Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

docbeard posted:

There needs to be a way to ask people not to talk to me that doesn't imply that they're bad or that I dislike them or am upset with them in any way.

Wear a tinfoil hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

lobsterminator posted:

Weezer's cover versions took all joy from the band for me.

They just try to imitate the song as closely as possible. They never add anything of their own to the version.

That's pretty uncreative for a band on their level.

Like the Metallica Blacklist album last year. There were some very interesting versions of their songs. And then Weezer just playing Enter Sandman identically to the original.

I hate simple covers. I don't want to just listen to the same fuckin song but performed by different people. I go to karaoke for that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

credburn posted:

I hate simple covers. I don't want to just listen to the same fuckin song but performed by different people. I go to karaoke for that.

Same. Take a song and improve it like Limp Bizkit did with Faith

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

oldpainless posted:

.... wait

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
When you get a sleek new phone, and then immediately have to put it in an enormous bulky case, doubling its weight and size.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

FFT posted:

.... wait

I remember first hearing that they wanted to cover Faith but make it their own and I thought to myself well I guess it would be nice

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

When you get a sleek new phone, and then immediately have to put it in an enormous bulky case, doubling its weight and size.
I get the slimmest case I can find, just to improve my grip on the drat thing. I haven't cracked a screen (or phone) yet. But I don't work on a construction site or anything.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Plain phones approaching phablet size are outrageous. My old galaxy s7 was the perfect size, new phone's screen is as big as my whole-rear end old phone. Pretty much too big to use one handed.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Arrath posted:

Pretty much too big to use one handed.

Buddy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You could also just not put the phone into a case

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Andrast posted:

You could also just not put the phone into a case

But then whoops it falls out of your pocket when you're getting out of the car and then it's smashed to poo poo.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

But then whoops it falls out of your pocket when you're getting out of the car and then it's smashed to poo poo.

Yeah I prefer to protect my fragile little pocket supercomputer that costs hundreds upon hundreds of dollars.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

When I ask someone if they'd like to hang out, but they aren't free, and then they start listing people they know that I might like to hang out with.

It's super minor, but I wasn't just asking by going down a big list, I had a plan, and my next step isn't just to move one step down the list of my friends.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I don't use phone cases or screen protectors and it's never been an issue. A lot of people seem to look at their broken screen protectors and think "Wow, that saved my phones screen!" when in reality a broken screen protector doesn't mean you saved your phone's screen, it just means you broke a screen protector.

I'm sure it will catch up to me eventually, but 10+ years of not having to deal with phone cases is worth one broken phone.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eh when my phone takes a dive off of my work bench onto the concrete floor of the garage and the corner of the case breaks off with no damage to the phone itself, I have to assume it's sacrifice helped my phone somehow, like a crumple zone saving us squishy occupants.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

oldpainless posted:

I've got to say, changing the lines
    Well, I guess it would be nice if I could touch your body
    I know not everybody has got a body like you
to
    Well, I guess it would be nice if I could touch your body
    I know not everybody has got a body like me
is honestly very funny. I always have a little laugh when I hear the start of the Limp Bizkit version.

Hirayuki posted:

I get the slimmest case I can find
I got the slimmest case I could find for my current phone (which I had to order online as no shops had anything like it available) and it's still pretty chunky. :(

theironjef posted:

When I ask someone if they'd like to hang out, but they aren't free, and then they start listing people they know that I might like to hang out with.
That seems like a super weird thing to do.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Tiggum posted:

That seems like a super weird thing to do.
:ssh: they're trying to hook them up with a friend

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Online forms that don't account for anything even slightly non-standard or unexpected and won't let you proceed without filling in information that doesn't exist.

The rental application form I just filled out refused to let me proceed without entering a mobile number for my current employer. I actually don't have a mobile number for them because they're a business and they're contactable by email or landline.

Then it wouldn't let me proceed without a driver's licence, passport or student ID. I don't have any of those. Well, I have a student ID from years ago but it's long since expired; hopefully they'll be happy with that. I have plenty of other forms of identification but I guess my birth certificate and proof of age, working with children, and medicare cards are no good for some reason.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've had a Nexus 5, Pixel, and Pixel 3a, and I have not broken any of them in any way. I do not use a case or screen protector :shrug:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Did anyone ever have that thing happen where you casually take your phone out of your pocket, and instead it's like you unsheathed the phone and yeeted it, frisbee-like, across the room?

That's what happened the one time I broke a phone. Walking with a friend, went to check an address and the drat thing trebucheted corner-first into hard concrete.

What was crazy was how little cracking there really was, just a spiderweb in the corner and one big main crack with a tributary across the screen. I still used it for months after that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Brawnfire posted:

Did anyone ever have that thing happen where you casually take your phone out of your pocket, and instead it's like you unsheathed the phone and yeeted it, frisbee-like, across the room?

That's what happened the one time I broke a phone. Walking with a friend, went to check an address and the drat thing trebucheted corner-first into hard concrete.

What was crazy was how little cracking there really was, just a spiderweb in the corner and one big main crack with a tributary across the screen. I still used it for months after that.

sounds like the phone's too big or the pocket's too small

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

The one time I truly broke my phone I just had it fumble out of my right hand, cause I was too lazy to use both hands to reach an app in the top left corner. While it fell, I wanted to catch it with my left hand, but instead I just swatted it full force into the wall next to me. I don't think a sturdier case could have saved it.

I'm truly surprised my current phone still lives and has no scratch at all. I lost count the times I wanted to put it into my pocket, miss the pocket, and then still let go, to just watch it drop onto the floor.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The "catch-oops-swat" instinct is why I've trained myself to just let poo poo fall. From kitchen knives to cellphones to falling children, there's just not much my speeding panic hand is gonna help with

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My phones have all worn out on their own, the saddest was my LG Rumour Plus that had the connection between the keyboard and the screen wear out so when I slid the keyboard out it just showed static on the screen. Honestly I probably would still be using that phone otherwise, it was the perfect amount of usable (although a little less so now that Twitter disabled posting by SMS)

My first smartphone heated itself to death over time, it still technically boots its just so slow even on a complete factory reset that there's no point in trying to even compose a message on it.

I'm now on my second smartphone and I've dropped it so many times over the like 4 years I've had it and there isn't even a scratch on it. Really impressive build quality.

My pet peeve is that this phone is the "compact" model of its line and its still bigger than my previous phone. Why are they so big!! These things are supposed to go in your pocket!!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the amsterdam subway trains stink so bad. why do subways smell like rear end most of the time

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Pet peeve,from this thread and everywhere else: People posting about the fact that they've never broken their phone and so don't understand why people need cases. Do you not wear a seat belt or have a smoke alarm either?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Quote is not edit

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pet peeve,from this thread and everywhere else: People posting about the fact that they've never broken their phone and so don't understand why people need cases. Do you not wear a seat belt or have a smoke alarm either?

Smoke alarms are just for warning me that I'm cooking while I am cooking and for screaming because we don't have a 9 volt battery in the house because why would we, so that could probably go.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I think I would put on a phone case if not using one could get me killed yes

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Phone cases became a necessity with the birth of the camera bump to make the back actually flat and not get caught on the edge of a pocket

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Phones are expensive. Mine is lucky it's just in a case and didn't get bricked up in the cellar all the while giving me 'FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MONTRESSOR' notifications.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Shibawanko posted:

the amsterdam subway trains stink so bad. why do subways smell like rear end most of the time

Stop pissing on the train.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Bargearse posted:

Stop pissing on the train.

It smells like rear end, not pee.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

It smells like rear end, not pee.

You should see a doctor about that then, that's not how your piss should smell.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

I remember that. Certainly left "ontlasting" impression.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

oldpainless posted:

When I was in 8th grade, my friends & I performed a cover of Limp Bizkit's version of Faith, but instead of "get the gently caress up!" we yelled "graduation 2000!"

Millennials, amirite?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Speaking of millennial graduations, I never want to hear Good Riddance ever again. That poo poo sucked then and it sucks now.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ever hear a choral version?

It echoes in the eaves of nightmares

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

YeahTubaMike posted:

When I was in 8th grade, my friends & I performed a cover of Limp Bizkit's version of Faith, but instead of "get the gently caress up!" we yelled "graduation 2000!"

Millennials, amirite?

Surely there is footage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Bargearse posted:

Speaking of millennial graduations, I never want to hear Good Riddance ever again. That poo poo sucked then and it sucks now.

"Somewhere on Fullerton" by Allister is a better song with a graduation-y vibe, imho

credburn posted:

Surely there is footage

If there is, I sadly do not have access to it