Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.

floppyspud posted:

Yeah for killing groups of ships with equally applied dps (to get past the triglav spider tanking that they were designed for, eve lore nerds unite) they’re pretty unbeatable.

Maybe use a sabre to uncloak and bubble, then warp in a few skybreakers? But if it’s more than 1 venture/whatever the single sabre isn’t gonna be able to hold then down so idk.

One of the common applications is the “lightning rod” scenario where you drive something massively brick tanked into the middle of the enemy fleet and your edencom ships shoot that (Horde liked to use monitors). What you don’t want is think for yourselfers shooting at the Sabre that dove into your fleet with their zappy guns and electrocuting friendlies.

So you need very good fire control and good anti support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

learnincurve posted:

you would be astounded at how many people don't pay attention when mining, even in LS and WH, same as hacking the regular sites in SOE ships - which are a silly thing to be using when the Helios exists.

I do explo in a Cheetah so more about this Helios would be appreciated

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

DerekSmartymans posted:

I do explo in a Cheetah so more about this Helios would be appreciated

Basically ignore anything that says abandoned or forgotton because those sites want you dead. If you are paying attention to overview and D-scan in a cov ops then you won't ever die, the goal is to get in and out as fast as possible and fit for running away.

Sisters probe launcher, Cov ops cloak, interdiction nullifier
Scan rangefinding/pinpointing array II, Data/Relic Analyzer II, Afterburner/MWD
3 x i stab II

Small gravity capacitor upgrade II, small hyperspatial velocity optimizer II

2.88s allign time 144 scanner points.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
normal covops are cheaper and better at scanning so they're faster and faster = safer yeah. although even with bad skills, an Astero is tankier and has more dps to it's up to personal preference imo. i use a buzzard with full scan rigs and mods to scan our hole chain out fast, but asteros for looking for booster gas in kspace because i can use it to blap random explorers and ventures etc while I look

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh I'm opening up the WH map and have a really good idea of who is knocking about when I'm hacking so all I care about is speed so I can get in, hack, and then move out to the next hole. If I've got 100m in loot then it's time to stop hacking till I can unload. Sister's ships don't work for me only because they can't fit interdiction nullifier and I get bubbled twice a day. If I have one bit of advice for scanners it's that rigs and implants that improve warp speed are super cheap and massivly cut down mapping time, and with the scanner rig eating up so much it's a no brainer.

Without putting too much effort in I can get half a billion in hacking loot from the lower end WH sites and low sec in a mapping session which is a nice byproduct from my actual space job as an scanner.

Geese scanners get paid, because space communism. My helios is bright orange. Join goose. Honk.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

learnincurve posted:

Basically ignore anything that says abandoned or forgotton because those sites want you dead. If you are paying attention to overview and D-scan in a cov ops then you won't ever die, the goal is to get in and out as fast as possible and fit for running away.

Sisters probe launcher, Cov ops cloak, interdiction nullifier
Scan rangefinding/pinpointing array II, Data/Relic Analyzer II, Afterburner/MWD
3 x i stab II

Small gravity capacitor upgrade II, small hyperspatial velocity optimizer II

2.88s allign time 144 scanner points.

Thanks, much of that is what I already have from a gf forum thread…but I often run with my nullifier offline in sites to get my targeting range back. I don’t really understand how it works, anyway, as it’s actively clicked but doesn’t even last a whole “in-system” warp jump. I do have all the skills but pinpointing at V though.

Was the “Helios” comment meant as a better explo ship, or a “you will die to a hunting Helios 100% of the time” response? I wasn’t sure of the context because although I’ve been playing since April, I’ve trained 100% of that time in one character. Therefore my in game “skill” is higher than my “wtf am I doing” skill for irl time reasons. Still having lots of fun, though!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you'll only ever catch a covops when it's an AFK hacking Astero, you're running a perfect bubble camp with a ton of bumpers, or it's a brick tanked cyno lighter and it's actually catching you

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You turn the nullifier on when bubbled to cancel it out and flee - helios has 5 mid slots and enough lows to get out in under 3 seconds which is what you want if you are ignoring tank and going for time saving.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

learnincurve posted:

You turn the nullifier on when bubbled to cancel it out and flee.

Ok, cool…I never had reason to use it, but didn’t know the mechanics even though it’s been on my Cheetah since October. I only take it offline when on an actual grid with ruins/data to be hacked. Haven’t been bubbled in my CovOps ever anyway but I’m glad I asked.

I have an Astero, but I understand it’s more of a combat-oriented hacker, right? Would it be possible to fit a ship (Gnosis/Pacifier/Stratios/Praxis/other?) to actually run the scanned combat sigs? I’m pretty sure I’ve heard you can do it in a Stratios, which is a bit out of my price range atm, but I’m all ears for any ship fits/strategy links or video tutorials about combat-capable exploration!!! The dumber capsuleer it’s aimed at, the better! TIA, of course. :allears:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

DerekSmartymans posted:

Ok, cool…I never had reason to use it, but didn’t know the mechanics even though it’s been on my Cheetah since October. I only take it offline when on an actual grid with ruins/data to be hacked. Haven’t been bubbled in my CovOps ever anyway but I’m glad I asked.

I have an Astero, but I understand it’s more of a combat-oriented hacker, right? Would it be possible to fit a ship (Gnosis/Pacifier/Stratios/Praxis/other?) to actually run the scanned combat sigs? I’m pretty sure I’ve heard you can do it in a Stratios, which is a bit out of my price range atm, but I’m all ears for any ship fits/strategy links or video tutorials about combat-capable exploration!!! The dumber capsuleer it’s aimed at, the better! TIA, of course. :allears:

The trick to know is that EVE calculates whether or not you're going to hit a bubble based on whether it's in your desired warp vector at the time that you hit the warp button. So if you hit your nullifier, then immediately hit warp, you won't end up in a bubble.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
an Astero is a combat ship but it's certainly still a t1 frigate in capability. the unfortunate truth of exploring is unless you're in a stratios with like 2 or 3 separate fittings to swap around, you're gonna need to reship after scanning

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Larry Parrish posted:

an Astero is a combat ship but it's certainly still a t1 frigate in capability. the unfortunate truth of exploring is unless you're in a stratios with like 2 or 3 separate fittings to swap around, you're gonna need to reship after scanning

and that need to refit is why the Stratios has a 500m3 cargohold. Can of fittings + depot + space for lewt

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kazinsal posted:

The trick to know is that EVE calculates whether or not you're going to hit a bubble based on whether it's in your desired warp vector at the time that you hit the warp button. So if you hit your nullifier, then immediately hit warp, you won't end up in a bubble.

So like, I need to hit the nullifier before I warp…does this stop the so-called “drag bubbles” in the middle of your in-system route? Or is this only for like coming out of gate-cloak into a bubble? Like I said, I’ve been bubbled before, but only in a Slasher or interceptor and always just mwd’d out/was in a fleet. Sounds like I’ve just been lucky so far.

Edit:

dragonshardz posted:

and that need to refit is why the Stratios has a 500m3 cargohold. Can of fittings + depot + space for lewt

Yeah, I have a Gnosis I’ve tried to set up, but the fitting is a pain in the rear end and I don’t think the hull is good for much besides tanking three Ghost Site blasts. I think it would survive an alpha from a band of pirate-responders, and mjd away pretty quickly (4-sec align). But I see others say a Stratios “kit” as the way to do it all, which is what I really want to try. Just seems fun to me!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 10, 2023

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I believe Stratios shield tanking sites is a thing but I haven't tried it myself. Or even seen a ghost site.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

DerekSmartymans posted:

So like, I need to hit the nullifier before I warp…does this stop the so-called “drag bubbles” in the middle of your in-system route? Or is this only for like coming out of gate-cloak into a bubble? Like I said, I’ve been bubbled before, but only in a Slasher or interceptor and always just mwd’d out/was in a fleet. Sounds like I’ve just been lucky so far.

Yeah, as long as you're nullified before you hit warp any bubbles between your current position and your destination are ignored.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Larry Parrish posted:

I believe Stratios shield tanking sites is a thing but I haven't tried it myself. Or even seen a ghost site.

I’ve seen two since October; didn’t get blown up or dropped on, but I didn’t have a cargo scanner and only hacked the closest can before getting out. Unless they just weren’t Ghost Sites at all and I misinterpreted the Eve-U page on “site safety” or whatever. If I’m right, both hacks took >30 seconds, too, with Hacking V/Data Analyzer IIs.

Delve/Querious, I believe.

Edit:

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, as long as you're nullified before you hit warp any bubbles between your current position and your destination are ignored.

Cool tip, appreciate it!

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism
I use a Zeugma's + Blackglass on my buzzard and ninja run covert sites. So I run regular data + relic + coverts without having to refit or carry a mobile depot and hacking modules now only occupy one slot. Having run hundreds of covert sites over the past 18 months, they're just not valuable enough for me to go get a specialized ship and fly it back to run them. Just hack the cans very quickly and don't make any mistakes.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Sorry but Astero is king-poo poo on the explorer pile. My ~160m fit lets me do relic, data, covert, and all three sleeper cache sites. I believe it's some of the best money in the game if you know what you are doing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
counterpoint

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

learnincurve posted:

counterpoint

I don't see how this picture of Octodad is relevant.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Big McHuge posted:

Sorry but Astero is king-poo poo on the explorer pile. My ~160m fit lets me do relic, data, covert, and all three sleeper cache sites. I believe it's some of the best money in the game if you know what you are doing.

I would be extremely interested in learning what I am doing! Do you actually fight off/kite Sleepers, or just hack a couple cans and warp off? The Ghost Sites? I know my Cheetah can’t tank the explosion on a failure, so I assume a 160m fit Astero/skills can? I can actually afford that, as the person who gifted mre the Gnosis gave me an Astero hull that I’m not sure what to do with.

As far as the integrated analyzers, though, I really, really like the bump in coherence/virus strength from the Analyzer IIs, though. Make up for a couple of mistakes while hacking in null/WH space…we’ll worth the training days!

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Let's see that astero take down a Medusa or hydra inty

Billy BobJ
Jul 13, 2022

DerekSmartymans posted:

I would be extremely interested in learning what I am doing! Do you actually fight off/kite Sleepers, or just hack a couple cans and warp off? The Ghost Sites? I know my Cheetah can’t tank the explosion on a failure, so I assume a 160m fit Astero/skills can? I can actually afford that, as the person who gifted mre the Gnosis gave me an Astero hull that I’m not sure what to do with.

As far as the integrated analyzers, though, I really, really like the bump in coherence/virus strength from the Analyzer IIs, though. Make up for a couple of mistakes while hacking in null/WH space…we’ll worth the training days!

don't fight the sleepers you will die. hack what you can and then warp off

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Billy BobJ posted:

don't fight the sleepers you will die. hack what you can and then warp off

Ok, that makes me feel better…that was my process before asking anyway. Am I right that you can get two cans before they drop on grid?

Having a lot of fun huffing gas with my alt, btw…I’ve done three Cobra Nebulas that popped up in Delve in the last two nights and since E-Uni said there were no pirate spawns I got all of all three in a Gas Harvesting V Venture. That stuff sells well in 1DQ, too, so that was a nice bonus!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the glorious advantage of being a geese we don't have to ninja drifter sigs because we can just reship

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Ok, that makes me feel better…that was my process before asking anyway. Am I right that you can get two cans before they drop on grid?

Having a lot of fun huffing gas with my alt, btw…I’ve done three Cobra Nebulas that popped up in Delve in the last two nights and since E-Uni said there were no pirate spawns I got all of all three in a Gas Harvesting V Venture. That stuff sells well in 1DQ, too, so that was a nice bonus!

gas harvesting only increases the number of scoops you can put on a ship. no reason to have it trained past 2 if youre using frigs lol

wh gas harvesting is some of the best isk:effort in the game and required very little sp investment and i love it.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yeah analyzer 2's are must for me. The Astero will explode to a can fail in a covert site, but you shouldn't be failing those since they are green/yellow hacks. I warp to the center cloaked, uncloak and start approaching the oddly named can. While on approach I cargo scan all the cans and change course if necessary. I hack one and leave. Getting greedy is how you get dead. I've had a couple 500m isk cans in nullsec, but that's not the norm. I'd say average is probably 50m or so. Magpie BPC and high-grade Epsilon BPC are the two you are looking for in nullsec.

For the sleeper cache sites, those don't have standard rats. They are like Indiana Jones style sites with gates, alarms, secret rooms, traps, etc. The EVEUni wiki has decent guides on them (they're only found in low/null). Loot is the sleeper blue loot that NPCs have buy orders for, Polarized Weapon BPCs (really only the torpedo launcher one is worth anything) and storyline BPCs which can sometimes be worth quite a bit.

Elusif II
Jul 13, 2022

I'm Gary
CCP broke search again. EVE Online.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

grumplestiltzkin posted:

gas harvesting only increases the number of scoops you can put on a ship. no reason to have it trained past 2 if youre using frigs

I trained up a cyno alt (who’s training ‘dictors now) and in between Caldari cyno finishing and starting ‘dictors, I trained a bunch of mining stuff because my main has no mining chops at all…I spent a couple hundred thousand of free winter event skill points just because ninja/jedi huffing sounded fun and exciting to me and he could do it solo. I think he might be able to use one of the bigger ORE ships by now (Prospect, i think?).

I was training and just threw some skills on there to not “waste” Omega training cycles. The gas-mining was just bonus for a nebulous “mining alt” along with ice mining skills. He is still in the Venture he took from Empire slow boating to Delve, but refit in 1DQ for gas scooping. I am currently itching to try ice mining with him while my main account takes care of pirates with a bigger ship. Once I get a better internet connection (I play Eve on 4G internet) in late January/early February I hope to be able to log in both accounts together like I used to with EverQuest and WoW.

After ‘dictors, he’s moving to doctrine Logi, mainly because I always enjoyed DPS + dedicated Healer in other MMOs. I don’t know if that even works in Eve Online, but I also don’t plan on dual boxing in fleets for a long time (if ever) as I’m still learning the intricacies of systems/mechanics. In my experience dual-boxing always benefits later from “leveling up” both accounts ASAP so you can take advantage of all of their capabilities once you figure out what you want to do, no matter the game! I am already enjoying the added PI planets, though, I’ll admit. I’m having more fun both solo and in group content than I have had in years! Finally, even with two Omega accounts I am saving money by stopping playing/paying for other MMOs or battle passes in other AAA games. I’m still angry I didn’t try this game until 2022, but hopefully they can sustain (or grow!) the game with Uprising and the roadmap I read this very morning. Looks like a good plan, especially if the players are enjoying it at any rate. 🤗

Edit:

Big McHuge posted:

Yeah analyzer 2's are must for me. The Astero will explode to a can fail in a covert site, but you shouldn't be failing those since they are green/yellow hacks. I warp to the center cloaked, uncloak and start approaching the oddly named can. While on approach I cargo scan all the cans and change course if necessary. I hack one and leave. Getting greedy is how you get dead. I've had a couple 500m isk cans in nullsec, but that's not the norm. I'd say average is probably 50m or so. Magpie BPC and high-grade Epsilon BPC are the two you are looking for in nullsec.

For the sleeper cache sites, those don't have standard rats. They are like Indiana Jones style sites with gates, alarms, secret rooms, traps, etc. The EVEUni wiki has decent guides on them (they're only found in low/null). Loot is the sleeper blue loot that NPCs have buy orders for, Polarized Weapon BPCs (really only the torpedo launcher one is worth anything) and storyline BPCs which can sometimes be worth quite a bit.

Great tips! Thank you, I may have to fit my Astero and try it out; any frig is going to die from Ghost Site fails-I’ve seen numbers floated from 6k-11k explosion damage dealt! But like you said, the web says Ghost Sites are easy as gently caress hacking. Do you think it would be possible with fits/skills on call to dual-box the Sleeper/Pirate spawns? Might be worth looking into, but I’ve also seen somewhere that some spawns are appropriate to tonnage on grid!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 10, 2023

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well gas harvesting higher than 2 can get your T2s, which are useless when syndies exist, so,

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I t2 Jedi huff so that when I gently caress up I don’t lose much

not trying to bling out my huffer

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kaysette posted:

Somebody linked me a guide to Jedi huffing on the official Eve forums, and it said the actual gas-scooping that earned the name just doesn’t work in a venture anyway…it can’t move fast enough to perform said huffing safely.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats why you use a prospect op

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Larry Parrish posted:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Larry Parrish posted:

That's what the guide said, too. You can get most of the gasses in a Venture, but it's simply undoable in a certain gas pocket inside WH space. You have to use a Prospect.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Kaysette posted:

Just stay more than 125km away from instrumental rats and they will never hit you. When jedi-ing those i set up perches 160km+ from the edge of the cloud above, below, towards and away from the sun so that there's good warpins for others to join or for me to get back into it after dropping off gas. If you can maintain 2700m/s cap stable they'll never get within range of you.

My current set of syndis has huffed close to, if not over, 10b at this point and it's made me so lazy that I've stopped checking dscan because lol so what if I lose em:homebrew:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Anyone here wanna come help us stomp some chinese renters in Providence? We accidentally a sov in Goosefleet and now it's funny if we hold on to it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

corgski posted:

Anyone here wanna come help us stomp some chinese renters in Providence? We accidentally a sov in Goosefleet and now it's funny if we hold on to it.

Read the first sentence, thought this was the most racist post about Rhode Island in SA history.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

didn't know marky mark played eve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

corgski posted:

4 days, the dude forgot to install sov for 4 days after someone else cleared out the system, allowing larry to stumble into it, and then had the balls to be outraged about it.

Honking at these chucklefucks in local is encoraged.