Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

lol @ removing the radar sensors that would have made accelerating into a loving wall not possible

someone painted a tunnel on the other side of the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

why did they need to be rescued??

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

knox_harrington posted:

someone painted a tunnel on the other side of the wall

unironically want to know if this would work

Hoshi posted:

probably couldn't get the doors open because the stupid electric latches broke

see also: drowning in your cybertruck because you can't break the window to get out

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

quiggy posted:

there's a twitch streamer who plays slay the spire and uploads his runs to youtube that i usually watch when falling asleep. like half his thumbnails reference poo poo in the game that don't even show up in that run :allears:

he's mentioned that he pays someone to run his youtube channel and other things for him. his manager knows how to game the youtube algorithm, so she arranged for a photographer to visit his house and take pics of him making silly faces in front of his streamer greenscreen. apparently that was the entire extent of his contribution to the thumbnails

it tickles me how VERY MISLEADING they are. you aren't getting a weird excited shoutyman at all! just extremely chill stream captures of a man with a soothing voice playing a solitaire card game

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

that dude's vocal fry is unreal and I can't listen to him because of it.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Hoshi posted:

escaping from a sinking car involves some un-intuitive things, and even if they had learned what to do at some point it's entirely likely someone would just freak out and panic instead of doing the right things

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

i watch mario maker 2 youtubers when i'm going to bed, most of their stuff is also edited content taken from twitch. not a bad idea to get revenue twice from the same work

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

note that in teslas you don't actually use the brake pedal.

they seem to do a pretty good job braking themselves, just in the passing lane causing a pile up.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Hoshi posted:

if I found Nfcknblvbl drowning in his tesla in my pool I'd rescue him. But I'd be giving him sooooo much poo poo about it afterwards.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

BobHoward posted:

he's mentioned that he pays someone to run his youtube channel and other things for him. his manager knows how to game the youtube algorithm, so she arranged for a photographer to visit his house and take pics of him making silly faces in front of his streamer greenscreen. apparently that was the entire extent of his contribution to the thumbnails

it tickles me how VERY MISLEADING they are. you aren't getting a weird excited shoutyman at all! just extremely chill stream captures of a man with a soothing voice playing a solitaire card game

incredible

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

don't worry, i'll be activating the lotus espirit submarine easter egg first

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'm not getting in the airplane of a private pilot unless they have an instrument rating

sometimes i watch blancolirio videos, if you're not familiar he mostly does stuff about GA accidents

in one he said he personally won't fly his small plane when there's any risk of IMC. he is very much instrument rated and current, as his real job is flying international routes in the boeing 777. he just feels that in GA you don't have the resources (instrumentation, copilots, procedures, ground support, etc) to make IMC safe to the standards he trains to

even instrument rated pilots can get disoriented by an unexpected transition, or having to make the transition while stressed by something else, or just by not being current enough. instrument flying is a perishable skill, you have to practice to maintain it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the instruments, gps, etc should feed into a copy of flight simulator. then when you can't see, you can just set the flight simulator to "good visibility" and use the game monitor instead of looking out the window.

patented 2023 achmed jones do not steal

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

akadajet posted:

if I found Nfcknblvbl drowning in his tesla in my pool I'd rescue him. But I'd be giving him sooooo much poo poo about it afterwards.

wow, nfcknblvbl sounds like someone drowning

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Achmed Jones posted:

the instruments, gps, etc should feed into a copy of flight simulator. then when you can't see, you can just set the flight simulator to "good visibility" and use the game monitor instead of looking out the window.

patented 2023 achmed jones do not steal

this feature exists and is called synthetic vision.

it looks like flight simulator 1984 but what are you gonna do.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
my desktop can't even run the current version of flight simulator lol, i wouldn't expect some embedded avionics thing to

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Tesseraction posted:

definitely trust this guy to get me to mars safely https://twitter.com/rust1n/status/1612685002424344576

HE DOESNT LOVE THE CAR!?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

BobHoward posted:

in one he said he personally won't fly his small plane when there's any risk of IMC.

yeah i do my best to keep clear of ian miles cheong

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/rust1n/status/1612914667395108865?s=20

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

see also: drowning in your cybertruck because you can't break the window to get out

they demonstrated on stage how fragile the windows are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqGf8pqCZi0

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

a couple months after receiving my new model 3, the trunk wouldn't shut unless i slammed it as hard as i could. glad i didn't have that guy's problem

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

akadajet posted:

this really shows how little elon knows even about his own products.

bulletproof glass is not a force field. it did exactly what bulletproof glass is supposed to do: shatter and dissipate the energy without letting the projectile through.

he didn't know this, the guy presenting didn't know this, and they had obviously never even tried it before

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
how did the car sink i thought teslas were also boats????

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
let that sink in! (to the bottom of the pool)

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

akadajet posted:

not as fragile as Musk's ego.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

my desktop can't even run the current version of flight simulator lol, i wouldn't expect some embedded avionics thing to

embedded avionics? have i got news for you friend, lots of synthetic vision users run it on ipads or iphones

you don't actually need or want realistic graphics like msft flight sim, so even iphone levels of gpu are way beyond requirements. you just want to make terrain and obstacles and runways clearly visible, and to display same from a location and perspective that's a very close approximation to physical reality (so you need good GPS and gyros and so forth)

sane people don't regard an ipad as something to rely on as their primary instrument panel, but i have heard of real life saves because the pilot had an ipad mounted to use as a ForeFlight navigation display and was able to use FF's synthetic vision as a backup when their normal avionics failed

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BobHoward posted:

embedded avionics? have i got news for you friend, lots of synthetic vision users run it on ipads or iphones

you don't actually need or want realistic graphics like msft flight sim, so even iphone levels of gpu are way beyond requirements. you just want to make terrain and obstacles and runways clearly visible, and to display same from a location and perspective that's a very close approximation to physical reality (so you need good GPS and gyros and so forth)

sane people don't regard an ipad as something to rely on as their primary instrument panel, but i have heard of real life saves because the pilot had an ipad mounted to use as a ForeFlight navigation display and was able to use FF's synthetic vision as a backup when their normal avionics failed

that's pretty cool, i don't know much about that kind of stuff because all of the pilots i know are *checks notes* in yospos lol

i don't doubt that a smartphone would be good enough, it seems to be more powerful than most custom avionics

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

this feature exists and is called synthetic vision.

it looks like flight simulator 1984 but what are you gonna do.

there go my millions :(

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

aw frig aw dang it posted:

escaping from a sinking car involves some un-intuitive things, and even if they had learned what to do at some point it's entirely likely someone would just freak out and panic instead of doing the right things

right. you basically can’t open the doors due to the pressure difference until the car fills with water. the best thing to do is open all the windows, let the water in, and then swim out of the windows. this is terrifying to do even when you’re rational.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
https://twitter.com/BigTechAlert/status/1613009312678297601

lol, lmao

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lol

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

he's moving on. healing

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
like he needs to publicly follow someone when he owns the site. I bet he’s constantly viewing her account from an administrative interface that’s showing everything she sees and does.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Tesseraction posted:

his morals might be questionable but his aims are good

lmao

not so fun fact, a family member of mine died in a prop plane crash in 2019. no one survived. the pilot was 20-something and the weather was good, and that’s all we know. she was on vacation.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 11, 2023

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

unironically want to know if this would work

someone posted video the other day of it thinking its reflection was another car, since it doesn't use lidar or anything, it probably would be fooled by a painted wall

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it almost certainly would. elon claimed that his weird hosed up robot was running the same software as the cars do and that very memorably tried to walk into a backdrop that had a bunch of repeating concentric circles

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i watch AOPA/air safety institute's videos, they do the whole plane crash investigation narration thing but for GA pilots. they also do videos where this guy who used to fly in the air force thunderbirds goes over crashes that have been in the news recently, and he knows a lot about flying air shows so when something happens at an air show he's got some real interesting insights, if you're into that

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

could you link the channel or whatever? that sounds cool

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

could you link the channel or whatever? that sounds cool

oh sure, here

https://www.youtube.com/@AirSafetyInstitute

kinda gotta dig around for the good stuff cuz they publish webinars and other general crap but yeah

here's the dude talkin' about the air show crash i mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rumZ1jc74f4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thanks!