Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Still don't care about the Menu (I don't watch cooking shows), but Mike convinced me to check out White Lotus s2. Also Pearl, seem like a freakshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Sunk Dunk posted:

My theory is acting isn’t really that hard and a lot of people could do it

Its not. More than "a lot," with proper motivation literally anyone can churn out Oscar quality scenes within a day of training.

Its finding that motivation that turns so many away. The job represents repeated blows to your ego, even if you find success. And shoots are (typically) hard work and long hours.

Also it's a dehumanizing process. You're so often reduced to a thing.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

sure okay posted:

Its not. More than "a lot," with proper motivation literally anyone can churn out Oscar quality scenes within a day of training.

I challenge you to go to see any play put on by a local theatre group in your city and then tell me if you still believe this. There is so much terrible (terrible) acting out there that we are (gracefully) spared in our everyday lives.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

There are a lot of terrible actors out there, it’s true. Still, acting isn’t that hard. Being an actor, though, is incredibly difficult and soul crushing

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Putting on a performance that others can frame and mix into something that wins awards is something that anyone could do. That is to say, you could have the grip swap places with DDL and if the grip can memorize the monologue then a director can mold him to say it "just so" and a cinematographer can yadda yadda yadda...

Basally, the hard parts of making a movie aren't the acting. And actors are hired for their looks.

But being an actor, and taking all the poo poo that comes with it, is not for the faint of heart.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

sure okay posted:

Putting on a performance that others can frame and mix into something that wins awards is something that anyone could do. That is to say, you could have the grip swap places with DDL and if the grip can memorize the monologue then a director can mold him to say it "just so" and a cinematographer can yadda yadda yadda...

Basally, the hard parts of making a movie aren't the acting. And actors are hired for their looks.

But being an actor, and taking all the poo poo that comes with it, is not for the faint of heart.

Oh, okay. I understand now. You don't actually comprehend how acting works.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

sure okay posted:

wow you're really giving me a lot to think about

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

sure okay posted:

Lmao

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

People give actors a lot of poo poo when compared to any real job, but on the other hand imagine if you had to play a twisted character like the joker, and what it would do to your mind

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Actually I think the nepotism is much worse in the writing/show running fields, and is one of the main reasons behind the deluge of terrible adaptations/franchise revivals we’re all drowning in.

Bad actors get pushed out of the industry pretty quickly no matter who their parents are. Otherwise Jaden Smith would be making billion dollar movies right now, instead of being a guest voice on an episode of the Proud Family reboot.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

if you think being an actor is easy you've clearly never tried grooming a child.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

Bad actors get pushed out of the industry pretty quickly no matter who their parents are. Otherwise Jaden Smith would be making billion dollar movies right now, instead of being a guest voice on an episode of the Proud Family reboot.

I'm gonna make Harry Styles the benchmark on whether Hollywood actually gets rid of bad actors or not because that dude should not be in movies, but has a few under his belt for some inexplicable reason.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

That DICK! posted:

if you think being an actor is easy you've clearly never tried grooming a child.

Hmm

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Had no idea that was Kevin Bacon's daughter - she played the Texan girlfriend of one of the narcos in Narcos: Mexico.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

colonelwest posted:

Actually I think the nepotism is much worse in the writing/show running fields, and is one of the main reasons behind the deluge of terrible adaptations/franchise revivals we’re all drowning in.
I just remembered there’s a sequel to Ghostbusters Afterlife coming this year. Don’t know why that popped into my head. Oh well. Carry on.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Hmm, defending nepo babies, disliking movies that criticize the rich, and showing HBO Max "subscribe now" copy all in one episode. Looks like the hack frauds finally sold out!

colonelwest posted:

Yeah it's symptomatic of how we care way too much about actors/entertainers in general. Their nepotism is the most visible but it's also possibly the least dangerous/powerful form of it, because if the audience turns against you, you're basically done. Meanwhile nepo babies with zero talent can be gifted a trillion dollar corporation (or, uh, country?) and that affects way more people's actual lives. Focusing on actors just feels a bit trivial in that context.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

them boys got roiland syndrome

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Cubone posted:

think before you speak

No

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Groovelord Neato posted:

Had no idea that was Kevin Bacon's daughter - she played the Texan girlfriend of one of the narcos in Narcos: Mexico.

She was also very good in Mare of Easttown playing a junkie/ex-junkie. Which makes sense considering she knows other rich kids.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I didnt know the guy from Lovecraft Country was in the new Ant Man. Guess I have to watch it now. If y'all have HBO Max you should check out Lovecraft Country. If they haven't taken it off streaming that is

folks,

do not watch Lovecraft Country

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

folks,

do not watch Lovecraft Country

I mostly enjoyed the first like 4 episodes, what happened

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I forget how far I got. just seemed like it was trying to do too many genres. a big mess

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I mostly enjoyed the first like 4 episodes, what happened

It was just incoherent and stupid.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I liked the first episode of lovecraft country but I think I gave up by like episode three

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

sure okay posted:

Its finding that motivation that turns so many away. The job represents repeated blows to your ego, even if you find success. And shoots are (typically) hard work and long hours.

Also it's a dehumanizing process. You're so often reduced to a thing.

Being relaxed in front of a camera is a big part of it too. Pretending like a ton of people around you aren't there is a pretty unnatural feeling. I see people clam up even when a phone camera is recording them.

PostNouveau posted:

I'm gonna make Harry Styles the benchmark on whether Hollywood actually gets rid of bad actors or not because that dude should not be in movies, but has a few under his belt for some inexplicable reason.

He's still putting asses in seats right now. Time will tell if his fans will just move onto the next pop star in 5-10 years.

Lister fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 10, 2023

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Lovecraft Country is good from start to finish as long as you go in with the understanding that it isn't trying to be a cosmic horror show in every single episode, but is instead trying to take elements from many different types of pulp fiction. I found that the amount of disappointment people had with it was directly proportional to how much they expected cthulhu to show up in the last episode.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

I challenge you to go to see any play put on by a local theatre group in your city and then tell me if you still believe this. There is so much terrible (terrible) acting out there that we are (gracefully) spared in our everyday lives.

Or just watch movies with us on Fridays. So many bad actors.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hatecrap country

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

sure okay posted:

This is insanely stupid nonsense, signed, the person who is paid to make non actors look like they should be on television.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

That DICK! posted:

them boys got roiland syndrome

Pretty sure Mike was an alcoholic first

forcedstealthlevel
Jun 26, 2021

X JAKK posted:

Avengers 7: somehow Palpatine

Avengers 8: Space Jam 6

Avengers 9: Detroit Tigers 3

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't have problem with nepo baby in general. If a failson can't act and poo poo up a movie, people won't recommend it and I won't watch it.

I only get annoyed when some rich guy fund a movie by a director I like and put in him girlfriend to play the lead actress. Or when Snyder cast kalelno to play Wonder woman. I know its not a nepo baby example I just want to mention it. What do you call good looking people who can't act? Model baby?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://twitter.com/A24/status/1612811508861263879

Sometimes a trailer makes you really want to see a movie. Sometimes a trailer lets you know that a movie won't be for you. Sometimes you see a trailer and have absolutely no idea what the hell.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't have problem with nepo baby in general. If a failson can't act and poo poo up a movie, people won't recommend it and I won't watch it.

I only get annoyed when some rich guy fund a movie by a director I like and put in him girlfriend to play the lead actress. Or when Snyder cast kalelno to play Wonder woman. I know its not a nepo baby example I just want to mention it. What do you call good looking people who can't act? Model baby?

Celebrity

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Stink Billyums posted:

I liked the first episode of lovecraft country but I think I gave up by like episode three

This was me precisely. The first episode was tense as gently caress. All downhill from there.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

That trailer is cool but can we please leave goodby stranger alone, fuckin hell

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The real nepotism is behind the camera. These failsons drifted in and out of lovely productions for 2 decades, collecting paychecks while getting most of their work thrown out and redone by better writers, then they landed the LotR series all because one of their daddies is friends with JJ Abrams.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 10, 2023

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

edit: nevermind, you updated

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

colonelwest posted:

The real nepotism is behind the camera. These failsons drifted in and out of lovely productions for 2 decades, collecting paychecks while getting most of their work thrown out and redone by better writers, then they landed the LotR series all because one of their daddies is friends with JJ Abrams.

maybe these dopes are the ones who wrote themselves out of a corner by having Godzilla blast a hole into the center of the earth so Kong can come to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

https://twitter.com/A24/status/1612811508861263879

Sometimes a trailer makes you really want to see a movie. Sometimes a trailer lets you know that a movie won't be for you. Sometimes you see a trailer and have absolutely no idea what the hell.

OK. I'll watch it