Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

NikkolasKing posted:

Wow, tht was a whole year ago. Did anybody even report it in the Memoriam thread? That sucks.

I feel like there were lots of discussions around her passing, but it was also 2021 so it would have been the previous thread and not the 2022 one. But I’m certain it got talked about in multiple other threads as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, after some searching I learned that I have even more reasons to hate everyone who ran TNA.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno if that was by accident. He and Vince in that era were weird to me because they both got humiliated a lot and seemed to understand they had to protect the real stars, the heel wrestlers. But at the same time, Vince booked himself winning Rumbles, World Titles, and in main events at multiple PVs. And Eric went over at StarrCade '98.

So it's like they got it...but didn't get it.

I guess it's a bit like Hollywood Hogan. Hogan played an old school heel - he was not cool like Nash or Hall, he was a cowardly bully who got his rear end beat all the time. He just also never actually lost.
In the prime of the Mr. McMahon/Corporation thing, Vince only had a handful of matches:

Raw 4/13/1998: Vince McMahon challenges Steve Austin for his newly won WWF championship, with one of Austin's arms tied behind his back. He gets clobbered until Dude Love comes in and beats up Austin.
Raw 5/11/1998: Steve Austin is forced into a tag match against the Rock and D'Lo Brown with a mystery partner. Vince reveals himself as the partner, which turns it into a handicap match and Vince being mad Austin is doing okay 2v1 so they bring everyone in for a beatdown which turns into a brawl when babyfaces make the save.
Royal Rumble 1999: Vince wins this via massive cowardice and cheating and then has the win negated the next night, leading to:
Valentine's Day Massacre 1999: Vince is beaten to a bloody pulp by Steve Austin for ten minutes, then springs his trap: Big Show debuts from under the ring and attacks Austin, but this backfires because Big Show throws Austin through the cage, meaning Vince loses.

After Wrestlemania Vince turns babyface against the Corporate Ministry and begins actually winning matches (usually with interference/heel backfiring) which culminates in him winning the world title off of Triple H. And then a few months later he gets his rear end kicked by Triple H and his daughter kicks him in the nuts. This is repeated in his next big match, where his wife kicks him in the nuts.

After that he's mostly a heel and mostly loses (to Shane, Ric Flair, and Hulk Hogan in consecutive Wrestlemanias) but then he (and WWE booking in general) really start to lose it, wrestling three additional PPV matches in 2003 and beating Zach Gowan, Stephanie McMahon, and the Undertaker with interference.

Then he's back in the ring in 2006 for the first DX reunion where he ends up going 1-3, with the only win being the handicap match of Vince & Shane vs. Shawn Michaels and God, who no-showed. Then the Bobby Lashley feud in 2007 which he won the ECW title in a 3v1 handicap match and lost it in a street fight where he got destroyed. Then the Bret Hart WM match in 2010, and capping things off with the terrible Pat McAfee match last year.

Vince lost a lot more than he won, his 'wins' were almost immediately nullified, and he always got humiliated in the blow-off. By and large Vince the character was booked well, particularly in like 1998-2001. The power dynamics of him doing poo poo like the Trish Stratus angle aside.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There was definitely a RAW where him and Shane wrestled and Vince went over clean with a stunner

Edit: cagematch says it was in early 99

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Edge & Christian posted:

Valentine's Day Massacre 1999: Vince is beaten to a bloody pulp by Steve Austin for ten minutes, then springs his trap: Big Show debuts from under the ring and attacks Austin, but this backfires because Big Show throws Austin through the cage, meaning Vince loses.

This will always be funny to me, I don't know if there's a quicker turnaround for a guy debuting like a monster to looking like a total dumbass

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Barry Bluejeans posted:

This will always be funny to me, I don't know if there's a quicker turnaround for a guy debuting like a monster to looking like a total dumbass

Shockmaster.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

In the words of OSW Review, "Start as you mean to go on, New Year's Baby!".

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i've been watching that 'reliving the war' youtube series where the guy compares every episode of the monday night war to each other, and it's been nice to see the good era of WCW. I was too young for it at the time and I don't even know where you were meant to watch WCW in england back then.

Anyway i have a question: what the gently caress is the deal with kevin sullivans bunny hop move? it looks so bad

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i've been watching that 'reliving the war' youtube series where the guy compares every episode of the monday night war to each other, and it's been nice to see the good era of WCW. I was too young for it at the time and I don't even know where you were meant to watch WCW in england back then.

Anyway i have a question: what the gently caress is the deal with kevin sullivans bunny hop move? it looks so bad

The double stomp? Every now and then he'd do it from Bret's Rope, but yeah it was just a crappy finisher. Sully wasn't paid for five star classics. Due to his Army of Darkness gimmick in Florida for a long time I thought it was called the Devil Stomp which would have been at least a cooler name.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I had the same experience. I had heard Sullivan had this incredibly innovative Satanist gimmick, and when I watched his matches I was amused by his finisher and his accent.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

he did a top rope stomp sometimes and landed on dudes chests stiff legged. absolutely brutal stuff

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Halloween Jack posted:

I had the same experience. I had heard Sullivan had this incredibly innovative Satanist gimmick, and when I watched his matches I was amused by his finisher and his accent.

Same, I remember seeing pictures of him in magazines and stuff as a kid but then in WCW he just seemed like this little tiny Boston man and not threatening at all. Just way more cheesy than a cool Satanist.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
The bits with Sullivan from Florida in the Luna Vachon ep of DSOTR were pretty eye-opening, and you can see how he'd be a draw in the height of the Satanic Panic in the U.S.

As a kid seeing him in WCW, all I remember thinking about him was wishing they'd take this schlubby dwarf off my TV.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Integrated Houston posted:

The bits with Sullivan from Florida in the Luna Vachon ep of DSOTR were pretty eye-opening, and you can see how he'd be a draw in the height of the Satanic Panic in the U.S.

Although to this day Sullivan is quick to say it's not Satanist, probably because he's Catholic and amusingly most of the stuff he'd ramble on about (effectively) during the Florida days were bits he'd cribbed from New Age stuff. That said he does wait on the shore for a beast* to come out of the sea so there you go.

*The beast in this case being Mark "Purple Haze" Lewin.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

Same, I remember seeing pictures of him in magazines and stuff as a kid but then in WCW he just seemed like this little tiny Boston man and not threatening at all. Just way more cheesy than a cool Satanist.
There's just something about old wrestlers who don't wear kneepads.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Dawgstar posted:

bring back stevie richards running around in the background of a raven promo screaming "PURPLE HAZE" to heal the world

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dawgstar posted:

Although to this day Sullivan is quick to say it's not Satanist, probably because he's Catholic and amusingly most of the stuff he'd ramble on about (effectively) during the Florida days were bits he'd cribbed from New Age stuff. That said he does wait on the shore for a beast* to come out of the sea so there you go.

Mark Lewin rules.

My personal theory is that HHH saw Lewin back in the late 70s/early 80s and went "this is how I want to look"

I mean, just look at the guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBZRDLmK8yI

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MrBling posted:

Mark Lewin rules.

Agree unironically.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Suplex Liberace posted:

he did a top rope stomp sometimes and landed on dudes chests stiff legged. absolutely brutal stuff

that sounds a lot more brutal, so far all the ones ive seen have been on nitro and it looks like a little bunny hop where he kinda lightly springs off them

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

it was the second rope not top

https://youtu.be/rAV1BTUxs3c

@3:45

still looks brutal imo

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What was WCW like during 2001? I've often heard it was pretty good, or at least, not the dreadful mess 99 and 2000 were. I'm thinking about doing a rewatch of all the Nitros, Thunders and PPVs from January onward but wanted to get a quick overview from anyone who might know.

All I remember from dipping in and out of it as a teen was Ric Flair's magnificent seven stable, with Road Warrior Animal wrestling in Chavo Guerro matches. Plus the Cruiserweight Tag title tournament.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What was WCW like during 2001? I've often heard it was pretty good, or at least, not the dreadful mess 99 and 2000 were. I'm thinking about doing a rewatch of all the Nitros, Thunders and PPVs from January onward but wanted to get a quick overview from anyone who might know.

All I remember from dipping in and out of it as a teen was Ric Flair's magnificent seven stable, with Road Warrior Animal wrestling in Chavo Guerro matches. Plus the Cruiserweight Tag title tournament.

It was mostly really bad. Nitro was basically unwatchable and Thunder was good for about three weeks. It's not as bad as the worst of 1999 and 2000 but most of the Magnificent Seven promos are at that level and they go on forever.

Greed was really good though.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My only frame of reference for Mark Lewin was Ric Flair's story about him and Piper having a drinking (and possibly more) contest.
The story involved Kevin Sullivan bragging that Lewin was the best at drugs. In comparison to Piper.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as I remember the best parts of 2000 and 2001 were when the company was in the middle of a shakeup, so they just let Kevin Sullivan or whoever do relatively straightforward booking instead of constant swerves, worked shoots and stupid wasteful stunts.

I was wondering why Lewin wasn't a bigger star in the 80s after FCW, but then I realized he retired in '88 at the age of 51.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

why did they spend 99 and 2000 and a bit of 2001 trying literally every stupid gimmick they could think of to get the ratings back, and no-one ever thought “hey what if we made goldberg champ again”

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

why did they spend 99 and 2000 and a bit of 2001 trying literally every stupid gimmick they could think of to get the ratings back, and no-one ever thought “hey what if we made goldberg champ again”

In 2000 they did come up with "What if we redo the streak"

but bad.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

ChrisBTY posted:

My only frame of reference for Mark Lewin was Ric Flair's story about him and Piper having a drinking (and possibly more) contest.
The story involved Kevin Sullivan bragging that Lewin was the best at drugs. In comparison to Piper.

Mark Lewin is a guy that probably should have been a bigger star, but he was just one of those guys that was loyal to a couple of people and went everywhere with them.
He spent a lot of time in Australia working for and with Jim Barnett because he trusted him and knew he would get paid well.
He worked basically all over the world with and against King Curtis Iaukea because they both knew they could get paid no matter where they went.
He worked quite a bit with Gary Hart in Texas and Australia as well.
He was also kinda like Brody in the way that he handled all his bookings himself and he would just leave a territory if there was something he didn't like or if he got a bigger offer from elsewhere.
I guess you could say that he chose money over belts, which is the smart way to work if you can reach a point where you know you can always get a booking somewhere.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

MassRafTer posted:

In 2000 they did come up with "What if we redo the streak"

but bad.

Sid knocking guys down and counting that as a victory was pretty funny though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Animal-Mother posted:

Sid knocking guys down and counting that as a victory was pretty funny though.

No that was in 1999. I'm talking about when Goldberg was told if he didn't recreate the streak he was fired.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

That doesn't work for me, brother.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
my only memory of late stage WCW isn't even late stage by most definitions, its the sight of Bret Hart wearing a silver nWo shirt with i think the world title walking to the ring

just the juxtaposition of a new nWo colouring scheme who had years long worn out their welcome, they should've ended after the Wolfpac, on Bret Hart a paragon of not going to be with a bunch of nWo losers, and the title being back on nWo, it just is seared in me

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I agree it was terrible but right now I’m imagining a post-nwo angle where there’s a second ‘WWF invasion’ and a new nwo but this time it’s just Bret Hart and Jeff Jarrett really confused and bitter, wondering why no one else is jumping ship.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MassRafTer posted:

No that was in 1999. I'm talking about when Goldberg was told if he didn't recreate the streak he was fired.

Late-era WCW really was terrible, wow. I know I watched it all the way up to the bitter end, but I don't remember this at all.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
There were a lot of point of no returns but Road Warrior Animal coming back with a hyped masked man build really cemented that the company was dead-dead. Having that happen while WWF is doing a white hot build with two relatively new stars for their big event just showed they had nothing left to give.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

UnleashedDad posted:

There were a lot of point of no returns but Road Warrior Animal coming back with a hyped masked man build really cemented that the company was dead-dead. Having that happen while WWF is doing a white hot build with two relatively new stars for their big event just showed they had nothing left to give.

Also it's like...why Animal? and why that outfit?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

what wacky ecw merch is there

They had video games, somehow.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

Angry_Ed posted:

Also it's like...why Animal? and why that outfit?

He was dressed like the Big Bossman. It was just bizarre, TNA level surprise like when Tito Ortiz debuted. Could have maybe pushed someone new but it was a guy ten tears past his prone coming off a dreadful WWF run.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Red posted:

They had video games, somehow.

Oh, those ECW games on the PS1 were so, so dire. ECW bolted onto the broken-rear end WWF War Zone / Attitude engine.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

I mean it's not like they didnt book Goldberg in a title program at the end of 1999 where he crippled Bret Hart, got accused of being a stalker, couldnt figure out how to cross a city street, and then nearly cut his arm off breaking a car window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

UnleashedDad posted:

He was dressed like the Big Bossman. It was just bizarre, TNA level surprise like when Tito Ortiz debuted. Could have maybe pushed someone new but it was a guy ten tears past his prone coming off a dreadful WWF run.

everyone remembers the Tito Ortiz but not enough people remember a few weeks later when Aces and Eights revealed the SECRET WEAPON to counter Tito Ortiz which i can not find the video for anymore it someone help me