Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Critical posted:

they found me out.

managed to finagle a small raise and much better job security (i got the feeling if i declined I was out on my rear end.) i consider it a lateral move with a slight incline. best part is i don't have to deal with my pants-on-head idiot boss anymore.
And yet you still have time to poo poo post with us?

That's better than a lateral move, my friend. Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Traveling with my boomer coworker again. He gets in a huff whenever a restaurant does not have sweet tea. We're in the Midwest.

I just want to get back to my special projects.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Salami Surgeon posted:

Traveling with my boomer coworker again. He gets in a huff whenever a restaurant does not have sweet tea. We're in the Midwest.

I just want to get back to my special projects.

Get him tea and packs of sugar. Maybe Diabetes can solve this

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Get him tea and packs of sugar. Maybe Diabetes can solve this

He gets pretty indignant when a waiter suggests bringing unsweet tea and some kind of sweetener.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Salami Surgeon posted:

He gets pretty indignant when a waiter suggests bringing unsweet tea and some kind of sweetener.

To be fair, it's not the same at all.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Unless the beetus and dental problems are brewed in from the factory, I'm not interested :colbert:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

My limited exposure to sweet tea has me believing that they are making a simple syrup with just enough tint from a tea bag to call it something other than syrup.

That is probably why you can’t just add packets of sugar to regular iced tea. Can’t get enough sugar dissolved in it to really spike the blood sugar.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Dumb poo poo I did at work: ordered a burger with copious amounts of bbq sauce during a business lunch. I used so many napkins and still hosed up my shirt.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Salami Surgeon posted:

See if you can get the waiter to troll him with a "Is Pepsi OK?"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I went to college in Arkansas and became a sweet tea addict for many years. Finally a few years ago I switched to unsweet tea and I use Stevia packets. It's different, but I'm glad to not be drinking all that sugar any more.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
An email string over three days:

"Hey boss I can't find a word version of form x do you know where they are? We found this super old version but nothing new."

"You can't use the old version you have to use the new version."

"I know. Where's the new version?"

"It's really important that you use the new version."

"I know. We found this directory of word documents from 2016 but my assistant and I can't find anything newer in any of the three 'forms' libraries we have."

"Your assistant should be able to help you with this, they know where the forms libraries are."

"I know she should she's a saint, but the two of us can't find anything other than the 2016 version, where did you put the new version?"

"You can't use the 2016 version."

"I know please just tell me where the new version is it's not in the forms libraries."

"We talked about this you need to just use the new version."

Fuuuuuck you

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

There is no new version

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Chaotic Flame posted:

You're right, it's not the same. You need to add the sugar to the hot tea so the sugar completely dissolves but also so the sugar can be added in quantities to create supersaturated syrup.

Knowing that there might not be sweet tea available you can:
-Have an option in mind in case they don't
-Or check the menu beforehand
-Or ask if they have sweet tea, then pick another option if they don't
-Or not get exactly what you want but add sweetener yourself
-Or just order sweet tea, when they say they only have unsweet tea just ask for sweet tea again as if they didn't hear you, when they say they don't have it ask them "How don't you have sweet tea?" and no matter the answer tell them that "It's easy to make!", then tell them "That's not how you make sweet tea!" when they suggest just adding sugar packets, then ask them to list what they have available and reluctantly pick one of those. Then complain that they don't have sweet tea. Every time.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just file a tps sheet to make sure you get the latest form from the website.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

BigHead posted:

This is the perfect time to use "per the same conversation we are continuing currently, I know that I need to use the new version. Tell me where it is"

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Just start sending the same email over and over, copy and paste. When he calls you out on it, point out how it appeared he wasn't reading them anyway

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I had my end of the year review thing, the FOM is still claiming guests are complaining about me but I have yet to see any of these when I check the guest review site. Im pretty sure hes full of poo poo, also totally poo poo at his job.
Still got a $1/hr raise so ehhh whatevs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yeah, you can't get official Sweet Tea outside the South. It's a regional specialty, suck it. When I moved to California I had to unlearn both ordering "unsweet tea, please" and "non-smoking, please". (Which eventually became a Federal requirement, but it wasn't when I lived in NC.)

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Find a BBQ joint ran by a southern transplant or a Chick-fil-A if you want sweet tea.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

BigHead posted:

"Hey boss I can't find a word version of form x do you know where they are? We found this super old version but nothing new."

"I know. We found this directory of word documents from 2016 but my assistant and I can't find anything newer in any of the three 'forms' libraries we have."

"Your assistant should be able to help you with this, they know where the forms libraries are."

"I know she should she's a saint, but the two of us can't find anything other than the 2016 version, where did you put the new version?"

"I know please just tell me where the new version is it's not in the forms libraries."

Fuuuuuck you

FYI, a jury of your peers won't convict. Follow your heart.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Dumb poo poo that happened at work: there was a power cut. Production was unaffected, but our intranet and ticket system went offline. Immediately hopped on Slack on my phone to inform the WFH people, who were just wondering if the VPN broke.

Since I had 1) a fully charged laptop, 2) my current ticket on the screen, and 3) my editor already opened to the relevant script....I just kept on working instead of twiddling my thumbs for 3 hours until the power came back, like some people. :smug:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

bet you got a bunch of recognition and a sweet raise

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
:patriot:

https://twitter.com/RealTimeWWII/status/1613295241200549891?s=20&t=VWwnuXEjQYrN5wfjhpHeGw

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

BigHead posted:

Fuuuuuck you

I don't know if it'd be a good idea since it might come off as antagonistic but I wonder what would happen if you started using the shortest, bluntest possible replies, I.E.

"Where is the new version."

"Your assistant should be able to help."

"She doesn't know."

"She should."

"She doesn't. Where is the new version?"

Because while it really shouldn't be a problem, it sorta seems like if there's any extraneous information at all in your reply ("We found the 2016 version" "We found the old version" "We looked in the form libraries" "My assistant is great") your boss seems to get distracted and fixate on that. So cut things down to one single short data point in every reply if at all possible, to wit: "Where is the new version?", leaving nothing else for your boss to get distracted by, and hammer repeatedly if necessary.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

BigHead posted:

Fuuuuuck you

Your boss doesn't know and/or is trying to train you out of asking them about things. Does your boss have an assistant that might have more than two firing synapses?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

BigHead posted:

Fuuuuuck you

Have you tried changing the version number from 2016 to 2023 and using that?

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Find a BBQ joint ran by a southern transplant or a Chick-fil-A if you want sweet tea.

Popeyes is everywhere and also sells a gallon of the sweet-diabeetus in a jug. About 261grams of sugar to dose with

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

BigHead posted:

Fuuuuuck you

This is the kind of poo poo I’ve done in person when someone is trying to “coach” me. It’s easier to resolve while forcing them to look with you though, which is what they get for trying to coach me without having any clue what the background on the coaching is.

Do your research assholes! It’s easy! I took copious notes because I know you’re gonna pull this poo poo! (I yell into the void)

Tomn posted:

I don't know if it'd be a good idea since it might come off as antagonistic but I wonder what would happen if you started using the shortest, bluntest possible replies, I.E.

"Where is the new version."

"Your assistant should be able to help."

"She doesn't know."

"She should."

"She doesn't. Where is the new version?"

Because while it really shouldn't be a problem, it sorta seems like if there's any extraneous information at all in your reply ("We found the 2016 version" "We found the old version" "We looked in the form libraries" "My assistant is great") your boss seems to get distracted and fixate on that. So cut things down to one single short data point in every reply if at all possible, to wit: "Where is the new version?", leaving nothing else for your boss to get distracted by, and hammer repeatedly if necessary.

Also, this. I started adding a summary at the top of my note because everyone I worked with, especially those above me, are apparently illiterate and unable to read the timelines I started having to put together to defend my request to fix multiple processing errors on a single medical authorization. It is our fault. loving fix it so this person can receive this necessary complicated medical procedure and entities involved with the care can get their meager payment from us.

Bored fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 12, 2023

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Cheesus posted:

And yet you still have time to poo poo post with us?

That's better than a lateral move, my friend. Congratulations!

lol fuckin nope

turns out "take a few responsibilities for AP" means take over their entire workload while they get shipped to one of our subsidiaries.

this alone would suck, but it comes with a couple of massive hurdles that have me possibly just walking out on friday

i am technically by the rules still allowed to work from home as much as I want, however checks need to be printed on a whim and signed same day to go out by 5. guess who prints the checks? since they have to be signed i am effectively tied to the office

the accounting system, which has been in implementation since May, is nowhere near close to ready for prime time but we are still forced to use it. for some reason once an invoice is entered it cannot be edited or voided in any way by anyone below top level access. which means if i gently caress up in any way I have to contact a VP to get it taken care of, even if the invoice has yet to be approved.

im such as loving idiot for having any hope about this. honestly about to quit and learn how to edit video or something, i'm so loving disheartened by all this loving nonsense

BigHead posted:

Fuuuuuck you

since my boss was an idiot i started to deconstruct emails like they were a forum post, sentence by sentence, being very clear.

an attempt to ignore and handwave like "you have to use the new version" gets a response like "I completely understand this. I am asking you, directly, where I can find the new version. Please advise clearly where it may be found." Bonus points for having someone cc'd so they can look like a moron in public.

I found it either gets an answer or a IDK 90% of the time with the other 10% ignored.

Critical fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 12, 2023

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The corporate structure of this place drives me nuts sometimes. Say I need to order thousands of dollars of materials from our regular supplier. No problem. Order whatever. Say I need a $60 part for a wonky pH meter. Well, I'm going to need to submit a request for permission to order the part that needs to be run up the chain of command and can take like a month to get permission to place the order. I keep forgetting to buy multiples of things because if it breaks I'm just sort of stuck unless I really rattle for it. But even then, a lot of tims there's no real workaround.

I said I needed a replacement probe for the pH meter back in November but nobody put in the paperwork and now they want a Berliner weisse, but without a working pH meter that's not very possible. Fortunately, it looks like the pH meter is sort of accurate after a long soak in storage liquid. I still told the restaurant manager to put in a request for an extra probe just in case. Don't want to be left high and dry again.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 12, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You need a vending machine of brewery tools and consumables

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

TotalLossBrain posted:

Unless the beetus and dental problems are brewed in from the factory, I'm not interested :colbert:

"I like my sweet tea crunchy" quote overheard in a small town BBQ joint.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

You need a vending machine of brewery tools and consumables

Knowing my luck, I'd need to scan an order request approval with all necessary stamps in order to be able to complete the transaction.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

Knowing my luck, I'd need to scan an order request approval with all necessary stamps in order to be able to complete the transaction.

That sounds very German, genau so machen wir das!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

That sounds very German, genau so machen wir das!

I think both countries share a love of massive amounts of paperwork.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

I think both countries share a love of massive amounts of paperwork.

The only difference is that you can rarely fax stuff in Germany,yes.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The steps for registering a car here for me was:

1. Go to the police headquarters for the city and request the paperwork I needed for vehicle registration.

2. Filling out that registration which includes a spot for drawing two maps detailing where I would be parking my car (one showing the parking lot and surrounding area, the other showing which spot specifically in said lot I'd be using).

3. Returning the paperwork to the police headquarters.

4. Coming back later when the paperwork I'd submitted had been reviewed and approved in order to pick up more paperwork to take with me to the road transportation bureau.

5. Taking that paperwork, along with other paperwork I had on the car with me to the road transportation bureau for approval and more paperwork to fill out.

6. Finally having my new plates put on.

Also at some point I got insurance. At least the guy at the transportation bureau was very helpful and patient with me when it came to explaining the paperwork.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

The only difference is that you can rarely fax stuff in Germany,yes.

The only time I really use fax here is when ordering CO2 and O2 canisters.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

BigHead posted:

Fuuuuuck you

Put what you want in the subject. No one ever reads the body of an email. No one scrolls down to find information already there.

At this point I think texting has broken people when it comes to short form messages. I started putting the PO number in the subject when emailing customers and I get back answers way quicker than the people that I work with that put a generic “request for information” or some such in the subject

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BigHead posted:

Fuuuuuck you
WHY

WHY ARE PEOPLE LIKE THIS

There's a reason that I believe that at least 20% of people are functionally illiterate.