Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

sparkmaster posted:

This is incorrect. The feds will hire felons. No special licensure is required to be a wildland firefighter. Calfire may have different requirements, but not the feds.

Those on con crews are pretty sought after for entry-level positions. They normally come out of the camps with a goodly amount of experience and some basic quals.

Oops - you're right. It's Calfire, not the feds. https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Appeals-court-upholds-California-rules-preventing-17231868.php

Sorry - I'll edit my post to fix that. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Sundae posted:

It's not hard to become a firefighter. Just come to California and rob a convenience store or something.

Hah!

Beats colorado, where apparently now you just get put on bird-flu chicken-culling crews: The first human case in the US, 2nd in the world from huffing all that crap inside one of those coops. I can't imagine they are getting a lot of useful work experience, just pure lung damage with the occasional zoonotic viral spillover. I suppose getting convict labor to help your agribusiness out is "good with money". I wonder what the terms were there.

Hey, new rules thread up here. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021411

This thread is our (potentially) most helldump-ish, but hopefully we can keep the mockery pointed off-forums and continue to not be (huge) assholes to each other here.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 8, 2023

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
I shoulda been a firefighter, drat. Sit around and watch TV for 48 hours and claim it all as OT. Sweet gig.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

acidx posted:

I shoulda been a firefighter, drat. Sit around and watch TV for 48 hours and claim it all as OT. Sweet gig.

My roommate in college was a volunteer fire fighter. Very BWM if you can't count time sleeping in the firehouse.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Crosspost:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Cacafuego posted:

Crosspost:

At least they aren't dumb enough to put it all in writing and send it to an online news source, right?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cacafuego posted:

Crosspost:

my_crimes.draft

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sundae posted:

Oops - you're right. It's Calfire, not the feds. https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Appeals-court-upholds-California-rules-preventing-17231868.php

Sorry - I'll edit my post to fix that. :)

I’ll have to take responsibility for that mistake, it was my suggestion that the feds also barred it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Cacafuego posted:

Crosspost:

I’d probably call her bluff. Hell there’s a decent chance they get found out either way, so might as well take her with you. That’s some accountant though, and I’d assume they’re in some legal trouble here as well.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’d probably call her bluff. Hell there’s a decent chance they get found out either way, so might as well take her with you. That’s some accountant though, and I’d assume they’re in some legal trouble here as well.

Take the accountant too: "my wife and I jointly, upon our accountant’s advice, defrauded the government by hiding income"

Of course this could very possibly be the a case of the accountant saying "I need some paperwork to correctly file taxes on your business income" and what they heard was "if you dont have any paperwork for your business income, you dont have to pay taxes on it".

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

drk posted:

Take the accountant too: "my wife and I jointly, upon our accountant’s advice, defrauded the government by hiding income"

Of course this could very possibly be the a case of the accountant saying "I need some paperwork to correctly file taxes on your business income" and what they heard was "if you dont have any paperwork for your business income, you dont have to pay taxes on it".

Even if he could find documentation or evidence that the accountant knew what they were up to, I don't see how it absolves either of them from knowingly hiding assets to evade taxes. This has to be fake, right? I fully believe someone could be cheap enough to expose themselves this way to avoid paying a lawyer, but I don't know if I believe that same person would get away with it for that long if they were that stupid.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

BonerGhost posted:

Even if he could find documentation or evidence that the accountant knew what they were up to, I don't see how it absolves either of them from knowingly hiding assets to evade taxes. This has to be fake, right? I fully believe someone could be cheap enough to expose themselves this way to avoid paying a lawyer, but I don't know if I believe that same person would get away with it for that long if they were that stupid.

I think you're forgetting to factor in the brain-breaking power of divorce. The amount of trouble someone is willing to put themselves through just for the chance to also make sure their ex also faces similar troubles can be staggering. During his divorce from his second wife, my dad admitted to a ton of tax shenanigans and declared bankruptcy, specifically so that his ex would also have her tax shenanigans discovered and face an IRS lien on her assets. There wasn't even any alimony or child support at play, it was just lovely people going through a lovely divorce.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

I think you're forgetting to factor in the brain-breaking power of divorce. The amount of trouble someone is willing to put themselves through just for the chance to also make sure their ex also faces similar troubles can be staggering. During his divorce from his second wife, my dad admitted to a ton of tax shenanigans and declared bankruptcy, specifically so that his ex would also have her tax shenanigans discovered and face an IRS lien on her assets. There wasn't even any alimony or child support at play, it was just lovely people going through a lovely divorce.

Oh that part I think I get, sometimes a pyrrhic victory is still a victory in my book because I'm petty, mean, and shortsighted.

I'm just questioning the realism of this dipshit writing in to MarketWatch and not just getting a lawyer. Would a guy who would do something like that be the kind of guy who could successfully hide all those assets for that long? Am I vastly overestimating the difficulty of tax evasion?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
You’re definitely overestimating the difficulty of tax evasion for business owners. There are only a few specific categories of income that can be checked automatically by the IRS, like anything reported on a W-2 or a 1099. Those are very important categories, but pretty much all business income falls outside of them. Otherwise, some accountant has to sit down and carefully go through your cash flows and apparent spending and compare that to your declared income, and the IRS can’t do that passively; they have to audit you and your business.

If you haven’t really done anything to hide your extra business income — like, you’re just depositing it in your main checking account — that audit will probably reveal the fraud immediately. But the IRS has to specifically audit you, which generally means they have to think there’s a good reason to audit you. There are probably ways they could automatically find people like the OP — getting a list of people who own multiple houses would be a good start— but they’d still have to do the audit, which they’ve been underfunded for for a long time.

(If you control payroll, you can also lie about the wage income on your W-2. But it’s a whole lot easier to use a proper payroll service and just pay yourself extra off the books.)

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 8, 2023

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Agents are GO! posted:

I know it's a typo, but:

Tumor: I'm sorry, John, you're just not a good fit for the culture.

Thing is, he's well equipped to fight that firing.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, but it's a special kind of poo poo that involves not being able to be with your family during times where your spouse and kid will expect you to be spending time with family. I've seen that specific situation and it pretty well mirrors OP's. It's the kind of thin that is a lot easier to do when you're single and 25.

Also the pension is going to be entirely dependent on the local government. Random googling, for example, turns up that a New Hampshire police or fire pension pays out according to this formula:

2 percent (.02) X the average of three highest-paid years X amount of time served

So let's assume you retire at 20 years making the full 100k cap that was talked about, and you have three years at that pay bracket because you're awesome and became a Chief or something.

100,000 *. 02 = 2,000 * 20 years = 40k/yr.

That's certainly fine, especially if you have a spouse with a second income and were able to make additional investments, but it's not exactly the lap of luxury.

And remember that the 100k cap up there is a high COL area. The same place I pulled that number from (some FD pension website) said the average FD pay is about $43k/yr, which sounds a lot more like what the guy I know pulls.

Then you also have to assume that your pension fund is solvent. The same google search turned up a TON of articles talking about how up to their gills in debt some public sector pension funds are (FDYN is apparently fuuuuucked).

My brother is a fire fighter and it's common knowledge that in the last 3 years of your career you pretty much bank all the over time, hyper inflating your last 3 years of income creating a massive retirement check. This is in a major US city where the city managers and leadership are well aware of this practice and turns and blind eye due to the nature of the job and difficulty getting younger fire fighters.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rythe posted:

My brother is a fire fighter and it's common knowledge that in the last 3 years of your career you pretty much bank all the over time, hyper inflating your last 3 years of income creating a massive retirement check. This is in a major US city where the city managers and leadership are well aware of this practice and turns and blind eye due to the nature of the job and difficulty getting younger fire fighters.

That’s interesting, wonder if part of the issue is firefighters have strong public good will and attempted reform, especially in a city, would likely push firefighters to switch to neighboring cities that aren’t changing their plan but do have a labor shortage.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That’s interesting, wonder if part of the issue is firefighters have strong public good will and attempted reform, especially in a city, would likely push firefighters to switch to neighboring cities that aren’t changing their plan but do have a labor shortage.

Inflating your salary for the last few years is a common tactic in a ton of public sector jobs, not just firemen. Police do it, teachers & school administrators do it (although not nearly to the extent fire and police do). It's just the way most pensions are set up, and reforming that would be extremely difficult.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Rythe posted:

This is in a major US city where the city managers and leadership are well aware of this practice and turns and blind eye due to the nature of the job and difficulty getting younger fire fighters. because most of the impact is going to be well after their terms are over.

Public pensions are a great thing overall, but allowing some politically convenient categories of employees abuse that system kicks the can down the road and risks solvency for everyone including the non-special employees.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah, there's a reason that the pension calculation for feds doesn't include overtime...

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It also might accidentally be good policy. Firefighters get more money, and good for them, and the city gets the most experienced firefighters putting in a lot of hours fighting fires and showing the newer ones the ropes.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

lifg posted:

It also might accidentally be good policy. Firefighters get more money, and good for them, and the city gets the most experienced firefighters putting in a lot of hours fighting fires and showing the newer ones the ropes.

I think you would be surprised how little time Firefighters actually spend fighting fires. Last time I looked less than 10% of the calls my local FD responded to involved a fire. Most responses were as medical first responders.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

skipdogg posted:

I think you would be surprised how little time Firefighters actually spend fighting fires. Last time I looked less than 10% of the calls my local FD responded to involved a fire. Most responses were as medical first responders.

time to get that rate up to 50%. you know what you have to do.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Set more emergency first-response patients on fire before calling 911. Gotcha.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

lifg posted:

Meanwhile it becomes that much more difficult to retain social workers or clerks or healthcare professionals because oops, there's no money after the overweighted police and firefighter pensions are budgeted for, so pay drags way behind the private sector. In a better world there would be enough to go around, but the current prioritization towards politically visible public safety workers isn't necessarily a net good for local governments.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lol

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
OK but what are pensions like for derail birds these days?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Can we make that a firefighter toucan?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Please drip water from that toucan's beak onto a fire below, so that it can be a fire fighting toucan

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/macrocephalopod/status/1613184233463324672

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Lmao

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

there are apparently matt ygelsias defenders saying the equivalent of, "bips are percentages, so he's not wrong."

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Strong Sauce posted:

there are apparently matt ygelsias defenders saying the equivalent of, "bips are percentages, so he's not wrong."

If he has any fortitude he would cover this gently caress up on his next episode of Bad Takes.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

To be fully pedantic a bp is not a percent, its a permyriad which is a much cooler term than basis point

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Death recorded.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

drk posted:

To be fully pedantic a bp is not a percent, its a permyriad which is a much cooler term than basis point

This is indeed a much cooler way to say this.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

This is great because I was worrying the other day that someone was gonna bust out a question about bond pricing and clean Vs dirty price on me as part of potential interview and it's been 15 years since I did any of that stuff.

But at least I know what basis points are lmao.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
as someone pointed out in the replies, this certainly explains that insane book take of his, One Billion Americans

now why he'd want us to go down to 10 million americans, who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Strong Sauce posted:

So many people misuse the term basis point that I always ask for clarification if there's any ambiguity.