Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

actionjackson posted:

is there a way to find out if a property has been sold if it wasn't MLS listed?

The deed recording is public. You can check your county property appraiser website for a starting place. Might need to look through your county clerk of court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

The deed recording is public. You can check your county property appraiser website for a starting place. Might need to look through your county clerk of court.

ok thanks. it supposedly closed today, i don't see anything on the county property info site yet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

actionjackson posted:

ok thanks. it supposedly closed today, i don't see anything on the county property info site yet.

If it just closed today you probably won't see the update for a bit. The closing is just where the documents are signed. Depending on the state, someone may very well need to deliver the physical documents to the clerk's office where they will then process it. This could take hours to weeks before the information is accessible online and is going to be state and county specific.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok. our association is looking at it because we think they might have bought it under the radar to try to rent it out (which they aren't allowed to do). thanks.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
In my city, the tax assessor’s website is the easiest place to check, but it can take weeks for the site to update with a sale.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

actionjackson posted:

is there a way to find out if a property has been sold if it wasn't MLS listed?

Depends on the state you live in, I think. I can look up property tax records online for pretty much any piece of real estate, and they include all transactions, including dates & prices. Everybody in Texas knows what everyone else’s house cost.

edit: aaaand beaten like a red-headed step-child.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

God dammit it's a year later and I'm still real bitter about my ex leaving me. My new problem is... I'm still going to change my name, but decided to go with Özymandias as my middle name, but now I'm worried I'm both appropriating Egyptian culture and making fun of it by adding a decorative umlaut. :sigh:

But that's not why I came here today.

Question: Do patriotic folks in other countries have the same reverence for the founders of their countries as conservatives in the US? I don't really see many examples of it. It seems like everyone in the world might know that George Washington was the first president of the United States but I don't think I could name a single first-leader from any other country.

Like there are people who will get in a fight with you if you have anything bad to say about Our Founding Fathers.

credburn fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 10, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

credburn posted:

Question: Do patriotic folks in other countries have the same reverence for the founders of their countries as conservatives in the US? I don't really see many examples of it. It seems like everyone in the world might know that George Washington was the first president of the United States but I don't think I could name a single first-leader from any other country.

I have literally no idea who you would even call the 'founding fathers' of Australia. Most people who know who the first PM was only know because of an ad talking about how no one knew who he was. The founding father worship is insanely alien.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

^^^ Gough Whitlam is the only politician who mattered and he was hosed over by the crown

Well, speaking as a Brit we don't really have founders. By the time the country of England, let alone Great Britain, came into being it was a hodgepodge of different people responsible. If anything the country as a whole worships the reigning monarch (although King Chucky 3 is definitely in the shadow of his late mother), but even that is pretty hollow. You're more likely to encounter an American outside Buckingham Palace who actually likes the monarchy, whereas most Brits are just there for the sightseeing.

Do not take the national pants-pissing over Liz's death as indicative of the average Brit's interest.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

God dammit it's a year later and I'm still real bitter about my ex leaving me. My new problem is... I'm still going to change my name, but decided to go with Özymandias as my middle name, but now I'm worried I'm both appropriating Egyptian culture and making fun of it by adding a decorative umlaut. :sigh:

But that's not why I came here today.

Like there are people who will get in a fight with you if you have anything bad to say about Our Founding Fathers.

There is some of this in Canada with Sir John A MacDonald but it's very subdued in comparison to the US. The cult of personality you folks have for the constitution and founding characters is probably unique outside of totalitarian countries.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

credburn posted:

Mao and Lenin
Ho Chi Minh in Vietnam.
Napoleon, Charles de Gaulle in France.
Willem van Oranje in the Netherlands.
Garibaldi in Italy, although that went a bit different.
Ataturk
Bolivar in Latin America

That's just off the top of my head in a few minutes, based on places I'm familiar with

I think of those examples, the reverence is less in the European countries, with less of a cult of personality (no public mausoleum for the embalmed body of Charles de Gaulle, I'm afraid) and in general, more room for critical views.

These happen to all be revolutionary leaders (De Gaulle is an edge case, but the war is enough upheaval to include it). I think polities that are born in revolution have an easier narrative. That's something you can teach in schools, where young kids need to be told 'X is the guy who created our country out of chaos and foreign oppression' instead of the nuance of centuries of developments.

So it'll be revolutionary leaders who are revered like this, whereas England has ??? Alfred of Wessex? Fictional King Arthur? The early middle ages are too dark and unclear a period, and even Alfred didn't unite the entire country yet. Cromwell could have been in this list had his Commonwealth prevailed and England remained a republic, but as it didn't, he's just a side track in a civil war, and ultimately a bad guy who kept the good royal family away from the throne for a while (in people's imaginations and the simplified mainstream narrative)

These guys are also all more recent than George Washington, although Bolivar and Napoleon are close, of course.
I'd say Ataturk is held in higher regard in Turkey than George Washington is in the US. I didn't see portraits of Washington in literally every museum (including non-art, non-history), train station, shopping mall and most coffee shops the last time I was in the US. In a few decades, everyone who lived in Ataturk's Turkey will be dead, so it'll be interesting to see if the characteristics people project onto Ataturk will change

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Atatürk I feel is someone whose legacy is being wiped out as we speak, given Erdogan's explicit repudiation of the secular republic that was intended.

That said, this is the small questions thread not the D&D thread for pointless geopolitical waxing lyrical so I will shut up and agree to disagree with anyone who points out I'm stupid and wrong.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

EricBauman posted:

whereas England has ???

Boudicca, maybe?

E: I think Chinggis Khan is pretty well revered in Mongolia.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tight aspirations posted:

Boudicca, maybe?

Speaking as someone who grew up in the part of the UK that desperately wanted to pretend we were part of Boudicca's reign: no.

Ask the average Brit on the street and they'll assume the name is a lingerie range.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

tight aspirations posted:

E: I think Chinggis Khan is pretty well revered in Mongolia.

A Mongolian immigrant told a buddy of mine that Khan is “our Washington.”

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

in Thailand they take respecting their monarchy very seriously.

anecdotally, I've seen plenty of framed portraits of the king in Thai restaurants in the United States.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Twenty years ago there was a TV series to determine "The Greatest Canadian", based on polls and stuff. Our founding father John A MacDonald came in 8th, beaten by Don Cherry, whose main accomplishments are wearing ridiculous suits, giving incomprehensible hockey commentary, and generally being lovely. So that's some indication of the opinion Canadians have of our founders.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

EricBauman posted:

whereas England has ??? Alfred of Wessex?

I've actually been curious about this, what is the British perception of Alfred of Wessex? He seems like the clearest and closest analogue to the American idealized founders. Does he get treated in any way like that in internal educational propaganda?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Trapick posted:

Twenty years ago there was a TV series to determine "The Greatest Canadian", based on polls and stuff. Our founding father John A MacDonald came in 8th, beaten by Don Cherry, whose main accomplishments are wearing ridiculous suits, giving incomprehensible hockey commentary, and generally being lovely. So that's some indication of the opinion Canadians have of our founders.

Who was the greatest Canadian?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

tuyop posted:

Raffi

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

tuyop posted:

Tommy Douglas, he was premier of Saskatchewan for a while and basically started Medicare (unofficial term for our universal single-payer healthcare system).

Also the maternal grandfather of Kiefer Sutherland, not sure how important that was in the voting.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Anyone dealing with acid reflux? I’m getting it at random and it’s driving me crazy, I’ve been trying to eliminate things from my diet one by one but am not having at luck.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

EricBauman posted:

Napoleon in France.

And Poland right? At least according to the national anthem.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I've got a check but it was made out to my cat by accident, I know I can cash checks for my dependents, but how do I prove the cat consents? I tried googling it but it brought up some very troubling results. The bank does allow pets though.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Extra row of tits posted:

Anyone dealing with acid reflux? I’m getting it at random and it’s driving me crazy, I’ve been trying to eliminate things from my diet one by one but am not having at luck.

Have you tried omeprazole? Prilosec. I started getting it (acid reflux) from I guess drinking too much coffee, but everything causes it and once it started for me, it seemed like there was no solution. But omeprazole is cheap, otc, and basically immediately solves the problem

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

litany of gulps posted:

Have you tried omeprazole? Prilosec. I started getting it (acid reflux) from I guess drinking too much coffee, but everything causes it and once it started for me, it seemed like there was no solution. But omeprazole is cheap, otc, and basically immediately solves the problem

When I had some acid reflux issues, my doctor gave me a prescription for omeprazole, and while it did work, the doc also noted that long-term use of proton pump inhibitors (which omeprazole is) is not ideal. In other words, it's preferable to fix the issue by adjusting your diet and lifestyle instead, if possible. I don't recall what the consequences were of long-term use. It's clearly something that plenty of people use on a regular basis, so it can't be that terrible. I just wouldn't leap to it as a first line of defense unless you're really having major issues.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

I've got a check but it was made out to my cat by accident, I know I can cash checks for my dependents, but how do I prove the cat consents? I tried googling it but it brought up some very troubling results. The bank does allow pets though.
The dirty secret about cheques is they are not looked at unless there's an amount mismatch between the legal line vs what's entered at the ATM and/or the payor says "hey that ain't right".

As long as whoever wrote the cheque intends for the money to go to you just deposit it in an ATM and you're fine.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When I had some acid reflux issues, my doctor gave me a prescription for omeprazole, and while it did work, the doc also noted that long-term use of proton pump inhibitors (which omeprazole is) is not ideal. In other words, it's preferable to fix the issue by adjusting your diet and lifestyle instead, if possible. I don't recall what the consequences were of long-term use. It's clearly something that plenty of people use on a regular basis, so it can't be that terrible. I just wouldn't leap to it as a first line of defense unless you're really having major issues.

Long term use of high dosage proton pump inhibitors can cause your stomach to flat out stop producing acid, whch isn't great, but other than that they're pretty safe. There's also some indicators that they promote Alzheimer's disease, but again, that's after like decades of regular use, you shouldn't be scared to try them because of that

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

I think the US is somewhat unique in terms of the founding. Most countries have a long history where countries were under lots of reigns for millenia.

The US had a clear beginning and the founders have reached a mythical status.

I live in Finland and we were tossed between Russian and Swedish empires for ages and only got our independence in 1917.

There are really not that much revered heroes. I think one person our chuds love is Mannerheim, who was a military leader in our civil war and WWII, but I don't think even they are that upset if you poo poo on him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustaf_Emil_Mannerheim

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nationalism in the USA is also cranked up a lot higher than a lot of other countries, which helps with the founder worship

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

litany of gulps posted:

I was on omeprazole years back when I had heartburn so bad I honestly thought I was dying, this time it’s no where near as bad. I do drink decafe coffee, but the drat reflux seems so random. Had it all day today, it’s just stopped now (just in time for bed)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a mesh sink strainer in my bathroom that's gotten kinda gunky. What's the simplest way to clean it up? Old toothbrush? Soak it in something?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

litany of gulps posted:

Have you tried omeprazole? Prilosec.

I’m not the OP. I’ve taken Omeprazole every day of my life for 10 years. I’m still amazed at how much of a lifestyle improvement that OTC drug has granted. I always know when I forget to take my meds: I get insane heartburn. Changes in diet did nothing for me; I just have a weak lower esophageal sphincter.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
There's also Famotidine/Pepcid which doesn't have the long-term dependency effects of prilosec. Might be worth starting with that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ras Het posted:

Long term use of high dosage proton pump inhibitors can cause your stomach to flat out stop producing acid, whch isn't great, but other than that they're pretty safe. There's also some indicators that they promote Alzheimer's disease, but again, that's after like decades of regular use, you shouldn't be scared to try them because of that

There are also some concerns that PPIs can cause you to lose bone density in the long term, but that's another thing to watch for rather to be very worried about.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

ultrafilter posted:

There are also some concerns that PPIs can cause you to lose bone density in the long term, but that's another thing to watch for rather to be very worried about.

I'd imagine that a lot of these things have to do with getting nutrients out of your food with stomach acid. Absorbing B12 is another issue. But yeah, these aren't issues if you take them for two weeks.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Back over the holidays, I was at a party and one of the other attendees mentioned a employment history monitoring website and I, for the life of me, cannot recall what the website is. As far as I know, it's basically like an Equifax, but for payroll history and potential employers can pay to pull up reports on past salaries at the like. Anyone got any ideas on what site I'm describing?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Does anyone know or have links to previous SA US Gun legislation rights threads? I realized many of them didn't go the right direction and were closed but I'd like to review those arguments.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Does anyone know or have links to previous SA US Gun legislation rights threads? I realized many of them didn't go the right direction and were closed but I'd like to review those arguments.

This sounds like a horrific idea. Why would you do this to yourself? Just make a new post in Debate & Discussion. Explain the circumstances requiring you to review the arguments. Ask the question that you clearly are actually intending to ask but for some reason don't ask here. The thread will rapidly degenerate into poo poo, but you will get people explaining in detail every aspect of the argument and its historical background. If it gets gassed or something, OK. The first few pages of posts will be genuinely informed and thoughtful statements about your question. Just don't read page 12 or whatever. Or, you know, ask your loving actual question here and skip that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

litany of gulps posted:

This sounds like a horrific idea. Why would you do this to yourself? Just make a new post in Debate & Discussion. Explain the circumstances requiring you to review the arguments. Ask the question that you clearly are actually intending to ask but for some reason don't ask here. The thread will rapidly degenerate into poo poo, but you will get people explaining in detail every aspect of the argument and its historical background. If it gets gassed or something, OK. The first few pages of posts will be genuinely informed and thoughtful statements about your question. Just don't read page 12 or whatever. Or, you know, ask your loving actual question here and skip that.

You realize you're basically saying "Why would you ever want to look at primary sources when you could ask hyper-partisans to get into a flame war over their own present-day interpretations of those events?"