Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

InternetOfTwinks posted:

If you just want to punch in a chord and hold it as an arpeggio a keystep can do that. Feed a sequencer into it for patterns maybe?

Yeah, I'm doing a lot of stuff like that RN, but it just occurred to me that maybe there was some kind of "sample and hold" type MIDI ddevice that would lend itself to improvisation and live use.

I'm kind of working around the problem but my question originated because I have this cool MIDI theremin that has an arp built in, with the typical imprecision in playing notes that you find in most theremin type devices. But the arp does deliver. But it has no way of teling it to hold like you can with some, like the one in Pigments is working with my sustain pedal on my keyboard. So the issue would be moot in that case (ED Clarificatin: I mean I'm bypassing the arp in the theremin, and using the arp in Pigments in that case, and so the use of the sustain pedal as a hold pedal makes it work better for me.) It did occur to me that somebody probably has made just what I'm thinking of though and the voice of labor has sent me on a colorful search here, Midiphy appears to have something really nice but it looks like a bit of work to build it up. I have yet to look at what Bastl has.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Start looking for a Akai ME20A

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

petit choux posted:

Cool, thanks. I don't suppose that's something that Yamaha Rem1x would do?

it's got an arpegiator. you can also do some stuff with the midi delay iirc

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Well as always that Bastl is sure appealing to me, I may buy one of them. And once again, selll some stuff to justify it ...

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I love the RM1x and it is a very capable and powerful sequencer, however to do most things with it you have to stop the clock. Probably not the best choice for something if you'd like live interaction.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Startyde posted:

I love the RM1x and it is a very capable and powerful sequencer, however to do most things with it you have to stop the clock. Probably not the best choice for something if you'd like live interaction.

ty good advice I'm sure. Been lusting after a Bastl for a long time, starting to feel weak

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I busted out the Model:Cycles today for a techno workout and that thing is still oodles of fun. Wish the battery bank didn't cause it to blow up though.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I know the Squarp Pyramid will definitely do midi looping but that's a lot of other features you're also paying for so that's a factor

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hahaha, wow chipz is a pos. Got myself Jr's first nifty bundle, and try to tune the thing, and both oscillators make the tuner have a seizure. Ok. So I use a tuner on my strega and then tune chipz by ear to the strega. Noisier waveforms than something from a company called make noise. Nice. Then the lfo would do this sudden run at 4x speed for a few cycles while I was trying to use it as a master clock. Just have to laugh at it.
I think the tune input on the upper oscillators was affecting the lfo rate.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

B33rChiller posted:

Hahaha, wow chipz is a pos. Got myself Jr's first nifty bundle, and try to tune the thing, and both oscillators make the tuner have a seizure. Ok. So I use a tuner on my strega and then tune chipz by ear to the strega. Noisier waveforms than something from a company called make noise. Nice. Then the lfo would do this sudden run at 4x speed for a few cycles while I was trying to use it as a master clock. Just have to laugh at it.
I think the tune input on the upper oscillators was affecting the lfo rate.

one (or all?) of the cv inputs on the oscillators can only take positive signals. negative signals cause lfo glitches. from their site:

quote:

Q: Weird stuff happens when I send CV from X module to chipz. 
A: Are you sending negative voltages? Chipz was designed to handle exclusively positive unipolar CV.

But when we discovered the circuit could be bent with negative CV we adopted it as a feature!

yes, chipz is a horrible pos

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I know there's a line between green manufacturer and scummy grift but sure is hard to see in the square dance.
e:
"If you are looking for an ultra-rigid company that makes super serious products that are precision-engineered to perfection [...] you probably are in the wrong place."
lol indeed

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Might as well circuitbend it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Yeah Phrygian is dope as hell, why yes I listened to a lot of Tool in high school and also still how could you tell? Lol

Mixolydian flat 6 conquers all

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Cleaned the poo poo out of my office space even more, set this up all a lot more nicely and now the corner desk is usable. That boom on the left needs to go and be replaced by wall mount buffering for the monitor but this is fine for now and a tremendous improvement.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Looks great!

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Bought a Casio CZ-1. Should be here tomorrow and I'll find out if its a piece of junk that barely works.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Cleaned the poo poo out of my office space even more, set this up all a lot more nicely and now the corner desk is usable. That boom on the left needs to go and be replaced by wall mount buffering for the monitor but this is fine for now and a tremendous improvement.

The knotty pine room of legend

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
CV Thing is loving awesome. I have a tenuous grasp on MIDI, the programming interface for the FH2 looks like I asked stableDiffusion "what if Lotus123, but on bad acid?" and FML after looking at Max8/teensy stuff trying to figure out MIDI I/O. The CV thing just works, 5 mins after it was racked I had PolyV/Oct going off of triad along with the root note to hydrasynth, using only 5 of 8 available ports (w/out the expander), and that leaves room to do something like send Pattern Change messages to Keystep on another channel or something.

This is maybe 2-3x as long as it should be, but the critical thing is that the backing triads are coming from hydra over MIDI and the arps are coming from 0coast, it's all being sequenced by Rene and it all just works: https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/23-01-10-a-bad-dream-i-guess

I am signing up for Flowkey this morning and trying to make some traction actually learning piano basics :allears: All this polyphony makes me realize I should probably have at least, like, rudimentary classical and R&B left/right stuff down, so there's a 2023 goal.

petit choux posted:

The knotty pine room of legend

House! Of legends, maybe. I do post pics like a blues dad (Synth Dad?) -- Legendary amounts of pet fur between the floorboards, legendary amounts of effort to keep water from getting in to the top and bottom. Absolutely EPIC heat bills, we're talking $1200 in firewood plus (at current prices, up 40% from last year) $1200 a year in heating oil, plus whatever electric heat we use.

edit: lol, yeah, I bet what we spend on electric rivals some people's total spending which means I'm basically burning the equivalent of a Waldorf Iridium every year for funsies :allears:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 11, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Holy poo poo, what rate do you pay for wood?
It's been a while, but I think I paid CDN$200/cord for 18" rounds of fir delivered in 2014

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Holy poo poo, what rate do you pay for wood?
It's been a while, but I think I paid CDN$200/cord for 18" rounds of fir delivered in 2014

$275/cord this year, we burn 5-6 (full 4x4x8) cords a year. Plus I bought another 2 cords for maple sugaring because I was too lazy to chop trees and split them so I guess we spent $2200

"fir" sounds like softwood? That's marginally cheaper but not nearly as efficient for heating. I use about 20% softwoods for sugaring.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Synths and synthesis: wood

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flinger posted:

Synths and synthesis: wood

Careful, have you see what chasing the perfect wood has done to the guitar community? There's no coming back from that.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

got wood, and twisting knobs

yeah, fir is softwood, but it's what grows around here. Seems you just burn more wood than I did.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Yeah what are you heating? A palace?! Here in south central BC when we had wood heat 2 or 3 chords a winter was normal.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

B33rChiller posted:

got wood, and twisting knobs

yeah, fir is softwood, but it's what grows around here. Seems you just burn more wood than I did.

SYNTH CATS?

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Rolo posted:

SYNTH CATS?

Cats like synthesizers. Here's some more footage of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9_-KrHwFHs

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Love everything about it.

Quick question: Is there any difference between effects pedals that are made specifically for guitar I should know about? I’m going to get a new fuzz pedal for my amp eventually and I’d love to plug other stuff into it just to see how it sounds.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

Quick question: Is there any difference between effects pedals that are made specifically for guitar I should know about? I’m going to get a new fuzz pedal for my amp eventually and I’d love to plug other stuff into it just to see how it sounds.

From my understanding;

Some pedals can handle line level signals, some can't. Probably none can properly handle modular levels.

What will happen if you send a line level signal to a pedal that can only handle instrument levels? Guess it depends. Most likely it will clip. If you are really unlucky it could damage the circuit (I think?)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rolo posted:

from what I've heard, the main idea is to attenuate lots before putting your signal into a pedal designed with guitars in mind.
Jorb has a good series on using guitar pedals with synths.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmfjTzhh8pCY7Ps0C-0V0Ns_mCG-ovkFc&feature=shares

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Cool thanks!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

im_sorry posted:

Hell yeah

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BKuXESDJS0

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

im_sorry posted:

cats never change

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

I just raw dog straight into my pedals but I also only buy cheap rear end Joyo pedals so that's a factor

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

InternetOfTwinks posted:

I just raw dog straight into my pedals but I also only buy cheap rear end Joyo pedals so that's a factor

Have you noticed them to have a cleaner sound if you have your synth turned down before going in, vs full blast?
Edit: haha, yeah I was thinking this is sort of the idea, if you're looking for distortion. full tilt, clip the hell out of the signal, mangle it up. But if you're looking at a ring mod pedal, or phaser, autowah, or envelope filter, you might want to use a little more finesse with your levels. Especially anything using an envelope follower. They can be a little touchy if they're set for guitar levels, and they get hit with a modular level sawtooth.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 12, 2023

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Uh, most of the time the first thing it's running into is a distortion pedal so uh... no lol. I can experiment around though, see what seems to work best. I usually keep the volume on all my gear at about noon anyhow, gives me some headroom to play with when getting everything sounding right together. Except for the Electribe, for whatever reason that thing is quiet as hell compared to my other gear so I have to keep it dimed at all times.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

B33rChiller posted:

Have you noticed them to have a cleaner sound if you have your synth turned down before going in, vs full blast?
Edit: haha, yeah I was thinking this is sort of the idea, if you're looking for distortion. full tilt, clip the hell out of the signal, mangle it up. But if you're looking at a ring mod pedal, or phaser, autowah, or envelope filter, you might want to use a little more finesse with your levels.

I pretend my synth's volume is a boost pedal. It's another thing to dial in for sweet spots.

Also hell yeah, cheap rear end pedals are the best

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Doing a bit of that right now. Got the nifty bundle and had to yank the stock modules, mostly due to lack of power plugs, not hp surprisingly!
I looped the pocket metal pedal in to the chronoblob feedback path.

https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/dunk-doot

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

$275/cord this year, we burn 5-6 (full 4x4x8) cords a year. Plus I bought another 2 cords for maple sugaring because I was too lazy to chop trees and split them so I guess we spent $2200

"fir" sounds like softwood? That's marginally cheaper but not nearly as efficient for heating. I use about 20% softwoods for sugaring.

"Fir" sounds like coniferous to me. Far as I know you don't want to burn any conifers in wood stoves really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

InternetOfTwinks posted:

And I do with Boss pedals. Offhand I haven't seen any recently that can only work with low impedence signals but I'm sure there are some. If you can run a keyboard through it you should be good.