Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Milo and POTUS posted:

He's one of the strongest parts of the later seasons. And the last third isn't bad bad, it's just kinda middling. It never completely nosedived like the simpsons barring maybe a handful of individual episodes

I've only got one season left to go in my rewatch / first time watch of anything after season ~7 and this is about right. You can tell they're running low on ideas and rehashing stock plots from earlier in the series, but the characters are strong enough that it mostly works, and there are still gems here and there. There are only isolated bad episodes (the one where the old lady wants to die in the house comes to mind).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so are Bill and Laoma just... not a thing anymore?

That plot point sort of disappeared with no explanation

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Bold Robot posted:

(the one where the old lady wants to die in the house comes to mind).

I really struggle with this one just because it's so hard to believe that Hanks entire social circle would take the old ladies side. Especially the cops, cops probably don't let little old ladies commit B&E's just because they're cute and sad.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
laoma's plane was shot down over the gulf of tonkin, it spun in, there were no survivors

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Laoma gets referenced in a later season when Minh calls her for advice. So, who knows!

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

laoma's plane was shot down over the gulf of tonkin, it spun in, there were no survivors

Dead silence except for the sound of dropped grill tongs

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

SettingSun posted:

"You know what would make me happy? A meal at the Arlen Barn with my family strategically placed around me."

Lol I love that line.

He follows it up with something like "now people might try to talk to you, and that's fine, just don't drag me into it."

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ilmucche posted:

That plot point sort of disappeared with no explanation

Along with Luanne having expert mechanical abilities.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The only real bad part about Lucky is Luanne’s character takes even more of a dive. More episodes than not she’s basically used to bring him into the plot and then not have a focus, and they only got better about it at the very end.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMbBrF1vrjw&t=89s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hank deciding to be Patch's best man right in front of Boomhauer makes zero sense.

Dang ol' cold, man, talkin' bout heartless and stuff, man.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

he told you about the time he put on the gigantic pair of khakis and pretended he was tiny. he was very upfront about it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

seiferguy posted:

Laoma gets referenced in a later season when Minh calls her for advice. So, who knows!

bill is just a side piece to laoma

bobjr posted:

The only real bad part about Lucky is Luanne’s character takes even more of a dive. More episodes than not she’s basically used to bring him into the plot and then not have a focus, and they only got better about it at the very end.

Missed a real opportunity to have Lucky head-over-heels for Luanne because she can fix his beloved truck better and faster than he can

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Y'all with the cult

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah this is it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Also, the episode with Boomhaur's brother is great, where we see Hank ask bluntly if he's lying, Boomhaur straight-up says no, and that's all Hank needs. I always thought that was a touching example of friendship.

200 pages ago but this is my favorite moment of the whole show. It was such a wholesome break from sitcom characters stumbling into the truth accidentally all the time.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Another underappreciated exchange is when Cotton meets Tilly's boyfriend for the first time. He introduces himself as Gary Kasner, and Cotton repeats back "KASNER??" followed by a long pause.

And you're absolutely sure Cotton is about to say something awful and antisemitic, but instead he just goes "I served with one of your tribe in the Pacific. Good man. Name was Brooklyn. You know him?"

"I know a Joe Brookstein..."

"That's him."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rolo posted:

200 pages ago but this is my favorite moment of the whole show. It was such a wholesome break from sitcom characters stumbling into the truth accidentally all the time.

I just got to that episode today (:lol: at Brad Pitt as Patch). I took it as Boomhauer admits to still loving Patch's fiancée, admits to being super jealous about the wedding, and then stating, while he's already telling the truth, that he didn't have anything to do with the girls being hired.

It's definitely a sweet moment, but I appreciated how it seemed like Boomhauer had to admit to some ugly feelings to give himself credibility.

Edit: jfc that literally was 200 pages ago. Bwaaaaah!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Dang ol’ Hank! Hank loves Hookers!

Bwahhh!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: jfc that literally was 200 pages ago. Bwaaaaah!

I started watching it again so I’m back lol.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

bobjr posted:

Dang ol’ Hank! Hank loves Hookers!

Bwahhh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQAPHBn1hek

I wish I could find the punchline to this joke because it's probably my favorite Boomhauer line.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Another Bill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQAPHBn1hek

I wish I could find the punchline to this joke because it's probably my favorite Boomhauer line.

MP4s from imgur don't play when embedded so linking to the album you can rehost it I stole it from a reddit post.
mute is in the top right don't forget to unmute!
https://imgur.com/a/rqLQE1N

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
God this show had amazing guest actors. How did Judge pull that off? Yeah, sure money helps but it still seems like he was deliberately sought after.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

God this show had amazing guest actors. How did Judge pull that off? Yeah, sure money helps but it still seems like he was deliberately sought after.

Severe pressure from Fox. Guest actors were a huge part of the Simpsons success so therefore KOTH had to do them as well.

Luckily it worked out really well, but welp.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I heard that the voice actor for peggy had really good connections and was willing to ask people to guest star

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh everyone generally did, and many actors like doing it because it's really easy in comparison. But the primary push was Fox jabbing Mike Judge with a stick and going: be like Simpsons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Speaking of the Simpsons...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7A0NLbcCC8

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Well, what was I supposed to do?

NOT dance with a dog?

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
So what's the consensus here? Are we pro or anti letting an old lady die in our house?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Testikles posted:

So what's the consensus here? Are we pro or anti letting an old lady die in our house?

Is she in league with those mold/insurance bastards? :argh:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Testikles posted:

I understand that an elder wishes to use your home as an entrance to the spirit world. My people teach that a person must be happy at death, or they are destined to walk throughout eternity on their hands, so their frown appears to be a smile. Food for thought.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Testikles posted:

you should but only if you have an interest in hosting a haunted bed-and-breakfast

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The only 'Lady' that doing any dying in that house is Ladybird!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

and sir reginald featherbottom III's wife

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
What’s crazy is that that episode is actually good.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
It's definitely not as bad as people make it out to be

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm at "That's what she said" and while obviously they're different shows and characters, it's extra funny to me to hear Mike Judge as Hank be super uptight, angry, and totally against literally any and all toilet humour when Beavis and Butthead would be practically catatonic from laughing during literally any scene here.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Feels good to say “wieners” again

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Just remember to clamp your butt joint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Bold Robot posted:

I've only got one season left to go in my rewatch / first time watch of anything after season ~7 and this is about right. You can tell they're running low on ideas and rehashing stock plots from earlier in the series, but the characters are strong enough that it mostly works, and there are still gems here and there. There are only isolated bad episodes (the one where the old lady wants to die in the house comes to mind).

yea I like plenty of the newer episodes, though when I watch KotH I usually just shuffle through the whole series randomly, and the new ones are okay side-by-side with the older episodes.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 12, 2023