Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

nonathlon posted:

Finally finished 1899 and have no idea what they would have done for the next two seasons. The story isn't finished, but it may as well be finished, there is as good a point as any.

It's interesting to wonder why Dark worked and why 1899, despite some good moments, didn't. Perhaps because while they both had lots of crazy, "what could this mean" moments, the former was better at convincing you there was a reason and eventually delivering it it, while the latter has a lot of Lost-like "this crazy thing just happened and, uh, anyway you won't believe what happened next".

Dark worked because the entire conceit is set around a very grounded german small town and you follow the citizens of the town closely they all act like real humans so you get invested. The entire setting is also integral to the plot and you spend every season exploring it further. Meanwhile, 1899 for some reason decided to make the entire cast not even speak the same language and everything you know about the cast is a lie (but not in a good way) so you can't even get invested in the setting. A big time switch up like 1899 does can work, but it feels like a waste in this instance (End Spoiler) because people probably signed up for it being on a weird old timey ship as that signals a certain aesthetic and vibe and going to space is completely different. They completely wasted a good setting for some dumb misdirect bs.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I thought the concept of having so many different languages and subsets of cultures on the ship was just so conspicuous that it was a massive clue towards that they were really on spaceship. It's a terribly unsubtle show.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

We don't actually know they're on a spaceship, we don't actually know even more than one of them exists. The entire show is based on the idea that anything can be just be a dream state. It's a dumb show because the premise means the writers can just nope out of anything that's happened previously at any time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ShoogaSlim posted:

also lol that precision got probed for making a dogshit post in gbs yet called out my title

It's interesting that you think it's an own on me to admit to looking up my post history/ rap sheet. Use your time better my friend

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

you were actively probed when i saw your comment. we're all here wasting our time on a dead forum bullshitting about esoteric crap lol relax mr cool

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The hatchet wielding hitchhiker doc on Netflix is nuts. I remember the viral video but I didn’t know there was more to it

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

ShoogaSlim posted:

you were actively probed when i saw your comment. we're all here wasting our time on a dead forum bullshitting about esoteric crap lol relax mr cool

Dead AND gay thank you very much

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
horror movies are the best

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
A few cast members did a thing to announce the return of From season 2 on April 23.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh yeah, the subtitles for Copenhagen Cowboy were dogshit.

Thread:

https://twitter.com/EmmaTolkin/status/1612238817028902912

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
what's a good documentary series to get into?

the hatchet hitckhiker thing sounds cool. i want some eerie poo poo. like Zodiac type poo poo. unsolved stuff.

maybe i'll watch that HBO doc on DB Cooper idk

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

watched banshees of inishirin. I really felt for Patrick's character. I know what it is to be dull and have friends break up with you. also, wow what a beautiful setting. and you head to the pub every day at 2pm. sign me up

queued up Toscana. so far its Chef but in danmark and also if jon favreau was an rear end in a top hat

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 11, 2023

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

what's a good documentary series to get into?

the hatchet hitckhiker thing sounds cool. i want some eerie poo poo. like Zodiac type poo poo. unsolved stuff.

maybe i'll watch that HBO doc on DB Cooper idk

Second this request. Definitely the mood I'm looking for.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
the reviews are coming in for HBO's adaptation of "the last of us" and they are actually pretty good so far.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

clean ayers act posted:

the reviews are coming in for HBO's adaptation of "the last of us" and they are actually pretty good so far.

It being good was never really in doubt; the question remains if there will be any point watching it if you've played the game. It looks like they're staying so faithful it'll be a big why bother

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

precision posted:

It being good was never really in doubt; the question remains if there will be any point watching it if you've played the game. It looks like they're staying so faithful it'll be a big why bother

i dunno, given the history of video game to film/tv adaptations i would not have been surprised if it was awful

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I watched the first seven episodes of Fleishman Is in Trouble last night and holy poo poo, that's the first time a tv show made me think "How am I supposed to go to work tomorrow and live my regular life after seeing that?"

I still did, though

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
has anyone seen that D.B. Cooper documentary on HBO? is it good or nah

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

precision posted:

Why watch any movie or show then? The majority are based off something where you know what happens already if you’ve read/player/heard the source material. Something can still be entertaining if you know what is going to happen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

precision posted:

So you wouldn't watch any movie that is based on a book if you already read the book? lol

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I finished The Menu, Netflix’s new film. I started the trailer and 10 seconds in knew what I was getting and enjoyed it! Also watched it in one sitting, which is more than I can say about Glass Onion.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I was thinking about replaying the game in anticipation for the show but Jesus Christ the remastered version is 90 Canuck bucks wtf.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

I finished The Menu, Netflix’s new film.
Are you quite sure about that?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

Apparently they've changed some things, and Melanie Lynsky is playing a major character who is not in the games. (I don't know, I thought the game was boring and gave up after 3 hours)

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
They also changed the vector from spores to tendrils

like why are you loving up the science, that was the coolest part

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nihonniboku posted:

Apparently they've changed some things, and Melanie Lynsky is playing a major character who is not in the games. (I don't know, I thought the game was boring and gave up after 3 hours)

I can see you thinking TLOU 2 kinda boring but 1 is a masterpiece.

CameronisGod
Dec 19, 2022

by Pragmatica
I watched The Kings of the World on Netflix which is Colombia's submission to the Oscars this year (rightfully snubbed without a single nomination).

It's a movie that truly doesn't deliver anything beyond the face value of what you'd expect from the film. The set up is that an older leader of a bunch of orphaned children living on the streets of a Medellin gets a title to a rural land farm previously owned by his grandmother returned to him by the government and he sets off with them to take back his land. The group proceeds to make the massive journey on bicycles and get their rear end handed to them over and over again by all the local drug lords and mafia leaders that live on the trail from Medellin to their promised farm land. The movie ends with everyone basically dying. The movie doesn't subvert any expectations, doesn't really say anything new about the situation in Colombia, and really seems to just infantilize the entire group of youth featured in the movie. They act dumber than you'd expect anyone living in their situation would act. They get victimized and abused repeatedly without seeming to learn a single lesson. There doesn't seem to be a motive or purpose to what they are doing beyond this dream that fails to make sense after you've been kidnapped, raped, and stolen from a couple of times while trying to make it.

Modern Colombian Cinema always veers towards the realistic artsy side of things. There are few films that come out of the country that don't focus on the Drug Trade/Drug Assassins/Pablo Escobar/Cartels/ and so on and so forth. The only film I can really think of that hasn't is 'Embrace of the Serpent', but you'd have to ignore the fact that every one of Ciro Guerra's other films has that focus. I fear the tendency to constantly cast locals as stupid and ignorant beings that are constantly victimized and infantilized by the big strong drug lords and realities of their life tends to carry this sense of social nihilism throughout the entire Colombian film industry. It feels like there's not a single other story being told of the country and that in and of itself feels like the exact opposite of this sense of realism their film industry should be going for. They're constantly trying to fly when they haven't even learned how to walk. This isn't Mexico that has a rich history of mainstream film production. The industry in Colombia is basically non-existent before the 1990s. Their industry should consider trying to make something that isn't an art film with a decent budget for once because I don't think they ever have.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Pale Blue Eye was fine. A little slow burn and it wrapped up quick but it was a pretty decent watch.

I'm losing my mind over The Last of Us reviews. Cannot wait until Sunday.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oh mate thanks for this; no one else had said anything and they're so so obnoxious. At one point the subtitles were insisting I was hearing [English] and it was blatantly just not.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Just to spread the love. RuPaul's Drag Race season 15 premiered on 15. The last few seasons they've included a talent show in the first episode, and one queen featured one of the best performances we've ever seen on the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shorts?NfEcIFvoGRA

Edit: in case that link doesn't work

https://mobile.twitter.com/agrandeneedy/status/1611559828970958854

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 11, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mcmagic posted:

So you wouldn't watch any movie that is based on a book if you already read the book? lol

Yes, I do in fact typically avoid adaptations of things that don't bring anything new.

In the case of a book, by definition a film or show brings something new: visuals

But in the case of TLOU, the game was already Hollywood movie quality both in audio and visuals, so unless the show makes some changes...

It's like that Gus Van Sant Psycho. He changed nothing, and as a result it was a pretty useless project

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I assume the Venn diagram of AAA game players and premiere TV watchers does not completely overlap.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

smackfu posted:

I assume the Venn diagram of AAA game players and premiere TV watchers does not completely overlap.

I dunno man, for fun I went over to TVIV and clicked a few random post histories and they're all in Video Games too! :D

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'm gonna watch tlou show cause it looks awesome and I never played the games

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

smackfu posted:

And that's fine! Guys I'm not saying TLOU looks bad or shouldn't exist! I'm only saying why I might not be super into it! Jeezzzz!!!!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been relying on youtube for free classics. Never saw The Hustler or the original Death on the Nile before. Both deffo hold up

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is it a zombie drama

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

mystes posted:

I think Dark always felt like you 90% knew what was going but then it just turned out that the remaining stuff was way more complicated than you would have thought, so it could have ended pretty satisfyingly at almost any point.

1899 was more frustrating because it feels like it's completely unclear what is going on and it might have been necessary to watch like 3 seasons for it to potentially make any sense.

Good comments from everyone. Yes, at it's most complicated Dark did feel like it was just outside your understanding and that if you just thought for a while longer, you'd get it. And as pointed out, the constrained setting and clear definition of the Big Plot Device mean that it's easier to grasp. But by the end of 1899, we knew (for sure) hardly anything anything and any explanation would have been possible.

On other releases, Athena made a few best of year lists but its certainly not for everyone. Technically and cinematography-wise it's brilliant (there's some amazing long no-cut sequences) but it's very much in the miserable French social drama vein, where everything is terrible and nothing can be done to solve it and after much action everything ends terribly. So, appetite for this will vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jerkface posted:

Meanwhile, 1899 for some reason decided to make the entire cast not even speak the same language

The creators have said that they used multiple languages as a deliberate thing that recognised the European experience, of commonly knowing and using multiple languages and encountering people who don't speak your language.

Which I get and it was different and a bit interesting. But it was such a ridiculous obstacle to the story where characters have to translate or struggle to understand each other. And very often they just handwave away with "you know, the Polish labourer and the Japanese Geisha just sense what the other is talking about, just intuitively" to work around it. It just didn't add anything to the story.