and Michonne. After teasing us all season that Rick would return, what a loving cop out to have him come in during the last 2 minutes with a voiceover and not interact with anybody. It seemed like Rick would be coming back for several episodes, and the whole finale I kept thinking he was gonna swoop in with some CRM helicopters and troops and Rick ex Machina save the day and kill the walkers and take out Pamela. I mean, it was good that Our Heroes solved the issues on their own without the presumably bigger CRM guys coming in to swing their dicks around, but drat. There really should have been some scenes with Rick and Daryl reuniting, Rick and Shane's Daughter reuniting, Rick seeing Negan and realizing his idea to give Negan another chance worked. It honestly would have been better off if the show had ended with Daryl riding off on his bike, fade to black. We really didn't need the montage, the kids talking, Shoeless Rick wandering, or Michonne with her ersatz medieval armor she must have jacked from Bed, Bath, and Beyond Thunderdome.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

If they go on the right side of history and Maggie bangs Negan I'll watch again.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Satchel and Trunk posted:

This is the correct sentiment for all the remaining Walking Dead series and spinoffs.

I honestly thought, back in the day, that I'd be a die hard walking dead watcher until the day the series unceremoniously croaked. I was wrong. It lost me and so did all the spinoff series' and now that it's ended I've got an itch and the only way it's going to get scratched is if I actually watch the rest of this loving thing and put myself through whatever stages of exasperation and shame that that will bring me. So I've got the downloads ready to playlist on my PC and now I'm waiting for an opportunity where I'm off work for long enough and I'm not bound by any familial responsibilities, and I'm going to go on a ridiculous drug bender and watch the remaining seasons of this lovely show and call it a day finally. Maybe the HBO Last of Us series will pick up where this show dropped the ball and give us a decent post-apoc series, maybe not, but either way I'm going to see this particular shitshow through to the end like I promised myself I would all those years ago. And I'm gonna be absolutely hosed and shpongled when I do, and it's going to be glorious.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

If you like Negan, there's some gems to be had in the last few seasons with him, and playing with the legacy of his character.

Otherwise, it's a lot of meandering that leads nowhere ultimately.

I almost started getting back into Fear, especially when I heard Madison was coming back, but when they failed to even have one scene with her and Alicia, I lost interest again. I might pick it up someday, but I'm in no hurry.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
They really should have kept Madison and her kids as the main protagonists.

The stepson though, I’m okay with him being gone.

Madison wasn’t a great mother, but she was cutthroat and that was compelling.

I kind of dropped off after the Radioactive Zone/Commonwealth seasons. Why bring in all these extra characters and then drop a bomb. The fallout stuff just didn’t seem plausible.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

they should do a medieval or pirate season

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This show started getting real bad in season 2 and very marginally got better but always got way worse. I stopped at season 5 and kept poking in laughing at how stupid it kept being.

I can’t believe they fired an 18 year old kid after his birthday when he could’ve been the main character of the show lmao. What was up with that. I feel bad for him bc what is he even doing now

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If I remember right they thought it would be shocking and didn’t think about how much it would affect future plot lines, since characters like Lydia suddenly had nothing to do after that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was definitely shocked when I heard but not in the way they thought lol

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm gonna catch up with walking dead and then I'll go back through

It's been a while since I've edited anything for Jokes lately

Sorry never finished the show it killed me

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
This is a mercy

‘Fear the Walking Dead’ to End With Season 8 at AMC

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/fear-the-walking-dead-final-season-8-amc-1235483687/

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

quote:

Along with that we begin production on the next chapter in Rick and Michonne’s unforgettable love story, which we look forward to sharing next year

I would not use the word "unforgettable"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

as unforgettable as Michonne's commitment to raising her children

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

Cactus posted:

I honestly thought, back in the day, that I'd be a die hard walking dead watcher until the day the series unceremoniously croaked. I was wrong. It lost me and so did all the spinoff series' and now that it's ended I've got an itch and the only way it's going to get scratched is if I actually watch the rest of this loving thing and put myself through whatever stages of exasperation and shame that that will bring me. So I've got the downloads ready to playlist on my PC and now I'm waiting for an opportunity where I'm off work for long enough and I'm not bound by any familial responsibilities, and I'm going to go on a ridiculous drug bender and watch the remaining seasons of this lovely show and call it a day finally. Maybe the HBO Last of Us series will pick up where this show dropped the ball and give us a decent post-apoc series, maybe not, but either way I'm going to see this particular shitshow through to the end like I promised myself I would all those years ago. And I'm gonna be absolutely hosed and shpongled when I do, and it's going to be glorious.

Via con Dios.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TWD is trash but this thread got me on Black Summer so it was worth it

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

show bad

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I just remember back when I was still bothering with this show that the seasons feel like they're 48 episodes long. Doing just one is an ordeal because the show is only about characters suffering and dying in a revolving door soap opera. I think Rick loses his mind 4 or 5 times over the course of the series?

It's remarkable that Andrew Lincoln and co acting their asses off can't do anything to save the show because of how meaningless, mean-spirited, and dumb it is.

For me the end of the show was Negan torturing Rick with his god-powers for like three episodes straight. I wasn't an avid watcher at that point as I had to build up a tolerance just to binge it, and like everyone else I should have quit after s2, but geez. The show is typified in how dumb that famous cliffhanger was--we're supposed to care that Negan kills Glenn, and Abraham dying is just whatever because of how little investment was going into the horde of also-ran characters. But Negan should have executed every last motherfucking one of them, since nothing else made sense.

The cliffhanger turned out to be the cultural high-point of the show. It happened seven years ago and the show just shambled on, eventually without most of its core cast. Steven Yeun definitely sold high.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 16, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
In retrospect, it's wild that 193 issues of the comic are loving Shakespeare compared to the 177 episodes of television "adapting" it.

I will obviously hate watch the last season of FTWD because I can't even imagine what that show will look like with a no fucks given writers room considering what the previous seven were.

I can't even think of any other show that tonally changes every single season for no reason and isn't an anthology show. I don't mean to make that sound positive either, it isn't.

I really do not give a poo poo about these 3 upcoming spinoffs, the lore they've created driving them is dumb as gently caress.

the daryl show is set in france, where the virus originated. that's right, there's a virus backstory i'm sure none of you remember or give a gently caress about, so here's a show for that.

did you like the whole helicopter circle people thing where you find out a whole region of people with normal tech exist that aren't the commonwealth but also turn out to be assholes? no? well too bad, that's a rick spin-off, so have fun.

also maggie and negan in manhattan! watch them sneer at each other in subway tunnels, just like they did on the last show. everyone's favorite scenes!

that world beyond spin off btw was probably the most painful of all of this stuff, which was a new level of impressive. as bad as the rest of it was, that one took a few attempts to slog through.

like ffs amc, you could have just had the main show, maybe not padded it out and trotted it around like a bear you force to dance and let it lose a poo poo ton of viewers, and then just kept it to a black mirror-style anthology show (the only spin off not dreadful) where you let interesting creators play around with the property.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

like ffs amc, you could have just had the main show, maybe not padded it out and trotted it around like a bear you force to dance and let it lose a poo poo ton of viewers, and then just kept it to a black mirror-style anthology show (the only spin off not dreadful) where you let interesting creators play around with the property.

I don't know what creative mind would have seen season 7 alone and been convinced to work on the soap opera about homeless people sweating a lot at zombies

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is a drat shame that carol And Daryl didn't bang

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
drat World Beyond was so bad, those kids had incredible, unbreakable plot armor to the point where you knew they were never in real danger. Which made the stakes so low that it was just boring.

Also the main antagonist just up and disappears during season 2 and is replace with Jadis for some weird reason.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Ratings wise the start of this thread (negan kills glenn/s7 premiere) was 21 million, the series finale ep was 3 mil, which is double what it normally gets at this point. No wonder the thread is comatose.

Some final season FTWD spoilers I guess? How do you even spoil a show that looks like madlibs wrote the plot

12 eps, typical split season, including a 7-year time jump that would put it in line with TWD.

So yeah, canceled, but then split into four or five 6-episode arcs that are just a pseudo season 12 anyway without the cast of 57 actors to pay. This thing will never fuckin' die.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
And don't forget that they aren't allowed to kill off any of the cast in the final season so AMC has the option to bring them back in future series

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’ve never seen a single episode of this but started it this week cause hey Netflix has it. Halfway through season 2

So far this is like “LOST but zombies instead of supernatural poo poo”

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just watch the last of us instead imo

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
All of us are Dead too. So good.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Cat Hassler posted:

I’ve never seen a single episode of this but started it this week cause hey Netflix has it. Halfway through season 2

So far this is like “LOST but zombies instead of supernatural poo poo”

Quit while you're ahead after S2. Whatever plotlines and possibilities are in your head now are infinitely better than what comes next.

If you're one of them masochists you can do S3 but then, seriously, you've had your fun.

Maaaybe S4 if you're a true :sickos:but even then, really, enough's enough.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

watch all of it, theres some good laughs along the way

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

CODChimera posted:

Truly, the internalizing of "WE ARE The Walking Dead" :shepicide:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CODChimera posted:

Not worth it

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Checking boxes here about my comparison of this show to LOST. I’m only on season 2

X Dude who is the reluctant leader
X Older man with worldly wisdom
X Love triangle
X Redneck who plays by his own rules
X Pregnancy test
X Barricaded thing with debate about opening
X Woman accidentally shooting someone on her side
X Blood transfusion
X Missing child
X Horses
X “We can’t let everyone have a gun”

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Dont worry, most of those points fall by the wayside as they slowly kill off and/or replace most of the original main characters.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Lost did it first

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Well in my “never seen this show I’ll watch it from the beginning” run I just started season 7 having finally met the mysterious Negan in the season 6 finale. He doesn’t seem like a very nice man

I was expecting this show to be terrible but haven’t given up

Edit: oh there’s a tiger now lol

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 6, 2023

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Cat Hassler posted:

Well in my “never seen this show I’ll watch it from the beginning” run I just started season 7 having finally met the mysterious Negan in the season 6 finale. He doesn’t seem like a very nice man

the second half of the negan stuff is so bad, endless dumb gun battles, just wait until you see the car chases

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Cat Hassler posted:

That's where I gave up, until I ground out most of the last three of four series last summer. Series 7 is crap, from memory.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m watching with my son - his first time and the show is so much better when you don’t have to wait six months between episodes 8 and 9.

Except the farm season. gently caress that season.

And the Governor went on too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pillowpants posted:

And [SEASON PLOT] went on too long.

sums up everything after the first season. Especially once AMC started splitting seasons into halves (and thirds for the final 2, I think)