Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

This is violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't know what that means

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jay Rust posted:

Can adult sons be considered kids?

on the rare occasion i go to tesco with my mum she parks in the parent and child spaces

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Weird to think about that the generation that watched racist gamers on YouTube since infancy are almost adults

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't know what that means

People are having nostalgia for Youtubers now

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Game streaming peaked with the Freelance Astronauts and it's all been downhill since

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

this appears to be a nostalgia post for 17-year-olds who liked to watch some YouTuber's reviews of mods, which I'm assuming is a small subset

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 10, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Most games have sons and daughters

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Most games have sons and daughters

Tails is NOT Sonic's son

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
maybe not in your headcanon

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Arzaac posted:

I think my plan for this year is to actually, finally beat Digimon World 1.

Never loving beat it when I was a kid because I kept evolving into Numemon, that drat green poop slug. This time though, I'm using a digivolution guide written in 2021, one that actually has correct information, and I will be getting good mons.

I loved that game but it was so hard for child me. What platform are you playing it on?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Looper posted:

other good answers are sunny from mgs, pino and josette from the wonder project games, mizuki from somnium files, and the baby yoshi from thousand year door

ahh gently caress i forgot about Sunny. And Otacon belongs in this too, for the Best Son Compared To His Dad award.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

tuyop posted:

I loved that game but it was so hard for child me. What platform are you playing it on?

I've got one of the original PS3s that can actually read PS1 discs, so I'm doing it that way. I think it's...a little imperfect, as I'm noticing some font glitches, as well as a small void in the town square of File City.

Playing it as an adult it doesn't seem as hard as it used to be, though I'm fully confident I'd be getting a ton of Numemon without a digivolution guide. There's simply no way to know in-game what a digimon's Stats, Care Mistakes, and Weight should be at, not even getting into Bonus conditions.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

gently caress man. I don't think the Until Dawn devs have any idea why people liked Until Dawn

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
why did people like until dawn?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Arzaac posted:

I think my plan for this year is to actually, finally beat Digimon World 1.

Never loving beat it when I was a kid because I kept evolving into Numemon, that drat green poop slug. This time though, I'm using a digivolution guide written in 2021, one that actually has correct information, and I will be getting good mons.

Please continue to post updates on this I am interested

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I finally got one of the creepy stone statue masks in Elden Ring. livin the life

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Looper posted:

It was atmospheric as hell and I love schlocky teen horror poo poo :shobon:

I wanna say it was also Harden Panettiere's next role after scream 4, but I'm really not sure on that one. It was a combination of things

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 11, 2023

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looper posted:

lovely annoying teens in grave danger

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was a horror game where I didn't need to be in constant anxiety worrying a monster would jump out at me and I'd have to fight it because that stuff was only in the cutscenes. Gave me time to brace myself.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

I was 24 in 2014

34 :(

Though I think my kid was watching DanTDM by then. He would have been 6.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

lovely annoying teens in grave danger

isn't that also man of medan and the quarry? house of ashes being about soldiers in the war on terror is a weird vibe though i get that

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Arzaac posted:

I've got one of the original PS3s that can actually read PS1 discs, so I'm doing it that way. I think it's...a little imperfect, as I'm noticing some font glitches, as well as a small void in the town square of File City.

Playing it as an adult it doesn't seem as hard as it used to be, though I'm fully confident I'd be getting a ton of Numemon without a digivolution guide. There's simply no way to know in-game what a digimon's Stats, Care Mistakes, and Weight should be at, not even getting into Bonus conditions.

Every PS3 can play PS1 games. :science:

It’s PS2 support that got cut from later models.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I finally got one of the creepy stone statue masks in Elden Ring. livin the life

hey Metis

hey

why the long face

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Using every part of my brain to use the triggers and shoulder buttons to strafe and adjust my aim up and down in Armored Core

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Looper posted:

It would be cool it there was an Until Dawn game where you played as a slasher villain, like "Behind The Mask:The Rise of Leslie Vernon"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looper posted:

isn't that also man of medan and the quarry? house of ashes being about soldiers in the war on terror is a weird vibe though i get that

I guess… haven’t played the quarry. But 90 minutes into this new one has been about 80% walking up a trail with no tension and somehow no QTEs, it’s so hosed up!!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

I am playing God of War (2018). It is extremely good. It's got me thinking, who is the best videogame son/daughter? The only other game I can think of off the top of my head where the protagonist has a kid is Fallout 4, which is, alas, not in the running for Best Son.

technically every character is a son or daughter or other of someone

now if we're talking worst i have to award both Heihachi and Kazuya Mishima for being simultaneously the worst sons and the worst fathers

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Dewgy posted:

Every PS3 can play PS1 games. :science:

It’s PS2 support that got cut from later models.

gently caress, seriously? God, I thought the newer ones only played PS3! That's wild.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Arzaac posted:

gently caress, seriously? God, I thought the newer ones only played PS3! That's wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnDe2u5M7e8

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Because I played through Elden Ring all at once at release over a very short period like some sort of wild fever dream I’ve forgotten so many of the smaller things so I’m combing over every single area again and it’s still so goddamn satisfying, what a game. I’m also v glad I went for a sorcery build this time as it’s a ton of fun and I can’t wait to find the wilder spells

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

wuggles posted:

Please continue to post updates on this I am interested

Gladly, I love rambling on about games I like

Started out with just getting an Agumon (his name's Terry) and picking an evo for him, Meramon. To actually evolve you need to meet 3 out of these 4 conditions: Stats, Weight, Care Mistakes, and Bonus. He required 100 STR, >=5 care mistakes, and 15-25 weight. Since I didn't want to make my dude poop on the floor a bunch I opted to go for Bonus instead of care mistakes. For bonus, basically every digivolution has a bunch of random other conditions for evolving, and meeting at least 1 of them meets the Bonus condition. In Meramon's case, one of his bonuses was 10 battles, and I figured that was easy enough.

Anyways a lot of the early game is easy enough. Basically just ran around recruiting a bunch of the early digimon and had a good time. The game at least has the common sense of making all your early digimon the practically vital upgrades: Agumon runs the Bank, Coelamon runs the item shop (and Betamon, like 3 screens away, upgrades it), and Palmon gives a meat farm upgrade. Plus you can get the clinic if you run through a canyon where Centarumon takes up a sniper position and shoots you until you reach him. I...don't think he'd be my first choice of doctor, personally, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. On the other hand, you can run into Pixiemon early on and man if you don't know what's up he'll ruin your poo poo. We're talking a dude with 6000 hp when your attacks do like 70 hp worth of damage, would not recommend that fight

I think I'm gonna try to digivolve my Meramon into an Andromon, because I think it's actually doable. His stats requirement is kinda insane and I don't think I can do it, but other than that he just needs <=3 care mistakes, 35-45 weight, and either 95+ discipline or 30+ battles. It feels a bit like cheating, but I don't think anything explicitly says you have to meet the stats requirement, just 3/4 of the requirements, so....

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Arzaac posted:

Gladly, I love rambling on about games I like

:palmon:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Buschmaki posted:

I am playing Armored Core 2

hells yeah.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

oh and the weird thing about the digimon world early game is that, you start in native forest and have to unlock other areas. however your options are to go through drill cave, which requires you to fight a boss and then wait a few days for them to finish the tunnel. Or, you go to Coela point between the hours of 3pm - 9pm, find Coelamon who takes you to tropical jungle (this also, somehow, fixes the bridge to Tropical Jungle). I feel like this leaves you in a weird spot where, if you don't find Coelamon (very probably considering he's only there at a specific time of day) you can end up just, kinda stuck in a handful of screens for a few days. I guess it's nothing, just strikes me as a weird game design quirk

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hey I'm gonna shill for Roadwarden. People should play Roadwarden, it's really cool.

It's a text-based RPG (with some small pixel art location and item images but that's about it) where you're sent to a backwater peninsula in the North of the continent ostensibly to act as roadwarden (a wandering ranger/messenger/problem solver) but in reality because your merchant's guild paymasters back in the big city want to case the place and work out how they can best exploit it. In addition to this you have a personal goal that you select at character creation, and the game will rapidly drop a number of central mysteries on you that you can choose to explore, or not.

After that you're left to your own devices in this fantasy world. Most of the game is managing your resources in the form of health, armor and cleanliness as you travel the roads, and just time generally - a lot of quests are time sensitive, each in game day is finite (and you need to be back at safe shelter before sundown to avoid getting hosed up), and you only have 40 in game days total before you need to return to the city and the game ends. The other half is managing relationships as you encounter various characters and settlements. Most people are slow to trust you, and it takes work to make them open up and start telling you the truth, and they'll remember if you lied to them or acted against their interests.

For those of you who absolutely hate the idea of a time limit, there's a difficulty mode that removes it, makes certain quests a little easier to progress and gives you a little more money at game start. I'd personally encourage you to play through with it on though, I think it adds a lot. The game world is interesting and well written, familiar fantasy without feeling overly generic and cliche, and I found the prose lean but evocative and only noticed one or two typos in my playthrough. Some of your choices are just for fluff (filling in backstory in a similar way that games like Kentucky Route Zero and Norco have played with) but many, many others are hard decisions that have consequences. I managed to solve one or two of the big mysteries in the setting but there are plenty that eluded me and I plan to do another replay some time this year to try and get to the bottom of more of it.

I have written significantly more words about this game over here if anyone wants more detail.

There's a demo available as well.

Roadwarden, good game, please play it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
roadwarden fuckin' owns

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mode 7 posted:

Hey I'm gonna shill for Roadwarden. People should play Roadwarden, it's really cool.

It's a text-based RPG (with some small pixel art location and item images but that's about it) where you're sent to a backwater peninsula in the North of the continent ostensibly to act as roadwarden (a wandering ranger/messenger/problem solver) but in reality because your merchant's guild paymasters back in the big city want to case the place and work out how they can best exploit it. In addition to this you have a personal goal that you select at character creation, and the game will rapidly drop a number of central mysteries on you that you can choose to explore, or not.

After that you're left to your own devices in this fantasy world. Most of the game is managing your resources in the form of health, armor and cleanliness as you travel the roads, and just time generally - a lot of quests are time sensitive, each in game day is finite (and you need to be back at safe shelter before sundown to avoid getting hosed up), and you only have 40 in game days total before you need to return to the city and the game ends. The other half is managing relationships as you encounter various characters and settlements. Most people are slow to trust you, and it takes work to make them open up and start telling you the truth, and they'll remember if you lied to them or acted against their interests.

For those of you who absolutely hate the idea of a time limit, there's a difficulty mode that removes it, makes certain quests a little easier to progress and gives you a little more money at game start. I'd personally encourage you to play through with it on though, I think it adds a lot. The game world is interesting and well written, familiar fantasy without feeling overly generic and cliche, and I found the prose lean but evocative and only noticed one or two typos in my playthrough. Some of your choices are just for fluff (filling in backstory in a similar way that games like Kentucky Route Zero and Norco have played with) but many, many others are hard decisions that have consequences. I managed to solve one or two of the big mysteries in the setting but there are plenty that eluded me and I plan to do another replay some time this year to try and get to the bottom of more of it.

I have written significantly more words about this game over here if anyone wants more detail.

There's a demo available as well.

Roadwarden, good game, please play it.

thanks, I drove myself crazy digging through tags on steam trying to remember what this game was called a while ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Who remembers that Project Sylpheed was a game that existed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unsii5r74l4

It looked cool in 360 kiosks.