Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the main story was utterly forgettable

What are you talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Squiggle posted:

What are you talking about

He’s talking about the main story. I know it’s forgettable but that was a single sentence!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cowcaster posted:

that's even worse! you said "ah, welp, killed alduin the dragon, let's go around that enchanting merry go round again from the beginning!"

You idiot. The best part of these games is starting a new character. I have 820 hours in Skyrim and I've never made it past learning the first shout. You absolute moron.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the main story is stupid bullshit it's a game for wandering around the world and collecting buckets and occasionally beheading a draugr when you run into one

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I learned from oblivion that doing the main story actively makes the game worse and this has been true for all of their games since

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Unlocking the "feature" to get attacked by dragons makes the game worse for sure.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You idiot. The best part of these games is starting a new character. I have 820 hours in Skyrim and I've never made it past learning the first shout. You absolute moron.

actually, the real Skyrim is spending 15 hours installing and troubleshooting 150+ mods and then uninstalling the game after 20 minutes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Skyrim is fail

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Sab669 posted:

Unlocking the "feature" to get attacked by dragons cliffracers makes the game worse for sure.

I never did install the extinction mod.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Skyrim is fail

Epic

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Oscar Wild posted:

I never did install the extinction mod.

I remember ages ago there was a goon with the username Cliff Racer and in the Morrowind mod thread someone, say their username was Joey, said 'Is there a mod to remove all cliff racers?' and Cliff Racer almost immediately posted 'Is there a mod to remove all joeys? :mad:'

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I started Morrowind again recently without any gameplay mods (on OpenMW though) and thought Cliff Racers would be annoying to deal with but I'm doing a full mage playthrough and the Cliff Racers are just helping me get my destruction skill up. Thanks guys

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Are there any Morrowind mods that grey out the dialog options you have already picked, like the later games?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ymgve posted:

Are there any Morrowind mods that grey out the dialog options you have already picked, like the later games?
OpenMW has that feature built in, sort of. It highlights important/unique dialogue options that you haven't seen yet if you turn on the appropriate setting.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I know this isn't the morrowind thread but as it's the topic of the moment

I just 2 days ago Googled morrowind mod pack and installed something called moise with some mod installer that required me to click download 200 times on nexus windows it opened

So having said that, what's the best way to play morrowind these days? Or oblivion. Did any of those things like skywind morrowblivion skyblivion or whatever ever actually finish?

Edit
Thanks person below me. I looked at the first post of that thread. I don't think I wanna play it that bad

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 11, 2023

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Let the Morrowind thread be your guide. There are a few different options but it's better to have that discussion here than in this thread.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Made it to the third boss of Rogue Legacy 2, and I think I'd done with it. The boss isn't hard, I almost beat her on the first try, but the game play loop just doesn't feel as rewarding or as interesting as the first one. Two many doo dads to invest in, too many whatzits that let you do thingamabob, none of which really change that you're doing the same RNG blocks over and over. Oh boy, I can increase my character weight, which lets me equip better equipment which adds to my stats. Or I can increase my resolve, which will let me equip unique power ups I find. Never had to do either of those things in the first game, you just upgraded poo poo you wanted and found RNG stuff as you played. The first game was one of my favorites and it just felt alot tighter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
rogue legacy 2's extremely granular progression can be a turnoff but i think your memories of the first are warped, it was a prototype for an entire genre and it's unplayable today

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
After updating to Windows 11, Steam identifies my Xbox Series controller as an Xbox One controller, which means losing the screenshot button.

Anyone figure this out for themselves? I updated the controller firmware via the Accessories app, but that didn't fix it.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 11, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

After updating to Windows 11, Steam identifies my Xbox Series controller as an Xbox One controller, which means losing the screenshot button.

Anyone figure this out for themselves? I updated the controller firmware via the Accessories app, but that didn't fix it.

toggling xbox extended feature support off and on, and restarting the pc again fixed it.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Steam holds many games, all of which you can own, some of which you can play.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

rogue legacy 2's extremely granular progression can be a turnoff but i think your memories of the first are warped, it was a prototype for an entire genre and it's unplayable today

Not going back to test that theory. Letting the memories be:unsmith:

I played that thing for 18 hours straight.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Resdfru posted:

I looked at the first post of that thread. I don't think I wanna play it that bad

Just use OpenMW. Push View Distance out maybe 3 times over vanilla (too much destroys the atmosphere/makes the world look too small). Enjoy Morrowind.

If you are willing to invest 10 more minutes maybe:
- Install the OpenMW compatible version of Morrowind Rebirth.
- Look for a good texture pack if you're so inclinded.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Oxxidation posted:

it was unplayable then too

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Looks like a new Freelancer is coming our way.
With single player, pvp and co-op.

Demo here https://pastaspace.itch.io/underspace
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1111930/Underspace/

Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgPnmJQeDyU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

OgNar posted:

Gameplay

Looks interesting. New age Freelancer.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

The base price of Rain World is increasing from $19.99 to $24.99 in early February.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/312520/announcements/detail/3671029700621011944

The DLC, Downpour, is out in 8 days and is $15...

quote:

Downpour comes with a load of new features including, Jolly Co-op, expedition mode, new playable slugcat, new rooms, and so much more!
I know you guys have been asking for a while, so today I want to announce the price to Downpour will be $14.99.

I also want to take the time to talk with you guys about the base price of Rain World. In early February the base game will increase from $19.99 to $24.99.
If you already own the game, don’t worry, this will not affect you.

If someone here was on the fence of picking it up, now is the time to do it I guess, or maybe don't? Because it sure is pretty weird to increase the price of a (almost) 6 year old game for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Edit: VVVVV
I see, that makes a little more sense I guess and yeah that is something that should definitely been made clearer if that's the case.
I should probably also mention that in spite of whatever is going on with this price thing, I absolutely still think this is worth playing. It is a fantastic game.

Flimf fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 11, 2023

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
If I remember correctly a lot of the features worked on for the Downpour update will be rolled out to the base game as well, so I'm guessing that's the logic for the price increase. It should've been clarified in the announcement though, and it's definitely still kind of weird considering how old the game is.

I really should play Rain World. It's been in my backlog for a long time and it seems to perfectly embody everything I love about games, yet somehow I keep... not playing it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Maybe there’s a better thread for this, but, parent goons of the Steam thread, can you recommend anything for my almost-5 year old to play? She’s been asking for awhile now to try games, and has played a little of this little of that, but I’d like something pretty much just for her that she can play either with a controller or mostly the mouse to help her develop those skills a bit.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Anno posted:

Maybe there’s a better thread for this, but, parent goons of the Steam thread, can you recommend anything for my almost-5 year old to play? She’s been asking for awhile now to try games, and has played a little of this little of that, but I’d like something pretty much just for her that she can play either with a controller or mostly the mouse to help her develop those skills a bit.
Highest possible recommendation to Jumpjet Rex which is a delightful little platformer

I also liked INK which is like a SFW Super Meat Boy

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How about Yoku's Island Express?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sway Grunt posted:

I really should play Rain World. It's been in my backlog for a long time and it seems to perfectly embody everything I love about games, yet somehow I keep... not playing it.

It seemed that way to me too and then completely sucked in practice. Skip.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sway Grunt posted:

Rain World is a genuinely incredible game with some really, really cool stuff in it, and a really cool setting with an interesting story

But it is actively hateful and does not care about you getting through it, so if you want to experience it, you have to commit, it's not going to hold your hand (it will bite it and eat you though)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Play as the yellow one (the easy mode). The ending is cool and there's a lot about it that's admirable but imo the game's not fun enough to sign up for the full pain circus.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Anno posted:

I asked that question here and got a lot of great responses https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020953&pagenumber=1&perpage=40&userid=56287#post528805192

You'll see my recommendations there as well but to restate it. My 6 year old and 3 year old love Wobbly Life. It's like an open world game with jobs and driving. Kid Gta basically. In the beginning they were bad at it but playing it made them much better at using the controller.

If also has split screen co-op and online co-op if you have multiple computers. Online co-op is loads of fun (with my kids and wife, I've never done with randos)

My other suggestion is GTA 5 with thr family friendly mod. The loading screen has guns but the mod has instructions to remove those too, I just never bothered. In game it removes all weapons and cops and violence, bad words, songs, etc. My kids spend hours and hours driving around in that game. No other game comes close in size and quality if you're a kid who wants to drive around

Oh one thing about gta, sometimes when it loads as Franklin he's coming out of thr weed store (you just see the leaf logo outside and he puts something in his pocket) and a lady in a bathing suit walks by and thr camera follows her for a moment as if he's looking. In case that would bother you

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 11, 2023

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Anno posted:

I mentioned this last time it came up (when the poster above me asked about it), but Nuclear Blaze is a pizel platformer where you have to put out fires, and the developer made a Kids Mode specifically so his young child could play. The water is infinite and auto-aiming. The character is immortal and automatically jumps when necessary. Also, it adds more fire trucks because kids love trucks.

The non-kids mode looks like it could be pretty fun and kinda hard, too, if you're into that as a parent. :)

Sonic Mania or the older Sonic the Hedgehog games (I think the Genesis ones are bundled together as Sonic Origins), or other simpler platformer games are a solid option, too. Sonic Mania has an option to disable the time limit (but you have to remember to do it at the beginning of every play session, because it resets when you exit the game), not sure about the older ones though.

Open-world driving games (specifically Burnout Paradise and NFS Heat) have been a hit for my nephews, who are a little older than your daughter (6 and 7-but-almost-8 now, but they've been playing games on the computer for a couple years). They don't care about actual races, they just like driving around (and crashing into other cars). One of them does a pretty cute thing after a big crash - he'll move the camera so he can see the front of the car and ask the driver "Are you okay?" They always are.

Watching kids learn and play video games can be really entertaining. "AAAH! I don't know how to drive! I'm only six years old!" :3:

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 11, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OgNar posted:

Gameplay

IIRC this is the one that has explicit support for Freelancer's models and sector map file types

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Anno posted:

My 4 year old son loved Paw Patrol: On a Roll

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Resdfru posted:

GTA 5 with the family friendly mod.

I thought Lego City Undercover was everyone's version of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Waffle! posted:

I thought Lego City Undercover was everyone's version of that.

Probably much simpler than getting mods in gta and keeping them working (not that it's hard).

I have heard that it's kid gta. I tried it once but my kids didn't like it. I should try again since kids like different things every other day