Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Probably too much thought into this: I feel like the biggest issue with Ubisoft is that they began splitting themselves between some of the largest AAA titles, in terms of content packed in with the recent ACs, where even folks who I know that stick up for them say "do not do everything, do not do all the sidequests", where comments that an extra 20+ hour campaign coming after the main game is seen as a threat... and then the other side of the company for ages now has been "We put out a lot of B- and C-tier titles on Switch, maybe it'll get ported to something else", and those latter ones have been really, really carved back in recent years as the larger stuff takes on more manpower and the corporation as a whole gets dragged into larger and larger boondoggles taking people away from anything. Skull & Bones, Beyond Good and Evil 2, these have been kicking around for a bit now, and meanwhile there's the sex pest/management problems causing more chaos internally...

The first sign to me that there were gonna be problems coming down the road was when they expanded some of those smaller titles to PC for a year or so, up to and including Just Dance for a year, and then got terminally afraid that they'd destroyed their money printing machine because people could mod JD on a computer, so they shuttered it and never brought it back. Nevermind that there's a thriving Switch community for the same thing!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

far cry 2 was a legitimately innovative game that did a ton of cool stuff in a way that's shocking for ubisoft even if there are some real tedious flaws

Also this. I'm so mad that the closest thing we got to picking up that torch was MGSV, nearly a decade later, a game that had its own problems but was still a cool gem which also screams "haha, never agaiiiiiiiiin" as it fades like a photo in Back to the Future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

I remember seeing write-ups for Far Cry 3 and thinking "holy poo poo these guys are doing something completely new and incredible!"

Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like there was a time when Ubisoft actually made cool poo poo.

I honestly feel they were in a pretty sweet spot in around 2013-2014. Asscreed Black Flag and Far Cry 3 genuinely didn’t feel stale, but on top of that there were small projects like Child of Light, Valiant Hearts and Might and Magic X that I really enjoyed.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Harvey Smith recently invoked Far Cry 2 when talking about Redfall and I’m curious to find out what that means.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
far cry 3's most innovative feature was having a minor character deliver a Joker Monologue in a scene that exists to get E3 buzz

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
By the way, WD: Legion was Clint Hocking's first game with Ubisoft since he left after Far Cry 2.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ubisoft trying to be edgy was really funny, does anyone remember the marketing for canceled project Rainbow 6 Patriots

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think they realized they crossed a line. They've had a number of controversial looking things since, but it always turns out to actually be quite safe.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ubisoft trying to be edgy was really funny, does anyone remember the marketing for canceled project Rainbow 6 Patriots

is that the one where the villains are BLM or is it a different one?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

K8.0 posted:

FC3 was mildly to moderately innovative, FC2 is the one they deserve more credit for. It failed in a lot of ways but actually did some cool stuff for its time.

Assassins Creed was basically the downfall of Ubisoft. They basically started making everything into open world collectathon timewasters after that franchise inexplicably took off. That and AAA publishers in general kind of ran out of steam around that era. Ubisoft just seems to refuse to divert from the path of being garbage. Even EA at least had some major breakout titles like the Mass Effect trilogy, Dead Space, and some other games like some Battlefields and Titanfall that bought them some good will. Ubisoft pretty much has nothing to redeem itself in the eyes of people who hate what the AAA scene has become.

Even within Assassin's Creed it was a slow decline into the Ubisoft formula we know today. I don't think the complete giving up of any sort of innovation sets in until, like, Unity.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was that you were gunning for CEOs, of banks! Or the people in the lone trailer were. I do not believe that game got far after that initial announcement.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

secretly best girl posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was that you were gunning for CEOs, of banks! Or the people in the lone trailer were. I do not believe that game got far after that initial announcement.

the amount of free press they'd get for the outrage would be worth millions if they'd actually commit to any of the subversive ideas their games flirt with at a 12 year old level

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Deakul posted:

Sail Forth looks really promising too, seems to have a bit of everything that one could possibly want out of a new Sid Meier's Pirates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0QebjUzOHg

Anyone have impressions of it already?

There was a post about it in the Fresh Releases thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3901275&pagenumber=122&perpage=40#post528627762

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

victrix posted:

the amount of free press they'd get for the outrage would be worth millions if they'd actually commit to any of the subversive ideas their games flirt with at a 12 year old level

It turns out that a) I was indeed remembering this correctly and b) boy, they flirted even harder before killing it:

quote:

Team Rainbow is called to New York City to deal with a terrorist group calling itself the 'True Patriots'. Styling themselves as a populist militia group, the True Patriots have taken it upon themselves to act as judge, jury, and executioner on behalf and avenging the alleged victims of what they see as Wall Street corruption. To complicate the situation, the new leader of Team Rainbow is James Wolfe, a former Navy SEAL who believes ethics are irrelevant in dealing with the True Patriots. As Echo Leader, a man who looks up to Wolfe as a father figure, they must stop the True Patriots at all costs; even at the price of their own personal morality.

[...]

At E3 2013, Ubisoft confirmed that the game remained in development, but would now be produced for eighth generation consoles. It had also been confirmed that players would also be able to play as the True Patriots in some capacity.

On June 9, 2014, it was announced that Patriots and its concept was scrapped.

And the trailer itself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLhALiOnvs8

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

e;fb

I've never heard of the game before but just looking around online, it apparently focused on an domestic terrorist organization calling themselves "True Patriots...avenging the alleged victims of what they see as Wall Street corruption."

"To complicate the situation, the new leader of Team Rainbow is James Wolfe, a former Navy SEAL who believes ethics are irrelevant in dealing with the True Patriots. As Echo Leader, a man who looks up to Wolfe as a father figure, they must stop the True Patriots at all costs; even at the price of their own personal morality."

So I guess a terrorist group is killing bankers and financial executives and you're part of a Rainbow org run by a psychopath who will do whatever it takes to stop them and maintain the status quo.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

New on Fanatical:

Build your own Play on the go bundle- New year edition
Neon Abyss
Lethal League Blaze
Roundguard
Blacksad
Daymare
Time Loader
Tesla Force
Toodee
Topdee
Everhood
Golf Club Wasteland
Lacuna
Cats in time
3000th Duel
Kill it with fire
Hellbound
Caveblazers
Lawn Mowing Sim
Payday 2
Nongunz:Doppelganger edition

3 for $4.99/5 for $6.99/8 for $9.99

Superhot is $6.25 for the next 17 hours in Fanatical Star Deal
https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/superhot

New on Humblebundle
Wadjeteye game bundle

$10 for:
Unavowed
Strangeland
Primordia
Shardlight
Technobabylon
Resonance
The balckwell legacy
Blackwell unbound
Blackwell convergence
Blackwell Deception
Blackwell epiphany
Gemini Rue
The Shivah
33% coupon off for The excavation Hob's Barrow
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/wadjeteye-sixteen-years-of-adventure?partner=nintendeal

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Sid Meier's Pirates!

thread title

Not an empty quote. Pirates! is a great game

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Didn't The Division 2 have a nearly identical problem as well, trying to make the enemies 'roving BLM antifa gangs'

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

pentyne posted:

Didn't The Division 2 have a nearly identical problem as well, trying to make the enemies 'roving BLM antifa gangs'

Division's story is really cool on the surface and increasingly unhinged to a hilarious degree when you look closer

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

very Tom Clancy now that I think about it

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

turns out the politics of the government murder squad games are kinda hosed up

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

turns out the politics of the government murder squad games are kinda hosed up

They should make a game that highlights those aspects.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

further evidence that Cruelty Squad owns

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Division 1 did kind of lean into the idea that the titular Division weren't really the good guys at all, especially considering the endgame gang are just remnants of the first Division before your cell was activated and you make things worse everywhere you go. Anyway who cares shoot shoot shoot!!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Did you have a gun?

Did your neighbor?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

zoux posted:

They should make a game that highlights those aspects.

they made two!

and did nothing with it

the sequel was offensively milquetoast, because the first game you could almost mentally get on board with your gang of government sleeper agents murdering everyone to hold a crumbling society together

but the sequel happens after it's very clear that there is no new normal, and they could have easily built a story looking at what it would mean to have that power against a range of ideologies-as-gangs in the world

they did absolutely none of that, and the dlc to 2 was more storyline navel gazing

I probably wouldn't give a poo poo at all, but as a game, division had a lot of really fun elements, an amazing engine, beautiful graphics, and an absolutely killer OST

the writing? not so much

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Anno posted:

Maybe there’s a better thread for this, but, parent goons of the Steam thread, can you recommend anything for my almost-5 year old to play? She’s been asking for awhile now to try games, and has played a little of this little of that, but I’d like something pretty much just for her that she can play either with a controller or mostly the mouse to help her develop those skills a bit.

My kids love Trombone Champ.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Tom Clancy's The Division 2 had the fake press release about Mexico building a wall to keep the infected American hordes from crossing their border, in 2019:

I'm also annoyed that we probably won't get another Michael Ironside Splinter Cell game, and his return as Sam Fischer will be limited to cameo appearances in the last two Ghost Recon games. Like someone already mentioned, Blacklist was pretty good and feels like they went back to Chaos Theory for inspiration, instead of making Conviction 2. I've said it before, but I think Splinter Cell: Conviction (and Hitman: Absolution) would have been better as a Jason Bourne game.

Conviction is responsible for bringing Elias Toufexis into the series, though, so it's not entirely bad.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ghost Recon Wildlands is a fun game but Ubisoft had to apologise to the nation of Bolivia after they made it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, there are far too few capital ship spacegames around. Let me captain a single big-rear end battlecruiser, directing gun batteries, dispatching fighter squadrons, and launching giant missile salvoes. But it seems like almost all games that aim for that scale are either higher-scope strategy games or the endgame of clunky 4xs.

I don't think they needed to move up to even that scale for a theoretical sequel. I would have been perfectly happy with mostly the same. And more of the terribly awesome/awesomely terrible soundtrack.

I have been enjoying Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 for much the same reasons but that's kind of a 4X.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

Ghost Recon Wildlands is a fun game but Ubisoft had to apologise to the nation of Bolivia after they made it.

Yeah it's like a Far Cry story but played completely straight and set in a real country. Not great. Gameplay's alright though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

further evidence that Cruelty Squad owns

it’s been almost 30 seconds since we had a cruelty squad is extremely good derail so let me chime in that cruelty squad is incredibly good and the people writing it off as a troll game are doing themselves a disservice

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

victrix posted:

very Tom Clancy now that I think about it

I still every so often have to take a moment to remember just how batshit insane (and racist!) The Bear and The Dragon was, and then remember that I've been told his books got even MORE unhinged after that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kibayasu posted:

Every time I see a spaceship fighting/trading game it reminds me that I wish Rebel Galaxy kept with its 2D plane Age of Sail gameplay for the follow-up rather than trying to make Privateer again. Everyone always tries to make Privateer again.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, there are far too few capital ship spacegames around. Let me captain a single big-rear end battlecruiser, directing gun batteries, dispatching fighter squadrons, and launching giant missile salvoes. But it seems like almost all games that aim for that scale are either higher-scope strategy games or the endgame of clunky 4xs.

Oh is it finally time for me to bitch that I'm so tired of space games being the exact same mine/trade/shoot pirates/become pirate sandbox over and over and over? Once in a blue moon somebody makes a mission-based dogfight game instead, but unfortunately for me I'm not really into those either.

The only games I can think of that do anything even slightly differently are Chrous (which is still a dogfighter), Hardspace Shipbreaker which is its own totally different niche, and then uhhhh...the space parts of the most recent Lego Star Wars? I guess there was Starlink, but that was all terrestrial pew pewing. Basically the same problem where they keep making super crunchy mech games whereas I want dumb fun mecha games.

Like I guess a case can be made for Rebel Galaxy and Everspace 1 sort-of counting for reasons? I wouldn't count 6dof shooters, though. It's a shockingly shallow pool of choices either way.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Out of curiosity, what type of space game are you wanting? It's just a setting, and there's not much to recommend it unless you're doing space-only stuff, which is typically ships going pew-pew.

There's spacey role playing games, spacey 4X's, spacey RTS's, spacey FPS's (which you don't like), spacey ship tactics games (ditto), spacey roguelikes, so on so forth. I think only the RPGs didn't have lasers going pew.

For controlling a single massive ship, there was Dreadnaught, and honestly F2P aside, I don't think it'd be a cool game anyways as controlling a single hero unit gets boring quickly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Wildlands is a really fun shooter where you can set up all kinds of fun ambushes and action set pieces and 100 kill stealth ops. The squad mechanics are great, the map is huge, the weapons are essentially aesthetic so it’s about maneuver and finesse. Breakpoint is a loving disaster of a game where they took what was a cult favorite and tried to turn it into a looter shooter and ended having to retroactively invent something resembling the mechanics of the first one but didn’t quite get there. Not to mention bullet sponge drones loving everywhere and changing the player character from a nameless cypher into a somehow even broodier Marcus Fenix. They laid out a lot of cash to get John Berenthal to mocap the villain so every cutscene is these two dudes growling and grimacing at each other.

Then a year ago they announce GR: Frontline and now it’s a multiplayer battle royale and the fan base went into a berserker rage and the backlash was so vitriolic they had to apologize, announce they were rethinking the direction of the game, and they ended up canceling the game six months later.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

sebmojo posted:

check out the monomyth demo, it's basically deus ex dark souls. Simple and fairly short demo, but nails the vibe and doing immersive sim stuff in an intricately interlinked dark souls castle is surprisingly engrossing. the dev was aiming for end of 2022 but is still putting out regular progress videos - def worth wishlisting.

Missed this from yesterday but thanks for posting, looks neat & I wishlisted.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

zoux posted:

Wildlands is a really fun shooter where you can set up all kinds of fun ambushes and action set pieces and 100 kill stealth ops. The squad mechanics are great, the map is huge, the weapons are essentially aesthetic so it’s about maneuver and finesse. Breakpoint is a loving disaster of a game where they took what was a cult favorite and tried to turn it into a looter shooter and ended having to retroactively invent something resembling the mechanics of the first one but didn’t quite get there. Not to mention bullet sponge drones loving everywhere and changing the player character from a nameless cypher into a somehow even broodier Marcus Fenix. They laid out a lot of cash to get John Berenthal to mocap the villain so every cutscene is these two dudes growling and grimacing at each other.

Then a year ago they announce GR: Frontline and now it’s a multiplayer battle royale and the fan base went into a berserker rage and the backlash was so vitriolic they had to apologize, announce they were rethinking the direction of the game, and they ended up canceling the game six months later.

If I ever pick one up in a sale, which should I get?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Serephina posted:

Out of curiosity, what type of space game are you wanting? It's just a setting, and there's not much to recommend it unless you're doing space-only stuff, which is typically ships going pew-pew.

There's spacey role playing games, spacey 4X's, spacey RTS's, spacey FPS's (which you don't like), spacey ship tactics games (ditto), spacey roguelikes, so on so forth. I think only the RPGs didn't have lasers going pew.

For controlling a single massive ship, there was Dreadnaught, and honestly F2P aside, I don't think it'd be a cool game anyways as controlling a single hero unit gets boring quickly.

Something full 3D with action and open world elements (or really just any kind of tangible exploration, doesn't have to be a full blown Ubisoft iconfest), but without relying on the same repeated sandbox formula where you toil away space trucking between generic space stations so you can afford to make numbers go up a tiny bit and exploration takes the form of "sometimes you see a pretty skybox". Like I want to zip my little ship inbetween the wreckage of some huge gently caress-off dreadnought to retrieve some cool bespoke weapon, then when pirates inevitably ambush me I can use the terrain to my advantage. It's probably going to sound dumb as hell, but basically the same kind of well-rounded experience as something like the Arkham games or Tomb Raider or something but you just happen to be in a spaceship. Explore/sneak/fight, find collectibles or upgrades, mild RPG elements instead of insanely meticulous and granular ship customization.

Or to say it in a different, snarky way the absolute complete opposite of Elite Dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's straight up not what you're looking for, but i'd stick it on your wishlist for a steam sale someplace: ace combat 7 is like starfox with a bit of a progression mechanic over a campaign and it's something that really hit me good and you might like it

edit: sorry, i posted that weird, as someone who didn't like mission based campaign dogfighters up until that point, ace combat 7 hit me just right, is where that's coming from. but yeah, wait for a deep steam sale before you give it a shot

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 12, 2023