Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Anybody have experience with Synology ABB Restore? Doing a bare metal restore on a server. I'm barely getting 5MB (not MiB/Mbps). I'd expect ~100 over a gigabit connection. Backups work fine (~4 hours on 3TB of data, running 80+ to the NAS). however, I'm trying to restore it and it is SLOOOW.

I've checked all the network cables (swapped), even bonded on the NAS side, and it will not go above 5-7. All ports are negotiated as gigabit. I've gone through a lot of troubleshooting, and nothing really seems to work. I've even gone as far as swapping out the blade on the server to rule out NIC/CPU/stuff issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I recently used it to restore my laptop. The speed seemed reasonable but I only had less than 200GB to restore.

It was a pain in the rear end to get working because it doesn't support WiFi and there's no native LAN card, so I had to use a Lenovo Thunderbolt dock but it didn't recognize any of the drivers I added. The solution ended up being to restore the stock windows installation, use that to create another restore image with the dock connected, which caused it to install the right drivers.

That is to say, what are you using on the server to start the process? Could it have wrong/bad drivers for the NIC?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I recently used it to restore my laptop. The speed seemed reasonable but I only had less than 200GB to restore.

It was a pain in the rear end to get working because it doesn't support WiFi and there's no native LAN card, so I had to use a Lenovo Thunderbolt dock but it didn't recognize any of the drivers I added. The solution ended up being to restore the stock windows installation, use that to create another restore image with the dock connected, which caused it to install the right drivers.

That is to say, what are you using on the server to start the process? Could it have wrong/bad drivers for the NIC?

Created a USB on the server before starting the process. Used that USB to kick off the backup process. The NIC is the same on both blade servers (Dell C6100's).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I have to say, contrary to what seemingly everyone says, my experience with a Synology NAS has been horrifying. The thing bricked itself three times during initial setup requiring a "full" reset each time, and after getting it running it's still hosed and I have to figure out how to do a full and complete factory reset and Synology seemingly changes their UI constantly and their support system is dogshit with the worst search feature I've seen in a decade. This is easily one of the worst experiences I've ever had with a hardware product and accompanying software package.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
That sounds like a bum unit. Could be bad RAM or a failing hard drive.

I thought you could just pull all the HDD out and it would start fresh, but I've never actually done that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It seems clear the hardware is bad, yes, but everyone has bad hardware. My main complaint is that their vaunted support is some of the worst I've dealt with. They have a plethora of support options spread across multiple websites, I've tried every one except calling them because I should not have to deal with phone call bullshit in 2023, and they have all been 100% useless. The ONLY places I have been able to find answers are third parties, and I can't even figure out how to start a loving RMA on any of their garbage websites. I don't know that I can think of a company with support as bad as this.

The option I'm most strongly leaning to at this point is making a youtube video of me destroying the device to warn other people off this dogshit company. It's so loving bad.

e - lol the tutorial on how to do a loving RMA literally tells you to do poo poo that doesn't even exist on the website. Can't even RMA this piece of poo poo, presumably like loving everything else they moved the functionality to some new, impossible to find location and didn't update their documentation.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 10, 2023

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Does sound like a defective device. My experiences have always been good with their hardware, though their support can be difficult at times. Do what I did last week, tell them to issue an RMA and that you have no more time to waste on a defective unit. The form will populate in your ticket pretty quickly. That's literally all I had to do. I have a defective SO-DIMM slot in my unit. They started giving me the run around and I smacked them for it. Got my RMA very easily.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Good news, their phone service is worthless too. Guy was so quiet I couldn't hear what he was saying.

gently caress this garbage company.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I love mine. No bs, just works. Maybe I should post every time it works great so when people look for opinions there's a representative sample.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Wayne Knight posted:

I love mine. No bs, just works. Maybe I should post every time it works great so when people look for opinions there's a representative sample.

Yeah, same! Though I never made it past their documentation when I needed support, because the documentation was really good. I actually have two in my home now, a 218+ and 220+ that my partner had when we combined households. Gonna switch to a 5- or 6-disk system after we move.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I just took a 4 disk Synology offline that was 12 years old and still have a 2 drive Synology with 10TB drives as a cold storage solution thats drat near 15. yeah its slow as poo poo but it works and isn't super painful to use. I like their stuff because it's low on BS and even an idiot like me can figure them out.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
QNAP has had a pretty bad run of security issues recently, so I'd have a hard time giving them any sort of nod over Synology regardless of who has an easier RMA. They still seem like the best option for people who can't or don't want to DIY it themselves.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I went with the Synology box just because it seemed like a good way to not have to spend the time to DIY, but at this point I'm fairly confident I could have built a system and figured out TrueNAS to my satisfaction in less time. From the little I've been able to see, it's not like Synology actually seems to offer much software-wise other than prompting you to create a pool and volume anyway. If I do want to DIY, something reasonably power efficient that can handle 4 drives, what would I be looking at in terms of a case and a hardware platform?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Probably a HP micro server if you want that kind of form factor without a lot of hassle, I think they have 4 bays and will happily run whatever you feel like.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

K8.0 posted:

I went with the Synology box just because it seemed like a good way to not have to spend the time to DIY, but at this point I'm fairly confident I could have built a system and figured out TrueNAS to my satisfaction in less time. From the little I've been able to see, it's not like Synology actually seems to offer much software-wise other than prompting you to create a pool and volume anyway. If I do want to DIY, something reasonably power efficient that can handle 4 drives, what would I be looking at in terms of a case and a hardware platform?

You probably could have, but it's really when things go wrong that the difference becomes more apparent. With Synology, you have a support team that you can contact and from I've heard they are very helpful. With TrueNAS, it's spending a bunch of time pouring over the forums and hopefully finding some kind soul that will answer your question!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Things did go wrong. And my experience has been that their support team could not possibly be more poo poo. I used their phone support, could not even understand the guy he was so quiet. Used chat support, gave a concise description of the issue, guy just ignored me for about 20 minutes then marked the ticket as complete. Their knowledge base is like 2000 era MS bad, where simple searches like "hardware reset" have the obvious #1 result down at #4 and with the actual answer buried at the bottom of the excessively detailed article - something I only found hours after finding it on a third party site. Their automated support site has help that tells you to click links that aren't even there, complete with images so you can be sure it's them and not you loving up. My opinion of Synology has gone from presuming people know what they're talking about when they say they're good to "this company is bottom of the barrel garbage" in two days. I've RMA'd a lot of poo poo from a huge number of companies over the years, I've never once not been able to figure out how to start an RMA and had to resort to clicking random topics in the third different support site until it gives you the option to create a ticket that will get to an actual human. Who knows how long it will take them to reply. Synology SUCKS.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Yeah definitely a microserver of some flavor. If you watch ebay you can pick up a generation or two old ones for wildly cheap prices. I just picked up a gen9 to play with for $115 last month.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

e.pilot posted:

Yeah definitely a microserver of some flavor. If you watch ebay you can pick up a generation or two old ones for wildly cheap prices. I just picked up a gen9 to play with for $115 last month.

That deals still going btw

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

SpartanIvy posted:

That deals still going btw

Hell yeah, that’s such a crazy bargain.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Wayne Knight posted:

Yup, I've had some variation of synology (RS or DS) running in my house for over a decade, never had an issue. Haven't had to deal with an RMA, so can't speak to that, but bum units aside, they seem fine to me. 1 more data point.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My Synology use case is pretty trivial (music server) but I bought it back when a 1TB spinner seemed like a splurge, and it's still just humming along.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

e.pilot posted:

Hell yeah, that’s such a crazy bargain.

I broke down and bought one. Was it ever figured out which ECC ram was the one to get for it?

E: this will be my first NAS that will be a media server, backup server, and eventually handle my homes video security.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 11, 2023

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

So, having established that I am probably unwilling to tolerate how poo poo Synology is in every possible way, I need to start considering my alternatives because I cannot imagine they are possibly this bad. For reference, my current level of gently caress you and die in a fire Synology is that I would have a far greater level of faith in just building a random windows PC and using Storage Spaces to share data than I would battling with Synology's awful hardware, awful software, awful documentation, and awful support.

I don't really care about the form factor, so I don't particularly care for a Microserver. It seems to be the case that I probably should NOT be running a bunch of poo poo on the NAS, so maybe I don't need that much power in this particular machine? Is there a good guide to all this stuff in one place somewhere, like what you may want to do and how you should generally be planning on configuring it? i.e. should I just be defaulting to TrueNAS? How should I be configuring it? What specific hardware would make sense for me?

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 11, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
speaking of which what do people think about the HPE microservers? anything better around in that price range, say $500-1k with 4 bays? any of the QNAP ryzen models worthwhile at all?

does anyone have any major complaints about the X470D4U base model?

also, does the Intel I226-v work yet or is intel 2.5gbe just forever cursed? there are some decent deals on 6x2.5gbe firewall appliances with 1165G7 but they all use the intel shitsets lol. maybe it'd be better to get something with a pcie slot and just put it in a velka case or something with an actual NIC card

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 11, 2023

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It should work in Linux kernel 5.15+ I think but who knows. Seeing those same deals, tempted but I already have a little Protectli FW3b 4 pt 4c/8gb box doing firewall testing duties.

Ok review here - points out that the 226 isn't supported in pfSense 2.6 but is in 2.7RC

https://www.servethehome.com/new-fanless-4x-2-5gbe-intel-n5105-i226-v-firewall-tested/

I think the HPs are a nice form factor but not much more. The CPU is definitely the weakest point. You'll get much more value out of a smallish matx or itx desktop build with a suitable case for anything beyond serving files - be sure to check the CPU actually has an iGPU and supports quicksync if you're planning on Plex.

Aware fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 11, 2023

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Paul MaudDib posted:

speaking of which what do people think about the HPE microservers? anything better around in that price range, say $500-1k with 4 bays? any of the QNAP ryzen models worthwhile at all?

also, does the Intel I226-v work yet or is intel 2.5gbe just forever cursed? there are some decent deals on 6x2.5gbe firewall appliances with 1165G7 but they all use the intel shitsets lol. maybe it'd be better to get something with a pcie slot and just put it in a velka case or something with an actual NIC card

I’ve been running a Gen10+ for a little over 2 years, it’s been great. Low power and really quiet. My only complaint with it is the lack of quicksync.

And just got a Gen9 I’m going to try and upgrade like crazy once all the parts come in.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Tbh my experience is that all 2.5Gbit chipsets seem to be cursed. The realtek model on both motherboards here just randomly dies now and then, and doesn't reappear until you power cycle.

e: Though I have a Mikrotik SFP+ transceiver here that claims to support 10/100M and 1/2.5/5/10Gbit over copper . I haven't actually tested that at 2.5, and I don't have the hardware to do so at hand right now. Bit silly to buy a 10bit SFP+ card to run at 2.5Gbit copper, but it'd be funny if it just worked.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 12, 2023

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

e.pilot posted:

Link plz?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125245249590

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Wow thank you. Ran an old Turion micro server for years, great hardware.

I assume I could swap a 4 core Xeon in there for some extra oomph?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

AlternateAccount posted:

Wow thank you. Ran an old Turion micro server for years, great hardware.

I assume I could swap a 4 core Xeon in there for some extra oomph?

You should be able to yeah, there’s a list of officially compatible processors out there.

I’m going to be trying a E3-1270 in it once I get the chance.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

e.pilot posted:

You should be able to yeah, there’s a list of officially compatible processors out there.

I’m going to be trying a E3-1270 in it once I get the chance.

Groovy. Yeah I'll probably run some light docker containers on top of unraid or something, so another couple of cores and some more RAM will be handy.

code:
NOTE: B140i can't mix with any standup internal controller. 
Does this mean you can't run a SAS card to stack more drives? Thinking of getting a 2x5.25" -> 3x3.5" adapter and adding a controller I have sitting around. Did that in my old N40 to run up to a 6x25" bay and it worked great.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
HPE stuff is kind of hit or miss with things they don’t officially support. Some stuff works just fine, other stuff not so much. If you’ve already got the card it’s worth a shot.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It helps to grab HPE branded devices - so for example if you want a SAS HBA from LSI, grab a a HPE H220 HBA which is just a rebranded LSI controller with HPE PCI-IDs, or a H221 or H222 if you need one or two external ports.

You can, of course, reflash it with the IT mode firmware too.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 12, 2023

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
last year i have purchase 3 x 14 TB easy store drives for shucking purposes. I was going to get another 3 drives this year but vacation got in the way of black friday.

I was thinking about taking my current desktop which is a Pentium G3258 with 24 gigabytes of memory install the drives, 1 SSD for a cache drive and use Unraid. I see that in the past couple of pages that this is an avenue to go. I have a Lenovo m920q with 32 gigs of memory running my docker containers. If i am running one or two containers on the unraid box will the G3258 be sufficient to run unraid?

Also say down the line i want to add more drives to a pool, would it be easy to do this?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

RoboBoogie posted:

Also say down the line i want to add more drives to a pool, would it be easy to do this?
you just stop the array, assign the drive to an empty slot, and start the array. then come back the next day.

you can do the waiting bit first though with the preclear plugin, and add the drive when you're done.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

RoboBoogie posted:

I was thinking about taking my current desktop which is a Pentium G3258 with 24 gigabytes of memory install the drives, 1 SSD for a cache drive and use Unraid. I see that in the past couple of pages that this is an avenue to go. I have a Lenovo m920q with 32 gigs of memory running my docker containers. If i am running one or two containers on the unraid box will the G3258 be sufficient to run unraid?

Should be more than enough.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

RoboBoogie posted:

I'd think that the CPU would be fine for that use case, though I'm not as well versed with Pentium performance.

But if you're running Unraid, adding new drives is an extremely simple process which is basically the main selling point for it (at least it was for me). There's not really pools, just a single array of all your drives. You just stop the array, add the new drives, start it back up, and they'll be added (after clearing and formatting). Drives don't need to be a matching size or anything, they just need to no be larger than your parity drive, so you can mix and match with whatever drives you have or pick up on sale going forward.

e:fb

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
incidentally I am feeling overwhelmed with power at seeing "free space: 62 TB"

I should have done this poo poo sooner

I also should have built my own rather than running unraid on a qnap box but I got a decent discount and then avoided paying vat, which I thought would bring the price down enough that the lack of hassle would be worth it. Still had to gently caress around for a while because it apparently picks which device to boot from at random every boot or cycles them in order or some poo poo and there's no way I can find to access the bios.

But it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

K8.0 posted:

So, having established that I am probably unwilling to tolerate how poo poo Synology is in every possible way, I need to start considering my alternatives because I cannot imagine they are possibly this bad. For reference, my current level of gently caress you and die in a fire Synology is that I would have a far greater level of faith in just building a random windows PC and using Storage Spaces to share data than I would battling with Synology's awful hardware, awful software, awful documentation, and awful support.

I don't really care about the form factor, so I don't particularly care for a Microserver. It seems to be the case that I probably should NOT be running a bunch of poo poo on the NAS, so maybe I don't need that much power in this particular machine? Is there a good guide to all this stuff in one place somewhere, like what you may want to do and how you should generally be planning on configuring it? i.e. should I just be defaulting to TrueNAS? How should I be configuring it? What specific hardware would make sense for me?

There's a lot of different levels of hardware cost/scaling here. What are you trying to do? A mirrored pair to back up files or do you want some huge media server thing? You could get by with anything from an old NUC or retired SFF business PC with an external drive enclosure to an actual off the rack server with proper enterprise poo poo in it. I've always just kept my last-generation desktop PC as my NAS, so right now it's an old 7700k that still works just fine that used to be in some random cheap case I don't even remember the name of but I eventually ran out of drive bays and bought a supermicro chassis off ebay to fix that. That's hardly a powerhouse CPU these days but it's got more than enough leftover power to run basic truenas apps on it, memory matters a lot more for that stuff than CPU in my experience and DDR4 is stupid cheap now. I did add a SAS card and a 10GbE card but both of those were used and also pretty cheap.

I run truenas but unraid is totally fine. Truenas gives you more poo poo to fiddle with but that can be both good or bad based on what you want to do with it, and unraid has more apps but you may need them to do stuff that truenas can do out of the box (at least when I last looked at it). I actually used to legit run storage spaces and it worked totally fine if not very performant except that once I got past a certain number of drives it would take windows so long to start them that I/O would start timing out, which was a stupid problem. But again with like 2-4 drives it'd work just fine.