Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've met a bunch of people who "used to play magic" and very often it's that level of engagement or they had a brother or friend or ex or someone who played it and they tried it at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
The big announcement is going to be the opening of Magicworld, a tournament theme park where every guest is a magic player and you can challenge anyone to a sanctioned duel on the spot with the grand prize of the year long battle royale being a box of 30th Anniversary Edition.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

The Saddest Robot posted:

The big announcement is going to be the opening of Magicworld, a tournament theme park where every guest is a magic player and you can challenge anyone to a sanctioned duel on the spot with the grand prize of the year long battle royale being a box of 30th Anniversary Edition.

Unironically though that would own. Magic deserves its own version of Duelist Kingdom, complete with making up rules on the spot.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Cactrot posted:

What smells even more like a bullshit stat is "75% of players don't know what a Planeswalker is". It tells me that their definition of casual magic players includes everyone who has ever touched or seen magic card since 1994.

83% of players have never seen a real or digital magic card

91% of players can name one or fewer colours of mana

96% of players have only played magic in a dream

99.99% of players can cast real spells and only look at the cards for inspiration

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I’d be surprised if a majority of magic players have even stepped into an LGS tbh. People buy cards at Walmart all the time

Somberbrero posted:

imo enfranchised magic players don't really spend that much on sealed product. People who 'have a buddy with some cards' buy sealed product. I would be curious to know how many booster boxes the average person reading this thread bought last year? I bought 4 but I worked at a game store for most of that time.

I can’t even remember the last time I bought a box. Conflux maybe? But every time I stop into my LGS to look at board games I usually get a booster of whatever is current (and tbh sometimes a collectors booster if they have them) since they’re cool folks but never for the cards themselves really

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 11, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Hoping they create a new card type origami that only gain abilities when folded correctly. You want your origami creature to fly? Better practice making swans bitches

Chaos orb errat'd to have the new origami type.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A person who picked up some magic cards at walmart on a lark and played three times then stuck them in a closet for years isn't a magic player imo

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
It doesn't matter if you buy sealed product or you don't. Those singles came from sealed product and you are contributing to the purchase of sealed product. And I am looking at the product that was made in 2022, like hte entire list, and I am thinking "how much of this product is targeting people who don't play formats?". Seems not very much of it.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 11, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Do you think that a product being standard-legal means that it's only targeted at standard players or something?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Cactrot posted:

What smells even more like a bullshit stat is "75% of players don't know what a Planeswalker is". It tells me that their definition of casual magic players includes everyone who has ever touched or seen magic card since 1994.

It's dubious because it depends on the exact threshold they're using to measure whether someone "knows what something is".

Format: Heard of it? Know the rules? Have a deck? Played it casually? Played it at a game store? Know the meta? Could describe it to someone else?
Planeswalker: Heard the word? Know a character who is a planeswalker? Know it's a card type? Know the rules about it and can interpret the card? Seen one played? Played one themselves? Know the lore?

It's not too different from those stats like "one in seven adults in the U.S. is functionally illiterate". The reality* is a lot more complex and a lot of people skip over what exactly is being measured, what the thresholds of literacy are, and what that information might end up actually meaning to society as a whole.

In the same way, in order to for the statement "75% of people don't know what a planeswalker is" to mean anything useful at all we have to know some specific information that is withheld from the reader like how are you measuring that, how are you gathering that data, is it self reported, is it a twitter poll or something more rigorous, whats your sample size, etc.

*What's often being referenced in studies about adult illiteracy is functional illiteracy. People may hear the term "functionally illiterate" and picture an otherwise average person that they might run into on the street who can't read or write any words at all like some kind of cartoonish medieval peasant. But "Functionally illiterate" isn't just a turn of phrase, it has a fairly specific meaning. It's being used to describe a particular range of literacy, it's not just editorializing.

It defines level of literacy that allows the person to be functional* in society, meaning they can read short text and have a decent vocabulary in the dominant language, English in the case of the U.S., but they're not really able engage with more complex or advanced or technical writing without more education. Think "functional" as in "functional alcoholic" rather than "functionally useless". They're getting by, but they're not literate to the level that they can self-actualize based on that literacy.

When this is measured in the U.S., it's often measured as English literacy specifically, not any language, so it doesn't just cover people born in the US in english-speaking households, it covers all adults. Anyone who comes from a multilingual household or learned English as a second language in school or as an adult. So "one in seven adults is functionally illiterate" means something much more complex than "one in seven adults in the U.S. is a dirt farmer from the times of Charlemagne who thinks the funny symbols on the books are from the devil." It's important to differentiate between a sample of individuals being measured specifically on their literacy in the dominant language of the society vs one measured on their literacy in any language.

So that definition is not necessarily common knowledge, but unfortunately it can be counterintuitive because "functional" can be a little murky. It's not as bad as "deceptively" but it can modify other words in a few different ways depending on its context, such as:

1 - An adjective to mean simply that something can perform a specific operation. Sometimes used to contrast with circumstances that might make someone expect that it would not be able to do so. "I found a functional Sony TC-KA1ESA in that storage unit even with all the water damage!"
2 - An adjective to mean something is of low to middling quality, serviceable, or basic. "I don't like the way you solved this problem, but I suppose the solution is functional".
3 - An adverb in the form of functionally, to mean the actual or tangible results or interpretation of something, the "real world" application, contrasting with the theoretical or "on paper" version. Often used in phrases like "functionally useless" or "functionally obsolete". "It's a good design but it's functionally worthless to us because we don't have the resources to build it."

Some people see "functionally illiterate" and parse it as "does not even know the alphabet" instead of "can read enough, in English specifically, to get by, but not much else". It's still certainly something worth paying attention to as a society, but there's a big difference between "1 in 7 people do not know how to read anything at all" and the reality of adult english literacy in the U.S.

Anyways this is not to defend the U.S.'s generally abyssmal education system, and it's not a strict condemnation of casual use of statistics, it's just a very specific combination of things that I have a bug up my rear end about.

fake edit wow this got long

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Khanstant posted:

I've met a bunch of people who "used to play magic" and very often it's that level of engagement or they had a brother or friend or ex or someone who played it and they tried it at some point

I know a lot of people who "used to play Magic". Very few of them knew there are tournaments at all, and of those people--who weren't themselves actively tournament players--many of them had that story of that one time they went to FNM to see what it was all about, played against that one guy that deked them with superior rules knowledge (scooping, bad faith timing rules, played more than one counterspell, whatever), and they gave up playing on the spot.

Like, I assume most people play Magic like Monopoly: they don't actually know the rules as written, and when you inform them that you don't actually get anything for landing on Free Parking, they just stop playing. (This is not a judgement, but an observation/assumption.)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Format: Heard of it? Know the rules? Have a deck? Played it casually? Played it at a game store? Know the meta? Could describe it to someone else?

I think you're misunderstanding "knows what a format is." It doesn't mean "knows what Modern or Pioneer or Commander is" it means "knows that there are different ways to play magic in the first place." And when you consider the much more concrete stat of "only 10% of magic players have ever been to a sanctioned event" that's really not so unbelievable. (In fact in the original MaRo posting of the quote this is extremely clear, it's actually "don’t know what a format is (let alone know of any particular format)")

Yes you can still quibble over what counts as a player and I'll admit I'm personally curious about what exactly they mean by "don't know what a planeswalker is" but even so, in comparison to the other stats, even that one sounds pretty reliable and I don't see any reason to believe they're playing silly games with the definition in order to come up with that stat.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rickiep00h posted:

I know a lot of people who "used to play Magic". Very few of them knew there are tournaments at all, and of those people--who weren't themselves actively tournament players--many of them had that story of that one time they went to FNM to see what it was all about, played against that one guy that deked them with superior rules knowledge (scooping, bad faith timing rules, played more than one counterspell, whatever), and they gave up playing on the spot.

Like, I assume most people play Magic like Monopoly: they don't actually know the rules as written, and when you inform them that you don't actually get anything for landing on Free Parking, they just stop playing. (This is not a judgement, but an observation/assumption.)

Those people aren't buying the latest wizards products because they have all the cards they needed when they made the purchase in the early 00's. Nothing drives a new purchase for them because why would they care? The people treating magic like monopoly don't have FOMO. They aren't reserving secret lairs because the randomly found it while browsing for socks on the internet.

The stuff sitting on the shelves at walmart that normal people might run across while shopping, can't be the stuff that is driving the majority of sales lmao. Its not a trivial amount, but it just can't be the massive majority :aloom:. And with the prices of sealed boxes online.. i am to believe that those shelling out the huge $$ for those don't know what a format is? I just can't.

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

It's dubious because it depends on the exact threshold they're using to measure whether someone "knows what something is".

Planeswalker: Heard the word? Know a character who is a planeswalker? Know it's a card type? Know the rules about it and can interpret the card? Seen one played? Played one themselves? Know the lore?

It's not too different from those stats like "one in seven adults in the U.S. is functionally illiterate". The reality* is a lot more complex and a lot of people skip over what exactly is being measured, what the thresholds of literacy are, and what that information might end up actually meaning to society as a whole.

In the same way, in order to for the statement "75% of people don't know what a planeswalker is" to mean anything useful at all we have to know some specific information that is withheld from the reader like how are you measuring that, how are you gathering that data, is it self reported, is it a twitter poll or something more rigorous, whats your sample size, etc.

*What's often being referenced in studies about adult illiteracy is functional illiteracy. People may hear the term "functionally illiterate" and picture an otherwise average person that they might run into on the street who can't read or write any words at all like some kind of cartoonish medieval peasant. But "Functionally illiterate" isn't just a turn of phrase, it has a fairly specific meaning. It's being used to describe a particular range of literacy, it's not just editorializing.

It defines level of literacy that allows the person to be functional* in society, meaning they can read short text and have a decent vocabulary in the dominant language, English in the case of the U.S., but they're not really able engage with more complex or advanced or technical writing without more education. Think "functional" as in "functional alcoholic" rather than "functionally useless". They're getting by, but they're not literate to the level that they can self-actualize based on that literacy.

When this is measured in the U.S., it's often measured as English literacy specifically, not any language, so it doesn't just cover people born in the US in english-speaking households, it covers all adults. Anyone who comes from a multilingual household or learned English as a second language in school or as an adult. So "one in seven adults is functionally illiterate" means something much more complex than "one in seven adults in the U.S. is a dirt farmer from the times of Charlemagne who thinks the funny symbols on the books are from the devil." It's important to differentiate between a sample of individuals being measured specifically on their literacy in the dominant language of the society vs one measured on their literacy in any language.

So that definition is not necessarily common knowledge, but unfortunately it can be counterintuitive because "functional" can be a little murky. It's not as bad as "deceptively" but it can modify other words in a few different ways depending on its context, such as:

1 - An adjective to mean simply that something can perform a specific operation. Sometimes used to contrast with circumstances that might make someone expect that it would not be able to do so. "I found a functional Sony TC-KA1ESA in that storage unit even with all the water damage!"
2 - An adjective to mean something is of low to middling quality, serviceable, or basic. "I don't like the way you solved this problem, but I suppose the solution is functional".
3 - An adverb in the form of functionally, to mean the actual or tangible results or interpretation of something, the "real world" application, contrasting with the theoretical or "on paper" version. Often used in phrases like "functionally useless" or "functionally obsolete". "It's a good design but it's functionally worthless to us because we don't have the resources to build it."

Some people see "functionally illiterate" and parse it as "does not even know the alphabet" instead of "can read enough, in English specifically, to get by, but not much else". It's still certainly something worth paying attention to as a society, but there's a big difference between "1 in 7 people do not know how to read anything at all" and the reality of adult english literacy in the U.S.

Anyways this is not to defend the U.S.'s generally abyssmal education system, and it's not a strict condemnation of casual use of statistics, it's just a very specific combination of things that I have a bug up my rear end about.

fake edit wow this got long

Sorry you had to write that. A lot of the people pretending not to understand this is less with they actually believe it and more that they have to be contrarian to whatever I am post because "posting grudges must continue".

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sickening posted:

The stuff sitting on the shelves at walmart that normal people might run across while shopping, can't be the stuff that is driving the majority of sales lmao. Its not a trivial amount, but it just can't be the massive majority :aloom:.

Why not?

How many FLGS stores do you think there are in the United States? How does that compare with the number of mainstream big-box stores?

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
lol you loving dork, large swathes of potential players do not live in a reasonable range of a flgs but basically everyone has a walmart or target close by. if your snagging point is "man i cant imagine anyone buys tcg products at walmart" you are hilariously out of touch

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

There was a point in the past two years that both Target and Walmart refused to sell TCG products because they couldn't meet demand and fistfights were breaking out in the stores.

Also ^^^ that. Barnes and Noble, too, for that matter.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Walmarts were getting cleaned out of all Pokemon cards within an hour of new stock coming in (leading to said fistfights in the parking lots). It's LGS's that are actually vestigial at best.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I started to play Magic and bought boosters when Mirage came out. Judgement was my first Pre-Release and I did my first official tournament when Theros came out.

Even now my paper Magic games are just "me and my brother gently caress around with old Modern decks that are probably not legal nor competitive anymore"

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 11, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

serefin99 posted:

Unironically though that would own. Magic deserves its own version of Duelist Kingdom, complete with making up rules on the spot.

New version of shandalar let's go :pray:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

uggy posted:

Make a legendary creature or planeswalker your commander in constructed formats

"you may cast this card once from outside the game"
Nothing can go wrong with this idea.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

lol you loving dork, large swathes of potential players do not live in a reasonable range of a flgs but basically everyone has a walmart or target close by. if your snagging point is "man i cant imagine anyone buys tcg products at walmart" you are hilariously out of touch

England. If you live in England, chances are you don't have a flgs near you, nor do you know what one is? They're as rare as hens teeth. In the 90s you'd get your magic from Game or Virgin megastores, now I think probably Waterstones, the book shop, is possibly the easiest place? I reckon probably 2% of people buying magic are buying it from a flgs here, just because, I doubt much more than that have access to one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
There are a fair number of Generic Nerd Stores like Forbidden Planet and Travelling Man about the UK, so them too.

Serf
May 5, 2011

You used to be able to get TCG products at our Wal-Mart, but they disappeared a few years back. Which kinda sucks because you could consistently get the precon decks for cheaper there than the LGS.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

uggy posted:

Make a legendary creature or planeswalker your commander in constructed formats

this would be very funny, but no

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

this would be very funny, but no

Make it any card for maximum busted

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I'm excited for magic to Change Forever and revert to the original deckbuilding rules so we can finally experience magic as Richard Garfield intended it

That's right, no banned restricted lists, no 4 card limit in your deck, all the favorites coming back

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

To play "as Richard Garfield intended it" in a less literal way you should probably scale the card number limit as function of rarity: 1 copy for Mythic, 2 for Rare, 4 for Uncommon and 6 for Common, or something like that.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

To play "as Richard Garfield intended it" in a less literal way you should probably scale the card number limit as function of rarity: 1 copy for Mythic, 2 for Rare, 4 for Uncommon and 6 for Common, or something like that.

This sounds like a potentially interesting variant to play. I’ve also given this zero thought so maybe it’d suck poo poo.

6 commons is probably too much, maybe if it was just 1-2-3-4 for M-R-U-C?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
The big change is Magic 30th edition is now tournament legal
Should have bought it while you had the chance!!!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ilmucche posted:

Make it any card for maximum busted

any non-land permanent, and make it a special set for limited like Baldurs Gate Legends

heck make it land, it would be very funny if designed right

Serf
May 5, 2011

Finally my Genju of the Realm deck will be legal without Rule 0

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

the Orb of Zot posted:

The big change is Magic 30th edition is now tournament legal
Should have bought it while you had the chance!!!

This might in fact be the perfect way to make literally everyone mad

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Planeswalkers at common now, since just anyone can do it!

Also, do you guys really think that someone who bought a precon, played it twice, and quit 15 years ago is going to bother answering surveys about magic?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Judgy Fucker posted:

This sounds like a potentially interesting variant to play. I’ve also given this zero thought so maybe it’d suck poo poo.

6 commons is probably too much, maybe if it was just 1-2-3-4 for M-R-U-C?

1-1-2-4. also, in case of multiple rarities due to different printing, the lowest one counts.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

A Moose posted:

Planeswalkers at common now, since just anyone can do it!

yeah it's this, so you can do no-name low manavalue walkers without upsetting any lore

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Other card types with the planeswalker type line so you can start attacking your opponents annoying artifacts and enchantments directly

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Looking forward to the Urza Planeswalker Land.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
they're removing blocking and letting you attack creatures directly like in hearthstone

preorder the new eternal masters set which contains a couple of mythic taunt creatures at legacy-playable power levels, $15 a booster!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The game will now revolve into building a tower of cards with half a deck and physically throwing the cards of the other half at your opponent tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

the Big Change is that tapping is now a 360° rotation of the cards, it's 4x better!