Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ammanas posted:

i dont see how that makes the slightest bit of sense. they probably banned them to maintain high house prices and therefore property taxes.

It's something to do with the high cost of building one that makes them more appealing to investors rather than typical homeowners, and how they lend themselves to short-term rentals. Knowing my city government, some of them were well meaning but definitely coming from the perspective of being a well-off homeowner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My city just banned (slash, voted not to allow) accessory dwelling units because they were worried it would increase investor buyups of our housing stock. A real cut the nose to spite the face moment.

*developerishly* wow terrible

anyway ill just buy this 700k old sfh and replace it with a 1.5m sfh that's got twice the square footage on the same lot except now it looks like someone dropped a prefab lego house with the absolute minimum setbacks onto the block

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

minimum setbacks are bullshit and single family house zoning is racist

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ammanas posted:

no government entity is going to ban buying homes to rent them, even if it's wildly in their interests to do so

that's where the evil HOAs come in handy.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Speaking of short term rentals, you guys reminded me of this local'ish gem:

Summit County second-home owners report struggles if their properties arent paid for by short-term renters]

quote:

Summit County local Timothy Paynter has owned a second property in Breckenridge for 20 years that he rents for six months out of the year.

His studio loft has served him during that time, but now Paynter has a 2-year-old grandson who he wants to grow up in the county and attend Summit County schools.

Ive looked at the programs that they offer in Summit County, and Im impressed that theres golfing and theres skiing and theres rock climbing and theres swimming, Paynter said, and Id like him to be part of all of that.

Therefore, Paynter wants to buy a different property in Summit County, one where he can expand his home to welcome his grandson and his grandsons parents. However, with the increased price of housing, he would need to rent it.
He said during peak seasons and holidays, he and his family could open a room in their home for a renter because theres so much money to be made during the peak season.

However, Paynter isnt able to get a short-term license in many neighborhoods, and the ones where he could obtain a license are far out of his price range, he said.

he just wants to achieve his dream of being a landlord :qq:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

19 o'clock posted:

Come to the San Luis Valley. We have alligators and sand. And an airbnb with camels.

https://www.uncovercolorado.com/camels-in-colorado/

So loving weird here. Also 2 murders in the last two months (one was yesterday), and an attempted murder on a cop two months ago.

Wild.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Minecraft Holmes posted:

minimum setbacks are bullshit and single family house zoning is racist

with the exception of nuisance separation and environmental protection, setbacks are terrible as gently caress and serve only to force people to deliberately have unproductive and economically useless land

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

also it's like minimum parking requirements for new development in that it encourages sprawl

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I know it's gauche but I'm quoting myself from a different internet context:

quote:

One of the most important historical aspects of North American suburban land use development (beyond minimum lot sizes and car dependency) is the seemingly mandatory requirement for expansive but "useless" setbacks / yards.

The enforcement of non-productive land (no agriculture, no home-based businesses, etc) in this context is a deliberate form of economic segregation, intended to keep the "poor" out.

Remember - the easiest way for the less fortunate to start a business is from your own property (rather than leasing land elsewhere), and you can see this in rural contexts all the time.

This practice was originally enforced through restrictive covenants on a piecemeal basis, and then eventually, it became standard practice through zoning regulation as suburbia became increasingly accessible to interwar and postwar families. Economic segregation de jure.

So, is a yard necessary? For separation of incompatible uses and users, certainly.

In a suburban context? Well, isn't that its "purpose"?

death to setbacks

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Come to the San Luis Valley. We have alligators and sand. And an airbnb with camels.

https://www.uncovercolorado.com/camels-in-colorado/

So loving weird here. Also 2 murders in the last two months (one was yesterday), and an attempted murder on a cop two months ago.

Wild.

oh poo poo! I was looking at land down there because lol at buying anything north of the springs. reading into the water situation and it just sounded too risky to start making moves. are you homesteading down there?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

19 o'clock posted:

oh poo poo! I was looking at land down there because lol at buying anything north of the springs. reading into the water situation and it just sounded too risky to start making moves. are you homesteading down there?

Not yet. Someday.

My friend owns 40 acres outside Mosca. Water was 10 feet from the top of the well in October. We have a pretty good amount of water, but Denver has been trying to pipe it out for years. As long as snow falls on the Sangres and San Juans, we'll have water.

Been a dry winter on the valley floor though. We've had maybe 3 inches of snow all winter.

Land down here is cheap. You can get 35-40 acres for $20-30k. Hersing will drill you up to a 100 foot well for around $11k. Be warned though, if they hit water at 20 feet, they're only drilling to 50 total. They also know septic people that work relatively cheap. Lots of sulphur in the water.

You need 35 acres to irrigate 1 acre on residentially zoned land here. Anything smaller, indoor use only.

You will want to look into the job situation here, because it's a pretty tight market.

E: Bears and mountain lions roam the valley floor sometimes. Something to keep in mind if you're thinking about going this rural. A bear was spotted a few miles south of my friend's house a while back, at least 25 miles from the mountains. Wild horses, too, but those are also a "keep your distance" thing.

E2: I can also get you the number for a solar electrician.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 05:50 on Jan 11, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love bears :)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

front yards are a little silly I guess but back yards are very useful

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If I ever actually own a yard, I'll turn it into a pollinator+food garden immediately. My current landlord gets mad at me if I don't mow the grass to a certain length.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

my wife has been in our back yard less than ten times over eight years

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

id i had land i wouldnt use it at all I'd keep it looking sharp and shoot anyone who touches it

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

19 o'clock posted:

Summit County second-home owners report struggles if their properties arent paid for by short-term renters]

he just wants to achieve his dream of being a landlord :qq:

These laws were supposed to keep out other people, not me!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It will take years to finish at my current rate of expansion, but our backyard will eventually be nothing except a massive food garden.

Also the front yard. gently caress lawns.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

my wife has been in our back yard less than ten times over eight years

why?

goats?

Apr 7, 2003

She's just not one for sitting in the yard. Honestly if I could have bought the house without a yard at all I would have.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

MickeyFinn posted:

These laws were supposed to keep out other people, not me!

He just wants his grandson to go to a rich, white "good" school. Too bad Airbnb poisoned the well with a bunch of people who have the resources and wherewithal to ban them.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I love bears :)

A neighbor of mine here told me about her father, who was attacked by a bear 20-odd miles from the mountains. He didn't survive. Lived long enough to yell for the family to call the cops.

This is a place you check for wildlife before letting your dogs out. Foxes and coyotes are prevalent. Large birds will gently caress off with your cats (this is a migratory path). Not the place to have a small animal you're not watching every moment they're outside. Haven't heard much about wolves, but they're likely in the San Juans, if there are any this far south in Colorado.

Good hunting, though. Elk, mule deer, pronghorn. There was an article recently about an elk that's hanging out with wild horses. :3:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If I ever actually own a yard, I'll turn it into a pollinator+food garden immediately. My current landlord gets mad at me if I don't mow the grass to a certain length.

this is one of the really weird elements of renting a sfh...the landlord expects you to pay and provide labor for the upkeep of their yard. even when they hire landscapers you pay the water bill (but often dont control the sprinklers.

heres an idea, gently caress YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I have a cordial relationship with my landlord even though I secretly post mean things about him on the computer :twisted:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Housing prices seem to be dropping in many places. Seems good to me, and I hope they drop more.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ammanas posted:

this is one of the really weird elements of renting a sfh...the landlord expects you to pay and provide labor for the upkeep of their yard. even when they hire landscapers you pay the water bill (but often dont control the sprinklers.

heres an idea, gently caress YOU

I've mentioned this before, but I worked out a deal with my landlord to let me maintain the yard (so that she could stop hiring landscapers) in exchange for lower rent. She agreed. And then she raised the rent back to the exact same level when I renewed my lease.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Housing prices seem to be dropping in many places. Seems good to me, and I hope they drop more.

Housing prices will come down somewhere around 5-15% off peak, maybe a little more in extremely hot markets, maybe a little less if the fed pivots sooner than expected. They'll bounce back as soon as rates decrease, so the net effect is that there will never actually be a point where housing is more affordable.

edit- an actual housing crash that brings down prices by a substantial amount means that people are losing their homes in huge numbers. it's basically the only way it can happen, short of something crazy like a huge infusion of new, low-priced stock or landlords just getting creamed somehow.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Jan 11, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

Housing prices won't drop below where they were at the start of the pandemic, that's the baseline, and they've got a while to go to hit that.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I had a landlord ask me once, since I was the "big man of the house" if I was okay with a "quiet colored lady" moving in across the hall. :what:

Apr 7, 2003

Well, were you?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

I told him I was and then she never moved in! Instead the next guy was some mustachioed middle aged white guy.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

External Organs posted:

I told him I was and then she never moved in! Instead the next guy was some mustachioed middle aged white guy.

lol

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The modest 4b, 3ba victorian that my friend grew up in, which her parents bought for $19k, is on the market for $1.1 million. (Her family sold it off 20 years ago.)

Even in here in the chicago northern burbs that's a wildly inflated price & I'd be surprised if it sells for much more than $700k.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Willa Rogers posted:

The modest 4b, 3ba victorian that my friend grew up in, which her parents bought for $19k, is on the market for $1.1 million. (Her family sold it off 20 years ago.)

Even in here in the chicago northern burbs that's a wildly inflated price & I'd be surprised if it sells for much more than $700k.

Lol illinois.

Wonder what the property taxes are like.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol illinois.

Wonder what the property taxes are like.

As of 2019 property taxes were $18k, lmao. They went down slightly during covid year 2020 but were still $17k.

The house last sold in 2013 for $725k after my friend's family sold it in the early aughts for $350k.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
loving ouch.

I grew up south of Kankakee, property taxes have always been nuts in Illinois. I remember my dad bitching about a $5k tax bill between the county and town on a $110k house in the 90s.

E: if you move south towards Champaign, you can get a house under $100k pretty easily. There's a decent little 2 bed in Watseka I like that's $43k. In a flood zone though.

It's not Colorado though, so I'm not moving back.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 21:08 on Jan 11, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Colorado had dirt-cheap property taxes when I was scoping out homes there a decade ago.

Cook County probably has the highest property tax in IL, and then living in a city in which a tax-free non-profit keeps gobbling up property doesn't help either.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
gently caress yeah, tax on 5 acres of nothing out here is like $75.

Illinois taxes are nothing new though, everyone I know there and can remember from growing up there has always bitched about the taxes. Like New Jersey without the coastline.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how is 4BD/3BA modest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

actionjackson posted:

how is 4BD/3BA modest

bc it had tiny rooms + two baths when it was first built. My friend grew up there with four siblings.

I think someone finished the attic at some point, and my friend's ex (a contractor) built an enclosed back porch on it, and some rooms have been merged, but I grew up in a similar house & it was far from spacious at the time. (That house, too, has since had an attic finished & some other renos.)

Think large (and especially the catholic) 60s families. There was a rowhouse across the street from us with 4 bedrooms + finished attic but they had 10 freaking kids.

They called it the baby boom for a reason!