Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cthulu Carl posted:

Like when Fortnite had NFL jerseys and there was a bunch of people running around in Hernandez jerseys gunning people down?

Also Vick skins with the dog backpacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

You telling me nobody ever ran around Fortnite with a combat knife in a Bills #32 jersey?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

Like when Fortnite had NFL jerseys and there was a bunch of people running around in Hernandez jerseys gunning people down?

Holy poo poo lmao

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Kalli posted:

Also Vick skins with the dog backpacks.

Hahahaha

People need to have a better sense of humor. This shits gold.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

You telling me nobody ever ran around Fortnite with a combat knife in a Bills #32 jersey?

Don't worry the memelords were way ahead of you

Also Plaxico Burress with a pistol and kneeling Kaepernicks

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rae Carruth with a shotgun?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

mdemone posted:

Rae Carruth with a shotgun?
Leonard Little weaving around in a tank.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

It’s also a long trip in a bumpy ambulance. Those airplanes are designed for transporting people in a flying intensive care room.

Dude is a millionaire and suffered a workplace cardiac arrest as an employee of a multibillion dollar league. He didn’t bump down the road in a lovely interfacility van with 400k miles on it like some random impoverished dialysis patient.

While I do think it's highly likely he did fly back on a medical plane, a quick google tells me the drive was probably 3 hours if perhaps flying was contraindicated with his lungs or what have you. And I will say this from my private IFT life in the past, the newest and best units and crews were the ones sent on transports to/from airports as well as longer distance rides, so if I were to broadly assuming all private companies have rotating stock that includes newer trucks - if Damar was taken by road it would have been in a unit less than a year old with perhaps even a 3 person crew (2 medics (crit care/vent certs), 1 emt). Yeah a flight would be smoother but an E-350 van ambulance with new suspension is pretty smooth if not driven by a moron.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

tangy yet delightful posted:

While I do think it's highly likely he did fly back on a medical plane, a quick google tells me the drive was probably 3 hours if perhaps flying was contraindicated with his lungs or what have you. And I will say this from my private IFT life in the past, the newest and best units and crews were the ones sent on transports to/from airports as well as longer distance rides, so if I were to broadly assuming all private companies have rotating stock that includes newer trucks - if Damar was taken by road it would have been in a unit less than a year old with perhaps even a 3 person crew (2 medics (crit care/vent certs), 1 emt). Yeah a flight would be smoother but an E-350 van ambulance with new suspension is pretty smooth if not driven by a moron.

I’m just being grumpy about EMS in general and I’m sure whatever service took him would’ve extended their best crews, if not an MD ride.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

Please tell me the wormhole Google found to allow you to get from Cincinnati to Buffalo in three hours by car

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

taht guy most likely thought it was cleveland. no need to get chippy or snippy

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Maybe pittsburgh. So don't get slippy

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I can tell you from experience that driving from Cincinnati to Buffalo takes a hell of a lot longer than 3 hours.

I was actually en route from Cincinnati to Buffalo when the manas steak was posted.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

Please tell me the wormhole Google found to allow you to get from Cincinnati to Buffalo in three hours by car

I think I had looked up the drive last night when I was under the influence and just checking now, I input Cleveland instead of Cincinnati. So simply pretend you are in a totally different city in Ohio that starts with C that also has an NFL team and it's quite easy :v:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i've done it

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The doctors said during the news conference that he boarded a flight, just to clear that up.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

I used to play hockey on Xbox Live as #16 Chuck Whitman. He was a sniper.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/BuffaloBills/status/1613211636990644224?t=KMJaTmzz4yr-nOgbNPPQow&s=19

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:woop:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Incredible!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Hamlin gonna be at the Bills/Dolphins game* and when he's shown on the Jumbotron the place will erupt.

*hopefully as a spectator.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Is it wrong to hope he never plays another down of football?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I'm happy to hear this.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Darth Brooks posted:

Is it wrong to hope he never plays another down of football?

Yes, if he loves football and wants to keep playing it then ideally he would

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my initial thought was that no team would risk fielding him ever again but it's true that time sucks all wounds except for cte, spontaneous death, etc.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If docs sign off that it was a total freak accident and there is no more risk now than there was before, I don't see why he shouldn't be able to. Seems like there could also easily be previously unknown risk factors for him that make it a terrible idea. But my feeling on it all comes down to what the medical professionals say.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That's right. i agree with you guys and i said the same thing you're saying.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hamlin seems like a guy who will be hellbent on being ready to start by Week 1.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
There is no way upon the green and gay Earth of God that Hamlin doesn't play week 1, 2023-4 if he wants to do it. He is going to be a poster boy for the NFL Ownership to show that Yes, We Do Care About Our Talent And Help Them Recover To Their Best™ to try and deflect away from all the other meat-grinding this past year in particular has seen (see: Tagovailoa not getting to play this coming game). They know tons of eyes are on Hamlin and that just ejecting him for anything short of a somehow-previously-missed heart defect that makes the risk of this happening again obvious would look absurdly bad, and even that would be devastating and call the quality of NFL health screening into question.

The NFL needs him to play again and have a long career, if anything. It is completely in his hands and from the sound of things, he wants to keep going.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Remember when Ryan Shazier tried to make a comeback despite temporarily being paralyzed from the waist down?

Unless Hamlin says "no I'm done" he's gonna make a comeback.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
What an incredible outcome. Full credit to the medical staff that saved his life and his ability to fight back. Assuming he wants to keep playing (sure seems like he does), I hope he gets back to 100% and back on the field next season.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Do we know what exactly caused the heart attack? Was it a heart defect or did the impact of the hit mess with his heart's rhythm in some way or was it something else?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Do we know what exactly caused the heart attack? Was it a heart defect or did the impact of the hit mess with his heart's rhythm in some way or was it something else?

It was commotio cordis, which is the latter part of your question.

If he had presented any kind of heart defect at all, we would have already been told about it (because the league would want to deflect the idea that ordinary football collisions can cause your heart to stop).

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

mdemone posted:

Thanks! I've heard of that happening to people getting hit in the chest with hockey pucks, golf balls, or tennis balls, but with the amount of hits in football, I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mdemone posted:

If he had presented any kind of heart defect at all, we would have already been told about it (because the league would want to deflect the idea that ordinary football collisions can cause your heart to stop).

Do we know this for certain? All I see online is rampant speculation

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Thanks! I've heard of that happening to people getting hit in the chest with hockey pucks, golf balls, or tennis balls, but with the amount of hits in football, I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen more often.

It has to be a direct hit in a fairly compact area, which is when it happens in other sports. However the pads of football players absorb some of that energy and even more importantly, they dissipate the rest of the energy into a larger area. That's why it is extremely rare in football (but there are a few recorded instances aside from Hamlin).

It's just speculation, but maybe a hard edge of his padding was right in the right spot and transferred all the kinetic energy directly

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Docjowles posted:

Do we know this for certain? All I see online is rampant speculation

If it was any other condition, the NFL would be shouting it from the rooftops, because they don't want the specter of commotio cordis looming over fans' football experience.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tayter Swift posted:

Hamlin seems like a guy who will be hellbent on being ready to start by Week 1.

I'll go one further and say that if the Bills make it to the super bowl Hamlin will be suited up for at least one play.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Or, on the other hand, this is private medical information and the NFL doesn't get to decide what is disclosed to the public? I actually don't know the answer to this, I know there's usually but not always announcements about why a player misses a game, sometimes it's just due to "illness" with nothing specified but I don't know who gets to decide what is announced.

What specter of commotio cordis? As far as we know this is the first time it's ever happened in NFL history. There's a specter of CTE looming over fans' football experience and it's vastly worse.

I think regardless of the diagnosis, if Hamlin plays again, everyone's gonna be holding their drat breath every time he takes or delivers a hit. And I sure wouldn't want to be the first player to run into the guy, presumably one of his own teammates in practice long before an NFL game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

mdemone posted:

If it was any other condition, the NFL would be shouting it from the rooftops, because they don't want the specter of commotio cordis looming over fans' football experience.

It's entirely possible that they don't actually know yet and that not everything is some vast NFL conspiracy