Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Ran into this in the OSHA thread and it seemed relevant to the thread's interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tomn posted:

Ran into this in the OSHA thread and it seemed relevant to the thread's interests.

Now that's minesweeper.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A one stroke penalty for a bombing raid seems kinda harsh.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Defenestrategy posted:

A one stroke penalty for a bombing raid seems kinda harsh.

Only if you're a pansy who flinched at a bomb while swinging. If the ball itself is blown up you just place it not closer to the hole.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

"reasonably, but not guaranteed, safe distance"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Oh, this is too cute. :3:

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
Here's a milhist question: Was Sarumans plan at Helm's Deep flawed? It seemed to almost work, before Gandalf showed up.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

samcarsten posted:

Here's a milhist question: Was Sarumans plan at Helm's Deep flawed? It seemed to almost work, before Gandalf showed up.

You've probably already seen it but if not:
https://acoup.blog/2020/05/01/collections-the-battle-of-helms-deep-part-i-bargaining-for-goods-at-helms-gate/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

samcarsten posted:

Saruman's real downfall is not realising the Ents would attack him.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MikeC posted:

I have no doubt people take pictures of all sorts but in the field, it is unlikely they pack 3+ pistols. Troopers in cavalry units in service with the army and not on irregular duties are far more likely to value their shoulder-fired weapons. Federal cavalry especially since as the war progressed, they were given the lion's share of the most advanced small arms such as revolver rifles and magazine-fed metal cartridge semi-automatics. I have read about Rebel "cavalry" units who were more robbers and partisans than anything else carry a pair on their bodies as well as additional pistols on pommel holsters because they would never be doing real fighting and the pistols were best when dealing with pursuing horsemen.

Assuming that soldiers would preserve and carry the weapons most useful to them, a Confederate report on Wheeler's Cavalry Corps in late 1864 showed the following armaments being in "serviceable conditions":

Among around 6670 men supposedly inspected, 3896 Rifles, 500 Carbines, and 1978 pistols was the total count. In total 50 sabres were found in the entire corps and the report noted that the men largely used captured weapons and complained about the non-uniformity of calibres within the Corps. It can be inferred that the troopers valued long guns far more than pistols though I guess there is the chance that pistols were difficult to loot and maintain and that no one gave a poo poo about swords (the report complains even many officers failed to have swords). I don't want to undersell pistol and sword as both saw some limited use in cavalry skirmishes and certain units were retained as cavalry with sabre, carbine, and pistol, but by mid war most cavalry units in regular service fought dismounted on foot. Rifles and carbines were the predominant weapons of choice.

From Cavalry Tactics: Or, Regulations for the Instruction, Formations, and Movements of The Cavalry of the Army and Volunteers of the United States (1864)

My dude, it was a funny pic, no more.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Also a lot of those pictures are in studios.

They probably have a bunch of props you can use, including more guns. I wouldn't look at them as factual representations of gear, they're dudes flexing so their mom has a cool photo to remember them by after they die of dysentery.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SerCypher posted:

They probably have a bunch of props you can use, including more guns. I wouldn't look at them as factual representations of gear, they're dudes flexing so their mom has a cool photo to remember them by after they die of dysentery.

Also a lot are probably from after the war, I have a picture of my grandmother's grandfather wearing his civil war uniform and holding a big-rear end revolver that was taken in the 1880s and shouldn't be taken as a representation of a Union soldier's load out.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SerCypher posted:

After all what soldier/kid wouldn't say "Hell yeah I do" when asked if they want more guns in the picture.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Arrath posted:

After all what soldier/kid wouldn't say "Hell yeah I do" when asked if they want more guns in the picture.

A picture of a pair of tiny eyes peering through an enormous stack of firearms - Tommy, age 13.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

RIP Tommy, shat himself to death before firing any of those guns.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Xiahou Dun posted:

A picture of a pair of tiny eyes peering through an enormous stack of firearms - Tommy, age 13.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tomn posted:

But as a general thing regarding more pistols being better than, it does seem like you'll reach a point of diminishing returns pretty quickly where the odds of your ever needing to whip out the other pistols in a serious combat scenario goes down with each additional pistol until they end up having minimal combat utility but still take up weight and space all the same.

I mean, you'll basically want the following specific conditions:

1) You're in a position where pistols are preferable to long guns, i.e. close quarters combat (this is already starting to look dodgy when Minie balls are a thing - cavalry on cavalry fights seem like the main situation where this might come up, and only under certain circumstances).

2) You're in a position where you do in fact have reasonable odds of actually hitting someone with said pistol - I don't know much about shooting but I'm going to guess that firing a pistol while at going at full gallop while firing at another target that may itself be going at full gallop is actually pretty tricky.

3) You're in a position where it's important to not only fire off these pistols, but to fire them off repeatedly and quickly without stopping.

4) You're in a position where it's likely that you'll get a chance to actually fire off every shot, in conditions where you're likely to survive long enough to do so.
One thing you're overlooking is that revolvers of the time weren't great, they'd jam and malfunction. Four handguns is certainly kinda goony, but having a spare gun just in case your first one fails to fire or cycle isn't unreasonable. I remember reading an article in... I want to say Lancet, of all things? That gave new officers traveling to India some pointers on choosing their sidearm, and iirc its advice was to buy a Colt or a pair of single shot percussion guns. It's been ages since I read it and I might be misremembering, but the sentiment was that you might meet people who want to hit you in the face with a sword, and more shots = more good.

Wish I could find that article. It might be this one (although the 1907 date sounds late) but I can't check because I've not been a student in years.

Edit: And whoever asked about the sword and gun style, here's what Michael Hundt had to say in 1611:

quote:

It sometimes helps wonderfully, when brisk people come together, whether Noble or non Noble, and are there to fight with hatred, how also today the weapons in the brawling are not equal, and may soon reduce one to the other in thrusting and in cutting, how it is now the custom in several Lands, which is also heard, where one has a dagger and rappier and the other has a short barreled weapon and rappier, and rather, when one is forced to use rappier and dagger, and he has learned nothing of it: So your grace, instead of the Dagger, take a short barreled weapon, and there it will be well revealed, what is the best thing to do, or not, Where dissimilar weapons before the opponent will be used, then in the case of emergency must one use, what one can think of, because it is all come to the utmost, now in these dangerous times in the World.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 10, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Bill Shakespeare on the left there apparently brought a piece to a knife fight

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Die 100. Figur, die

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Oh! Sendeth thou for a physician!

But 's truth, not for me!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I feel like I’ve asked this before but I've forgotten. When cavalry or skirmishers "screen" other forces, what are they actually doing?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Maintain a loose perimeter a certain distance out in front or around the main force. The point being to spot ambushes and stop skirmishers from the other side from scouting their disposition or taking pot-shots at your main force as they are forming up.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Could you recommend a good source that explains that in detail? The Crecy book I listened to earlier made me realize I can't really imagine how things look from a scout’s perspective, because I’ve only looked at battles from above in games and books.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Siivola posted:

Could you recommend a good source that explains that in detail? The Crecy book I listened to earlier made me realize I can't really imagine how things look from a scout’s perspective, because I’ve only looked at battles from above in games and books.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failure_in_the_Saddle

Is an easy read for civil war era. Focuses on a specific campaign but can be applied to how cavalry was viewed in that war.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Now there's a title.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Problem exists between reins and saddle

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ensign Expendable posted:

Problem exists between reins and saddle

this is why they're called troubleshooters

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Siivola posted:

The Crecy book I listened to earlier made me realize I can't really imagine how things look from a scout’s perspective, because I’ve only looked at battles from above in games and books.

Fictional work tends to show scouts as individuals or small groups of men, but these would have been substantial units. Dozens if not hundreds of men, and almost always mounted if possible. Detailed topographical maps aren't a thing until the 1800s, so you'd rely on scouts and local guides to get your army from point A to point B each day. You often hear or read that they're the "eyes" of the army, which is a common analogy for good reason. Is the bridge that's supposed to be ahead still there? Are there settlements your army can buy (or take) supplies from? These are things a pre-modern army needs to know well before they actually get to the location. Fiction also tends to show them as being just ahead of the army, like by a few hundred yards maybe, but in reality they'd be several hours and miles ahead. But not too far ahead. It doesn't do a pre-modern general any good to have scouts three days in front of him who can't report on what's ahead. So generally the scouts are back and camped with the rest of the army at night. In fact, it was probably part of their role to find a suitable camp site for the army. The next day, the scouts would leave several hours before the rest of the army gets moving and do it all over again.

In addition, there's the obvious need to pinpoint where the enemy is as best as possible. In pre-industrial times there were limited options for where you can take an army, even a small army. Armies moving by land are generally restricted to major roadways in order to accommodate wagons and draft animals to carry supplies, and both sides know that. Even if your army isn't using draft animals, they're still going to be following the road most of the way because settlements are along roads, and they'll need these settlements in order to feed themselves. So an army defending their territory knows that an invading force will likely only have a handful of potential routes they can go. A defender would want to find out which road the enemy was taking, and the invaders would want to know if the road ahead was defended. Both sides would have sent mounted scouts ahead of the main army to check. It's like a big game of hide and seek. Regardless of your intentions, you want to find the enemy before they find you so you. This is where screening comes in. Basically, your scouts want to kill their scouts whenever possible (metaphorically blinding them) so that you can take advantage of the enemy's lack of information in some way.

Don't know if that helps you visualize their role better at all.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 10, 2023

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That does help a lot, thanks! I guess skirmishing infantry do the same thing, but on a smaller scale? So instead of riding to the next town to see what's up, they would hustle up a key hill to make sure there's nobody hiding behind it in ambush?

Unfortunately I can't find a copy of The English Cavalryman Failure in the Saddle anywhere. If I were to get into the ACW in general, is The Battle Cry of Freedom still the go-to book, or is there a better introduction these days?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 11, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Siivola posted:

That does help a lot, thanks! I guess skirmishing infantry do the same thing, but on a smaller scale? So instead of riding to the next town to see what's up, they would hustle up a key hill to make sure there's nobody hiding behind it in ambush?

Unfortunately I can't find a copy of The English Cavalryman Failure in the Saddle anywhere. If I were to get into the ACW in general, is The Battle Cry of Freedom still the go-to book, or is there a better introduction these days?

Infantry either in march or battle always throws out their own screen but they would be within a couple of hundred yards of the main body. Their job would be the immediate security of the command and would serve two purposes. The first would be to protect against enemy skirmishers so the main body couldn't get harassed while in the battle line or to warn their troops to get into battle line if the enemy wasn't spotted and the march column was about to be hit. The second was to provide a first layer of resistance to see how determined an enemy attack was or the likelihood that the enemy was just demonstrating to tie down resources. Opposing skirmishers leading an attack would pressure hard to push in pickets and defending skirmishers to mask the strength of the attack as long as possible or if the attack was a demonstration, to try and prevent defending skirmishers from providing accurate information. The difference is that these skirmishers would be tactical while the cavalry screens would operate at a higher level denying information on army or sub-unit movements as a whole during the movement prior to a major fight. Once it was certain enemy infantry was in front of you, cavalry typically retired to the flanks or rear to guard ammunition trains.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Siivola posted:

If I were to get into the ACW in general, is The Battle Cry of Freedom still the go-to book, or is there a better introduction these days?

I've read that recently and it's a good general history with fairly current research. I like Bruce Catton's stuff for the quality of the prose, but I'd recommend being able to tell when he's wrong before going for his narrative.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, to put some importance of the limited understanding of terrain based on maps in perspective, the beginning of the Atlanta Campaign of 1864 was Johnston's very strong position around Dalton getting turned because he missed an undulation in land called the Snake Creek Gap which was left uncovered and allowed one of Sherman's armies to get in behind his whole position, forcing him to leave very strong fortifications.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Shrouds of Glory: From Atlanta to Nashville https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2706090-shrouds-of-glory

The Battle of Franklin: When the Devil Had Full Possession of the Earth
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/7181655-the-battle-of-franklin

I picked up both of these books over the holidays when visiting the Carter House and Carnton Plantation in Franklin, TN. Read together, they give a great timeline of how the armies and logistics worked in the geography during the last Confederate offensive campaign.

Imagine dropping rocks or having rock dropped on you from Lookout Mountain:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Siivola posted:

For a Napoleonic corps on the march, that hill would already have been scouted by cavalry probably a day or so in advance. If the enemy were occupying it already, cavalry would take it under observation. If not, the cavalry might put a small picquet force on the hill. By the time the infantry arrives, with an open order screen, you already ought to know what is on that hill. You might not know how strong and how much, but if your cav does its job they won't overlook a key feature like that. You'll probably push skirmishers up that hill if it's so important, but that's more to secure the ground rather than scout what's up there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you want to know how cavalry was used in the ACW, Gettysburg itself offers one of the most clear examples of the importance of cavalry. Union cavalry under Gen. John Buford were scouting for a newly-agile Army of the Potomac which had just replaced Worst General Ever Joe Hooker with Nobody Will Remember Who Led the Union at Gettysburg Gen. George Meade. Robert E. Lee, who was unaware that his enemy's main force was now much, much closer than he thought it would be, had sent a brigade under JJ Pettigrew to "requisition" some shoes from the nearby town of Gettysburg, where they encountered Buford's cavalry. The rebels thought the Union cav was just local militia, and didn't even engage until much later, Buford quickly realized he was facing a large Confederate force and quickly dismounted and deployed his troops to hold the high ground of the nascent battlefield long enough for a full corps of the AoP to move up to properly invest the town.

Contrast with CSA Cavalry commander Gen. Jeb Stuart, who was by all accounts a dashing and gallant cavalry officer, liked to own the Feds by riding his entire division around and through their whole dang army, decided to do that instead of what he was ordered to do, which was screen the right flank of the Army of Northern Virginia while it moved elements across a river. You know, in case the entire Union army showed up or something. When Jeb finally arrived in the middle of the battle, Lee hit him with a 'General you are here at last' and was cold to him and I understand did not even offer him an iced tea or other cool repast, despite the perishing heat of the afternoon.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

had sent a brigade under JJ Pettigrew to "requisition" some shoes from the nearby town of Gettysburg,

This is a myth. I can cite print books if you like, but here, here.

zoux posted:

Contrast with CSA Cavalry commander Gen. Jeb Stuart, who was by all accounts a dashing and gallant cavalry officer, liked to own the Feds by riding his entire division around and through their whole dang army, decided to do that instead of what he was ordered to do, which was screen the right flank of the Army of Northern Virginia while it moved elements across a river. You know, in case the entire Union army showed up or something. When Jeb finally arrived in the middle of the battle, Lee hit him with a 'General you are here at last' and was cold to him and I understand did not even offer him an iced tea or other cool repast, despite the perishing heat of the afternoon.

This is also largely a myth, promulgated to protect Lee's "ever victorious" reputation. The fact is that Lee's orders to Stuart were ambiguous - if he wanted Stuart to screen, not raid, he should have told him to screen, not raid. But he didn't, Lee lost, and blame had to go somewhere. (A source, I can cite print sources as well.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

Looking across the broad sweep of events, judging Jeb Stuart’s performance isn’t as simple as it seems. Certainly, not all of his objectives were fulfilled. Most prominently, Stuart spent most of the campaign on a wild raid in which he was out of contact with his commander. He never linked up with General Ewell (not in a timely fashion, at any rate), and Lee was not kept appraised of the enemy’s movement. Whatever his raid may have accomplished, it also fatigued his troopers and possibly limited their effectiveness in the final fight on July 3rd.

Yet there are facts which defend Stuart’s course of action as well. Robert E. Lee’s orders to Stuart offered the young cavalier a tremendous amount of discretion; that he utilized that discretion rests at much on Lee’s shoulders as on Stuart’s. Materially, he brought need supplies back to the army, captured hundreds of prisoners, and disrupted the enemies supply line. Nor did his raid leave Lee entirely without cavalry. Although Stuart undoubtedly took some of the finer Confederate troopers with him, the brigades of Beverly Robertson, “Grumble” Jones, and Albert Jenkins were at Lee’s disposal. Lee can hardly be said to be bereft of cavalry when Stuart left nearly five thousand horsemen behind. While Stuart attempted to notify Lee of Union movement north, those messages never got through. Yet the three brigades of cavalry left to Lee could have detected those movements as well.

What ultimately motivated Stuart to take off on his raid? Again, answers don’t come easily. It is hard, however, not to see the battle at Brandy Station as the catalyst that pushed Stuart to undertake his grand raid, however risky. That “discreditable” debacle perhaps spurred Stuart to greater risks in order to repair his tarnished reputation. At least twice, Stuart had chances to abort his raid. On the very first day, Stuart was surprised to discover Yankee infantry blocking his path as it trudged northward. Instead of reporting to Lee and moving up the valley himself, he choose to continue his venture by moving further southeast, lengthening the raid’s duration and his distance from the Army of Northern Virginia. Again when Stuart crossed the Potomac, he could have bolted northwest to unite with Ewell as his orders directed; instead he continued his raid by scaring the Washington suburbs. Stuart pushed the raid to its limits, and the result was that Lee was without his best cavalry commander.

quote:

Most prominently, Stuart spent most of the campaign on a wild raid in which he was out of contact with his commander.

Seems pretty damning. Didn't know that Lee had that many cav on hand, why didn't he use them?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

Seems pretty damning. Didn't know that Lee had that many cav on hand, why didn't he use them?

Dunno, maybe Lee wasn't as good as his reputation?

Edit to add: I don't claim to be an expert here; my take is based on a class I took on US Civil War history, where prof was quite critical of Lee's performance at Gettysburg.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 11, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

zoux posted:

Of the 4 brigades left to Lee, two were essentially partisan/home guard cavalry (Imboden and Jenkins) and assigned to areas of least risk due to being untested and unreliability. The other 2 brigades (Robertson and Jones) were left the responsibility of blocking Snickers and Ashby Gap.

The former were in proper screening position and Imboden turned out to be a good commander. Jenkin's brigade came up short and Ewell's men were generally not impressed. Jones and Robertson were supposed to keep watch and pass movement of Federal forces to Lee while Stuart was incommunicado but it is likely they were overtaxed and had personality issues between them.

The timeline of events meant that for Lee to cover Stuart's mistake, he would have had to know immediately that the Stuart would fail his screening mission and reassign that task even before Stuart left Middleton. Not a realistic option for Lee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MikeC posted:

Of the 4 brigades left to Lee, two were essentially partisan/home guard cavalry (Imboden and Jenkins) and assigned to areas of least risk due to being untested and unreliability. The other 2 brigades (Robertson and Jones) were left the responsibility of blocking Snickers and Ashby Gap.

The former were in proper screening position and Imboden turned out to be a good commander. Jenkin's brigade came up short and Ewell's men were generally not impressed. Jones and Robertson were supposed to keep watch and pass movement of Federal forces to Lee while Stuart was incommunicado but it is likely they were overtaxed and had personality issues between them.

The timeline of events meant that for Lee to cover Stuart's mistake, he would have had to know immediately that the Stuart would fail his screening mission and reassign that task even before Stuart left Middleton. Not a realistic option for Lee

I feel like that's pretty critical information to leave out of an article weighing the culpability of Stuart's raid.