Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked the combat in Control. I advise playing the game like a normal person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Again, it's people that use the gun too much. It's not a shooter ignore the gun!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I tried using the gun/s and it was even more boring.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Control was the most 6/10 game I ever played.
A real 6, not a games journalist 6. It was fairly good overall but all it had was rock throwing and some cool ideas probably stolen from SCP wiki and everything else was mediocre.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Control has the problem that loads of third person action games do, which is that by the end of the game you have all the powers and combat is way more fun than at the beginning. The best games find a way to make the early parts engaging too (Dead Cells is a great example) but a lot of devs seem to struggle with it. Sundered is 90% boring and 10% fuckin rad, but nobody gets to the rad part. Control starts to shine when you get the dash power which is pretty early but the action is not great before that.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PlushCow posted:

I like describing it as having a "flow" to the combat, when I play those games my goal in combat is to keep the flow going and rack up that combo counter, or at least not get hit, and it visually looks good while you do it; I think spiderman did a good job mimicking it while giving it's own style, in Arkham most of the time can just stay still and as long as you press counter at the right time youll be fine, in spiderman you wont, you need to keep mobile and swing around (like spiderman would)

It's one of the things I miss in modern Assassins Creed, combat in Black Flag had a good flow to it, and it could be way too easy, but fighting a big groups of guy without getting hit, grabbing body shields when they shoot at you, could be hard and it was fun when you did everything right.

equipping six guns and killing a quarter of your attackers before charging in with a tallyho was so good.

I really wish I never had to to go on land

The Pirate Captain posted:

Control has the problem that loads of third person action games do, which is that by the end of the game you have all the powers and combat is way more fun than at the beginning. The best games find a way to make the early parts engaging too (Dead Cells is a great example) but a lot of devs seem to struggle with it. Sundered is 90% boring and 10% fuckin rad, but nobody gets to the rad part. Control starts to shine when you get the dash power which is pretty early but the action is not great before that.

Doesn't help that being the director means jack poo poo throughout the whole game. In the DLC you get the ability to summon yourself some soldiers which is pretty sick

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

zoux posted:

Again, it's people that use the gun too much. It's not a shooter ignore the gun!

gun is fine. so are the powers

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

zoux posted:

If they didn't want you to use the boring lovely gun they wouldn't have locked all the powers behind a cooldown.

On the other hand, if they removed cooldown from the rock throwing then the game would've been even easier than it already was.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Doesn't help that being the director means jack poo poo throughout the whole game. In the DLC you get the ability to summon yourself some soldiers which is pretty sick

That sounds fun, I never played the DLC. One of these days I gotta go back to it.

Estel
May 4, 2010
The problem in Control is not the gun, the gun is fine. Is the people staying behind cover shooting at enemies like in a cover shooter.

With all the tools you have and how healing works staying in cover shooting is always the worst possible option.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The Pirate Captain posted:

Sundered is pretty interesting because the power ending final boss fight requires you to engage with how badly your power ups have broken the game. Up to that point the bosses have required more aerial traversal and then for the final boss the floor disappears entirely and you have to do this weord perma spinning thing around the boss arena. Pretty interesting game, I prefer combat with floors and didnt enjoy the bosses that much but I think highly of the game in general.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

No Wave posted:

Sundered is pretty interesting because the power ending final boss fight requires you to engage with how badly your power ups have broken the game. Up to that point the bosses have required more aerial traversal and then for the final boss the floor disappears entirely and you have to do this weord perma spinning thing around the boss arena. Pretty interesting game, I prefer combat with floors and didnt enjoy the bosses that much but I think highly of the game in general.

Yeah, despite what I said I liked Sundered enough to play through it twice, to try the light side and dark side powers. Doubt it will ever happen, but I’d love to see a sequel that refines the first one a bit.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

sundered stan checking in, I'm a complete sucker for games that take that mythos and do something interesting with it

plus it has awesome art and GONG

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fez_machine posted:

Two of the best narrative games of the last year just got bundled together for a slight discount:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/29945/Cartoonists_Turned_Game_Devs/

Abby Howard is great! I like her (slightly defunct) webcomic junior scientist power hour, too.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

big cummers ONLY posted:

Couple of Dusk questions:

- Do secret walls always have some kind of tell, or is this a "check every surface in every level" situation?
- Any tricks for checking for secrets faster, like holding E while running instead of tapping it, etc?

Might wanna come visit us in the early FPS thread for more detailed chat.

IIRC half the secrets are about noticing something is off, and the other half is about breaking level boundaries. I don't remember much wall humping, but I do remember a bit of "I KNOW IT'S HERE WHERE IS IT".

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sundered is a fun weird game that would be better if it werent a roguelite imo

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Estel posted:

You are fooling yourselves. Hogwarts Legacy is going to become the "Witcher3" or "Skyrim" for a lot of people.

Basic and easy to grasp gameplay, open world and "freedom", lots of things to find and collect and lots of details in everything.

It' ll sell a lot and it will appear in all the game journalists' game of the year lists.

theres a million generic open world games now though, skyrim was only special cus it did that poo poo a bit earlier

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Skyrim was an absolutely groundbreaking title in the genre of boring open world games with the depth of a puddle.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the seinfeld of "bad games that make millions of dollars anyway because of openworld and nice graphics"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It wasn't my favorite game but it seems like literally millions and millions of people love it and still play it to this day.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
yeah it is very successful and lots of people play+enjoy it
also it is a bad game

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the seinfeld of "bad games that make millions of dollars anyway because of openworld and nice graphics"

*extremely Seinfeld voice*

"And what's the deal with Khajit marriages?"

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

zoux posted:

It wasn't my favorite game but it seems like literally millions and millions of people love it and still play it to this day.

I don't have a horse in this race but my uncle says the same thing about video poker machines

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

zoux posted:

i’m thinking that’s more because bethesda releases a new port of it every 2 years, if someone who picked it up literally 10 years ago was still playing it to this day i’d be worried about them. like that autistic guy who was obsessed with bubsy 3d

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

if someone who picked it up literally 10 years ago was still playing it to this day i’d be worried about them.

Start worrying

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cowcaster posted:

if someone who picked it up literally 10 years ago was still playing it to this day i’d be worried about them.

I'm installing every Skyrim pregnancy mod I can find while shouting "this game's got LEGS!"

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Is there a mod where there's a Todd Howard companion and you can impregnate him and then after two real life years he gives birth and the baby is a new Skyrim release?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

K8.0 posted:

Is there a mod where there's a Todd Howard companion and you can impregnate him and then after two real life years he gives birth and the baby is a new Skyrim release?

Buddy, there are dozens

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I didn't like Control first time I played it. Second time I loved it.

The game for one demands to be played on beefy hardware. My experience at 30fps on PS4 was night and day compared to PS5 where I was getting full frames and there was just absolute chaos everywhere during fights.

Second, rush the main story until you get flight. The combat (as someone mentioned) only becomes fun when you're flying all around the arenas hurling photocopiers at enemies.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cowcaster posted:

i’m thinking that’s more because bethesda releases a new port of it every 2 years, if someone who picked it up literally 10 years ago was still playing it to this day i’d be worried about them. like that autistic guy who was obsessed with bubsy 3d
There aren't too many open world games that you can just fire up and do whatever in without it telling you where to go next. The last three Elder Scrolls games are still in my regular rotation for when I'm looking for that kind of game. It's a shame that almost every single open world game gets most of its inspiration from the Ubisoft style and almost nobody goes for the Bethesda style, because it's the one thing they haven't been matched on in my opinion.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Volte posted:

There aren't too many open world games that you can just fire up and do whatever in without it telling you where to go next. The last three Elder Scrolls games are still in my regular rotation for when I'm looking for that kind of game. It's a shame that almost every single open world game gets most of its inspiration from the Ubisoft style and almost nobody goes for the Bethesda style, because it's the one thing they haven't been matched on in my opinion.
Don't rile up the nintendowners.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Volte posted:

i'm saying this as a person who has taken nearly seven years to get through all of the witcher 3, how the gently caress have you not run out of things to do in skyrim if you've been playing it for 10 years

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

and you better not say "radiant quests"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ah, time to find tolfdir's alembic again, comfy

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cowcaster posted:

i'm saying this as a person who has taken nearly seven years to get through all of the witcher 3, how the gently caress have you not run out of things to do in skyrim if you've been playing it for 10 years
It's not all one long playthrough :wtc:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that's even worse! you said "ah, welp, killed alduin the dragon, let's go around that enchanting merry go round again from the beginning!"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've only finished the main quest once, maybe twice

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
You think that's bad, I've probably done at least 50 playthroughs of Dark Souls. I've done at least 10 in the past six months.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well i'm sticking to my original thought of "if i met someone who's been playing skyrim for 10 years i'd be worried about them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Jack Trades posted:

Control was the most 6/10 game I ever played.
A real 6, not a games journalist 6. It was fairly good overall but all it had was rock throwing and some cool ideas probably stolen from SCP wiki and everything else was mediocre.

i'd call it a 5/10 on the critical path but all the side content is 8/10

the main story was utterly forgettable, but the fridge fight was not. i usually like it when there's lots of cool stuff to uncover but it's so weird when the missable content is head and shoulders the best part of the game.

e: what a weird use of an idiom. now im thinking about shampoo. ugh.