Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I don't believe that's true, and in some countries/states it's highly illegal to do that.

Yeah this. No way that's true. And if it is then whoever does that would be breaking the law. Pizza drivers get robbed all the time and still work as pizza drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I distinctly remember reading at least one story on these forums where a driver got fired after being robbed, because of something about being a potential repeat target, followed by others chiming in that it sounded completely hosed but is a thing that happens.

At the very least, I've delivered pizzas myself and I have heard stories about it happening.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 12, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's a labor lawsuit instantly.

Fired due to extreme trauma caused by the job? Yeah... no.

I'm not saying your anecdote didn't happen, but I'd imagine it's super illegal.

And if it actually were a common practice, why doesn't anyone working a job get fired after they get robbed? Why is it just pizza delivery drivers?

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 12, 2023

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i run a small business where pizza companies hire me to rob drivers they want to fire

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
imagine thinking "labor laws" are a thing in america.
"you're fired for being robbed"
"did you fire him for being robbed?"
"no"
"thank you for your time"

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's not true. It does not happen as a matter of course. If it ever happens at all it happens very rarely. It's so obviously not true that it's not up for debate.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I mean yeah it's almost certainly turbo illegal in most of your States, but I don't think what InsertPotPun has said is unreasonable; we already know that wage theft dwarfs all other forms of theft and you don't have to look far to find tons of anecdotes of employers blatantly breaking employment laws, taking advantage of employees who don't know any better. It's a bit more tenuous in my mind than other examples - I'm sure it doesn't happen "all the time" but would not be surprised to learn that it does occasionally, happen.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The real takeaway I’m getting from this conversation is that we ought to start arming delivery drivers with deadman’s switch frag grenades to counter any would-be robbers

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

The real takeaway I’m getting from this conversation is that we ought to start arming delivery drivers with deadman’s switch frag grenades to counter any would-be robbers

We tried this already
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Brian_Wells

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pennywise the Frown posted:

And if it actually were a common practice, why doesn't anyone working a job get fired after they get robbed? Why is it just pizza delivery drivers?

It's not just drivers. I've heard anecdotes of it happening to in-store employees too, albeit less frequently. Getting robbed can really gently caress up your image, both for an employee AND the store they work at.

The rationale I've been told is that drivers out on deliveries are quick and easy marks, and that if a driver gets robbed once then thieves are likely to remember them as an easy target later, or to come after them for "retribution" because I guess they think the driver snitched after that?

Mind you, I last delivered pizzas years ago before dashboard cams and Ring doorbells became super common, so things may have changed a bit since then.

Mister Speaker posted:

I mean yeah it's almost certainly turbo illegal in most of your States, but I don't think what InsertPotPun has said is unreasonable; we already know that wage theft dwarfs all other forms of theft and you don't have to look far to find tons of anecdotes of employers blatantly breaking employment laws, taking advantage of employees who don't know any better. It's a bit more tenuous in my mind than other examples - I'm sure it doesn't happen "all the time" but would not be surprised to learn that it does occasionally, happen.

The places I delivered pizzas at paid drivers $3 LESS THAN minimum wage for every hour we were out on a delivery, because they expected tips to cover the rest.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 12, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, businesses do all sorts of incredibly illegal stuff to their employees on the regular, especially when they're low wage employees that tend to 1) run a younger crowd that hasn't learned their rights and how to stand up for them and 2) can't afford to hire a lawyer for a potentially lengthy and incredibly expensive legal battle. I can absolutely believe that rule is the norm in a notable number of pizza places.

I mean, these are the same companies that charge you a delivery fee that they deliberately state goes straight to them and not the driver they pay so little the consumers have to do it for them.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

that wiki article is hilarious: "Immediately after his death, investigators searched Wells' house and found a list of people he knew, including two prostitutes unknown to other members of his family."

this is why i always give my family members my emergency-prostitute-contact information. never know when you might need it.

girl befriender
Sep 22, 2014

by vyelkin
my dad used to work in screen printing and one day the owner asked him to drive to another shop to pickup some equipment he bought from them.
when he got there their were cells and workers chained to machines, in america. guessing they were south american 'indentured servants' since the
area was mostly hispanic.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
and then he called the police and the whole operation was busted wide open?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah what the gently caress?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

girl befriender posted:

my dad used to work in screen printing and one day the owner asked him to drive to another shop to pickup some equipment he bought from them.
when he got there their were cells and workers chained to machines, in america. guessing they were south american 'indentured servants' since the

:stonk:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

and then he called the police and the whole operation was busted wide open?

Right? Who could turn a blind eye to that? No sarcasm.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lololol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

girl befriender posted:

my dad was OSHA in and around NY and on more than one occasion he'd inspect & fine Chinese death trap sweatshops in the city with like locked fire doors and poo poo. without fail, they'd completely vanish out of the spot before any follow up could take place

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

i don't blame anyone for thinking it but i'm offering an intense lmao to "an employer in food service wouldn't do this insanely illegal thing because that's a labor lawsuit"

if you ever sue your restaurant owner boss for anything you better be either leaving town or leaving food

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

:objection:

That was the work of the robbers, not the pizza place!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/DailyLoud/status/1613280275483750402

My tax dollars! :bahgawd:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Why was the fact that she was white important?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TontoCorazon posted:

Why was the fact that she was white important?

White girls go wild like this, PoC girls go wild like that

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
interracial pig blowbang

"YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO CUM ON MY loving FOREHEAD!"

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol I bet you can guess what color the officers were who were fired or merely "suspended"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Because some of those men aren't. So now you know she is a cop and also a race traitor, making her properly hateable by both sides.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Quicker, more forceful retribution for having consensual sex than murdering a black guy over 9 mins or cowering in a hallway while children are murdered.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Where does the forehead end and the scalp start

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Genderflipped Rich Evans as a cop.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

:pusheen:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Weird Space Cop prequel confirmed.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
sow looks like karl pilkington

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Teacher and cousin of Black Lives Matter founder ‘Tased to death’ by LAPD

There's video of this floating around Twitter, and it's heartbreaking. He doesn't die on camera (apparently a few hours later in hospital from cardiac arrest) but he's clearly in a state of crisis, and the pigs deploy the Taser on him after he's already on the ground - using the launched probes and immediately going into 'stun drive' mode where the Taser makes contact with his body. They tase him repeatedly and for extended periods of time.

I might be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure Tasers are NOT supposed to be pain compliance devices. loving coward-rear end pigs.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Mel Brooks as Moses coming down the mountain:

"These non-lethal law enforcement tools will save countless li............ Less-lethal! These less-lethal devices...."

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mister Speaker posted:

Teacher and cousin of Black Lives Matter founder ‘Tased to death’ by LAPD

There's video of this floating around Twitter, and it's heartbreaking. He doesn't die on camera (apparently a few hours later in hospital from cardiac arrest) but he's clearly in a state of crisis, and the pigs deploy the Taser on him after he's already on the ground - using the launched probes and immediately going into 'stun drive' mode where the Taser makes contact with his body. They tase him repeatedly and for extended periods of time.

I might be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure Tasers are NOT supposed to be pain compliance devices. loving coward-rear end pigs.

gently caress this poo poo and all the other loving pigs across the country have the goddamn audacity to wonder why no one likes them

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Haven't quite a few people involved in organisational side of BLM been assassinated by the police?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Haven't quite a few people involved in organisational side of BLM been assassinated by the police?

Nah they just shot themselves in the back of the head twice in their cars and then lit them on fire, case closed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

They died With police brutality, not because of it /s