Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think it’s probably a Phase 6 thing. I think maybe we get Patriot in Cap 4 and that triggers it with Kate, Cassie, and some combo of America, Kamala, and Ironheart as the announced roster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I've been thinking for a while it's gonna be the stinger at the end of Ironheart, do a sort of homage to the original Iron Man/Nick Fury stinger.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

twistedmentat posted:

I am very surprised they haven't announced some kind of young Avengers show.

There have been rumors about Young Avengers happening since at least 2016 and at this point I just want it to be over and done with so the rumormongers can move on to something else.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess the theory I’ve seen is that Secret Invasion is gonna end with a kind of Dark Reign fallout into New World Order, Thunderbolts, Armor Wars, and Ironheart? So my guess is it will come towards the end there as kind of a hopeful response to a darker progression? So maybe a teaser after Thunderbolts? But Cap or Ironheart kinda makes sense too. Just kind of in that general area I think.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The Young Avengers aren’t exactly young in the MCU

They’re just gonna be the Avengers

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

The Young Avengers aren’t exactly young in the MCU

They’re just gonna be the Avengers

Younger Avengers.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

So, the HFPA are a bunch of fuckos, but still, neat
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1612987915126165506

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

howe_sam posted:

So, the HFPA are a bunch of fuckos, but still, neat
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1612987915126165506

She gave a very big performance but she also nailed it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

There have been rumors about Young Avengers happening since at least 2016 and at this point I just want it to be over and done with so the rumormongers can move on to something else.

They're gonna wait until it's been long enough that they can put Morgan Stark in a suit without her being just a little kid.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ironheart is right there

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

glitchwraith posted:

From 57 seconds into the trailer. You see him following Kang on the left side of the screen.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Wakanda Forever was massively underwhelming and I have zero desire to ever rewatch it, but Angela Bassett was glorious and deserves that award (and all the awards, honestly).

I really wish the Ironheart show had come first, or that she wasn't introduced in this movie, as despite the film being 20 hours long I came out knowing nothing about her at all. She's just a college student who is apparently super smart (so we're told) who built a vibranium, detector (offscreen) and an iron man suit (offscreen) and has apparently been using that suit (offscreen) to do... uh, stuff? You don't see a single friend or family member, so the only relationships she has are with the strangers who turn up to abduct her (both nicely and not so nicely). it's incredible they managed to have both too much of her, and not enough of her, in the same movie. I came out of the film thinking I didn't really like her, but it was on reflection I realised I just hadn't been given enough to form any opinion about her at all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

Wakanda Forever was massively underwhelming and I have zero desire to ever rewatch it, but Angela Bassett was glorious and deserves that award (and all the awards, honestly).

I really wish the Ironheart show had come first, or that she wasn't introduced in this movie, as despite the film being 20 hours long I came out knowing nothing about her at all. She's just a college student who is apparently super smart (so we're told) who built a vibranium, detector (offscreen) and an iron man suit (offscreen) and has apparently been using that suit (offscreen) to do... uh, stuff? You don't see a single friend or family member, so the only relationships she has are with the strangers who turn up to abduct her (both nicely and not so nicely). it's incredible they managed to have both too much of her, and not enough of her, in the same movie. I came out of the film thinking I didn't really like her, but it was on reflection I realised I just hadn't been given enough to form any opinion about her at all.
Yeah she's just kind of...around. I feel like they could have removed her from the script without much of a problem.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah she's just kind of...around. I feel like they could have removed her from the script without much of a problem.

You'd lose Bassett's Oscar clip though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
If any film should have mentioned The Snap, its Wakanda Forever. T’Challa was dead for 5 years, then came back, and now is dying again. Some kind of “losing him once was hard, I can’t lose him again” thing. And addressing the fact they have access to aliens and wizards now. Strange altered reality in ways he shouldn’t because he felt bad Peter Parker couldn’t go to college and the world owed him. I think they’d have done anything for a dying man who saved half the universe.

Yeah, it has to reach the same point of him being dead dead anyway, and I guess it’s implicit in the text they would have tried some/all the things and it was about skipping to the emotional conclusion… but still, the movie is 20 hours long with only 3 action scenes and a looooot of people sitting around talking so it’s not like there wasn’t time to address a cancer death in a world with wizards and aliens. But they really did mourn him for at least some of the 5 years he was blipped and now they know time travel exists so…

Even just the antagonism with the existing world powers arguing about the dangers of vibranium in the wrong (not theirs) hands should be underscored by the fact that Wakanda being who they are with access to all they have saved the universe.

“Vibranium could be used to make weapons”

Yeah, and thanks to us brought back half the universe including a bunch of people in this room.

Eh, I know, I’m taking comic book films too seriously. It is actually a problem of post-Endgame that there’s now all sorts of tech in the world we have to ignore. Previously it was all just “why couldn’t character X help?” in a solo film when obviously character X was just busy elsewhere. But now it’s wizards, aliens and androids time travel and so at least retroactively some od this stuff could at least repair things.

This is why I’m currently more excited for, and enjoying more, the dumb smaller stuff. Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, and She-Hulk were focused right down to the level where world-changing stuff didn’t happen, let alone reality changing. Meanwhile the last 3 movies have (for me) all kinda sucked and I hate that none of those 3 films adequately followed what came before and related to the state of the MCU world as it is post-snap.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Part of me is just completely done with the interconnected nature of the MCU, but I also had an absolute blast watching Multiverse of Madness so maybe I’m just dumb. I am finding that, in general, the more the MCU becomes like the actual Marvel comics the less I tend to care about it. It really does start to get overwhelming, like a 20-season tv show that you feel obligated to continue watching.

I’m not trying to spout some dumb film twitter hot take or anything, I still love a good chunk of what’s come out. I just long for the days of completely standalone movies that weren’t a) the third, fourth or fifth entries in their own subseries, b) picking up breadcrumbs from other shows or movies, or c) laying breadcrumbs of their own for future projects.

It’ll never happen, at least not for the next decade, but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings any to see them do a big permanent reset or at least take a significant break. It’s going to be nigh impossible to ever top the buildup to Endgame and everything in this phase has kinda suffered from having to exist in that shadow.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I could definitely see that the buildup to the confrontation with Kang just might not live up to the Infinity Saga, but it’s very early so I don’t think it’s time to make a call on that yet

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I could definitely see that the buildup to the confrontation with Kang just might not live up to the Infinity Saga, but it’s very early so I don’t think it’s time to make a call on that yet

Something a thread elsewhere on the forums pointed out is, the way Loki set this up, this Kang in Ant-Man might not be the Avengers threat. HWR was very specific that there were several variants of him who were bent on conquest. Defeating one Kang by no means marks the end of the threat.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Considering how much Kang we are seeing in the previews, I’m expecting him to feature in the second act, get what he needs and gtfo before act 3.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
It's weird how much I like the MCU but haven't watched really any of the Phase 4 films other than Shang-Chi; most all I watch are the Disney+ shows now; it comes with my apathy of going to the theaters it feels

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Parkingtigers posted:

underscored by the fact that Wakanda being who they are with access to all they have saved the universe.

“Vibranium could be used to make weapons”

Yeah, and thanks to us brought back half the universe including a bunch of people in this room.

was Tony's gauntlet made out of vibranium?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Parkingtigers posted:

She's just a college student who is apparently super smart (so we're told)

So is Peter Parker but we never have people getting irritated that his intelligence doesn't have an exhaustive backstory. Hell, Tony Stark's only explanation is "smart dad" which isn't really a great explanation. Could there be a difference?

Heck now that I think about Shuri also doesn't really have an explanation for why she's the smartest person in the MCU. So yeah, why aren't we grumpy we don't have that answer either?

theironjef fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 11, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

theironjef posted:

Heck now that I think about Shuri also doesn't really have an explanation for why she's the smartest person in the MCU. So yeah, why aren't we grumpy we don't have that answer either?
Shuri grew up a princess in the world's most technologically advanced secret state, with access to materials the rest of humanity could only dream of.

It's absolutely a case of "even the kids in the Enterprise can do calculus because just look at the insane privilege they have on the day to day"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

Shuri grew up a princess in the world's most technologically advanced secret state, with access to materials the rest of humanity could only dream of.

It's absolutely a case of "even the kids in the Enterprise can do calculus because just look at the insane privilege they have on the day to day"

And Pete grew up in a tiny apartment in Queens. In the Marvel universe super-geniuses just happen, anywhere and everywhere.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
STEM

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

theironjef posted:

So is Peter Parker but we never have people getting irritated that his intelligence doesn't have an exhaustive backstory.

Aunt May's wheat cakes are Algernon-level brainfood.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

FilthyImp posted:

i can't wait for the moon girl cartoon to tackle her privilege

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

theironjef posted:

So is Peter Parker but we never have people getting irritated that his intelligence doesn't have an exhaustive backstory. Hell, Tony Stark's only explanation is "smart dad" which isn't really a great explanation. Could there be a difference?

It's not the being smart that is a problem, there are a ton of geniuses in the MCU. It's just that we aren't shown it, just told it, and there's nothing else about her life shown either. Literally the only thing we are told is that the car (which was way too similar to the car they made a big deal of in Hawkeye) belonged to her dad. Other than that I couldn't tell you a thing about her. We got a "he's fast, I'm faster" quote and her doing maths out loud which... gotta say, isn't exactly Spidey level banter.

Peter Parker already had 5 solo movies and massive media saturation for decades that Civil War could just drop him in without an origin story because it wasn't needed. Wakanda Forever tries to do the same thing with Ironheart but outside of a few present day comic nerds nobody knows who she is. As an introduction she needed more of the focus. Shuri worked in the first Black Panther because we see the society she grew up in, her relationship with her family and friends, and she was given enough of the story to make her a fully rounded character. Iron Man also had decades of at least name recognition as a head start even without a solo trilogy.

For what are basically new characters, they need a proper intro. The Ms. Marvel series was (for me) the best thing in the MCU so far. And I only read a few of the comics once I knew the show was coming but the show gives her time to breathe and she comes as someone with friends and family and a whole community of supporting characters. Kate Bishop in Hawkeye was a delight too. Ironheart at the moment in the MCU is the most underwritten character they've ever had. I know more about that one tracksuit mafia bro and his girlfriend than I do this new hero who will be getting her own show.

I hope the show will be great, and I'm hoping she gets the chance to be as fully drawn as all the rest and be a big part of things going forward. I'm just saying that the movie crammed her in and failed to justify cramming her in.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

It's not the being smart that is a problem, there are a ton of geniuses in the MCU. It's just that we aren't shown it, just told it, and there's nothing else about her life shown either. Literally the only thing we are told is that the car (which was way too similar to the car they made a big deal of in Hawkeye) belonged to her dad. Other than that I couldn't tell you a thing about her. We got a "he's fast, I'm faster" quote and her doing maths out loud which... gotta say, isn't exactly Spidey level banter.

Peter Parker already had 5 solo movies and massive media saturation for decades that Civil War could just drop him in without an origin story because it wasn't needed. Wakanda Forever tries to do the same thing with Ironheart but outside of a few present day comic nerds nobody knows who she is. As an introduction she needed more of the focus. Shuri worked in the first Black Panther because we see the society she grew up in, her relationship with her family and friends, and she was given enough of the story to make her a fully rounded character. Iron Man also had decades of at least name recognition as a head start even without a solo trilogy.

For what are basically new characters, they need a proper intro. The Ms. Marvel series was (for me) the best thing in the MCU so far. And I only read a few of the comics once I knew the show was coming but the show gives her time to breathe and she comes as someone with friends and family and a whole community of supporting characters. Kate Bishop in Hawkeye was a delight too. Ironheart at the moment in the MCU is the most underwritten character they've ever had. I know more about that one tracksuit mafia bro and his girlfriend than I do this new hero who will be getting her own show.

I hope the show will be great, and I'm hoping she gets the chance to be as fully drawn as all the rest and be a big part of things going forward. I'm just saying that the movie crammed her in and failed to justify cramming her in.

She got as much introduction as, say, Black Widow in Iron Man 2, Falcon in Winter Soldier, and America Chavez in Multiverse of Madness. This isn't the first time they've put a new character into a small supporting role only to flesh them out more later.

Edit: Mixed up Winter Soldier with Civil War. Correct.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 12, 2023

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

glitchwraith posted:

She got as much introduction as, say, Black Widow in Iron Man 2, Falcon in Civil War, and America Chavez in Multiverse of Madness. This isn't the first time they've put a new character into a small supporting role only to flesh them out more later.

Hell, Hawkeye in Thor.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
personally, if a character isn't given four origin movies, and they just show up in someone else's movie, i can't buy it!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why the gently caress is Sam Jackson talking to Iron Man? I can't get into this at all.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Endless Mike posted:

Why the gently caress is Sam Jackson talking to Iron Man? I can't get into this at all.

He was trying to recruit him to The Avengers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He was trying to recruit him to The Avengers.
Then why wasn't Uma Thurman there???

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Obviously a lot of this will be YMMV and all, but let's not pretend there is any equivalence between dropping in a character that has existed in multiple forms of media since at least the 1960s, and one who was created in 2016.

We can agree to disagree about whether this intro was handled well or not, but legacy characters have that weight of background knowledge from a time when people actually bought comics.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Endless Mike posted:

Then why wasn't Uma Thurman there???

She was shooting "The Accidental Husband" at the time.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Hell, Hawkeye in Thor.

Almost included him, but his cameo had even less development than Riri. At least Ironheart and the others mentioned had some relevance to the plot. Hawkeye could have been swapped out for nameless Shield grunt with a rifle and nothing would have changed.

Parkingtigers posted:

Obviously a lot of this will be YMMV and all, but let's not pretend there is any equivalence between dropping in a character that has existed in multiple forms of media since at least the 1960s, and one who was created in 2016.

We can agree to disagree about whether this intro was handled well or not, but legacy characters have that weight of background knowledge from a time when people actually bought comics.

Iron Man was far from a household name before the MCU, though the first Iron Man movie does a great job characterizing him. I'm not saying your complaint is invalid, as I would have also liked to get more of Ironheart and America Chavez than was depicted in their MCU debuts. I just don't think it's as much of an aberration in the MCU as you initially described.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Cythereal posted:

Something a thread elsewhere on the forums pointed out is, the way Loki set this up, this Kang in Ant-Man might not be the Avengers threat. HWR was very specific that there were several variants of him who were bent on conquest. Defeating one Kang by no means marks the end of the threat.

Inspired by the success of Wandavision's sitcom homage, "Too Many Kangs" comes to Disney+

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

It'd be funny as hell if Kang is about to win and kill Ant-Man or something, then another Kang shows up to save Ant-Man and kill Kang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
No, see, there’s been a misunderstanding. It’s Avengers: The Lang Dynasty.