Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

looks a bit like Synecdoche NY + Misery, v intrigued

https://twitter.com/A24/status/1612811508861263879

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

looks a bit like Synecdoche NY + Misery, v intrigued

https://twitter.com/A24/status/1612811508861263879

not even gonna watch the trailer for this one, just gonna go in blind for maximum effect

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zvahl posted:

the game series is called yakuza and your character is involved with such but i'm pretty sure not a single one of them paints a positive picture of the organized crime groups it portrays, even in context of the story

I think Kiryu quits the yakuza or is on the run from them in every single game, it's actually ridiculous to me that he keeps rejoining and I thought it was refreshing that Ichiban is not a member and just runs into them a lot (hence: Like A Dragon, not Yakuza)

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Speaking of jeunet, it's been 30 years since he hit the scene and other than his stuff at the turn of the century, irreversible and brotherhood of the wolf I can't think of any French movies with any energy at all. What the hell happened to their output

Edit they isn't fair, Athena just came out and started awesome but I'm still mad at it
p much every Céline Sciamma movie, cache, un prophete, raw, holy motors, Les Triplettes de Belleville, nocturama

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Un Prophete is great. I liked Rust and Bone too. Dheepan was kind of lame.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9y9lSMLK2U

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

loquacius posted:

I think Kiryu quits the yakuza or is on the run from them in every single game, it's actually ridiculous to me that he keeps rejoining and I thought it was refreshing that Ichiban is not a member and just runs into them a lot (hence: Like A Dragon, not Yakuza)
I'm pretty sure he leaves the Yakuza for good in Yakuza 1, they just keep dragging him into their bullshit because he's a legend or he works as a consultant to get them to calm down a little. As for the name, that's just them changing the English name to match the Japanese one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

god The Critic was so good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

grate deceiver posted:

I don't think we're supposed to emathize with anything a Yakuza patriarch says unless it's explicitly one of the recurring "good" ones. The "secret Korean" is really a plot point in one game and those games tend to have insane batshit plots in general. In 4 you have a half-Thai main character who is protecting the immigrants in Little Asia, in 6 one of the major characters is Chinese, in Y7 you have a Korean team member, a Chinese Triad team member and you work with the Korean mafia. In Judgement you make friends with some immigrant shopkeepers.

All this stuff about foreigners invading is gangsters talking about other gangsters.

That one patriarch is portrayed as a villain, and even at the end when he's given a chance to redeem himself, he actively chooses not to. He's not a character you are supposed to be sympathetic towards.

As for the secret Korean thing, the context is a survivor from a Korean gang which the Tojo clan wipe out joins a rival clan, and then works his way up to so he can get revenge by destroying the Tojo clan. I don't think that is inherently racist but there are obviously some weird portrayals of non Japanese people as pointed out earlier.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
if you wanted to deal with inherent racism in the yakuza series from an outside perspective it'd probably be easier to just look at gary buster holmes than trying to analyze the internecine racisms that don't exist in america because of location

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I play the Yakuza games at a rate of one per 1-2 years so I'd have to go back and see if there were any instances of sympathetic characters having some sinophobic or xenophobic moments, but it sounds like the games after 3 have a better handle on things in any case. It could be like some of the transphobic stuff in the older games - a blind spot that they improved on down the line. I know for the 3 remaster they cut a transphobic substory and rewrote some dialog about a trans character to bring it up-to-date. The series is usually good about stuff like that, but my partner is half-Chinese so some of that stuff has stood out to them a bit more as we've worked our way through the series.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

god The Critic was so good

i just watched the episode of the simpsons where he comes to town and it's so good how they continually just poo poo on the idea of cartoon crossovers the entire time.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Xaris posted:

yeah tho im still pissed how bad miami vice was so..

thief, collateral, heat are GOTY but man his post-collateral work has not been good

Wtf Miami vice and Blackhat are great

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

just came to a realization that brought me great shame and may discredit me for good: by my earlier definition, I must admit that I consider all three Foo Fighters albums from the 20th century perfect albums

from 2000 on they sucked tho

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

just came to a realization that brought me great shame and may discredit me for good: by my earlier definition, I must admit that I consider all three Foo Fighters albums from the 20th century perfect albums

White Limo's good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my first gf stuck the lyrics of everlong under my wiper while i was at my first job

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

loquacius posted:

[this is me following the prompt to not engage in music snobbery]

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Foo Fighters have like two good songs

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I’ve been listening to Ys by Joanna Newsom a lot lately

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

I’ve been listening to Ys by Joanna Newsom a lot lately
good, you should.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

R. Mute posted:

good, you should.

it’s real good, thinking about buying a vinyl copy

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i couldn't get into joanna newsom until i woke up on the floor of a friend's apartment after a night of heavy drinking to the sound of said friend putting on ys. emily is a great song to wake up to.

one of the worst hangovers i ever had, but at least it rewired my brain into getting joanna newsom. i call that a win.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I first heard her in a car commercial lol

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

lol, what kind of car is marketed towards joanna newsom listeners?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
she's ace. she should make new music, it's been eight years since "Divers" already

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Joanna Newsom sounds like she should be playing the saw

e: oh she's a harpist, yeah that fits too

R. Mute posted:

vw beetle, custom paint job

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
The unedited music video for Peach Plum Pear was on a funny videos site I browsed in high school.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

it’s real good, thinking about buying a vinyl copy

Ys is one of my favorite albums + i have it on vinyl, it's really cool the gatefold opens up and the lyrics are page-by-page like a story book, def grab it you can

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

"secret north korean" is a trope in japan about the yakuza because north korea supposedly smuggles meth and guns into japan through the yakuza and yakuza membership is like 30% korean ancestry. i don't think most of the real life guys are very secret about it though.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

timber timbre - the pink room has a meditative quality to its lyrics & rhythm that gets me in a creative mood

I have been listening to that and The Knife/Fever Ray a lot

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

yakubza

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

the entirety of only skin playing in the background to the image of a mustang tokyo drifting through the streets

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I am listening to Ys now and it is definitely the kind of weird poo poo I could get into but I read her "Early life" Wikipedia section and I went "yeah that tracks" like six separate times

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I play the Yakuza games at a rate of one per 1-2 years so I'd have to go back and see if there were any instances of sympathetic characters having some sinophobic or xenophobic moments, but it sounds like the games after 3 have a better handle on things in any case. It could be like some of the transphobic stuff in the older games - a blind spot that they improved on down the line. I know for the 3 remaster they cut a transphobic substory and rewrote some dialog about a trans character to bring it up-to-date. The series is usually good about stuff like that, but my partner is half-Chinese so some of that stuff has stood out to them a bit more as we've worked our way through the series.

In K1 Kiryu does domestic violence against a 6? year old Haruka and beats up not one but two transwomen if I remember correctly.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Newsome reminds me of the insane trend of american female singers sounding like toothless hillbillies. many friends in the 2000s would grab guitars and their normal voice would alter into this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SU0gFPMwP8

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

R. Mute posted:

I think it was a Subaru commercial? idk it was at least 12 years ago. I named my dog Sadie because of the track on milk eyed mender and Sadie from the thrilling adventure hours, and my dog is now 12.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

after playing Yakuza 0 I read about yakuza 1 and there's an interview where the director said they were having trouble getting away from stereotypical plots and so they let a new hire, non writer propose a plot and he said "an orphan girl is the key to a multi billion dollar mystery" and they were so pumped by that they let him write the whole thing. that got me pumped as well.

and drat the writing sucks. yak 1 after yak 0 is an ice bath

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Joanna Newsom and SNL alum Andy Samberg are celebrating their 10th marriage anniversary this year :eyepop:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

she needs to get off her big ol butt (compliment) and put out another album (Please!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Ys is one of my favorite albums + i have it on vinyl, it's really cool the gatefold opens up and the lyrics are page-by-page like a story book, def grab it you can

I’ve got the cd and the booklet is gilded like a bible, it’s cool

anyway have one on me is my favorite Newsom album, hope she puts out a new one soon.