Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There is no wrong way to play this game: it is incredibly chill. :smugdog:

The wrong way to play the game is to go on the official forums and actively campaign to make the game worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Mr. Crow posted:

Oh god I've forgone my X52 pro in favor of the couch and a controller and I think I'm having fun again? I got through the tutorials and half of the challenge missions and it was actually pretty good on a controller? I realized I couldn't bring myself to keep playing at my desk, felt to much like work and it was a pain in the rear end constantly going from hotas to kb+m and also the constant downtime from SC, but lazing about on the couch it is a completely different experience (to me).

I think fixed weapons might be verboten for me because loving hell I couldn't hit poo poo, at least medium and smaller craft, but besides that the experience was good and the default keybinds seem pretty intuitive. Anyone play with a pad have suggestions (e.g. keybind changes) on improving fixed aim or is it just gonna be something I either figure out or struggle with, I'm normally alright with console shooters.

There's an option somewhere that lets you put roll and yaw on the same stick. It's a little weird but it works for me once I got used to it. It'll make small horizontal movements yaw and bigger movements roll. You can also set it as an alternate control scheme to toggle it on and off with R3.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
IMO, bind pitch and yaw to the same stick if you want to be able to aim at stuff, put roll and vertical thrust together on the other. Then handle lateral thrust with the stick clicks, unless you have a fancy pad with back paddles. A good tip to access useful throttle controls is to set it to move in 25% increments per click, with a hold input to max forward and max reverse quickly, that way you don't have to suffer the incredibly slow digital slider.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Gamepad user here, +1 on pitch+yaw on left, roll+vert thrust on right. I use back paddles for lateral thrust, and E:D has a handy built-in thing where you can use button combos for things so all my face buttons are "hold plus" buttons-- X+RT for 100% throttle, X+RB for 75%, X+LB for 0%, X+LT for full reverse, etc. You can go pretty hog wild with getting nearly everything you need pretty close at hand, although you'll probably want a cheat sheet on hand until the muscle memory latches in.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Something they added pretty recently is the ability to just hold a single button and have it register a long press as a different input. It's pretty useful. I think they might have double-taps as well? Can't remember.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
You can alsso switch between normal and alternate controls, which I abused the gently caress out of back in console-days. I managed to nearly double the possible inputs by making one button the dedicated toggle between both control schemes.

Should also work on PC, imho.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tommy the Newt posted:

Something they added pretty recently is the ability to just hold a single button and have it register a long press as a different input. It's pretty useful. I think they might have double-taps as well? Can't remember.

I just see myself blasting all my heat sinks while I'm panicking for whatever reason

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Inspector Hound posted:

I just see myself blasting all my heat sinks while I'm panicking for whatever reason

could be worse, could be when Eject All Cargo was inexplicably hotkey'd right next to your other controls

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
or the first time you discover silent running!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Tommy the Newt posted:

IMO, bind pitch and yaw to the same stick if you want to be able to aim at stuff, put roll and vertical thrust together on the other. Then handle lateral thrust with the stick clicks, unless you have a fancy pad with back paddles. A good tip to access useful throttle controls is to set it to move in 25% increments per click, with a hold input to max forward and max reverse quickly, that way you don't have to suffer the incredibly slow digital slider.

Swapping roll and yaw made a huge difference, and the tips about 25% throttle increments and hold max were gold too.

I've noticed a lot of the accessory stuff (shield cells) aren't bound by default will try and get the existing basic functionality memorized then figure out some combinations for those. Or maybe ill just keep it chill on their own fire groups since I have no intention of PvPing anyway so responsiveness isn't a huge issue.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

or the first time you discover silent running!

It should really change the lighting in the cockpit or something, maybe go all red like a submarine movie, that little "silent running, you're slowly killing yourself" light on the dashboard is not enough.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Is anyone else encountering a lot of desktop crashes since the last few patches? The crashes go straight to desktop and don't show error messages.

The crashes are occurring when I'm in ship doing exobiology on planets/moons. Mountains seem to make the issue worse.

I tried validating the game files which helped for a while, but now the crashes returned. I also tried lower graphic settings.

I didn't see any ongoing issues on their bug tracker so it's probably my computer's fault...

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Anyone had any issues getting an x52 pro working on win 11?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I have win 11 and a x52 pro, but it's been a month so I forget what steps I had to take to get it working. You installed the software for it? https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024847013--Downloads-X52-Space-Flight-H-O-T-A-S-

When you get to the nightmare of "why doesn't the i button work?????", the key is to go and disable "clutch". It's in the old joystick control panel, which still exists on windows 11 because lol. From other places: Run joy.cpl, select your X52, go to Properties, choose MFD tab, untick Enable Clutch Mode and OK

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Trying to log in for the first time since last Summer. Launcher says I need to verify, emails me a code, I put the code in and it tells me I need to buy the game. I own Horizons and the launcher seems to be set to Horizons, not Odyssey, but idk how things work now. I guess not very well.

Just got an x52 (non-pro) myself, and I wanted to play around with it.

edit re above post - do you recommend installing the software? I saw some people complaining (not-ED specific) that the logitech software was more buggy than just using whatever drivers/software windows sets up by default. (I'm not on Win 11 though)

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

RVT posted:

Trying to log in for the first time since last Summer. Launcher says I need to verify, emails me a code, I put the code in and it tells me I need to buy the game. I own Horizons and the launcher seems to be set to Horizons, not Odyssey, but idk how things work now. I guess not very well.

edit re above post - do you recommend installing the software? I saw some people complaining (not-ED specific) that the logitech software was more buggy than just using whatever drivers/software windows sets up by default. (I'm not on Win 11 though)

I ran into this issue once — restarting my computer did the trick

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

RVT posted:

I guess I didn't realize it wasn't an option, and I'm not sure I ever tried it without. Once I got the software configured, it seems to run fine. Plus you can actually make the screen show what buttons do when you press them if you go through and configure it all.

Side note, I had to laugh when I realized the flight stick modelled in the game is literally an x52. Unless it dynamically switches that out based on what controller you have plugged in.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

Anyone had any issues getting an x52 pro working on win 11?
I remember having problems at one point that I solved by completely removing the driver via device manager, then uninstalling the software, rebooting the machine, installing the software and inserting the device when prompted.

RVT posted:

I think it depends on the version of the driver you're using? Before I got the VKB HOSAS setup I have now, I used the X52 Pro and the software was fine if a bit fiddly (with scrolling when setting up advanced macros and such).

In Elite Dangerous, there (used to be) a hard limit on the number of buttons you can have assigned per joystick, and since the X52 and X52 Pro are connected via the same port, you can sometimes run into that.
I will say, though, that even if that limit is removed, the one argument to still use the software is that it allows you to setup quick-pipping so that you can make pip management much easier on yourself. In addition to that you can also go completely mental (like I did) and set up different modes (although this may be a X52 Pro-only feature, since I'm not sure the X52 has the mode switcher).

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
God drat I cant believe how buggy this stupid game still is

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mr. Crow posted:

Well the thargoids are invading so yeah

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Mr. Crow posted:

It's really tragic that it's actually getting worse. The game's always been extremely janky in more-or-less obvious ways throughout its lifespan but the Horizons -> Odyssey hop was grim. It'd have been unfathomable to many of us in 2018 that we'd start thinking of Horizons as the stable, polished mode.

To be fair the biggest offender for most people is networking which has always been terrible, probably to a similar degree, but they have increased the amount of content that relies on/encourages it so it looks worse and worse over time too.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I had a sudden fear that we were talking about two very similar x52 pros since everyone is talking logitech and mine is branded saitek but they appear the same. I assume something happened in the past years I missed

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ZeusCannon posted:

I had a sudden fear that we were talking about two very similar x52 pros since everyone is talking logitech and mine is branded saitek but they appear the same. I assume something happened in the past years I missed

I think Saitek died.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Logitech bought Saitek. My x52 is branded logitech but I don't think they did anything to the actual hardware other than slap a G on it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Yeah Logitch is just using the same old Saitek software. Which isn't great, but it's not like Logitech's other software is... good.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Tommy the Newt posted:

It's really tragic that it's actually getting worse. The game's always been extremely janky in more-or-less obvious ways throughout its lifespan but the Horizons -> Odyssey hop was grim. It'd have been unfathomable to many of us in 2018 that we'd start thinking of Horizons as the stable, polished mode.

To be fair the biggest offender for most people is networking which has always been terrible, probably to a similar degree, but they have increased the amount of content that relies on/encourages it so it looks worse and worse over time too.

Theyre totally doing the one live platform / legacy mode to focus on the game and fix bugs and add focused new content right?

Right?

:shepicide:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Crow posted:

Theyre totally doing the one live platform / legacy mode to focus on the game and fix bugs and add focused new content right?

Right?

:shepicide:

They accidentally found out they can monetize bugs via "loving up old cosmetic skins" followed by "sell :airquote:new:airquote: skins that look like the old cosmetics before they were broken"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yeah Logitch is just using the same old Saitek software. Which isn't great, but it's not like Logitech's other software is... good.

So, it neither Logitech nor Saitek made the hardware, were did it come from? :v:

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Gamepad user here, +1 on pitch+yaw on left, roll+vert thrust on right. I use back paddles for lateral thrust, and E:D has a handy built-in thing where you can use button combos for things so all my face buttons are "hold plus" buttons-- X+RT for 100% throttle, X+RB for 75%, X+LB for 0%, X+LT for full reverse, etc. You can go pretty hog wild with getting nearly everything you need pretty close at hand, although you'll probably want a cheat sheet on hand until the muscle memory latches in.

I'm back to playing this terrible game and my ancient HOTAS X has twist drift. So I'm learning to use an elite series 2 and this sounds like something to try, stick clicks aren't great for heavy use.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is there a keybind for the supercruise assist? Or anyway to not have to go to contacts and select it from the sub menu?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Libluini posted:

So, it neither Logitech nor Saitek made the hardware, were did it come from? :v:
From someone's butt, OP.

Mr. Crow posted:

Is there a keybind for the supercruise assist? Or anyway to not have to go to contacts and select it from the sub menu?
There's a long list of things that need possible keybinds, that one included.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

From someone's butt, OP.

can confirm, I'm using a Logitech joystick

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

Not by default unless you're using a 360 controller which has it as some dual key bind or a hotas 4/x which has it as uh, triangle+hat left?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cutedge posted:

Not by default unless you're using a 360 controller which has it as some dual key bind or a hotas 4/x which has it as uh, triangle+hat left?

Where is the keybind? Thats basically what I was asking I cant find it.

Also stupid detail I don't know why I never noticed but when you're jumping to another system it actually is centered on a distant star fron the skybox!

Also, some of you may or may not have noticed but the star you're jumping to is accurately reflected in witch space. Its most obvious for white dwarfs as there is a bright white/blue line going across the screen and the star is noticeably brighter than other stars, but you can tell with other as well, e.g. some pink stars will show a pink hue.

And since I'm posting stupid details, star ports entrances are always pointing toward the object they orbit, and when targeted there are arrows on the HUD targetting starport object pointing towards the entrance as well. Convenient for coriolises. Coriolis's? Coriolie?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Mr. Crow posted:

Where is the keybind? Thats basically what I was asking I cant find it.

There is no keybind for supercruise assist.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I'm an idiot, my brain swapped out "supercruise assist" with "enter supercruise"

Supercruise assist would be a pretty drat nice thing to be able to bind :(

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

quote:

There should be a hunger/thirst mechanic that you satisfy by synthesizing exobiology you find on planets

Think about it, it makes absolutely no sense that CMDRs can be out in the black for weeks, months, years at a time with no additional supplies. Having to synth food would address this and add another reason to do exobiology. Go up to a brain tree or cactoid and scan it for your sample, then punch it and knock bits off that you can pick up, or scoop in your SRV (if you shoot it with SRV lasers it will cook the food and provide +25% hunger satisfaction).

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Gonna gobble up those dick plants

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Whats a good profit / ton for trading? I've made a few hundred mil doing a 30k/ton route but am not really sure if this is "good" as far as space trucking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Mr. Crow posted:

Whats a good profit / ton for trading? I've made a few hundred mil doing a 30k/ton route but am not really sure if this is "good" as far as space trucking.

https://inara.cz/elite/market-traderoutes/

You can search them with Inara, 30k seems to be at the top end right now. I haven't hauled in a long time but you used to be able to get up to 50k/t occasionally, it varies though and I don't know if there have been any recent changes to markets to make them more or less likely to pop up.