Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

I think this is the plot of Beowulf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah I toned the dweller invader numbers down in the custom difficulty settings for my current fort because it felt like I was getting attacked by every cavern's inhabitants at least once a month and it was getting obnoxious. Like, I've killed literally hundreds of you fuckers by now. Either you eventually run out of soldiers to send or you stop before you go extinct. Cmon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I thought the reccommendation was literally the opposite of this, "make sure any given squad's carrying a range of weapon types so you don't get screwed by having an all-hammer squad and have something show up resistant to hammers"

Having a variety of weapon types in your military is nice, but they train more efficiently if they share weapons with their squadmates, I think. I just end up treating my entire military as a single unit and send them all in most of the time to get the variety I need. Having squad segregated by weapontype also allows you to send only one weapontype if you identify a situation where they're not all equally useful

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I just have every single dwarf be part of the militia and have the squads at "At least two train". I mean, that's why it's called the militia and not the army, and it's sorta like warhammer fantasy dwarf armies just being regular dudes. I'll try to make my nobles really good at combat though to justify their existence, they lead the throngs in dire times

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Is it possible to set stockpile priority for storing items or is it 100% pathing based?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tuna-Fish posted:

You don't really want to do this, fyi. Training works best when everyone involved is carrying the same weapon (as in, affected by the same skill). Initial skill differences mostly even out in a few months of training.

Everybody ends up legendary soon enough anyway in my experience. I guess I could set up several mini squads dedicated to a different weapon each but seems like a lot of extra work for not that much benefit compared to just having 1-2 full squads with a barracks each and individual preference. Maybe it would be different if I was in more hostile territory or had trouble getting lot of steel but it's worked for me so far, no trouble killing any non-dust beasts or basically infinite goblins without losses.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Of course the dwarven brothel gets attacked by Clapdoor the crocodile

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Buschmaki posted:

I just have every single dwarf be part of the militia and have the squads at "At least two train". I mean, that's why it's called the militia and not the army, and it's sorta like warhammer fantasy dwarf armies just being regular dudes. I'll try to make my nobles really good at combat though to justify their existence, they lead the throngs in dire times

I'm considering doing this and also just making one gigantic barracks that they all live in so I can build one giant fancy bedroom at the beginning and then never again.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

cheetah7071 posted:

Having a variety of weapon types in your military is nice, but they train more efficiently if they share weapons with their squadmates, I think. I just end up treating my entire military as a single unit and send them all in most of the time to get the variety I need. Having squad segregated by weapontype also allows you to send only one weapontype if you identify a situation where they're not all equally useful

It seems like their skill really starts shooting up when they start sparring which I believe they start doing when their weapon skill hits a certain point so it might get them there slightly faster but there's also another 4 or 5 skills they can decide to teach instead so it's probably kind of a crapshoot. The best way to get them there is probably just to put their barracks somewhere where they'll see a lot of combat. If you're starting in an area likely to have undead it might be worth it to take a macedwarf with teaching skill though.

I get a lot of groups of giant wild boars on the embark I'm playing on so have 10 hunters whose skills have been going up very fast pin cushioning them. Going to try to get them into a squad and keep hunting but I don't even know if that's possible. Mainly I want the squad leader who will probably be my captain of the guard to carry this artifact steel buckler I have around. I have an artifact steel shield my militia commander carries already.

I had a very early werechameleon attack that was stopped by my broker/miner with no casualties but himself. This dwarf is a hero who may have saved the lives of everyone else in the fort, I think to myself, he deserves a statue. The statue is of him getting a divorce 50 or so years earlier. I like to think he was one of those people who would constantly bitch about their ex wife.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hope you really like sparring announcements x50

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

Bins & Barrels both set to 0 (which is annoying because they default back to max any time you even view your custom stockpile's settings, which causes this issue in the first place)

did you forget to hit enter after typing 0? these settings work fine for me, I've never seen them get reset back to default

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

cheetah7071 posted:

Once you have good equipment, it seems like you can get pretty good skill fairly quickly by raiding weak settlements. I sent out a squad of essentially rookies a few times and they were Spearmasters and Axe Lords by the time I was done.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Any way to make a dwarf pray? I got one that's about to lose her poo poo she's so desperate to pray to a certain god. I got shrines with altars to the one she wants, and also to the "general prayer". Even if I cancel all her work she just hangs out drinking in the tavern, mad about not praying. Any tips?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chewbot posted:

Any way to make a dwarf pray? I got one that's about to lose her poo poo she's so desperate to pray to a certain god. I got shrines with altars to the one she wants, and also to the "general prayer". Even if I cancel all her work she just hangs out drinking in the tavern, mad about not praying. Any tips?

Burrows

I've got two questions:

1) I'm trying to get the whole minecart magma thing going. Phase 1, being finding magma building a series of pumps, floodgates, cart tracks, etc was a qualified success and I now have 10 magma filled minecarts in my workshop. Having troubles with phase 2: I've pulled up a smelter, dug a single tile channel in an appropriate location, channeled in a minecart and then.... they just push the minecart into the hole, retrieve the minecart, then repeat. At no point is the minecart dumping the magma. Where's this whole friction/etc thing people talk about? I feel I'm missing something in the kick order

2) I keep getting "something has collapsed" messages and the location is unexplored locations deep underground. on a scale of 1-10 how concerned should I be

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Friction is in the popup where you build a stop.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Chewbot posted:

She sounds like an ideal candidate to go find her god on a solo expedition to the nearest goblin fortress

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Azhais posted:

Burrows

I've got two questions:

1) I'm trying to get the whole minecart magma thing going. Phase 1, being finding magma building a series of pumps, floodgates, cart tracks, etc was a qualified success and I now have 10 magma filled minecarts in my workshop. Having troubles with phase 2: I've pulled up a smelter, dug a single tile channel in an appropriate location, channeled in a minecart and then.... they just push the minecart into the hole, retrieve the minecart, then repeat. At no point is the minecart dumping the magma. Where's this whole friction/etc thing people talk about? I feel I'm missing something in the kick order

2) I keep getting "something has collapsed" messages and the location is unexplored locations deep underground. on a scale of 1-10 how concerned should I be

You need to construct a track stop on the tracks next to the hole, set with maximum friction and dumping into the hole. It sounds like your tracks just end without a built stop and the minecart careens off of the tracks into the hole.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

cheetah7071 posted:

You need to construct a track stop on the tracks next to the hole, set with maximum friction and dumping into the hole. It sounds like your tracks just end without a built stop and the minecart careens off of the tracks into the hole.

Ah, indeed. I shall give that a go

Also I might have discovered the source of my collapses. This lad showed up two years ago in the cavern and promptly hosed off, but I just got a notice that he was fighting an orm

He's got like 75 trog kills in his record since he arrived here, so I suspect he's been burning down mushroom trees in the fog of war.

Also he's annoyed about inhaling smoke. Wonder where that came from.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Comrade Koba posted:

Will dwarves ever upgrade their equipment? Assuming I’ve got a squad in full iron gear and then get steel production up and running, will the existing squad upgrade their gear by themselves next time they go on scheduled duty or do I have to delete the squad and reform it?

There's a button you can press in the equipment interface that makes the squad refresh their equipment, at which point they'll generally pick up better stuff. In my experience this is less reliable than editing their outfits to force them into steel, but it does work.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

someone posted this in a discord server

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

hbag posted:

someone posted this in a discord server

You yada yada yadad over the best part!

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Urgh. This strange mood child is somehow stuck hovering over the river, and his endless pathing failures are tanking my FPS and it's taking forever to build his rescue floor. CMON

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

johnny park posted:

Urgh. This strange mood child is somehow stuck hovering over the river, and his endless pathing failures are tanking my FPS and it's taking forever to build his rescue floor. CMON

when are you gonna start building the crucifixes

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Friend posted:

Follow-up, I just got so many BWOOOONG raid alerts all at once that I thought my game was broken. Currently my pleasure palace is being raided by a 6 different forces, including a cave crocodile named Clapdoor who is musical but uncreative. Every snake person you see? Each one is is blinking between that and another creature.

All told there are 8 cave crocodiles, 9 elk birds, 10 giant cave toads, 4 giant olms, 5 giant rats, and 41 snake people in this raid. I really hope they just take out their frustrations on each other because I am not equipped for this.

pathing for cavern invaders seems to break sometimes, most commonly i've seen it for snakemen and olm men that hop into the water and then get stuck there and decide to hang out. of course, invades keep generating, so eventually there's a zillion enemies and once you aggro a few of them they all seem to remember what they were doing and flood in at once

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

johnny park posted:

The Messiah has arrived.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Possessed child floating in the air, chanting cryptic phrases, and all the dwarves can do is bitch because they have to build a bridge out there to yank the little bastard down

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Do I need to worry about anything when I build workshops directly over the magma sea? I know there's magma creatures, can they path through workshop floors? Does it still work if I throw some bars down?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

My dining hall is covered in blood. Weird. Wonder what happened

Huh

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Unfortunately the floating demon child ended up making an innocuous wooden bracelet decorated with images of trees

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Appoda posted:

Do I need to worry about anything when I build workshops directly over the magma sea? I know there's magma creatures, can they path through workshop floors? Does it still work if I throw some bars down?

I've heard other people say, but have not tested myself, that workshops no longer have any impassible tiles and creatures can climb up into magma forges no matter what part you put over the hole. Floor bars probably won't let you build a workshop on top of them, and I'm pretty sure vertical bars and fortifications are passable when 7/7 flooded with a liquid. The only foolproof ways that I know of are to dig a side channel off and use a floodgate to completely seal it, or using a pump to separate the magma from the critters in the source.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Appoda posted:

They can come up through the floor, and in .50 there are no impassable workshop tiles. Can't build a workshop on top of bars. Best option is to pump magma through bars into a tunnel under your workshops, then the magma is safe

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

johnny park posted:

Unfortunately the floating demon child ended up making an innocuous wooden bracelet decorated with images of trees

Funniest possible outcome. Imagine how you'd feel getting given that. 'Why won't you wear the bracelet I made for you?'

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Venuz Patrol posted:

pathing for cavern invaders seems to break sometimes, most commonly i've seen it for snakemen and olm men that hop into the water and then get stuck there and decide to hang out. of course, invades keep generating, so eventually there's a zillion enemies and once you aggro a few of them they all seem to remember what they were doing and flood in at once

That makes sense because I've had a snake man stuck in a lake for ages. I didn't know I needed to kill him!

I have the caverns locked completely (until they break down the doors) so I'm thinking I'll put everyone who isn't an entertainer into a militia and purge the enemies and save the talent.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

They can come up through the floor, and in .50 there are no impassable workshop tiles. Can't build a workshop on top of bars. Best option is to pump magma through bars into a tunnel under your workshops, then the magma is safe
Having a pump move magma is also good, since you can pump it through a grate which they can't break. My fortress has sad magma crabs as a result of this.

I have started sending my dwarven squad of malcontents off on raids of nearby goblin sites. The first time they attacked a goblin held fortress and killed fifty people without loss, which is perhaps not surprising for steel clad legendary warriors. They also stole a single duck. This glorious victory has only emboldened them and they have murdered the entire population of the nearby goblin pits. I am now training a reserve force of lesser dwarves to attack and conquer the fortress. I hope to eventually conquer everything goblin within range, which seems to be everywhere.

Also, most of the dwarven death squad have epithets. Most are nonsense, but two are names to run away from:

Nish Trumpetfamous the East Zephyr of Blizzards
Domas Paddlecaves the Flayed Avalanch

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Mr. Showtime posted:

There's a button you can press in the equipment interface that makes the squad refresh their equipment, at which point they'll generally pick up better stuff. In my experience this is less reliable than editing their outfits to force them into steel, but it does work.

What button is this?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

johnny park posted:

I never get anything good. In my 200 hours I've played since the steam release (:negative:) the best thing I've gotten is a ruby encrusted grate. Fancy and all... but it's a grate.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I pity those of you who don't make catacombs for your dwarves

(Statues are coming in hot off the forge for the 25 dwarves that just perished in a forgotten beast attack)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jeremor posted:

My dining hall is covered in blood. Weird. Wonder what happened

Huh

yea things get out of hand in a dwarf fortress.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pickled Tink posted:

Having a pump move magma is also good, since you can pump it through a grate which they can't break. My fortress has sad magma crabs as a result of this.

+1 on this, just be careful about dwarves, lava, trenches, and traffic routes. I was channelling out my obsidian farm and had a 1/7 magma blob that I had someone set up to channel under, next to a 2/7 pool of water.

As far as I can tell, the sequence of events was:
- The miner completed the channelling
- The miner decided the quickest path to their next location was down the ramp they just finished making
- The miner walked down the ramp, under the 1/7 magma
- The 2/7 water drained across 1 tile
- The 1/7 magma fell one z-level
- The 1/7 magma touched the 1/7 water
- The miner was immediately fully encased in obsidian

I was going to chip them out into a statue syrupleaf style but when I cracked the obsidian they were in, their body and all their clothes popped out like a loot box, completely undamaged apart from the whole "being dead" thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hope you really like sparring announcements x50

Thanks for reminding me I need to crack open the announcements.txt file and see if there's a way to disable those