Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

it took me a while to get over my own vanity and enjoy things im bad at but it’s a good place to be in

zen mind, beginner's mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lmao

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

jesus WEP posted:

it took me a while to get over my own vanity and enjoy things im bad at but it’s a good place to be in

well said

post hole digger posted:

zen mind, beginner's mind

that one is good, i also like the four agreements, particularly the one about having a strong sense of self and not taking things personally

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
fart

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mystes posted:

Ah here:

thank you!

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Had to actually concentrate and puzzle out a difficult problem the whole work day, feels good I gotta say

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i love when i get to do that, and am afforded the time to actually do it. best part of the job imo

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 12, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
my nose started bleeding from sneezing i guess and it got all over my shirt :mad:

it (was) a white shirt

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

just tell people you went to a gwar concert

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Beeftweeter posted:

my nose started bleeding from sneezing i guess and it got all over my shirt :mad:

it (was) a white shirt

hydrogen peroxide should take that right out

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

hydrogen peroxide should take that right out

lol i'll have to get my wife to pick some up

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Beeftweeter posted:

did you break your legs too?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

cls: got my car detailed today, yay. noticed someone dented it after i drove it down there. boo.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Roosevelt posted:

did you break your legs too?

nah i hadn't showered in 3 days lol

fixed that though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lord fifth posted:

if you said this to cs students at my school youd be bombarded with bad reviews. mfs hate understanding how computers work

i teach an introductory programming class and it's all c++

(technically it's arduino but the arduino "language" is just a header file full of macros)

i am generally a strong believer that anyone can learn anything given enough time and effort. brains are incredibly plastic and there is no such thing as someone who just "can't do math" or something. disabilities like dyslexia or dyscalculia exist, of course, but there are still examples of people who put in a herculean effort and are able to overcome them to astonishing extents.

but my programming class really puzzles me. some people understand all the concepts instantly and run way ahead of the class, and only ever need my help when they run into quirks and edge cases. others will still be struggling with week 2 stuff at the end of the course. i am still not sure what makes such an enormous difference; it's by far the largest spread of outcomes in any course i've taught. i refuse to believe that some people just can't do it. my guess right now is that the talented ones are just people who were already curious about math and logic and patterns, and as they explored their interests they were inadvertently teaching themselves the foundations of programming, while other people genuinely have zero background.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I think the way of thinking just comes more naturally to some people. I've always found programming to be relatively intuitive to pick up, to where I have a lot of difficulty explaining concepts sometimes because I know how thing works but putting thing into words isn't even something I consciously think of when I think of how to do thing.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
some people form the right mental models right away, some need help forming them, some never form good ones at all

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The biggest skill necessary to program is to be able to get mad at the computer and not leave immediately

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if you find yourself muttering "I hate computers" to yourself but youre still typing away you're on the right track

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

jesus WEP posted:

pushing forty and I still regularly get pissed at myself for - gasp - daring to be imperfect

it's so stupid and nonsensical, and I tell myself so when frustration peaks, but nevertheless

:sigh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

idk whether that being another thing to blame in part on being autistic makes that better or worse lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

probably my biggest struggle was getting away from the idea that there's a right way and a wrong way, when actually there is just the ways that works for you and the ways that do not.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Sagebrush posted:

(technically it's arduino but the arduino "language" is just a header file full of macros)

i am generally a strong believer that anyone can learn anything given enough time and effort. brains are incredibly plastic and there is no such thing as someone who just "can't do math" or something. disabilities like dyslexia or dyscalculia exist, of course, but there are still examples of people who put in a herculean effort and are able to overcome them to astonishing extents.

but my programming class really puzzles me. some people understand all the concepts instantly and run way ahead of the class, and only ever need my help when they run into quirks and edge cases. others will still be struggling with week 2 stuff at the end of the course. i am still not sure what makes such an enormous difference; it's by far the largest spread of outcomes in any course i've taught. i refuse to believe that some people just can't do it. my guess right now is that the talented ones are just people who were already curious about math and logic and patterns, and as they explored their interests they were inadvertently teaching themselves the foundations of programming, while other people genuinely have zero background.

i was a teaching assistant for a data structures class taught in c++. the problem with that class was that the students had no c++ exposure (they knew java), so they were trying to learn the data structures at the same time they were trying to learn c++. this just didn't work very well. i spent a lot of time hanging out in the computer lab helping them with segfaults

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The real fun of a hobby is getting pretty good at it eventually and just casually accomplishing things

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I do treat posting like a hobby.

I don't aim to be good or accomplished in my hobbies, I aim to do dumb things to figure out if they work.

Sometimes they do! Most of the time they do not. C'est la vie.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sagebrush posted:

i do not program the computer, op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Beeftweeter posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

now that's a good wife

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cat Face Joe posted:

i do not program the computer, op

livin the dream

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

livin the dream

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

cjs: love to listen to all my teammates talk about how they didn't complete their yearly development objectives last year, nbd, while i pretend i'm not on the precipice of getting fired because of being late on a standard document that my very upset manager still hasn't published two months later

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

Sagebrush posted:

i know a lot of people who think of programming as a goal in itself and not a way to write down an idea and i think this explains some of it. these are very smart students with good backgrounds, too; they just care a lot more about the traits immediately visible to an employer than what might make them the best cs student. the popularity of leetcode doesnt help this imo, it seems to encourage memorizing patterns instead of getting real understanding

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
if you're gonna pay $$$ to study computer science at a university, you might as well try to learn some computer science while you're there. you have the rest of your life to cram leetcode for job interviews

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i was a teaching assistant for a data structures class taught in c++. the problem with that class was that the students had no c++ exposure (they knew java), so they were trying to learn the data structures at the same time they were trying to learn c++. this just didn't work very well. i spent a lot of time hanging out in the computer lab helping them with segfaults

idk, forcing a java developer to think/care about memory usage is kind of funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSmKiws-4NU

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

i took an “ introduction to programming “ course and it was java. the professor said when he started teaching they taught c++ but too many people were failing. when they changed to java people’s grades got a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i learned c++ in high school

before that it was vb 5/6 and a ton of people failed out afterwards lol