Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Surely you look at it to make sure it's actually worked or to check the melk store at some point after finishing the contracts anyway? I can't imagine many people are finishing all of the contracts and then going "ho hum, I probably got the reward, I won't check"? Most games make you click a thing to actually claim a daily/weekly in a menu in any case, maybe they should do that?

Unrelated, I seem to recall some people talking about the various Ogryn ripper gun types a few weeks back and saying that one of them felt pretty much useless whereas the other two felt pretty good. Which ones were which?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I wish the psyker could put a staff in the melee slot. It might be a bit OP to have a staff and a gun, but it would make the class actually interesting.

Honestly who cares if something is OP, there's no competitive element to the game. If it becomes a problem, buff other stuff to remain interesting and enticing to use.

Wish devs weren't so skittish of playing to the idea of player power fantasy.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Surely you look at it to make sure it's actually worked or to check the melk store at some point after finishing the contracts anyway? I can't imagine many people are finishing all of the contracts and then going "ho hum, I probably got the reward, I won't check"? Most games make you click a thing to actually claim a daily/weekly in a menu in any case, maybe they should do that?

It's more that it sounds as if your Melk Money goes away if you didn't look at your contracts in time before the roll over which, if so, is fuckin dumb.

thebardyspoon posted:

Unrelated, I seem to recall some people talking about the various Ogryn ripper gun types a few weeks back and saying that one of them felt pretty much useless whereas the other two felt pretty good. Which ones were which?

Scikar posted:

I love the Ripper guns and I've seen people ask about them a few times, so here's what I've learnt about them:

Mk II - this is the green one, with a gold winged skull on the side, and the first one you get. It fires in a 3 round burst hip fire, and full auto with 2 rounds minimum per click braced alt-fire. The rate of fire for both is very steady and controllable, so it is good at both deleting a rager charging in with the primary fire, or laying out a full mag across a room full of shooters with the braced alt-fire. It does significantly more damage per shot than the other two, but the base cone on each shot is wider, and it has a lower cutoff for 'far' range, so you really feel it if there's a gunner in partial cover sat a bit outside your charge range.

Mk V - this is the blue one, with a wooden handle and a circular hole in the blade. It is the worst of the ripper guns in my opinion. It also fires in a 3 round burst hip fire, and braced is again full auto but minimum 3 rounds per click. The rate of fire is higher, but recoil is much worse, you pretty much cannot aim the full auto at all. It has a tighter base cone than the Mk II and 'far' range is a bit further out, but with less damage per shot and the vicious recoil, you aren't realistically applying any better damage at a distance while performing worse up close. It also has less ammo than the other two marks.

Mk VI - this is the brown one. It fires in a 2 round burst hip fire, and 3 round burst braced alt-fire. It otherwise has the same damage, rate of fire, cone spread, and range falloff as the Mk V, but with the recoil and ammo stats of the Mk II. In other words, this is the actual tradeoff option if you want to apply damage a bit further out. You'll need 3 or 4 clicks to kill a rager, but that will at least be consistent, and if you have enough ammo in the mag then you can probably knock that hound off your teammate across the room without having to actually run over there yourself.

The tl;dr is use the Mk II, and treat it exactly like a shotgun but with a room clearing continuous alt-fire instead of the precise shot that the zealot/veteran get on theirs. The Mk VI is okay but the grenadier gauntlet is better at the same job most of the time. The Mk V is just bad.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 10, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Internet Explorer posted:

This game is definitely following in the footsteps of VT2 with a lot of weird bugs/interactions with game mechanics.

You generate more toughness in coherency when standing still.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/106ng0z/psa_you_regain_toughness_3x_faster_in_coherency/

List of interesting tidbits about feats, hidden stats, etc., from Royale w/ Cheese, one of the go-to sources on all things VT2.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2905188402

My favorite is the recent discovery that Rending and Brittle are identical, that there's two versions of REnding (mob-debuff and self-buff), _and_ that Rending can actually be a detriment if you have a weapon with a high armor modifier

https://old.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/1089fif/how_rending_works/

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fishstick posted:

My favorite is the recent discovery that Rending and Brittle are identical, that there's two versions of REnding (mob-debuff and self-buff), _and_ that Rending can actually be a detriment if you have a weapon with a high armor modifier

https://old.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/1089fif/how_rending_works/

No this one is my favorite:

quote:

Thy Wrath Be Swift
Movement speed only triggers when taking health damage.
No longer stunned or slowed by melee or range attacks.
Currently picking this talent will break The Emperor's Will & Benediction.

Means picking this breaks the preachers coherency bonus and boosted coherency bonus lol

?!

quote:

Currently using Faith Restores All will trigger other Preacher's Until Death when you trigger your own.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah TIL that I have talents picked on both zealot and ogryn that do not work, lmao

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

quote:

Currently using Faith Restores All will trigger other Preacher's Until Death when you trigger your own.

Welp. That explains a few times where I thought I was going crazy.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Mega Comrade posted:

I do wonder how much of the hub loading is assets loading locally and how much is their servers because it varies massively. Sometimes its 'ok' and other times its incredibly slow.
I'm 90% it's a Destiny style connecting issue that causes the super long load times; there have been times where it's taken me 2+ minutes to get to the hub (on an SSD) and when I finally load in, there's about a dozen people all standing at the entrance and we all immediately start running towards the shop/mission terminal like we all loaded in at the same time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Insert name here posted:

I'm 90% it's a Destiny style connecting issue that causes the super long load times; there have been times where it's taken me 2+ minutes to get to the hub (on an SSD) and when I finally load in, there's about a dozen people all standing at the entrance and we all immediately start running towards the shop/mission terminal like we all loaded in at the same time.

It's this. This week I've also had several 3-5 minute load times into a mission itself. M.2 SSD

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I recently upgraded to a new computer and with Darktide now on an SSD it does load noticeably faster (especially the "processing inquisitorial clearance" part of the title screen) but yeah I imagine there's a lot of Destiny-style problems with that central hub given that I've seen a lot of what others have seen before and after my upgrade.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Evil Kit posted:

I feel like launchers in general used to be more prevalent when physical CDs were still needed for games. I'm curious what might have caused it to change so much, and the reasons devs would still make use of it.
I think they're mostly a store front to sell ingame tat for money and to advertise other games. The VT2 launcher is also where you manage your mods, which at least makes sense since (I presume) switching them around in-game would require a restart.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Welp. That explains a few times where I thought I was going crazy.

Out of all of the fatshark bugs, I did not expect your feat choices to bug out OTHER PLAYERS when you take it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm quite enjoying playing Psyker after going to 30 on veteran. I want to use the dueling as it looks fun but surely it can't be as good as a force sword tied to my classes mechanics. Seems odd the veteran can't use it really.

Similarly, is there an actual use case for the pistols? Las pistol looks and feels nice, I just wish it could compete with rifles at higher levels.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I wish I could get a text dump of all the voice lines in the game. There have been a few just one off lines that I've really liked. I think the cadian male survivor voice for veteran has a couple of really fun braggy lines that have made me chuckle in appreciation when I've heard them.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Is the only global condition left in rotation pox hounds?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Jerkface posted:

the second a genestealer jukes and drifts through my bolter fire like a poxhound to instakill me im uninstalling the game

skill issue

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Demilich posted:

Is the only global condition left in rotation pox hounds?

Yes and it's obnoxiously frequent.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

This release is sad even by Fatshark standards.

Guillotine the management and parent company. :argh:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

The Demilich posted:

This release is sad even by Fatshark standards.

Guillotine the management and parent company. :argh:

Get poxxed, bicth

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I did, it decided to land in between me and 16 drat gunners.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Hounds are the one enemy that still consistently gets me. I can dodge trappers, mutants and sniper shots reliably at this point but the timing feels weird with hounds and the pounce connects even when it feels like I'm dodging or pushing at the right time.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Hounds are the one enemy that still consistently gets me. I can dodge trappers, mutants and sniper shots reliably at this point but the timing feels weird with hounds and the pounce connects even when it feels like I'm dodging or pushing at the right time.

I'm pretty sure their servers have taken a huge dump the past few weeks. Running autogun and lasgun today I've had so much phantom hit registration, including an insane one where a scav melee guy tanked like 5 blatant chest\headshots at point-blank. Hounds have just been warping and sliding all over the place more than normal. i feel like their patch to reduce pox rockets decoupled them from the server tick instead somehow. its hosed and i hate them with my life!!!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
When I hear a hound I try my best to get between some cover like some barrels or a chest high wall or just the corner of a doorway, dogs will have some extra trouble getting around those before pouncing which might give you the time you need to kill them or scare them away.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Honestly what's worked best for me is not trying to dodge, but rather slide forward and melee attack. My record isn't 100%, but I think it's fair to say I kill more dogs than the Huckabee family. They *seem* to have a damage multiplier when you hit them mid-pounce like this, but I don't have data to confirm it. If the first hit doesn't end them, they're staggered and point blank for the follow-up.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Quick Ratfight question:

Does anyone know how/if the bots scale in a Chaos Wastes run? Obviously they can't interact with any of the shrines so I assume they don't get boons. But do their weapons scale in any way? Maybe matching the player's power, or something? It's hard to find any definitive info on this - different threads say different things and no-one seems to really know.

If not I'm guessing they won't be much use with their 450 hero power and grey weapons by the end of a Legend run.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
What's the preferred model for the Helbore lasgun? The nearest in performance to an MK12, I guess; the most important aspect being able to one-tap bodyshot Dregs and hopefully two-shot Scabs without charging.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Zephro posted:

Quick Ratfight question:

Does anyone know how/if the bots scale in a Chaos Wastes run? Obviously they can't interact with any of the shrines so I assume they don't get boons. But do their weapons scale in any way? Maybe matching the player's power, or something? It's hard to find any definitive info on this - different threads say different things and no-one seems to really know.

If not I'm guessing they won't be much use with their 450 hero power and grey weapons by the end of a Legend run.

My understanding, and this is from a while back so it's entirely possible it's changed.

Don't get shrine boons.
Do get the map bonuses for completing a map.
Their weapons scale to yours, so upgrade your weapon early and keep them upgraded.
Human players get bonus coins for playing with bots.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jerkface posted:

I wish I could get a text dump of all the voice lines in the game. There have been a few just one off lines that I've really liked. I think the cadian male survivor voice for veteran has a couple of really fun braggy lines that have made me chuckle in appreciation when I've heard them.

I watched a really cool clip of the guy who does one of the vet voices playing with randoms on discord, in character. At one point he goes:

"Where you from soldier?"

And the random is like, "er... I'm from CADIA!" kinda playing along, and he just deadass 'immediately' drops

"Well you're not from Cadia any more, are ya?"

And it was loving amazing.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Deptfordx posted:

My understanding, and this is from a while back so it's entirely possible it's changed.

Don't get shrine boons.
Do get the map bonuses for completing a map.
Their weapons scale to yours, so upgrade your weapon early and keep them upgraded.
Human players get bonus coins for playing with bots.
Thanks, that's really helpful.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

!Klams posted:

I watched a really cool clip of the guy who does one of the vet voices playing with randoms on discord, in character. At one point he goes:

"Where you from soldier?"

And the random is like, "er... I'm from CADIA!" kinda playing along, and he just deadass 'immediately' drops

"Well you're not from Cadia any more, are ya?"

And it was loving amazing.

that sounds very good. I ran into someone today using a duke nukem soundalike soundboard which was amusing.

I also like all the lines about this warzone being "Zone Mortalis, a place soldiers come to DIE"

thats such a 40k codex blurb fluff thing

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im imagining fatshark are all having this idyllic swedish christmas while a big line graph on a monitor left on in a darkened room in their empty office is plummeting down and making that whistling tone. all innocently singing folk songs with their stoutest, jolliest uncle while in the background disaster is looming

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Jerkface posted:

I'm pretty sure their servers have taken a huge dump the past few weeks. Running autogun and lasgun today I've had so much phantom hit registration, including an insane one where a scav melee guy tanked like 5 blatant chest\headshots at point-blank. Hounds have just been warping and sliding all over the place more than normal. i feel like their patch to reduce pox rockets decoupled them from the server tick instead somehow. its hosed and i hate them with my life!!!

I've been experiencing a lot more weapon switching jank lately and I have no idea if that's a server issue or not. I will mash 1 to try to block in anticipation and my character will just keep switching to 2 over and over while i get deleted by melee.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

big cummers ONLY posted:

Get poxxed, bicth

poxx clause

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Carew posted:

I've been experiencing a lot more weapon switching jank lately and I have no idea if that's a server issue or not. I will mash 1 to try to block in anticipation and my character will just keep switching to 2 over and over while i get deleted by melee.

Had this happen to me consistently last night. Could not quick switch weapons. Only the mouse wheel seemed to work.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

toasterwarrior posted:

What's the preferred model for the Helbore lasgun? The nearest in performance to an MK12, I guess; the most important aspect being able to one-tap bodyshot Dregs and hopefully two-shot Scabs without charging.

The Mk2 Helbore is the one that handles the closest to the Kantrael Mk12, it has the shortest charge time and about 25% more damage than the Mk12. If you get a good charge time roll it slams out shots about as fast as the Kantrael.

The Mk1 is the balanced stat one and the Mk3 is the heavy charge one and both of them can body shot shooters on Damnation with a charged attack. They both do a bazillion damage on weak spot hit and if you crit (easiest with Deadshot) can even do over 1k damage to Carapace weak spots.

The uncharged attacks aren't very ammo efficient and should be used only in a pinch.

If you get the blessing for reduced charge time on chained attacks that's a winner.

thebardyspoon posted:

I've actually had really a good time with the Mk5 Ripper comboed with a Bully Club and not just because the Mk 5 was the only good gun that dropped when I dinged 30 on Ogryn. The Mk 5 has the highest ROF by far and so it's really good for dumping a huge burst of 1k damage into a special or mutant and moving on

You do have to keep ammo on an IV though, there's never enough shells

40 Proof Listerine fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 11, 2023

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
One thing I really hate about this game, is that I've got a vet to level 30, and I still don't really know which Lasguns or autorifles are which. I know the Helbore is a sniper rifle because it looks like one, and I think there are three other types of Lasgun? Maybe?

I steer clear of autorifles because one of them I've got I used and it was so poo poo that I couldn't kill anything. But I don't know which one it was, so I don't wanna buy any others in case I get that one, so I just don't use any.

And, yes, obviously, I could do some homework and work it out. But it's really really not obvious in the game, given that they have the same model, and the names could equally be philosophy textbook titles.

It took me way, way too long to even realise that there were a bunch of different weapons, and not just 3 or 4 with different stats.

Again, yes, I'm a fuckin dumb dumb. But I don't like that it makes me feel stupid.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

40 Proof Listerine posted:

I've actually had really a good time with the Mk5 Ripper comboed with a Bully Club and not just because the Mk 5 was the only good gun that dropped when I dinged 30 on Ogryn. The Mk 5 has the highest ROF by far and so it's really good for dumping a huge burst of 1k damage into a special or mutant and moving on

You ought to check the damage against the Mk II when you get the chance. Actually I have nothing to do right now:

Mk II (8.89 Rate of Fire):

Mk V (8.89 Rate of Fire):

Mk VI (10.00 Rate of Fire):

Hard to argue for anything but the Mk II if you need to pull the weight of killing for your team. It's downsides to me are:
-VERY high recoil on primary fire (it's hard to shoot more than 2 bursts without your reticle jumping into the top of your screen).
-Fairly low rate of fire on secondary fire. Upside here is it only fires a 2-shot burst unlike the 3-shot burst of the other Rippers, and they come out slow enough to consistently shoot 2 different targets in the burst.

I would say the strength of the Mk VI is using it as a CC weapon to make space for your team when you're being swarmed by Maulers/Ragers on higher difficulties. The Mk II can do that too but you, but less flexibly, since the Mk VI's primary fire recoil is so much more manageable. Please don't let the humorous irony of Ogryn weapon choice analysis escape you!

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

!Klams posted:

It took me way, way too long to even realise that there were a bunch of different weapons, and not just 3 or 4 with different stats.

Again, yes, I'm a fuckin dumb dumb. But I don't like that it makes me feel stupid.

I think it would be a huge help if there was a line in a gun's tooltip that told you "here's what differentiates this mark." Just something that says "this one is slow but higher damage", "this one trades damage for ammo efficiency", etc. And they need to pick either Mk numbers or variant names, not both. There don't need to be 3 different kinds of auto rifle with three different Mks each. I don't even know if there ARE three different autorifles with three Mks each because after 140 hours of play, my brain still gets scrambled by all the layers of abstracted variation. I have no idea how many guns there are!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I legitimately made myself a google doc spreadsheet of the different fire modes and swing patterns of each weapon so I don't buy a Devil's Claw V thinking it is the one with the good horizontals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

!Klams posted:

One thing I really hate about this game, is that I've got a vet to level 30, and I still don't really know which Lasguns or autorifles are which. I know the Helbore is a sniper rifle because it looks like one, and I think there are three other types of Lasgun? Maybe?

I steer clear of autorifles because one of them I've got I used and it was so poo poo that I couldn't kill anything. But I don't know which one it was, so I don't wanna buy any others in case I get that one, so I just don't use any.

And, yes, obviously, I could do some homework and work it out. But it's really really not obvious in the game, given that they have the same model, and the names could equally be philosophy textbook titles.

Lasguns: Three types, each with a different manufacturer name
Accatran = rapid-fire. 3 Variations. I forget which Mk but one of them does double damage (80ish) but takes double ammo per shot, that's the good one. It's pretty drat good but IMO a good Graia braced auto does the same job but far better.
Helbore = Sniper. 3 Variations, I haven't used any of them so :shrug:
Kantrael = Semi-auto. I think they're good with a really good roll or something? But the good Accatran generally outweighs them

Autoguns: Each Mk has a different manufacturer name but there are three types of autogun
Braced - No iron sights, 'braced' hipfire aiming mode. 3 Variations. The good ones are Columnus/Mk 2 (lower damage output but great stability/recoil/accuracy, ammo efficient) and Graia/Mk IV (absurd damage output, high fire rate, eats up ammo). After many hours on Veteran this is IMO the best gun in the game that isn't named "Plasma gun". I'd say Graia is better on Veteran and Columnus is better on Zealot (because of the Veteran's bonus to max ammo reserves)
(Worth noting: the ogryn's bigass machine gun is effectively a braced autogun that shoots bolter shells and it owns)

Headhunter - 3 Variations, they all suck, burst-fire, bad iron sights, poor mag size/recoil, poo poo gun
Infantry - 3 Variations, they all suck, semi-auto with bad iron-sights and poor mag size/recoil, also a poo poo gun

e: Not to dismiss the complaints about how confusing it all is, because it is :v: but here's a list of autoguns and lasguns

e2: Also here's my 1 millionth shoutout to the braced autogun: on a veteran with the feats to (1) take 75% reduced damage while in Volley Fire and (2) Desginate all shooters as priority targets during Volley Fire, you can just walk straight through entire levels on 4* Difficulty waving your autogun around like a cartoon mobster, you easily shrug off all the damage you take and there are generally enough shooters around to have near-perfect uptime on Volley Fire. The autogun is so quick and mobile and reloads so fast your Volley Fire only ends when you run out of priority targets.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 11, 2023