Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think it makes sense that people have higher expectations for carries / main DPS than they do for other roles; they're going to require more mechanical investment, more time on screen, and more changes to team composition around them than a swap character. It's not an expectation that can actually be fulfilled without causing power creep issues, but I get it.
Well, it can be fulfilled a little bit. It's hard to put more than one on-fielder on a team, so they're self-balancing to some degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Any character who requires scarabs, beetles, or other very annoying materials should actually be stronger than characters who don't, imo.

beetles and scarabs get way too much flack when sakura petals, dandelion seeds and cecilia exist

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can plant cecilia so those are easy

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

They're also all grouped up in one location. I don't really get why that one is annoying? Unless theres just not enough of them I guess

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Any character who requires scarabs, beetles, or other very annoying materials should actually be stronger than characters who don't, imo.

Itto's pretty good so uh, one for three?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I never rolled for Cyno so I have like 400 scarabs from just picking up each one I've come across. Hope I get to use them soon!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dehyas from the desert so she might use them

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

you can plant cecilia so those are easy

og venti pullers don’t know this convenience

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Endorph posted:

dehyas from the desert so she might use them

oh

oh no...

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Maybe her talents will use DEF also because she's a bodyguard

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Maybe her talents will use DEF also because she's a bodyguard
5-star Xinyan, confirmed.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbzTMvXFmGY

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Just checked my pity timer for the first time in a while and I’m happy to report I’m no longer in the bottom 1% of luck.

It’s now at 0% :emo:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
We already have Cyno at home (keqing)

Tho he does look fun to play

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Keqing's glow up after Dendro has been awesome. It helped that she was always fun to play before but now she does damage. Or more accurately, she helps Fischl do damage, but you know.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Eimi posted:

Keqing's glow up after Dendro has been awesome. It helped that she was always fun to play before but now she does damage. Or more accurately, she helps Fischl do damage, but you know.

Seems appropriate that she makes someone else work hard

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Seems appropriate that she makes someone else work hard

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Space Opera posted:

I don't get the Cyno hate/disappointment. Yeah his burst is awkwardly long and he really needs some kind of shield to prevent interruptions, but he's a much easier hypercarry to play than Xiao and he's got good elemental reactions unlike Itto. Is it because he's not Hu Tao levels of broken?

as a selfish main dps, he wants you to build a team around him
so when you roll him you can't just compare him to other characters you gotta compare him to entire teams, and if his entire team isn't better than the other teams you could already make with the same supports (nahida + xq/yelan!!! those are some of the best characters in the game!!) then the character is just a big fat meh.
spend weeks grinding mats and potentially months grinding artifacts for a character who only works in one team and is just "about equal" to what you had before. or don't spend months grinding artifacts and watch them perform way worse!
the whole cyno/xiao/wanderer/itto hypercarry category is just not ever worth rolling for strength reasons. (well maybe itto just because his best supports have really low overlap with other teams)
I still rolled itto and wanderer because I like them :unsmith:. scaramouche is just an overworld buddy for now though. he's not getting leveled up for a long time because building a new hypercarry team that isn't a huge downgrade from my existing teams is a big fat pain in the rear end.

as opposed to supporty reactiony characters like nahida or yelan where you actually can move them around and throw them in a variety of other teams and have stuff work out, and they don't have to be perfectly geared to be usable because using them doesn't require swapping out your previous main dps and losing all its damage

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 10, 2023

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MNSNTZR posted:

beetles and scarabs get way too much flack when sakura petals, dandelion seeds and cecilia exist

Sakura and dandelions are plentiful, I mean I can see where it'd be a pain to swap to an electro or anemo character if they aren't in your party, but they feel way more plentiful than beetles or scarabs.
I haven't unlocked the underground sections of sumeru yet, so maybe there's some nice alcoves like the one under Inazuma city.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think everything aside fro Jueyun Chilis and Valberries are pretty annoying to collect because they don't grow in bunches.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

as a selfish main dps, he wants you to build a team around him
so when you roll him you can't just compare him to other characters you gotta compare him to entire teams, and if his entire team isn't better than the other teams you could already make with the same supports (nahida + xq/yelan!!! those are some of the best characters in the game!!) then the character is just a big fat meh.
spend weeks grinding mats and potentially months grinding artifacts for a character who only works in one team and is just "about equal" to what you had before. or don't spend months grinding artifacts and watch them perform way worse!
the whole cyno/xiao/wanderer/itto hypercarry category is just not ever worth rolling for strength reasons. (well maybe itto just because his best supports have really low overlap with other teams)
I still rolled itto and wanderer because I like them :unsmith:. scaramouche is just an overworld buddy for now though. he's not getting leveled up for a long time because building a new hypercarry team that isn't a huge downgrade from my existing teams is a big fat pain in the rear end.

as opposed to supporty reactiony characters like nahida or yelan where you actually can move them around and throw them in a variety of other teams and have stuff work out, and they don't have to be perfectly geared to be usable because using them doesn't require swapping out your previous main dps and losing all its damage

To me this argument still feels like "he's not better than the top meta Hu Tao, so he's bad/boring" which is...OK, that's your opinion. Doesn't make it not worth rolling for him or other hyper carries if you like the playstyle. Hu Tao also has a pretty restricted team and has to monopolize the best supports, but my opinion is that she's meh and boring while Cyno is a cool anubis cosplayer. He does good damage in aggravate comps and his playstyle doesn't require anything more complicated than some generous QTE button presses. My opinion is that this is far more worthwhile than hitting optimal screenshot crit numbers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can clear even the hardest contnet in the game easily with 4* only characters and 4* artifacts so by this metric cyno is insanely overpowered compared to the content he faces

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Coolness Averted posted:

Sakura and dandelions are plentiful, I mean I can see where it'd be a pain to swap to an electro or anemo character if they aren't in your party, but they feel way more plentiful than beetles or scarabs.
I haven't unlocked the underground sections of sumeru yet, so maybe there's some nice alcoves like the one under Inazuma city.

There's more scarabs underground, but they're still scattered about in groups of 2 at most, I think.

RareAcumen posted:

I think everything aside fro Jueyun Chilis and Valberries are pretty annoying to collect because they don't grow in bunches.

This is the real issue. Stuff like the chilis and berries have plenty of spots, and those spots have more than one. Valberries have the added bonus of more or less being on plains, so at night you can see a huge cluster of glowing spots, with relatively little climbing required to spot things.

In other news, I've found a worse friendship team than xinyan/chongyun/thoma/someone else: albedo/gorou/tighnari/dori. The xinyan one was more or less able to manage timed fights, even if it all went to hell against certain elemental stuff. Not having a sword guy makes the albedo one tragic. Thankfully, I can swap the two geos for heizou and layla; they can get their friendship in my exciting noelle team, and heizou and layla actually work pretty nicely together. I do wish heizou's skill had a shorter cooldown, though. For some reason it just feels like it should be shorter, so I find myself mashing the skill button and wondering why nothing's happening.

e.

Space Opera posted:

To me this argument still feels like "he's not better than the top meta Hu Tao, so he's bad/boring" which is...OK, that's your opinion. Doesn't make it not worth rolling for him or other hyper carries if you like the playstyle. Hu Tao also has a pretty restricted team and has to monopolize the best supports, but my opinion is that she's meh and boring while Cyno is a cool anubis cosplayer. He does good damage in aggravate comps and his playstyle doesn't require anything more complicated than some generous QTE button presses. My opinion is that this is far more worthwhile than hitting optimal screenshot crit numbers.

counterpoint: he has no ghost.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Zenostein posted:

counterpoint: he has no ghost.
He gets possessed by the spirit of not-anubis during his burst so he kinda has a ghost.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The problem with Hu Tao is that it kinda sucks charge attacking back and forth (and it's pretty hard to do so on mobile, since it's difficult to simultaneously deal with movement and camera angle).

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Space Opera posted:

I also think the whole 'you need to build a whole team around the greedy hypercarry instead of just plugging them in!' is a bit tenuous. The whole point of the hypercarry is they're the one doing most of the work, and generally the only one who needs full investment. Though my perspective is also skewed as someone who didn't have most of the lynchpin characters when I got my Itto. For someone who already has most of those units built up I can see why hypercarry can only be a sucker's game if they're not in love with the playstyle.

Xiaohou Dun was one of my favorites in Dynasty Warriors, so Itto's burst basically being his mosou attack helped sell me on that dumb himbo.

Unrelated, but I still say more claymores that are clubs are needed in this game, the debate club really made me think we'd see more and spinning to win as Noelle sold me on the game early on.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The fact that they're the one doing most of the work (and the other party members are usually just there to buff them or feed them reactions) is the whole thing I'm complaining about
Rolling a hypercarry really sucks because they re gonna be undergeared and underleveled for ages (like any new character), but hypercarry teams depend on that one specific character doing the work instead of splitting it between all 4 meaning the team is going to feel really weak/awful to play the whole time that character is 'incomplete'.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

The problem with Hu Tao is that it kinda sucks charge attacking back and forth (and it's pretty hard to do so on mobile, since it's difficult to simultaneously deal with movement and camera angle).

Woah, Woah, you need to be jump cancelling every charged attack. Part of the joy of Hu Tao

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

there is nothing fun about playing hu tao and I regret pulling her

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shes fun if you just run her a shielder tbh
you dont need to bother jump cancelling just auto some when youre out of stamina
its not 'ideal' but you still melt everything

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

overworld scaramouche

this is a can of worms about the state of hypercarries too tbh: because there’s a niche-within-a niche there, and it’s “good actually but at a (literal) cost”

scaramouche does gorgeously as a burst dps at c3 with split two piece artifact sets. itto’s fire at c1r1 and even more dumb at c6 (not that i’d go that far). xiao c1 extra owns with c6 faruzan. people really gotta stop sleeping on scaramouche though

i do think it’s kind of unfair how money-hungry hypercarries are though, given ganyu and hu tao work out of the box.

cyno and ayato are kind of the odd ones out in the big numbers game, but ayato has some funky utilities on his end too. maybe if i didn’t get discouraged from losing cyno’s c2 50/50, i’d change my tune but, as it stands now, he… is the worst out of all of them. but he’s the most fun out of em all

what’s really going to cause a shitstorm is when female-loaded fontaine comes out and no one’s broken

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
itto c1 doesnt even change his dps what are you talking about lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What does r mean when you're talking about characters? Does that mean with their unique weapon as well or something else?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

A more...refined...Itto

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yeah R is the refinement level of their signature weapon. C0R0 = constellation 0 no five star weapon, C1R2 = constellation 1 redhorn R2. etc.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

there is nothing fun about playing hu tao and I regret pulling her
:same:

Xiao is kind of poo poo too now that Wanderer is an optionfor raw anemo fun and Cyno has a similar sort of playstyle without all the unnecessary bullshit to manage.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No Wave posted:

Yeah R is the refinement level of their signature weapon. C0R0 = constellation 0 no five star weapon, C1R2 = constellation 1 redhorn R2. etc.

Ah okay, so it was pretty straightforward an explanation.

Boy the Abyss sure sounds expensive to complete since it requires multiple 5* constellations even though it's doable with 4* characters. I'm glad I don't care about it. Eventually I'll probably do one for the achievement but otherwise eh.

I don't have additional constellations on anyone but Itto and the standard Banner ones like Diluc or Mona so I was under the impression that everyone worked fine at C0.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Character quest trials indicate that C3 is the canon constellation.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
The more I play the more my philosophy around who's good and who to roll for revolves around building different team options to fill niches in Spiral Abyss. When Nilou came out, I didn't particularly want her on first glance but since I already had a Kokomi I rolled for Nilou since it enabled an entirely new team (with Nahida, but I was definitely getting Nahida anyway) which didn't overlap with any of my usual abyss teams. And again in this recent abyss rotation I've realized that I don't really have any teams that can included any sustained geo damage outside of my support zhongli, and it was a weak spot when getting past the wolflord

So for new hypercarries I'd ask - are they going to fill a different niche or use different characters than e.g. my existing Hu Tao team? If no, I'm not very interested (edit: unless I really really like their design and gameplay I guess)

Endorph posted:

you can clear even the hardest contnet in the game easily with 4* only characters and 4* artifacts so by this metric cyno is insanely overpowered compared to the content he faces

Even though I've seen this done on youtube by Enviosity and others, it's never really seemed easy to me. I have a few meta 5* teams by now with at least ok-ish 5* artifact sets and while I have 36-starred abyss consistently recently, it's not always easy and often requires multiple retries and/or going back and switching teams around floor to floor. If I were to restrict myself to 4* characters I don't think I'd be able to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e : nvm