Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

The Bee posted:

Honestly, if it was gonna be anyone, it was probably gonna be KP.

I doubt it'll come through. It's not like Fantasy Heartbreakers are going to stop being a thing, and in order to fill the niche left by D&D they'd have to license it under the old OGL or equivalent. So their income would be low - and unlike WotC they don't have Magic to fall back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There already is a functional off-brand 5e clone - Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition. They're planning on retooling it to not use OGL.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

hyphz posted:

I doubt it'll come through. It's not like Fantasy Heartbreakers are going to stop being a thing, and in order to fill the niche left by D&D they'd have to license it under the old OGL or equivalent. So their income would be low - and unlike WotC they don't have Magic to fall back on.

"available, open, and subscription-free for those who love it" sounds pretty open.

Kobold has always made their money by releasing really good books and adventures. If the amount of effort to port Black Flag to OneD&D is close to zero (I'll wager a donut it is), then I suspect they'll do fine.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Megazver posted:

There already is a functional off-brand 5e clone - Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition. They're planning on retooling it to not use OGL.

It's in no better a position than Pathfinder 2e - arguably worse, since PF2e never tried to directly associate itself with 5e. A lot depends on how far WotC can push the definition of "derivative work."

WOIN, unfortunately, is pretty terrible and stillbirthed out of its Kickstarter. The only game I think they made based on it was the EN World version of Judge Dredd and that also stillbirthed and managed to have bits of the WOIN rules missing.

Honestly, whether or not this was an intentional part of the design, WotC managed to target the actual biggest problem with any RPG system: cat herding. By making the system fairly generic, it became a system that isn't perfect for anyone, but that very few people will refuse to play - and it turns out that's a better bet for group activities. Beyond that, pushing the marketing hard is potentially more valuable than releasing more books.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Its absolutely intentional, especially if that lets you herd those cats onto an all new, more heavily monetized proprietary vtt system.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hyphz is talking about one of his pet complaints, the difficulty of getting his player group to agree on any game other than D&D. The D20 system and SRDs OGLs etc. let "we only will play D&D" groups get herded into playing other games or at least other genres/settings because they already know the underlying system.

The risk Wizards is taking if they alienate 3rd party sellers from using D&D's core systems in their games, is that it becomes harder for players to say to their GM "let's just play D20 Modern instead of this Cold Shadows game you want to play" if there is no D20 modern any more... and that could in theory lead to more players willingly taking the irreversible step of trying out actual other game systems and discovering they're better.

The reward, though, is as you say: Wizards is thinking they'll make more money, and probably also has been thinking that 3rd parties would continue to publish under a more strict license regime.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah WOIN is unfortunately pretty dogshit.

I have no opinion on Advanced 5e but if they can make it work, more power to them.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

I have no opinion on Advanced 5e but if they can make it work, more power to them.

I haven't read/played it myself, but I read a Let's Read thread about it and it seemed decent.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I don't what the Savage Universe entails, but I assume it's in response to OGL 1.1.

http://savageuniverse.com/

Pinnacle Entertainment Group posted:

Savage Universe is THE place to find out about all of Pinnacle’s partners, including Aces, the Savage Worlds Adventure Guild, Translators, the Media Network, and even fans! We’ll showcase our partners’ excellent works, point you to Actual Plays, put all the various licensing information in one easy to find place, and so much more!

Check back soon for more!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

https://twitter.com/DnDBeyond/status/1612871896759926784

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I read this as "Sharing more [questions]" and that's probably not wrong.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also thank you for your patience, which you are not being. Be patient is what we mean. But thank you if you do that, which you aren't. Yet. So actually no thanks. We are not thanking you, until you are patient, which is a presumed false premise of this statement, to highlight subtly that we think you're being really impatient right now, and should stop.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Leperflesh posted:

Also thank you for your patience, which you are not being. Be patient is what we mean. But thank you if you do that, which you aren't. Yet. So actually no thanks. We are not thanking you, until you are patient, which is a presumed false premise of this statement, to highlight subtly that we think you're being really impatient right now, and should stop.

It's probably not really that deep lol, thank you for your patience is like common parlance everywhere whenever you need to delay or have people wait on something.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Or possibly just D&D Beyond posting about how it'll affect their platform, which would be hilarious.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dexo posted:

It's probably not really that deep lol, thank you for your patience is like common parlance everywhere whenever you need to delay or have people wait on something.

Oh I know it's depressingly common. I find it passive-aggressive language when other people use it too.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Thank you for your patience just means, "Please stop screaming at us until we can figure out what we intend to say."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Or possibly just D&D Beyond posting about how it'll affect their platform, which would be hilarious.
"We bargained WotC down to 19% for anything sold through our new platform! That is all please leave."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Oh I know it's depressingly common. I find it passive-aggressive language when other people use it too.

the more charitable inference generally is that the impatience expressed is a fraction of the total possible impatience, and you are expressing gratitude for that

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The Wizards_DND account retweeted it, so if it ends up being this that's extra spicy.

(Wouldn't rule out the same intern being responsible for both accounts and posting on the D&DB one by mistake.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

homullus posted:

the more charitable inference generally is that the impatience expressed is a fraction of the total possible impatience, and you are expressing gratitude for that

Yeah that's more charitable.

I'm not inclined towards charity for these guys, and more generally I think it's classier to ask for patience, than presume it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

homullus posted:

That's how I usually see it used yeah. "You have showed admirable restraint by directing your many justly deserved blows entirely away from my face and genitals, and I appreciate that"

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The fact that they said questions instead of concerns means they either intend to walk this back and pretend it's all a big misunderstanding, or just brazenly lie through the storm and implement it anyway.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

sweet geek swag posted:

The fact that they said questions instead of concerns means they either intend to walk this back and pretend it's all a big misunderstanding, or just brazenly lie through the storm and implement it anyway.

My money is on the latter, but hey, I’ve been surprised before.

Wondering if maybe someone able to push back a little against the moneybros given that the MtG 30 year anniversary set was met with a LOT of anger and now this.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Saxophone posted:

My money is on the latter, but hey, I’ve been surprised before.

Wondering if maybe someone able to push back a little against the moneybros given that the MtG 30 year anniversary set was met with a LOT of anger and now this.

With MTG I am sure they would have a hard time showing data that this isn't making money for them however I am sure there is actual data for DND 4E's GSL costing them money and some one can show them internally that this would have a financial impact. The question is did they do that math already and decided that it was worth the hit with how much money they are forecasting they will make.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Comment by Winninger

https://twitter.com/WinningerR/status/1612981737352724482

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Speaking as someone living in America who has paid attention to capitalists and their doings:

The entire community saying "this is bad" can only be read as sour grapes that the gravy train is ending. Full steam ahead!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

moths posted:

Speaking as someone living in America who has paid attention to capitalists and their doings:

The entire community saying "this is bad" can only be read as sour grapes that the gravy train is ending. Full steam ahead!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Nuns with Guns posted:

The cRPGs that use 3e or 5e rules more than likely have their own very clear and private licensing agreements that include the rulesets of the games they're lifting from, and therefore aren't going to be impacted by this. Just like the agreement that was noted for the Star Wars d20 rules that were used in KOTOR.

Are you intending to publish a very "D&D with the numbers filed off" OGL game? A 3e/5e splatbook? Or were you just planning to use the OGL and generic terminology from the SRD rules? I'm not a lawyer, and you might want to have one look over this after WotC formally releases the OGL revisions and companies with actual published OGL content respond to it. Still, if your d20-derived system is distinct enough or only borrows generic rules, it's not technically something that can be blocked by a WotC copyright. It's too early to say if WotC would still get aggressively litigious or try to test that boundary though.

Something closest to the first option, yeah. But I will just look into other systems I guess if something happens, although I suspect you're right, and I still suspect that this wont fly in courts. Thanks.

As for CRPG stuff - yeah, I was thinking of like the Pathfinder games, Low Magic Age, and yeah, KOTOR, Neverwinter Nights, and I think Icewind Dale 2?

EDIT: And yeah, honestly, my system was funny enough something closer to PF2E than regular 3.X D20. Kind of convergent evolution or whatever. Just basically a bunch of house rules picked up over the years that a year or two back I decided 'gently caress it' and started collating, cleaning up, and 'gently caress it may as well change some other major stuff while I'm at it' and then 'ehh gently caress it, I can maybe publish this for some extra dough' and welp.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 11, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wishing all the best for the cool goon who made For Gold & Glory

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Is Kobold Press Wolfgang Bauer’s company?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Nystral posted:

Is Kobold Press Wolfgang Bauer’s company?

Yes.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wishing all the best for the cool goon who made For Gold & Glory

That's the 2e retroclone, iirc.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The EFF has arrived.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2023/01/beware-gifts-dragons-how-dds-open-gaming-license-may-have-become-trap-creators

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

They touch on, what I think, is a big component of the OGL 1.1, and that's the revocation of 1.0a. I've read arguments that "perpetual" doesn't mean irrevocable, and I've read counterarguments about "perpetual" usually isn't revoked by courts if both parties are still getting something out of it, yada yada yada. But that means someone has to fight that fight (potentially at great expense).

This video goes hard on rationalizing that 1.0a can't be revoked. I just don't think it matters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDuHjpwx5Q4

I think either way, this just sucks for everyone. WotC is taking their ball and going home because they're tired of everyone else getting a chance to bat while they're stuck as forever-pitcher. Meanwhile, we gotta go home and get our own balls if we want to keep playing, but Billy only has busted whiffle balls and Tommy only has a softball. It's all about balls.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Finster Dexter posted:

They touch on, what I think, is a big component of the OGL 1.1, and that's the revocation of 1.0a. I've read arguments that "perpetual" doesn't mean irrevocable, and I've read counterarguments about "perpetual" usually isn't revoked by courts if both parties are still getting something out of it, yada yada yada. But that means someone has to fight that fight (potentially at great expense).

This video goes hard on rationalizing that 1.0a can't be revoked. I just don't think it matters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDuHjpwx5Q4

I think either way, this just sucks for everyone. WotC is taking their ball and going home because they're tired of everyone else getting a chance to bat while they're stuck as forever-pitcher. Meanwhile, we gotta go home and get our own balls if we want to keep playing, but Billy only has busted whiffle balls and Tommy only has a softball. It's all about balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEDHk_VcoiY

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

I'd argue we still have the same ball we just can't call it the Happy Fun Ball, have it associated with Happy Fun Ball Ltd., or name the carcinogenic side effect of playing with Happy Fun Ball "The Happy Effect".

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 11, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Do not sublicense Happy Fun Ball.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Panzeh posted:

GURPS is good it's just a lot of filing down to get to the game you want and imo DFRPG isn't filed down enough- the full gurps tactical combat just isn't right for the vibe they're going for.

Which is kinda why i'm working out a way to do it faster.

I liked DFRPG and have run a good campaign with it, you just have to *nope* out some of the more egregious crunch and it's fine. At the end of the day it's just a 'Roll 3d6 under your target number' system.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/CHofferCBus/status/1612961049912971264?s=20&t=H1F2sD7a6mJgEuZG9jBeOg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
cinematic and tactical? :ok: