Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

cinematic and tactical? :ok:
Not impossible but lol at what I assume is their first attempt at making a system from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I’m sure it will also take a minute to learn and a lifetime to master.

Also lightning fast and deeply intensely strategic.

Intricate detailed mechanics and completely stays out of your way to let you just play man.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

HidaO-Win posted:

Intricate detailed mechanics and completely stays out of your way to let you just play man.

You forgot perfect balance.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yea, with all this rush to create new systems it'll be interesting to see if any of them actually bother to mug up on game design from the last 22 years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
sorry if I'm being a little too cynical. people should get to shoot their shot, but the pervasive lack of institutional knowledge, compounded by D&D stalwarts actively advocating for what I'm going to glibly characterize as "anti-design" mindset is going to cause a bunch of crap systems to bloom as these folks try to make their own bespoke system in response to this OGL issue

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Edit: Actually there’s no need to be a weird goon about this.

I hope they look at Lancer or whatever and make a game.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 11, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think that's just an euphemism for "5e-ish". Because 5e is cinematic and tactical.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy
Having watched the vod last night, I don't remember him saying it would be "cinematic," thought it's possible I missed it. He said it's a tactical heroic fantasy game that will probably use the setting from MCDM products and have classes based on the ones they've made for D&D such as the beastheart. He also mentioned that politics would be a gameplay pillar, that exploration/dungeon crawling won't be, that it'll use "weird dice," that he wants character creation to be more interesting and interactive (i.e. something kind of like Traveller), and he expressed annoyance at having to stick to decades old ideas for D&D that are only there because "that's D&D" for so long. He didn't want to go into too many specifics, as he was pretty sure that the game would change as it was developed and playtested, and he didn't want to disappoint people by promising something that won't be there in the end. And if you're thinking "that sounds odd for a 5e heartbreaker trying to become the next Pathfinder," the timing with the OGL stuff is coincidental. He was already planning on this to be the company's next big project.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HidaO-Win posted:

Yeah there's people I'd trust and be excited by saying "cinematic and tactical" but for everyone else it's 100% first time heartbreaker talk and hilarious

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Megazver posted:

I think that's just an euphemism for "5e-ish". Because 5e is cinematic and tactical.
Snd hlep bleedin gout from nose and eeys

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://medium.com/@MyLawyerFriend/lets-take-a-minute-to-talk-about-d-d-s-open-gaming-license-ogl-581312d48e2f

this is a really good explainer on the legal position and implications.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Excited to start work on my brand new, original IP, 'Bungeons & Bragons'. And yes there will be a BGL* for those who want to build upon my brilliance.

*Bloody Good License.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Bundle of Holding with the subtle burn:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/NonOGLFantasy

"Tabletop RPGs NOT based on the Open Game License"

Some good ones in there actually, not a bad bundle.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

sweet geek swag posted:

The fact that they said questions instead of concerns means they either intend to walk this back and pretend it's all a big misunderstanding, or just brazenly lie through the storm and implement it anyway.

When I was much younger I was going through a dusty archive of my dad's books and I found a sales training manual that includes "always convert objections into questions." It's de rigeur for the whole thing.

Honestly thinking about this for a while, I'm getting a strong feeling that the real golden prize for WotC here is the VTT market. That's how they'll get subscriptions, loot boxes with miniatures, garnished paid GMs, etc. Paizo, etc, are small potatoes financially but could offer compelling alternative systems for VTTs, especially PF2e which already has a decent VTT in Foundry which can't be shut down at a single point. They're not all that worried about non-OGL systems because so many VTTs have an internal structure based on the d20 system, and they're doubly not worried about non-tactical systems because most VTTs are built around the tactical grid. Likewise, there's the whole "you can't produce anything but paper documents and static files, but you give us the right to do whatever we want with your content" part of the OGL 1.1 - I'm guessing what they'd want to do is to subsume it into their VTT.

I wouldn't be that surprised if the next step in the story is Wizards offering Paizo, EN, etc. get-outs on the OGL 1.1 provided they agree a separate license that requires them to forbid anyone from making a VTT based on their systems, and to halt development of existing ones.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Genuinely odd watching the thread oscillate from ‘this is bad and will kill the hobby’ to mocking any company that, in light of this, is having a go at creating new systems to keep the hobby alive and well.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I don't think I've seen anyone not deeply invested in the D&D ecosystem say that this will kill the hobby. I haven't run D&D in over a decade and have had no issues with getting people into other systems. I don't think whatever happens here will affect people already in other systems very much.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Saxophone posted:

Genuinely odd watching the thread oscillate from ‘this is bad and will kill the hobby’ to mocking any company that, in light of this, is having a go at creating new systems to keep the hobby alive and well.

Yeah, it's a little weird.

Also, we're in the Golden Age of "I'll Make My Own D&D And Make Money Off It" right now. There are so many OSR games out, usually made by, like, one dude and most of them are actually pretty good.

I think Kobold and MCDM etc will actually be fine.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 11, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

sorry if I'm being a little too cynical. people should get to shoot their shot, but the pervasive lack of institutional knowledge, compounded by D&D stalwarts actively advocating for what I'm going to glibly characterize as "anti-design" mindset is going to cause a bunch of crap systems to bloom as these folks try to make their own bespoke system in response to this OGL issue
Yeah it's going to be heartbreaker city but you know what I'm here for that. If we get some good stuff out of it great, if not we'll have some laughs.

I am absolutely expecting 90% of these games's design process to start with "OK our six stats are might, agility, toughness, logic, instinct, and charm" as a basic, not even thought about thinking about it assumption though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

canepazzo posted:

Bundle of Holding with the subtle burn:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/NonOGLFantasy

"Tabletop RPGs NOT based on the Open Game License"

Some good ones in there actually, not a bad bundle.

I'm surprised that Heroes Against Darkness and Worlds Without Number do not use the OGL, but those games (and the rest of the bundle) rock and are cool so more power to them

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Saxophone posted:

I’ve only seen “this will kill the hobby” coming from Reddit and Twitter. A lot of people who came in with 5e have this belief that there needs to be a single alternative that all the 3rd party publishers coalesce under, which just seems like mental gymnastics to not try another system.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm surprised that Heroes Against Darkness and Worlds Without Number do not use the OGL, but those games (and the rest of the bundle) rock and are cool so more power to them

He usually creates his own lore-specific spells for every system. I've checked and I think Scarlet Heroes is actually the only one that has a Magic Missile equivalent:

Scarlet Heroes posted:

Seven Small Thunders

Aerial virtues of storm and light are compressed into small bolts
of lightning and storm clouds. For each two levels of the caster,
or fraction thereof, one bolt can be hurled at any target within
range. The bolt strikes automatically and does a 1d6+1 damage die,
inflicting 1 to 2 points of damage. Multiple bolts can be targeted at
the same victim.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

French OSR company The Merry Mushmen have decided to strip the new edition of The Black Sword Hack of the traditional names for the six ability scores and they’re going to publish without the OGL. It’s interesting that people think Hasbro will sue over any game that has the 6 ability scores. They’re probably right.

https://twitter.com/tmushmen/status/1613149433818132483?s=46&t=a17aa_YYDQXB7aQpqrWjCA

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Basic Fantasy publisher is asking for people's help stripping their book of all OGL elements:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/108t93t/we_need_your_help_the_basic_fantasy_roleplaying/

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Saxophone posted:

maybe im weird but I never switched away from D&D because of the system, it was always the setting

in the 90s I didn't love throwing fistfull of d6, I loved Shadowruns setting, or now d% and Eclipse Phase

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Lumbermouth posted:

I’ve only seen “this will kill the hobby” coming from Reddit and Twitter. A lot of people who came in with 5e have this belief that there needs to be a single alternative that all the 3rd party publishers coalesce under, which just seems like mental gymnastics to not try another system.

I mean, the only way that'll happen is if they all decide to refuse to play 1D&D if that becomes the only game in town, and that doesn't seem likely.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

cause a bunch of crap systems to bloom

I’m enjoying the irony that destroying the OGL will result in a similar effect as creating it did.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Newly minted 5e grogs raging on D&DOne is going to be the weirdest Deja Vu.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

moths posted:

Newly minted 5e grogs raging on D&DOne is going to be the weirdest Deja Vu.

the endless cycle.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Glad people are learning to create their own original stuff.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
What a crazy time we live in. So how many new Pathfinders is that in the last 48 hours? New OGL going pretty well for WotC.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

hyphz posted:

Yea, with all this rush to create new systems it'll be interesting to see if any of them actually bother to mug up on game design from the last 22 years.

It astounds and appals me how resistant the RPG sphere is to trying to learn from the rest of the gaming spheres work on game design.

If you compare how boardgames have spent the last twenty years evolving compared to RPGs its stark.
D&D 5E basically thumbing its nose at game design then succeeding wildly by accident was enraging.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

What a crazy time we live in. So how many new Pathfinders is that in the last 48 hours? New OGL going pretty well for WotC.

Its not even officially out! I think that's some sort of land-speed record of loving everything up!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Saxophone posted:

If D&D imploded into a black hole tomorrow and angels from heaven came down with flaming swords and carved "thou shalt never again make 3rd party D&D material on pain of eternal damnation" into a big rock the only hobby it would kill is the D&D hobby specifically. I am not especially concerned that WotC's actions are going to have a damaging impact on the hobby that is already being shoved into a corner by the existence of D&D.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Saxophone posted:

We're all hoping for something real good supplanting D&D as the Cool Kids System but we've been here before and it's going to be 90% heartbreaker city. I just don't really see many existing heavily 5e-oriented companies having a genuine brainstorm meeting on "Do we actually need ability scores?" or even "Separate toughness stat... good or bad?". Like I'm not saying Kobold Press specifically is going to ship out "So your Health Points are based on your Survivability score, which runs from 8 to 20 for a -1 to +5 modifier", but I am laughing in anticipation of all the ones that will.

We are specifically having a pleasant chuckle at Matt Colville's almost parodically Heartbreaker 101 announcement though.

e: Colville not Mercer

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 11, 2023

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
As far as I know Colville pays his writers something like 25 cents a word, gives them a consistent stream of work with his periodical, and has generally avoided being a shithead. I have no interest in his books or videos but if he wants to make an RPG I'm all for it. I hope he sells a million copies.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

I’m gonna predict right now that the majority of them will have learned zero lessons and almost nobody’s gonna use a Creative Commons license. I’m a pessimist, though.

Paizo has a window to change this by coming out strong with a CC-licensed Pathfinder SRD but the industry is about to realize that while Paizo is a better place for design and they do care about the fans, the executives are pretty loving cutthroat capitalists.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Splicer posted:

We're all hoping for something real good supplanting D&D as the Cool Kids System but we've been here before and it's going to be 90% heartbreaker city.
A 10% decrease from the past decade.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

HidaO-Win posted:

It astounds and appals me how resistant the RPG sphere is to trying to learn from the rest of the gaming spheres work on game design.

If you compare how boardgames have spent the last twenty years evolving compared to RPGs its stark.
D&D 5E basically thumbing its nose at game design then succeeding wildly by accident was enraging.

You extremely do not need to make something good to sell to D&D fans, unfortunately. This isn't "the RPG sphere," it's just down to the kind of people who play D&D.

That said, there's a technically non-zero chance that a rush of heartbreakers will produce at least some games with some good ideas, so it's a net benefit to the industry.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 11, 2023

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

d&d is less of a game and more of a vibe at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

d&d is less of a game and more of a vibe at this point

https://www.pcgamer.com/dandd-is-getting-a-live-action-tv-adaptation-from-the-writer-and-director-of-dodgeball/