Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sepist posted:

This thread recommending a vertical mouse was such a great call. My hand has been fantastic for 2 weeks now.

Hey! That's awesome. So happy to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Toshimo posted:

Where would I get started reading if I wanted to replace our in-house 20 year old fake Change Management system with a new ServiceNow implementation from scratch?

Do you want this to be your only job? Because doing this leads to it being something you will be stuck with as the sole owner until you leave.

And anytime I heard ServiceNow changes all i hear is $$$$ noises.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Get a contractor to handle ServiceNow poo poo

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Quit your job and work somewhere else that already has a system

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We've had so much turnover on our Servicenow team it's crazy. We started the implementation almost 5 years ago and I think have had 10-15 people go through that team. What was once a team of like 10 is now down to 4 or 5 lol.

Every month they add something new to it that they want us to use it for. This year's new thing is it will be the source of truth for all assets in the entire corporation. We are talking 40+ hospitals with 10s of thousands of assets at each site. It was initially half rear end implemented and the stockroom is a mess. We've asked if we can just start with a fresh database and go around and enter all our assets but they won't let us do that.

Run far away or hire someone else to do it for you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We've had the same experience with servicenow. Either their sales reps are really loving good at their job or C levels have an insatiable appetite for stuffing all the data into monolithic tools.. maybe they think it'll provide insight into unlocking the secrets of maximum productivity? gently caress if I know but it's annoying and the scope creep is unstoppable.

And yes the group responsible for integrating anything into servicenow has horrible turnover. It's the endless list of "can you make this small adjustment to form X and workflow Y??" changes that drives them off.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ok, so if not ServiceNow, then what? What is the goon-approved Change Management Solution?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

FreshService

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been using FreshService for a year now and although there are some parts of it that annoy me I'm satisfied with it. It's nice to finally have tickets, inventory and solutions all in one place.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/jeeyonshim/status/1613067372084236288?s=20&t=fuUspWstfC3iFvXI-A77Yw

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We have something like over 2 million asset inventory records in one of our servicenow instances, our core business app runs on it….we have a lot of servicenow dedicated developers. That’s not even counting back office/itsm functions in a separate instance.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The Fool posted:

FreshService

FreshService is my baby where I’m at — it’s allowed me to automate the poo poo parts of my job by having people submit ticket templates that require the information needed to get them what they want.

Super useful for service desk guys too. Canned responses, automations that trigger based on executing a scenario.

The change management is p solid too

It has some glaring flaws here and there but goddamn if it isn’t pretty great overall

They have some of the best API documentation I’ve ever seen. Absolutely love their API.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 11, 2023

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

xzzy posted:

C levels have an insatiable appetite for stuffing all the data into monolithic tools.. maybe they think it'll provide insight into unlocking the secrets of maximum productivity?

The latest initiative from our C level is to monitor the metric as to how many times we are commenting on a ticket and that info is getting to the user. We have SLAs and all that, but they are wanting to drill specifically into how many times per ticket we are entering customer notes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Our SNOW implementation has expanded beyond just IT. HR and Finance are making some use of it, and Facilities is off of SAP and invested in SNOW. We also just added a ton of inventory to support the vending machines and Smart Locker implementations.

Our SNOW team has been pretty stable, they're getting to do lots of big implementations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I once worked at a place where management decided it would be a great idea if any more than three interactions between staff were mandated to then become an in-person meeting. So someone could submit a ticket, you could reply asking for clarification or whatever, they'd reply with the details and then everything else was meant to be face-to-face as it was obviously far too confusing for the written word to deal with.

Fortunately it was one of those 'policies' that just got blanket ignored, and it's not like anybody knew how to keep track of it anyway.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We use ServiceNow and it works pretty well, but we literally have multiple departments dedicated to it. Well over a hundred people I would estimate.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Thanks. I don't think I'm going to be able to change from ServiceNow because there's already an implementation somewhere in the agency, but I appreciate knowing the alternative.

As it is, I suspect I'm just going to have to use what we've got, which is why I was looking for literature.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If I get very lucky, I'll get a dedicated guy who has heard of ServiceNow to architect the thing while also supporting the failing in-house system. I'm sure it will be fine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
ServiceNow: At Least We're Not Jira

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We are moving to ServiceNow as well, I had been resistance to my team doing it since we operate pretty well with just a slack channel for incidents but more and more our channel is used as a catch all because other departments use ServiceNow.

Still using jira for kanban though until someone decided we should use our gitlab instance for that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sepist posted:

We are moving to ServiceNow as well, I had been resistance to my team doing it since we operate pretty well with just a slack channel for incidents but more and more our channel is used as a catch all because other departments use ServiceNow.

Still using jira for kanban though until someone decided we should use our gitlab instance for that.

Functionally I can see how that work, but from a compliance point of view a slack channel for incidents seems.... less than ideal.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Slack channel for incidents is fine as long as the right information about incident timelines is getting captured into a more structured system after the fact (like through a postmortem process). I have no love for "incident management tools" that slow down the process of running and resolving an incident

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Toshimo posted:

If I get very lucky, I'll get a dedicated guy who has heard of ServiceNow to architect the thing while also supporting the failing in-house system. I'm sure it will be fine.
What you'll actually end up with is people avoiding both systems over the confusion and user-hostility, instead backchannel messaging people they think can solve their problem

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Vulture Culture posted:

What you'll actually end up with is people avoiding both systems over the confusion and user-hostility, instead backchannel messaging people they think can solve their problem

Oh nah. That's not gonna happen and we won't have both up simultaneously anyway. The aging system will just be swapped out.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

I once worked at a place where management decided it would be a great idea if any more than three interactions between staff were mandated to then become an in-person meeting. So someone could submit a ticket, you could reply asking for clarification or whatever, they'd reply with the details and then everything else was meant to be face-to-face as it was obviously far too confusing for the written word to deal with.

Fortunately it was one of those 'policies' that just got blanket ignored, and it's not like anybody knew how to keep track of it anyway.

I can see this being a good idea for tickets that get bounced around with "not my problem" type messages. (Or even worse, bounced around with no messages at all.)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's just too prescriptive to work I think. It was a relatively small outfit so a system of department managers being able to escalate straight to the people heading up the IT department would have worked fine as well if things weren't making progress.

That said, I do sometimes want to scream "pick up the loving phone and call them" at people who have sent 3-4 ticket updates trying to get hold of someone.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Amazing how it takes my coworker an hour to get back to me but an easy ticket from the CEO gets looked at in under five minutes

Can't tell if I'm just grouchy and sleep deprived or if I'm just real tired of this place

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i'd take the easy ticket from the ceo every time too

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

tokin opposition posted:

Amazing how it takes my coworker an hour to get back to me but an easy ticket from the CEO gets looked at in under five minutes

Can't tell if I'm just grouchy and sleep deprived or if I'm just real tired of this place

You're going to find that at every single organization ever, from private to public.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Vulture Culture posted:

Then it’s on the IT people enabling that behavior, not the end user and that has to come from the top down. If your CIO/CTO caves all the time, you’re hosed no matter what

The Fool posted:

i'd take the easy ticket from the ceo every time too

Same. Doesn’t matter if you’re good so long as the CEO thinks you’re good. All those C-Suite types know is name recognition.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

App13 posted:

In terms of “making the world a better place” the hydrologist role definitely wins out.

That don’t pay the bill though, no sir/ma’am

This is the sad truth.

At least the company I work for is Infosec/Anti-malware. So doing some good.

Thanks Ants posted:

Wow, that's dumb.

Thanks Ants posted:

It's just too prescriptive to work I think. It was a relatively small outfit so a system of department managers being able to escalate straight to the people heading up the IT department would have worked fine as well if things weren't making progress.

That said, I do sometimes want to scream "pick up the loving phone and call them" at people who have sent 3-4 ticket updates trying to get hold of someone.

gently caress no. If I wanted to *talk* to *people*, I wouldn't have gotten into IT!
...how did I end up in user facing support again?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I need one of those signs that says it has been _ days since it was DNS.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I regret agreeing to do this gang tag thing. I have real work to do, you fuckers.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

*unticks inform customer*
*closes ticket*

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm just going to set mine and consider it job done.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I am one of those people that doesn't call unresponsive users re: their tickets. My line of thinking is that they submitted the ticket because they have a problem that needs fixing. If they can't be bothered to read and reply to my emails attempting to help them fix their problem, I am not going to go out of my way to try to get a hold of them. I'm not their IT butler.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Internet Explorer posted:

I regret agreeing to do this gang tag thing. I have real work to do, you fuckers.

That’s your fault for not scoping the project correctly.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
In our ticketing system we can put tickets in a "waiting for response from customer" status which sends them an email reminder every 3 days, and automatically closes the ticket after 12 days if they have not responded.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Squatch Ambassador posted:

In our ticketing system we can put tickets in a "waiting for response from customer" status which sends them an email reminder every 3 days, and automatically closes the ticket after 12 days if they have not responded.

This is the way, but uh, I think you accidentally added a 1 in front of "2 days if they have not responded".

(We give them 4 days for "waiting for user" to change to autoclosing, so 6 days total).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, couple of updates.
  • Gang tag requests are in. It's a pain and the admins will get to it when they get to it.
  • I love and appreciate you all and I wouldn't do gang tags for anyone else. I mean that litereally, never again and no one else.
  • I think that's more tickets that I've closed in like half a decade. There's no way I got them all right, so let me know if I hosed it up or missed you.
  • I got Sickening and Sepist confused, but I think I got there in the end.
  • I legit almost accidentally probed jaegerx. Freudian misclick.
  • I don't think astral liked it when I did an @astral the forums are down just kidding the IT thread would like to bestow this gang tag upon you if you would like to accept. He politely declined. That may have been my bad.

I think that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Internet Explorer posted:

Alright, couple of updates.
  • Gang tag requests are in. It's a pain and the admins will get to it when they get to it.
  • I love and appreciate you all and I wouldn't do gang tags for anyone else. I mean that litereally, never again and no one else.
  • I think that's more tickets that I've closed in like half a decade. There's no way I got them all right, so let me know if I hosed it up or missed you.
  • I got Sickening and Sepist confused, but I think I got there in the end.
  • I legit almost accidentally probed jaegerx. Freudian misclick.
  • I don't think astral liked it when I did an @astral the forums are down just kidding the IT thread would like to bestow this gang tag upon you if you would like to accept. He politely declined. That may have been my bad.

I think that's it.

Just give me a 6er for fun. I gotta do some studying tonight. See y’all tomorrow.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)