Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I played it out on Lichess's stockfish thing and it liked:

1. f4 h5

Then the whole thing goes a bit nuts and white finally finds mate 32 moves later.

CubicalSucrose posted:

New Year Resolutions to play more chess?

I bought Clubhouse games to play air hockey with my kids over Thanksgiving break at my in-laws. I was able to beat "Impossible" difficulty on Mancala, Backgammon, Gomoku, Hex, etc. But I couldn't beat medium on chess, and this made me angry. Month or so later, here I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Hand Knit posted:

I played around with this a bit. It looks like black has the idea of h5 and Qh7, forcing white's bishop to retreat. White maintains a positional advantage but you still have to be careful on defence against both g5 and h4 ideas.

Ah, yes, Qh7 is a move I didn’t see.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

Chess.com is having major issues because of record players and Hikaru peaked at 40k viewers today. Looks like another chess boom.

But, why is there another chess boom right now?

Chess has been getting a lot of visibility as a game where you can have fun playing, and also people like me come back to it on a 6 month rotation to play godawful chess at people for a few weeks

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also its one of the few F2P games without a monetization scheme baked in. Truly ahead of its time.........

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Control Volume posted:

Also its one of the few F2P games without a monetization scheme baked in. Truly ahead of its time.........

Then why is that boom happening on the server built around a monetization scheme? Instead of the other one.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

Then why is that boom happening on the server built around a monetization scheme? Instead of the other one.

capitalism... :911:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I watched Queen's Gambit a few months ago.

I think I looked at a video analyzing one or two of the games shown in the series. Then I started seeing coffee chess vids show up in my youtube algo recommended vids and watched one or two. That led me to more chess vids, and eventually to installing a chess app on my kindle, and then chess.com and then when I read up on the recent controversy and found out about the monopoly/magnus' company etc., I moved to lichess.

So I blame Queen's Gambit.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How many games do I need to play before I stop playing to a huge advantage then hanging my queen while I tunnel vision mate in 2?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think this comes from taking mental notes about piece x-rays on the turns prior to the blunder. Its natural to think one piece blunders are prevented on the turn you made them, but I think it happens earlier than that for good players.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's exactly what it is. My brain is going, "OK Q is in place and safe. Rook here, rook here, mate. OK, did their move stop that first rook move? No?"

But I do miss that it revealed an attack on the piece I'm not thinking about.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Huxley posted:

How many games do I need to play before I stop playing to a huge advantage then hanging my queen while I tunnel vision mate in 2?

I have played 17,876 games on chesscom so more than that

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

VictualSquid posted:

Chess.com made a good investment paying for their URL. They have all their advertising now, obviously, but given the fact that there aren't a lot of things you can do to differentiate yourself to a first time user as a chess website (basic opponent matching and the chess interface are pretty straightforward features), I think the fact that they are just chess.com makes a big difference.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Hand Knit posted:

Here's a position from my game last night. When I was playing I thought that I'd hosed up and was maybe lost, but on review it looks like I actually played it pretty accurately and was ahead the whole time. Even the move I thought was terrible was apparently the only way to play for an advantage. So that's cool.

Anyway, here's a key position from late in the game. White to move. It's not a tactic like you'd regularly see used for a puzzle, but you do have to calculate. What does white play?

To wrap this up with the game line, while people found the idea of dislodging the queen by attacking along the 7-rank, you can also double the rooks and try to dislodge the queen by attacking the rook along the 8-rank.

The game line continued: 25.f4 Bg4 26.Red2 Rh5 27.Rd8 +/- Rh3? (black had to play 27...Qe7 to maintain drawing chances) 28. Rxf8+ Qxf8 29.Kg2 (29. Rd8 doesn't work since black can play Rxg3+) Qe7 30. Rd8+ Kf7 31.Qg7+ Ke6 32.Qg8+ (apparently 32. f5+ is a mate in 9) Kf5 33.Rf8+ Ke4 34.Re8 +- black played on until mate.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sub Rosa posted:

Chess.com is having major issues because of record players and Hikaru peaked at 40k viewers today. Looks like another chess boom.

But, why is there another chess boom right now?

everybody loves anal beads

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rapid game, opponent's rating is 1182, what's the winning play for White?

I find that I can't play well when I'm trying to play like a grandmaster. The key to my style is that I don't like playing with queens - I don't understand them, so if I can make a queen exchange early I'm probably going to win. And I win a lot of games by simply hanging on until my opponent makes a blunder.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
a4 is certainly the most clever option, but then if they don’t take the bait and just play …f3 or something you’re scrambling to not get mated

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Spokes posted:

a4 is certainly the most clever option, but then if they don’t take the bait and just play …f3 or something you’re scrambling to not get mated

My opponent took the bait and I won. I knew I'd never get a better chance to cause a blunder.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah alternatively black can still win the a pawn there with 1…Kc7 2. Na5 Rxa4

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

T.C. posted:

Chess.com made a good investment paying for their URL. They have all their advertising now, obviously, but given the fact that there aren't a lot of things you can do to differentiate yourself to a first time user as a chess website (basic opponent matching and the chess interface are pretty straightforward features), I think the fact that they are just chess.com makes a big difference.

I've played on both websites and apps and I prefer chess.com. There's something really subtle I prefer about the experience, I don't even know what it is but there's something about lichess that turns me off. I know you can change the piece set and sounds on lichess but it's not enough. Either the speed at which the pieces move or something, but I have a hard time focusing on the board on lichess.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I like always being able to get a game in a couple seconds, chess com seems to have a much larger bullet player base.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

stratdax posted:

I've played on both websites and apps and I prefer chess.com. There's something really subtle I prefer about the experience, I don't even know what it is but there's something about lichess that turns me off. I know you can change the piece set and sounds on lichess but it's not enough. Either the speed at which the pieces move or something, but I have a hard time focusing on the board on lichess.

I used to feel like this, then I switched to the lichess theme that was closest to the chess.com default and after a few days I was used to it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

new scandi sideline just dropped

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i am extremely bad at bullet chess so i get hilarious games like this all the time

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
https://lichess.org/training/LkIYK

lichess puzzle of the day is a banger today!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

love it

incredibly quick solve approaching it as a puzzle, completely impossible for me to find in a real game lmao

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

”SAC THE QUEEN” is my very first thought in every puzzle and my very last one in a game

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Spokes posted:

love it

incredibly quick solve approaching it as a puzzle, completely impossible for me to find in a real game lmao

Yeah lol. I've been watching a lot of IM John Bartholomew's videos and he seems to be able to find these kinds of lines. I also like how he talks through his thought process during games even if they are like 5 min blitz matches. Really useful for someone who's around 1100.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spokes posted:

love it

I feel like it's an issue, that you know it's a puzzle and therefore solvable and therefore you're going to study it till you find the solution you know exists.

If like at least 50% of these puzzles were intentionally unsolvable and you had exactly one chance to either solve the puzzle or declare it unsolvable and then that's your answer, that'd probably be more "realistic" training?

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer

Leperflesh posted:

I feel like it's an issue, that you know it's a puzzle and therefore solvable and therefore you're going to study it till you find the solution you know exists.

If like at least 50% of these puzzles were intentionally unsolvable and you had exactly one chance to either solve the puzzle or declare it unsolvable and then that's your answer, that'd probably be more "realistic" training?

I would love to know if that exists somewhere. I'm a returning player and I've been having a hell of a time getting somewhat decent again. If anyone wants to play me in correspondence on lichess I'm fps_nug on there, kick my rear end

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Leperflesh posted:

That's why I only do puzzles

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

A puzzle that never actually ends and just throws you into a game against Stockfish 14 from an equal midgame

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, or not seeing the whole idea but seeing a clever couple move combination that your figure must be the start and just throwing that out there.

Like, if there's a rook lined up on the pawn in front of a king and a knight somewhere by the king, in going to sac the rook or throw a check with the knight if I can't see the full idea, even if it seems like I'm throwing away material.

It's not worthless, because that's clearly still pattern recognition, it's just not at a level yet where it's useful in a game

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

that's a nice one thanks for sharing

i think it's ...Nh3++ Kh1 Qg1+ Rxg1 Nf2#

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

A double check, a queen sac, and a (sort of) smothered mate, beautiful....

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Yep, you both got it - nice!

The position that seeded the puzzle came up in a 5+0 blitz match between two 1500 lichess players, but they didn’t find the sequence in the game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It took me a depressingly long amount of time to notice the revealed check by moving the knight but once I had that I got it in about a minute. Nice puzzle!

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Haha, I just played a game where I knew I had a bad opening and came out down a piece, but then thought I turned it around tactically and supported all my pieces well at the end to take things back.

After it was over I thought to myself "That was really good chess"

Then I asked the computer... I'm on the right. And yeah no I blundered stuff all over the place and was down eight points at one point if the other guy had seen it. Just hanging stuff. Basically a game where I alternated between playing the best move and playing absolute garbage.

At least it's exciting!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Has there ever been a game where both players' moves were forced for multiple turns, and it didn't end in a draw? Has anyone figured out the longest possible sequence of mutual forced moves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't understand how the computer calculates that a move was brilliant. I can understand how it finds the best line by calculating 25 moves ahead or whatever, and I understand how it calculates that a move is blundering away a piece if your opponent notices something fairly obvious. But how can it tell the difference between simply making the best move, and making one that is "surprisingly good" in some way?