Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

spice lube selling like hot cakes in sietch tabr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Finally explains Ben Shapiro: he married a Fremen woman.

Not really; she would've rendered his water fat rear end for the good of the sketch by now.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Cacator posted:

Spotlight was clearly nobody's first choice, but I'm glad the Revenant didn't win because Innaritu's a prick (refused to applaud for any awards that Fury Road won).

Really? That's terrible. Was there some kind of long running feud there, or was he just being a massive snob?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

He's just a pretentious shithead and always has been.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was openly cheering for Fury Road despite being with my coworkers at an Oscar party where we all worked on the Revenant campaign and specifically the academy campaign for it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

I was openly cheering for Fury Road despite being with my coworkers at an Oscar party where we all worked on the Revenant campaign and specifically the academy campaign for it.

True Soldier

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
shadout to all my mapes out there

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Fremen probably get a lot of kidney stones.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mozi posted:

Winifred Madgers posted:

Shadout in the streets, sandtrout in the sheets

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mozi posted:

lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Really? That's terrible. Was there some kind of long running feud there, or was he just being a massive snob?

did you see birdman? only the biggest self-absorbed prick in the world could have created that

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

kalel posted:

did you see birdman? only the biggest self-absorbed prick in the world could have created that

I did not see birdman. I only watch movies about crazy people in desert hellscapes

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Lincoln posted:

Fremen probably get a lot of kidney stones.

Usul has called a b-- aaaagghh

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

Usul has called a b-- aaaagghh

that's why the orgies happen though

oh, have a kidney stone ehh? Come sit on Usul's pillar and let the aroma of old spice and spit knock that bad boy loose

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

I did not see birdman. I only watch movies about crazy people in desert hellscapes

michael keaton does play a crazy dude in a desert hellscape... the modern film industry!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wait, I just realized the fremen ARE the kidney stones

father!

the sleeper has awakened!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

getting a newbie to drink the highly viscous spit coffee is the "the bong water gets you high" of sietch life

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

the best part of waking up is soldier spit in your cup

i need to slow down my posting but this is my favorite thread

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

kalel posted:

happy 700 pages of posting about beefswelling

Gotta keep posting till page 10191

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Riot Bimbo posted:

getting a newbie to drink the highly viscous spit coffee is the "the bong water gets you high" of sietch life

Is this part in the book - possibly in the Dune Encyclopedia - or was it made up for the Villeneuve adaptation?

Additionally, since I'm on the topic, Chani stabbing Paul in his visions is also something created for Denis' film, right?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

"There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your coffee is spit - human spit."

from "Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Additionally, since I'm on the topic, Chani stabbing Paul in his visions is also something created for Denis' film, right?

prescience is described as emerging from mentat-like training and information processing combined with the psychedelic mystic elements of Spice use to sort of spit out possible futures.

but like, showing that on a screen is hard. So you show little flashes of single possibilities. We know Chani doesn't ever harm Paul, narratively, so the depiction is just a theoretical possibility. There are a few that are like this. Where Jamis is shown being friendly to Paul, might've been a literal possibility if Paul had followed some path to that outcome.

with the way the book is, something like this fits in the idea of what prescience is, even if the scene itself is never depicted, and honestly idk if it was or not.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tree Bucket posted:

Have you seen Blood of Heroes. It’s got Rutger Hauer and Joan Chen as post apocalypse wasteland football players

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Riot Bimbo posted:

with the way the book is, something like this fits in the idea of what prescience is, even if the scene itself is never depicted, and honestly idk if it was or not.

Paul envisions meeting the Baron at one point, but he never does

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

skasion posted:

Have you seen Blood of Heroes. It’s got Rutger Hauer and Joan Chen as post apocalypse wasteland football players

!!! no, I'll have to track it down. Sounds great.

kiimo posted:

"There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your coffee is spit - human spit."

from "Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

lol
Wait til you find out what the thigh pads are for

kiimo posted:

No. Never stop posting. All these stupid posts and poop jokes and actual insights and trivia snippets all mix and merge into this extraordinarily potent mixture or blending or... i dunno, I'm sure there's a word for it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Riot Bimbo posted:

prescience is described as emerging from mentat-like training and information processing combined with the psychedelic mystic elements of Spice use to sort of spit out possible futures.

but like, showing that on a screen is hard. So you show little flashes of single possibilities. We know Chani doesn't ever harm Paul, narratively, so the depiction is just a theoretical possibility. There are a few that are like this. Where Jamis is shown being friendly to Paul, might've been a literal possibility if Paul had followed some path to that outcome.

what's cool about how dv chose to depict prescience is not only that it's consistent with the book's description (as much as it can be in a linear visual medium), but it also works as a visual metaphor for what actually comes to pass. Chani stabs Paul in the vision because she gives him the means through which "Paul Atreides may die so the Kwisatz Haderach may rise." Paul befriends Jamis in the vision because "he will show him the ways of the desert."

much like a lot of dv's dune, several readings are supported. it can work both as an externally-dependent element of adaptation, and as a self-contained element of filmic language. the visions could be possible futures (a reading explicitly confirmed by the text but not explicitly in the film) or they could be a diagetic metaphor (a reading impossible to show in the book but which the film implies through the language of the visual medium).

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
EDIT: ^^^ drat, thank you! Exactly what I was thinking of and more concise. And you remembered the line!

Riot Bimbo posted:

I know, I actually thought it was a really elegant way of depicting the uncertainty of prescience onscreen. Also, there's a line in the film, it may be Paul or it may be one of the voices speaking to him in his visions... this reminds me, I think one of these voices is still unaccounted for, and some are speculating that the voice actor credited may end up being our Ramallo or whoever the RM in Sietch Tabr was.

Anyway, there is a line I'm trying to find during one of Paul's visions of Chani killing him - it strongly implies that the 'killing' may just be a metaphor for her changing him into what he must become. Similarly, in light of this we can see his visions of Jamis' lessons being things that he 'taught' him immediately in mortal combat.

It's kind of frustrating because so far I haven't found a screenplay that actually reflects what we saw and heard in the theatre, but I know the line is there. An interesting perspective; the visions are both alternate future possibilities and symbols that Jamis does teach Paul lessons; that Chani (and the Fremen in general) do end up 'killing' him in a sense.

But yeah I don't think the actual stabby-stabby part is in the book at all. Traded it out for "tell me of your homeworld, Usul."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

but this is my favorite thread

:haibrow:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

do you guys think the water from the still suit tastes weird? Like a bit salty or tangy? I think its got a little bit of zip to it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Caesar Saladin posted:

do you guys think the water from the still suit tastes weird? Like a bit salty or tangy? I think its got a little bit of zip to it.

It's got that hint of cinnamon to it, just like a butthole.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

kiimo posted:

“The Goons were supreme in that quality the ancients called "spannungsbogen" -- which is the self-imposed delay between desire for posting and the act of reaching out to post.”

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Caesar Saladin posted:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kiimo posted:

this is my favorite thread

:ibadpop::hf::ibadpop:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Would you say it makes you feel profoundly stirred?

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Tree Bucket posted:

profoundly stirred?

Ahh, like Alia's pot in the Children mini-series

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It even looks like he says rear end and dirt in the animation

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

True Soldier War Boy

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

If you can't stand up you can dewritos

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Some cross posting:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That's no Dune